View Full Version : 2012 and trains still have to blow horns?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

RadicalModerate
05-23-2012, 06:01 PM
That should be mandated to replace the current version of train horns.
In the interests of peace with Torea.

boscorama
05-23-2012, 07:45 PM
I rather enjoy the sound (romantic that I am) but I didn't decide to live next door to one. I mean, the train tracks were there first, right?

:pink_elep

torea
05-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Nope, the train tracks were created by humans (unless you believe in dwarfs)

More important: the loud repetitive train honking noise (for each crossing) is a new rule, recently introduced by the FRA (Federal Railroad Administration)

Just a few years ago (around 2008-2009) this rule became enforced by the FRA.

The result is that you and millions of other citizens are now forced to "enjoy" the this "romantic" honking pollution day and night.

No safety improvement & Huge additional train noise pollution.

Congratulations FRA!

RadicalModerate
05-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Hve you ever read Don Quixote?
It was about jousting with windmills.
On account of a lack of grease.
And the noise therefrom.

The X in quiXote stands for railroad crossing.

The J in jousting stands for Torea and Train Whistles.

torea
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes, long time ago I did read several times "Don Quichotte de la Mancha"

And if you are talking about the same book, we agree to never be afraid to attack huge "Institutions"

The FRA might seem difficult to "correct" but who knows...

After all, just as the railroad tracks, the FRA has been created by humans, as decided by our "politicians".

You and me as everyone else will decide about the future of these politicians who could improve our administration and reduce bureaucracy.

The FRA is a perfect example of a useless bureaucracy - or windmill - if you prefer.

boscorama
05-24-2012, 08:38 PM
I meant, the tracks and trains were there before people who live in homes nearby. You should stay far from railroad crossings, for good reason. Or did the tracks come along after you bought your property?

Not to toot my own horn :rock_on:

ExtremistPullup
06-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Maybe if the power goes out and the lights and arms don't work you know a train is coming.

torea
06-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Last week I made a tourist tour in California and while I visited Santa Barbara I enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, nice city and beautiful beach until ...:

There came the trains again, loud honking, 4 times for every crossing, echoing from the mountains all over this peaceful city.

Congratulations Federal Railroad Administration!
Your new FRA honking rules create heavy noise pollution, disturb citizens and tourists in one of the most beautiful places in the USA.

venture
06-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that this poster, whose original thread was locked because it had run its course, has not contributed ONE post (according to the "view posts" option on their profile) to any other thread on this forum? They just keep rehashing this same topic while providing nothing to the rest of the discussion community here at OKCTalk. I don't really see what more can be said about this particular concern that hasn't been said already.

OKCisOK4me
06-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Dude is a tool. The best thing we can do is to not feed him.

ljbab728
06-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Maybe he's related to Watcher (Opinionated).

OKCisOK4me
06-22-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't know who Watcher is, but everytime I see his name, it makes me think of tortillas...

venture
06-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Mmmmmm...now just need some butter and honey.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps48431_TH1789929D36A.jpg

kevinpate
06-22-2012, 06:10 AM
I love the blare of train horns in the morning. They ain't so bad the rest of the day either.

RadicalModerate
06-22-2012, 06:45 AM
. . . "they sound like . . . victory."
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nY72TdvmuKk/SmER99rOHWI/AAAAAAAABPI/ZQPHtaMqErM/s400/napalm.jpg
(go back up to post #54 and click the arrow
to provide inspiring background music for re-reading
this thread)

torea
06-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Last week I made a tourist tour in California and while I visited Santa Barbara I enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, nice city and beautiful beach until ...:

There came the trains again, loud honking, 4 times for every crossing, echoing from the mountains all over this peaceful city.

Congratulations Federal Railroad Administration!
Your new FRA honking rules create heavy noise pollution, disturb citizens and tourists in one of the most beautiful places in the USA.

RadicalModerate
06-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Can anyone spare a few quarters to stack on the tonearm?
This record appears to be broken.

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 07:13 AM

ahhhh memories

RadicalModerate
06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
(This guy is ready to sign Torea's petition regarding train horns) . . .
P-6Q2HImKyI

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Lol

venture
06-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Hate when that happens.

http://teachontheedge.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/broken-record-300x300.jpg

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Speaking of trains http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/travel/ferrari-train-italo-ntv/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

torea
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Speaking of trains http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/travel/ferrari-train-italo-ntv/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

This is indeed a very nice development in Italy. Actually the high speed (never honking) trains are now available almost everywhere in Europe.

Only here in the US we have to be nostalgically confronted with loud honking trains (4 times before every railroad crossing, day and night).
Thank you very much bureaucrats sitting in the useless Federal Railroad Administration. (FRA)

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Not sure where you get your info but I believe high speed trains in Europe have train horns.

torea
06-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Not sure where you get your info but I believe high speed trains in Europe have train horns.

Of coursed they have horns and trains need to blow the horn only in emergency situations.

Thanks God, Europe has no FRA imposing every train to honk 4 times for every crossing!

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Do you have a link that shows that?

torea
06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Do you have a link that shows that?

I have my ears: I was born and lived 45 years in Europe. I still go there every year to visit family and travel around.
I never heard trains honking. Only very exceptionally if they see idiots crossing the railroads when red lights are flashing.

And yes also in Europe they have a large number of desperate people choosing the trains to end their life.
But there is no need to keep half the population awake by loud and frequent honking as we see in the US. (Suicidal people don't listen to that honking anyway).

I will try to post links if I find some

Maynard
06-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I have my ears: I was born and lived 45 years in Europe. I still go there every year to visit family and travel around.
I never heard trains honking. Only very exceptionally if they see idiots crossing the railroads when red lights are flashing.

---
---

ks_QQeRgG8U

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 01:22 PM

And yes also in Europe they have a large number of desperate people choosing the trains to end their life.
But there is no need to keep half the population awake by loud and frequent honking as we see in the US. (Suicidal people don't listen to that honking anyway).

So in other words no you don't have anything than your say so....

torea
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
On top of that, the high speed trains in Europe have their own tracks without crossings. your link show a train honking on purpose to show the speed and Doppler effect.

We are talking talking about slow freight train in the US forced by the FRA to honk 4 times for every railroad crossing.

torea
06-22-2012, 01:36 PM
So in other words no you don't have anything than your say so....

Not because I say so. Please have a look at :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_horn

You will read here that we in the US are indeed the horn blowing champions:

France:
Train horns are sounded where a whistle post (marked with the letter "S" for "siffler") is present. If the whistle post is labelled "J" (meaning "jour"), the horn is only to be sounded between 0700 and 2000. Horns must also be sounded when passing an oncoming train, and shortly before reaching the last car of the train.

United Kingdom:
UK diesel and electric locomotives are usually fitted with two-tone horns and, in the past, both tones were routinely used. However, because of noise complaints, new rules were introduced in 2007:[12]
1.The introduction of a night time quiet period, between 2300 and 0700 when trains will no longer routinely sound their horns at whistle boards (they will always sound their horns when people are seen on the track)
2.That where the technology is available, drivers should only use the low tone from the two tone horn at whistle boards.
3.For all new or replacement train horns on trains capable of travelling up to 160 km/h a much lower minimum sound pressure level has been established – and a maximum sound level has been introduced (min 101dB and max 106dB)

United States:
On April 27, 2005, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), which enforces rail safety regulations, published the final rule on the use of locomotive horns at highway-rail grade crossings.[10] Effective June 24, 2005, the rule requires that locomotive horns be sounded at all public grade crossings at least 15 seconds, but not more than 20 seconds before entering a crossing. This rule applies when the train speed is below 45 mph (70 km/h). At 45 mph or above, trains are still required to sound their horn at the designated location (usually denoted with a whistle post).

The pattern for blowing the horn remains two long, one short, and one long. This is to be repeated as necessary until the lead locomotive fully occupies the crossing. Locomotive engineers retain the authority to vary this pattern as necessary for crossings in close proximity, and are allowed to sound the horn in emergency situations no matter where the location.

Maynard
06-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Meanwhile, in Canada...

bTmN0B1Ykpo

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
On top of that, the high speed trains in Europe have their own tracks without crossings. your link show a train honking on purpose to show the speed and Doppler effect.

Well then you're comparing apples and oranges. The trains here wouldn't need horns either if they didn't have any crossings. *duh*

torea
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Well then you're comparing apples and oranges. The trains here wouldn't need horns either if they didn't have any crossings. *duh*

I did not post that YouTube link showing high speed trains.... these trains have nothing to see with our horn blowing issue
On the contrary, I confirmed that We are talking about slow freight trains in the US forced by the FRA to honk 4 times for every railroad crossing, day and night.

Roadhawg
06-22-2012, 04:25 PM
click

boscorama
06-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Quarters galore!

Maynard
06-22-2012, 08:35 PM
click

Quarters galore!

[ref: post #60]

hzHMJksgU7U

Shooby Taylor - The Human Horn

venture
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Narf

RadicalModerate
06-23-2012, 07:19 AM

There came the trains again, loud honking, 4 times for every crossing, echoing from the mountains all over this peaceful city

Is there a technical difference between a "tourist tour" and a regular tour?
Or is it more qualitative?

In either case, what is strange about all this is that there isn't a train within a thousand miles of Santa Barbara so the horns are either in torea's head or he is mistaking the sounds of the sea (like the seals) for iron horses.

kevinpate
06-23-2012, 07:42 AM

As you are no stranger to Europe, have family there, and prefer their less noisy trains, perhaps saving some funds and purchasing a one way ticket for the next trip would be a spot on choice.

Jus' sayin'

torea
06-23-2012, 08:21 AM
As you are no stranger to Europe, have family there, and prefer their less noisy trains, perhaps saving some funds and purchasing a one way ticket for the next trip would be a spot on choice.

Jus' sayin'

I did take a one way ticket but the other way around... I like life here in the US, much more space than in Europe.

The only thing is that you impose your trains to make completely useless honking noise day and night keeping awake millions of citizens of the great US of A.

If you don't believe me take a (two way) ticket and go and have a look in Europe!

Roadhawg
06-23-2012, 08:29 AM
time to :locked:

torea
06-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Is there a technical difference between a "tourist tour" and a regular tour?
Or is it more qualitative?

In either case, what is strange about all this is that there isn't a train within a thousand miles of Santa Barbara so the horns are either in torea's head or he is mistaking the sounds of the sea (like the seals) for iron horses.

Have a look (and listen) atthis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNa0-PwCTGU

rcjunkie
06-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Have a look (and listen) atthis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNa0-PwCTGU

Awesome video and love the sound, wish it was in my back yard.

kevinpate
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Nah, no need for me to travel to Europe. A train with no whistle .. is no train at all.

torea
06-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Awesome video and love the sound, wish it was in my back yard.

Did you recently make a coffee-shop visit in Holland rcjunkie?

Roadhawg
06-23-2012, 09:28 AM

ljbab728
06-23-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm not agreeing with torea in the least but trains do go through Santa Barbara.

torea
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm not agreeing with torea in the least but trains do go through Santa Barbara.

Yes, ljbab728, and Radicalmoderate even states that there are no trains within a thousand miles of Santa Barbara !

If he is right it's time to introduce Iron Horses allover the West-coast (again) - without honking of coursed but just for economic purposes. California will be glad with this economic boost....

RadicalModerate
06-24-2012, 05:03 AM

(shhh . . . i know . . . i was exaggerating the facts--or lack of them--a little bit)

rcjunkie
06-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Did you recently make a coffee-shop visit in Holland rcjunkie?

Not recently, but I did make the trip to Amsterdam in 2010 with my two daughters, had a wonderful time. Didn't care too much for the coffee, but the vast beer variety was awesome.

torea
06-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Not recently, but I did make the trip to Amsterdam in 2010 with my two daughters, had a wonderful time. Didn't care too much for the coffee, but the vast beer variety was awesome.

Nice! But if you have a chance, try to visit Belgium - I was born in this "kingdom" of beers. Lots of these good Belgian beers are now available in most bars all over the US. (From Holland I only see Heineken in the US).

At the same time you could have a look at the extreme dense train transportation systems in both of these countries - silently!

RadicalModerate
06-24-2012, 12:48 PM
I've heard that studies indicate that the consumption of enough of that fine Belgian beer mitigates the unreasonable annoyance connected with the sound of train horns. Heineken doesn't do the same thing, but it is from Holland which probably explains it. Although Heineken apparently mitigates annoyance with the whoosh of windmills, the clatter of wooden shoes, the smell of tulips and the lack of Dutch Train Horns.

torea
06-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I've heard that studies indicate that the consumption of enough of that fine Belgian beer mitigates the unreasonable annoyance connected with the sound of train horns. Heineken doesn't do the same thing, but it is from Holland which probably explains it. Although Heineken apparently mitigates annoyance with the whoosh of windmills, the clatter of wooden shoes, the smell of tulips and the lack of Dutch Train Horns.

I'm not sure if we talk about the same study but I read and experienced that enough of that fine Belgian beer helps to stay asleep a whole night - even in the neighborhood of loud honking trains in the US.

I have to disappoint you about Heineken: it is know everywhere in Europe as watery tasteless beer. Compare it with Stella and you will taste what I mean.

ljbab728
06-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe torea should start a thread about beer instead of trains. He would find the OKC denizens much more in agreement with him.

torea
06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Maybe torea should start a thread about beer instead of trains. He would find the OKC denizens much more in agreement with him.

Not really... I live in the US now and start to understand why so many liquor stores are located nearby railroads here.

Be careful train guys ... this might become a class action of the drunks (alcoholics) against your companies!

And their number is not comparable with the few poor idiots suing you for railroad accidents,,,

Matt
06-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Almost July 2012 and this ****-ass thread is still going?

venture
06-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Almost July 2012 and this ****-ass thread is still going?

Mmhmm. This guy probably doesn't even live in OKC, according to others sites he lives in Mission, KS. He has contributed ZERO to any other thread on this forum. Why Pete has let him ramble on like this is beyond me. Everything I've found those is that this guy has an infatuation with train horns. If only we could link audio files to play automatically on this thread so he would get to listen to a train horn each time he opened it. :)

torea
06-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Mmhmm. This guy probably doesn't even live in OKC, according to others sites he lives in Mission, KS. He has contributed ZERO to any other thread on this forum. Why Pete has let him ramble on like this is beyond me. Everything I've found those is that this guy has an infatuation with train horns. If only we could link audio files to play automatically on this thread so he would get to listen to a train horn each time he opened it. :)

Mr Venture79, I don't think there is a requirement to contribute to more than one tread on this forum - correct me if I'm wrong.

A huge class action to compensate the millions of people bothered by the loud train horn noise pollution might help to modernize the train system in the US.
I bet there are lots of lawyers available to work this on contingency basis.

venture
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
So you just go around message board to message board to drum up support for your planned class action lawsuit you want to do? Essentially using these message boards but contributing near zero to the community itself. If you want to use this site for your apparent agenda, you think you would at least be respectful and compensate Pete for using his site to push your agenda. Even then though, this thread might be better off in the Politics section since the entire basis of this thread is to put together a lawsuit to legislate through the courts.