View Full Version : What do you think of Tulsa's arena design?

thecains
04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
What do you guys think of their new arena? And do you think the Ford center has a better look?

go to www.cesar-pelli.com

then go to projects, new work and the tulsa arena.

mranderson
04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Ford looks better. Tulsa's arena is too futuristic looking.

thecains
04-13-2005, 08:46 PM
The ford center is waaay to generic for me.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-13-2005, 08:51 PM
You created two threads...

More spam from thecains.

thecains
04-13-2005, 08:54 PM
why dont you just get off my back? Every time i post you have some immature or disrecspectful thing to say to me.....

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-13-2005, 09:36 PM
I guess I am sorry.

Although people have been shoving words down my throat all day long, and you are no exception.

OMA Luv
04-13-2005, 09:39 PM
While a big arena the Ford Center is on the plain side. The Tulsa Arena reminds me of a modern version of Austin's arena. Tulsa's isn't my favorite design.

thecains
04-13-2005, 09:40 PM
I understand where you are coming from.............I hate my job.

okcpulse
04-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Why do you hate your job, thecains?

I don't like Tulsa's arean design. Yes, it is a spectacle, but I don't care for it. I don't care for Ford Center's design either. But you must remember the Ford Center was built for the purpose of having an arena, not to have a landmark.

I am sure in the future the Ford Center can be remodeled, and believe it or not it was designed for that purpose since Oklahoma City's MAPS budget was tightening, but my favorite design is the AA Arena in Dallas.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
You don't do a comparison w/o pics.

http://www.acecok.org/Ford%20Center.jpg

http://www.vision2025.info/includes/buttonlinks/welcome_photo.jpg

thecains
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
There is really no way to campare the two until The Tulsa one is finished....whic we will have to wait another year and a half to see......I like Tulsa's because it is different and will hopefully give arena's an identity. From The comparison pix Tulsa's looks like a flower in bloom.

thecains
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.vision2025.info/project.php?project=arenaschematicdesignpresented; category=tulsaregionalconventioneventscenter

check out this link...it has some more cool pix and the arena schematics.

rxis
04-13-2005, 10:10 PM
I first read about Tulsa's planned arena in an industry trade publication. I like the design as planned; however, I'm not sure if its $$$ best spent.

zuluwarrior0760
04-13-2005, 10:26 PM
If you compare the Ford Center to any arena in the country constructed
over the last 5-10 years, we got an absolute bargain......

Although I agree the facility could have been much more dramatic and less
"generic".....the fact is:

We got a 20,000 seat arena for 70million

Tulsa's projected cost is nearly 200........

No way a few year's inflation accounts for that........

this had better be one world class facility......

and please please please Tulsa, don't skinny up the seats
to get it to 23000.....people are all FAT now!

Patrick
04-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I think it all depends on what the purpose is for the arena. Obviously, I think the Tulsa arena is more attractive in appearance. There is nothing attractive about the exterior of the Ford Center. But, as I 've said before, I know most concert stars could care less about architecture...they just want t fill seats...so I think it was smart of us to try to shoot for that 20,000 seat mark at the expense of decent architecture.

Still, I commend Tulsa for coming up with this design. It is first class, and I think it fits well with Tulsa's overall upscale artsy feel!

metro
04-14-2005, 12:49 AM
You created two threads... More spam from thecains

This coming from the spammaster and the one who started posting duplicate threads?

floater
04-14-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm not ashamed to say I think it's fantastic. I applaud Tulsa for being bold. What it can do (and probably will) to better the arena's impact is to change every marketing piece to reflect this new icon. In terms of urban design, it's a rougher fit. Tulsa should have some buildings nearby echo some of its patterns. Otherwise, it's a singular building with no context, and this great design will have no real end. If it's the beginning something new, then Tulsa is onto something.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of the Ford Center stylistically, but what it does is provide a transition from the large-scale convention district to Bricktown. From concrete to brick. It fits and is nicely situated between the arts district and Bricktown.

Finally, enough of this Tulsa-OKC bashing. We need to face that fact that they contrast and complement each other. Each has strengths and weaknesses that are opposite of the other's. They are different beasts. Oklahoma is in too shallow a position relative to other states for the advocates of both not to be touting the other's strong points. Remember that the internet is a global forum, and every time we bash the other city, it reflects badly on the state as a whole. When we represent ourselves on other city/travel forums, remember that OKC and Tulsa are the same in other's minds. It's all Oklahoma to them.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
There is really no way to campare the two until The Tulsa one is finished....whic we will have to wait another year and a half to see......

Well you brought it up.

I like Tulsa's because it is different and will hopefully give arena's an identity. From The comparison pix Tulsa's looks like a flower in bloom.

More like a plastic model to me... :artist: < not me.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-14-2005, 01:43 PM
This coming from the spammaster and the one who started posting duplicate threads?

I would love you to give me the link to recent spam, and any duplicate threads and I will delete them myself, print the paper and eat it ink and all.