View Full Version : Insight Bowl

ljbab728
12-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Well it was a win which is about all you can say about it. Not a pretty performance by any standard but they did enough to beat an average Iowa team. Three bowl wins in a row now for a team that couldn't win one for a while.

The most significant thing I heard all night was a statement by ESPN that it was likely that Mike Stoops will return to OU as co-defensive coordinator with Venables. They said that Venables has stated he was OK with that.

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
One thing is for sure - they need to work on their cooler dumping during the off-season. I am not sure how you wiff on a cooler dump but they did. Then on the second try dueling coolers ran into each other.

ljbab728
12-30-2011, 11:41 PM
One thing is for sure - they need to work on their cooler dumping during the off-season. I am not sure how you wiff on a cooler dump but they did. Then on the second try dueling coolers ran into each other.

Stoops showed some nimble feet in avoiding the first cooler. LOL

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 11:42 PM
It seems the opposing offense isn't the only thing that could escape the OU defense this year.

ljbab728
12-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Another interesting stat from ESPN is that now OU has more 10 win seasons than any other team in the NCAA. They broke a tie with Bama.

Thunder
12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
For the first time in recorded history, we had a Sky Cam fallen to the ground. I instantly started to record it and save on DVR for future enjoyment.

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 11:48 PM
How is that possible - Bama also had a 10 win season this year. I guess maybe Alabama tied OU on Nov 19th with their 10th win, and then OU took it back with their 10th win tonight.

ljbab728
12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
How is that possible - Bama also had a 10 win season this year. I guess maybe Alabama tied OU on Nov 19th with their 10th win, and then OU took it back with their 10th win tonight.

Exactly.

Thunder
12-30-2011, 11:57 PM

How can OU obtain a 10th win twice in a season? :LolLolLol

TaoMaas
12-31-2011, 10:26 AM
I thought for sure that OU was going to give that game away last night. I think some of the sportscasters had it right...Iowa was excited to be there, but OU was not. Yeah, it was about an even match for the current OU team...with all it's injury problems. But the OU team that started out the season should have been up there with LSU and Bama, contending for a national championship.

dcsooner
12-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Was not excited about the insight bowl and for the first time did not watch OU in a bowl game on TV. Also not excited about the changed big 12 and the future matchups with league members

Soonerman
12-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Was not excited about the insight bowl and for the first time did not watch OU in a bowl game on TV. Also not excited about the changed big 12 and the future matchups with league members

This I sure wish OU would've went to the SEC when they had the chance.

venture
12-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Eh, it sucks not having Nebraska or A&M left anymore, but the other two were alright. Mizzou did contend every now and then, but CU was a joke. With a 10-win season being a "bad year" for OU, it shows how spoiled people have gotten. Hopefully all the fair weather fans will go away that make enjoying the team less enjoyable. Granted if they get in the BCS title game again, there will be OU car flags on 80% of the vehicles and people will all be thumping their chests on how great of a fan they are. Then they will go run and hide again when it isn't fashionable to be a fan.

At least the Thunder isn't filled with a bunch of bandwagon fans. Everyone just wants to support the home team for the most part regardless of their performance - well hopefully. We'll see what happens next year with OU. I think the only school committed on the non-conference schedule is Notre Dame. Of course the WVU thing needs to be resolved quick or another school brought in to meet the 10-school requirement.

Native Okie
01-01-2012, 01:32 AM
What a difference this year would have been without the conference defections.
OSWho would not have played Iowa State, so no loss there. Game with OU would have been in Norman, Baylor schedule would have been different as well. Quite possible the defections cost OSWho a shot at the title and gave RGIII the trophy. Oh well we gained TCWho, and West By God Virginia.

ou48A
01-01-2012, 07:54 PM
It wasn’t the year OU fans had hoped for to be sure.

There is a great deal of work that needs to be done before OU can get back to being a national championship caliber football team.
But Bob is making changes.

In spite of the frustrations anyone calling them self a good OU fan need to stay positive and keep supporting the program with words and deeds.
OU would like to make football facility improvements.
So keep buying your tickets and increase your donations if you can.

mcca7596
01-01-2012, 08:40 PM
So keep buying your tickets and increase your donations if you can.

If you've got enough money to donate to a football program that doesn't need it then let me tell you about my college football program... it needs some start-up funds.

ljbab728
01-01-2012, 09:00 PM
If you've got enough money to donate to a football program that doesn't need it then let me tell you about my college football program... it needs some start-up funds.

There is no such thing as a football program that doesn't need donations.

ou48A
01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Relative to its peers in the college football world the OU football program could use many millions of dollars’ worth of donations.
With the goals that the OU athletic department has in mind there is a need of perhaps hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of donations.

mcca7596
01-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm just saying we're talking about DONATING to a COLLEGE FOOTBALL program, regardless of what their goals are. Sorry, but it rubs me the wrong way, especially coming off of the holiday season and being reminded of people/organizations who truly need donations.

The state, and the nation as a whole could stand to take a breather in regards to the religion of sports. Just my rare little rant...

ljbab728
01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm just saying we're talking about DONATING to a COLLEGE FOOTBALL program, regardless of what their goals are. Sorry, but it rubs me the wrong way, especially coming off of the holiday season and being reminded of people/organizations who truly need donations.

The state, and the nation as a whole could stand to take a breather in regards to the religion of sports. Just my rare little rant...

That's a lofty goal but it's not going to happen.

ou48A
01-01-2012, 09:52 PM

OU football has helped built a high level of pride that bleeds over into virtually all aspects of the university.

Football has opened the door for many millions of dollars’ worth of donations to OU academic causes.

This has elevated the university ability to conduct important life altering research and be a stronger force in elevating the state’s economy. Obviously this has its limits but it helps advance the state’s economy and in turn this generally means more wealth to make bigger donations to various charitable causes.

It’s important to know that when state funding is at historically low percentage levels that the OU football program gave the University of Oklahoma about 9 million dollars last year for academics.

By comparison the last I knew (3 or 4 years ago) OSU took 2.5 million from state tax payers to help fund its athletic department.

mcca7596
01-01-2012, 10:38 PM
OU football has helped built a high level of pride that bleeds over into virtually all aspects of the university.

Football has opened the door for many millions of dollars’ worth of donations to OU academic causes.

This has elevated the university ability to conduct important life altering research and be a stronger force in elevating the state’s economy. Obviously this has its limits but it helps advance the state’s economy and in turn this generally means more wealth to make bigger donations to various charitable causes.

It’s important to know that when state funding is at historically low percentage levels that the OU football program gave the University of Oklahoma about 9 million dollars last year for academics.

By comparison the last I knew (3 or 4 years ago) OSU took 2.5 million from state tax payers to help fund its athletic department.

Great points.

Just the facts
01-02-2012, 07:35 AM
This I sure wish OU would've went to the SEC when they had the chance.

Hold on to your hat then becasue the shuffle isn't over. It just entered a new phase.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2011-12-28/big-ten-pac-12-scheduling-agreement/52253122/1

The Big Ten and Pacific-12 are extending their partnership well beyond the Rose Bowl, announcing Wednesday that they'll step up interconference scheduling, cross-promote on their respective television networks and even set up academic and cultural exchanges.

Without formally expanding either 12-team league, officials say they expect many of the same benefits from collaboration. Each league will extend its reach. There'll be more to sell to TV. Revenues should rise accordingly.

"It's sort of in lieu of what some other people are doing (with expansion)," Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany said.

"Our idea is you can't stand still. You have to build in an environment where people are competing for attention, where they're competing to have the best competitive assets and to present themselves in the best way. I think both of us believe … this is the most constructive way for us to do that."

Together, the Big Ten and Pac-12 encompass 15 states holding 43% of the nation's population and 22 of its top 50 television markets.

kevinpate
01-02-2012, 08:50 AM

Is there an OOF* t shirt in your future?

* Occupy Owen Field

mcca7596
01-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Is there an OOF* t shirt in your future?

* Occupy Owen Field

Nah LOL

dankrutka
01-02-2012, 11:23 AM
The OU football program provides exposure and some money to the university, but I think the impact is often overstated. Without OU football I think OU is in a similar position today. Who knows... maybe some of these donors would have given to academics instead of athletics without such a successful football program?

dcsooner
01-02-2012, 11:38 AM
OU and OSU are now relegated to relative obscurity in college football. The big 12 is a boring amalgamation of relatively unappealing 2d tier acacemic institutions and football programs outside of 2 to 3. The level of interest in Big 12 football, I predict will diminish as better and more marquee football is played between teams in the 3 super conferences