View Full Version : emergency call center rudeness

mranderson
04-14-2005, 07:31 AM
On Steve Summers' program this morning, he played a tape of a woman calling for police that was quite insulting to the woman. Here is some of what it said.

She had two daughters ages 12 and 14 who were fighting violantly. The younger one, the woman described as being as big as she was, so she could not stop the fight, and decided to have police intervene. She called emergency services. The call taker while reviewing the event said "do you want us to shoot them?" The woman immediatly told the man she felt that was not funny. He replied with the fact is was a joke. She asked his name and threatened to file a complaint. The man appologized, and went on. He then placed her on hold (time on hold was not clear but appeared to be quite short), then reviewed again. He summerized the ages and the event. The woman was adigtated at the fact he did not remember facts. He then told her police were on an "emergency" call and advised her he would dispatch them as soon as he could. She wanted them right then and not "as soon as he could."

Based on what I have said, what do you think of this call? What would you do?

Being in the postion of a call center employee, now and in the past, I will say this from an inside point of view.

The man was probably out of line with the joke, but he appologized. That should have been enough. He was only trying to ease the woman.

Call centers have policies and procedures. If the employee does not follow them, they can be fired. They must use "required dialouge," required procedures, and other things by company policy. If the call center says he must rephrase the event, then he must rephrase the event. He was only trying to make sure he had the facts correct.

Police have priorities. This call was probably a priority two call, which means it is placed behind events like armed robbery, homicide, and similar events. He should have told the woman the call they were on, and told her they would be dispatched. She probably still would not understand because most people do not understand jurisdictional boundries or call priority.

In short, I feel both parties were out of line. More the caller than the call taker. At least he appologized.

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 07:54 AM
I agree. He was out of line, but she was a complete beeotch.

I'd think from time to time, call center employees envision saying things to certain callers. This guy crossed the line and actually said it. Oops for him.

But seriously, the way that caller was behaving, I can understand why her children are a couple of little brats.

renffahcs
04-14-2005, 09:25 AM
This was in the north Fort Worth burb of Watagua. The story was on all the TV and radio talk shows last night and this morn. As for my opinion I agree with what Midtowner said!!

There was also a recent incident in Irving/Dallas where a person with road rage was chasing another guy. The guy being chased called 911. The incident started in Irving but entered Dallas. Since the chase was now in Dallas the Irving operator tried to transfer the call to a Dallas operator. The Dallas operator refused to help saying the incident began in Irving. Arguing began between the two operators while the guy needing help was cusing them both. The guy being chased was ok and the Dallas operator was disclipined and they all lived happily ever after!!!

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 09:42 AM
This was in the north Fort Worth burb of Watagua. The story was on all the TV and radio talk shows last night and this morn. As for my opinion I agree with what Midtowner said!!

There was also a recent incident in Irving/Dallas where a person with road rage was chasing another guy. The guy being chased called 911. The incident started in Irving but entered Dallas. Since the chase was now in Dallas the Irving operator tried to transfer the call to a Dallas operator. The Dallas operator refused to help saying the incident began in Irving. Arguing began between the two operators while the guy needing help was cusing them both. The guy being chased was ok and the Dallas operator was disclipined and they all lived happily ever after!!!

The criteria for hiring operators in DFW must not be as high as it is here. Our operators are very, very professional from what I've experienced.

mranderson
04-14-2005, 10:24 AM
The criteria for hiring operators in DFW must not be as high as it is here. Our operators are very, very professional from what I've experienced.

I will comment on DFW. I had a problem with loud music down the street, so I called emergency services (I do not use the term "911"). They told me in a sharp tone that they were for emergencies only. I was dumbfounded. What number did they EXPECT me to call?

In Oklahoma City, I had the same problem with noise, but received a very warm reception from the call taker. Not only was the problem solved quickly, the police actually had to arrest the kid because he tried to tell the cop to mind his own business, then kicked him. The trouble maker has sense moved.

Is it differences in training? I have no idea.

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I will comment on DFW. I had a problem with loud music down the street, so I called emergency services (I do not use the term "911"). They told me in a sharp tone that they were for emergencies only. I was dumbfounded. What number did they EXPECT me to call?

In Oklahoma City, I had the same problem with noise, but received a very warm reception from the call taker. Not only was the problem solved quickly, the police actually had to arrest the kid because he tried to tell the cop to mind his own business, then kicked him. The trouble maker has sense moved.

Is it differences in training? I have no idea.

Perhaps Keith could enlighten us?

It's not a real selling point to the city, but it really should be. Is there some group that awards outstanding 911 call centers? If not, there should be.

renffahcs
04-14-2005, 01:04 PM
IMO, although annoying, sombody playing loud music is NOT an emergency. The police still have regular numbers for things like loud music that are published in every local phone book.

mranderson
04-14-2005, 01:26 PM
IMO, although annoying, sombody playing loud music is NOT an emergency. The police still have regular numbers for things like loud music that are published in every local phone book.

Then they need to advertise those numbers like they do the one you label emergency. The telephone number 9-1-1 is widely known for securing public service personnel. Very few people have another number handy.

Midtowner
04-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Then they need to advertise those numbers like they do the one you label emergency. The telephone number 9-1-1 is widely known for securing public service personnel. Very few people have another number handy.

Some cities have a 3-1-1 program to reach police in non-emergency situations.

I wonder why we don't have that here?

Ms.Relaxationstation
04-21-2005, 08:12 AM
He was out of line and should have lost his job. It's my opinion that regardless of what he said and the apology that followed, his job is that of a high stress emergency nature and if he is NOT able to conform to those guidelines he needs to look elsewhere for employment. I don't think the women was being a beeeeoootch at all. Had it been me, I would have redefined that term altogether. People think they can say or do anything in life and then just apologize and all is forgiven. Where is the accountability for what you say??

mranderson
04-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Granted. It was not the most intellegent thing to say, however, people make mistakes. Sometimes an appology is enough. Plus, after hearing this call, the woman was quite rude.

Speaking as a person with a lot of call center experience, a lot of times, callers are quite abusive. Rudeness is a two way street, and in this womans case, she should have accepted the appology and moved on.

Ms.Relaxationstation
04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm sure the man who had his left leg amputated when it should have been his right was OK with an apology too, huh?? THe woman didn't call 911 to be joked with, she called because it was an emergency. Maybe the operator should take his sense of humor on the road and do stand up.

mranderson
04-21-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm sure the man who had his left leg amputated when it should have been his right was OK with an apology too, huh?? THe woman didn't call 911 to be joked with, she called because it was an emergency. Maybe the operator should take his sense of humor on the road and do stand up.

There are exceptions. A case like the one in the quote is different than the one cited at the beginning of this thread.