View Full Version : Fiesta Bowl

ljbab728
01-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Congrats to OSU from an OU fan. What an exciting game.
Now who wants to watch another 9 to 6 game for the national championship? Snoooooooze.

MDot
01-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Congratulations to OSU. It was hard to watch but they pulled it out. GO Pokes!!!

venture
01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Fantastic game. Definitely more interesting than the stupid BCS Title game will be this year.

Another side story...Big 12...6 and 1 in the bowls so far with just KSU to go. That speaks volumes on the strength of the Big 12. Well, if you go by the same standards all these other people use when they try to talk up their conference (bowl matchups or OOC games).

Thunder
01-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Not suppose to have two same conferences in a bowl game. LSU and AL will be boring.

OSU must've sent people to hosptials tonite.

MikeOKC
01-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Fantastic game. Definitely more interesting than the stupid BCS Title game will be this year.

Another side story...Big 12...6 and 1 in the bowls so far with just KSU to go. That speaks volumes on the strength of the Big 12. Well, if you go by the same standards all these other people use when they try to talk up their conference (bowl matchups or OOC games).

Some of those Big 12 wins make you wonder about the conference defense. But 6-1 is 6-1.

I'll be the first to say it: How incredibly sad for that poor red shirt freshman kicker who had a chance to win the game for Stanford, not once - but twice - and missed them both. I'm happy for the victory, but this one did, in fact, take a bit of 'luck' (pardon the pun).

ljbab728
01-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Well I'm sure that the SEC will say we got two wins from their future members, LOL.
We've got a win from our future member, TCU, with West Virginia still to go Wednesday night. So that argument won't fly.

ljbab728
01-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Some of those Big 12 wins make you wonder about the conference defense. But 6-1 is 6-1.

I'll be the first to say it: How incredibly sad for that poor red shirt freshman kicker who had a chance to win the game for Stanford, not once - but twice - and missed them both. I'm happy for the victory, but this one did, in fact, take a bit of 'luck' (pardon the pun).

I'm sure the Big Ten (3 - 6) would be happy to have the Big 12's record right now defense or not. LOL
And ask Boise about the importance of missed field goals. That's just part of the game even if luck is a part of it.

venture
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
So how things stand so far...

ACC: 2-4
Big East: 2-1
Big Ten: 3-6
Big 12: 6-1
C-USA: 3-1
Independents: 1-1
MAC: 3-1
MWC: 2-3
PAC 12: 2-5
SEC: 4-2
Sun Belt: 1-1
WAC: 0-3

ljbab728
01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
The worst that the Big 12 can finish is 6 - 2 and the best the SEC can finish is 6 - 3.

MikeOKC
01-02-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm sure the Big Ten (3 - 6) would be happy to have the Big 12's record right now defense or not. LOL
And ask Boise about the importance of missed field goals. That's just part of the game even if luck is a part of it.

Oh, I agree completely. I just can't help but feel bad for a very lonely and sad 19-year-old kid tonight. To turn an old phrase upside-down, sometimes we can miss seeing the tree for the forest. Missing a chance to be the hero twice on national TV would be hard for anyone - let alone a teenager. I hope the kid turns into a star kicker and can point to tonight as the night that turned him around. I would tell Jordan Williamson: adapt, overcome and.....perseverance.

While I'll be accused of being a Stanford supporter (I was pulling for OSU all night), I might as well say this, too. Andrew Luck is one great quarterback. Luck and Weeden are in two different leagues. Luck will be a superstar in the NFL - Weeden might make a good journeyman. It's late at 29 to start off as a QB in the NFL. But, he could make a good backup/journeyman. Of course, who knows?

ljbab728
01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Oh, I agree completely. I just can't help but feel bad for a very lonely and sad 19-year-old kid tonight. To turn an old phrase upside-down, sometimes we can miss seeing the tree for the forest. Missing a chance to be the hero twice on national TV would be hard for anyone - let alone a teenager. I hope the kid turns into a star kicker and can point to tonight as the night that turned him around. I would tell Jordan Williamson: adapt, overcome and.....perseverance.

I'm sure that player is feeling exactly as you describe but that's part of sports. It teaches a lot of life lessons. He will find out later that it's not the end of everything for him. Life will go on and he will have many other opportunites in his life to succeed in more important ways.

Native Okie
01-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Boone Pickens and Jerry Jones should team up and invite the winner of LSU / Alabama to a game in Dallas 3 weeks from now.

ljbab728
01-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Boone Pickens and Jerry Jones should team up and invite the winner of LSU / Alabama to a game in Dallas 3 weeks from now.

There probably won't be a winner. Neither team will ever score in the next three weeks.

Sheetkeecker
01-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Mike Gundy. He was a great player at OSU. He came back home to coach in an old rickety stadium. LOOK what this guy has done--with the help of fans and T. Boone Pickens. It is quite a story. I think his story might be enough to push OSU over the edge if the BCS Title game is another dull one like it was when they played beforeand Alabama wins.

OU's win over Iowa will help their computer ranking...but look out for the DARK HORSE!

They chuckled at him a few years back when he said he was a MAN. He didn't lie.

dcsooner
01-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Congrats to OSU from an OU fan. What an exciting game.
Now who wants to watch another 9 to 6 game for the national championship? Snoooooooze.

Echo these comments from another OU grad

Sheetkeecker
01-03-2012, 04:53 AM

There you have it--right there. :fighting3

kevinpate
01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Tip of the hat to the Pokes.

dmoor82
01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Congrats to OSTATE,but man ohh man I'd hate to be the kicker from Stanford,coulda iced it twice!

Just the facts
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM

They don't even have to leave Stillwater to know the importance of missed field goals. If the OSU kicker makes the one at the end of regulation against Iowa St then OSU in the NC game.

Jersey Boss
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Way to go OSU. BTW, Mike Gundy, after that victory last night you have earned the right to ask for an additional 500k/per year over what you were asking before the bowl victory. Pay the man, Pickens, he earned it.

venture
01-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Way to go OSU. BTW, Mike Gundy, after that victory last night you have earned the right to ask for an additional 500k/per year over what you were asking before the bowl victory. Pay the man, Pickens, he earned it.

Agree. It also says a lot when a coach says they want to retire at that school. Stoops hasn't even said that, though it is looking like it.

MadMonk
01-03-2012, 03:06 PM
The Poke's represented the state well; congrats to them.

RadicalModerate
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I loved it that OSU won.
Even if a humble kicker
has to bear
"the agony of defeat" . . .

(and hooking an easy field goal)

There's probably a sermon in there somewhere.
Or, if not a sermon, at least a homily.

Perhaps involving golf?

Snowman
01-03-2012, 06:18 PM

It also reflects how the bowls teams are matched up, their has been years that we were 1 and 5; but if you looked at the rankings of teams, the teams that should win did. Unfortunately a lot of bowls are just not good match-ups.

Jon27
01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Congrats OSU, you certainly deserved it!!! - from another diehard OU fan.