View Full Version : Audio Static During Display of Weather Graphics

drumsncode
12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
I've noticed this for more than a year. I know it happens on KWTV, and I think it happens on other stations sometimes, too. On certain weather graphics, the audio gets an annoying static in it, and when they switch away from that graphic, the noise stops immediately. I've watched it long enough that I know it's not a coincidence.

Do any technical people out there know what is causing this? Is KWTV aware of it?

Thunder
12-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Its a secret code transmitting to millions of Oklahomans to brainwash them.

RadicalModerate
12-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Or perhaps a subliminal Earthquake Emergency warning?

TVVoiceGuy
12-29-2011, 01:17 PM
It's possibly caused by a higher than normal video level. Probably occurs on graphics with lots of white on them. Video levels over 100% (or 100 ire) sometimes cause buzzing or static in the audio.

drumsncode
12-29-2011, 04:08 PM
It's possibly caused by a higher than normal video level. Probably occurs on graphics with lots of white on them. Video levels over 100% (or 100 ire) sometimes cause buzzing or static in the audio.

You must be on to something. I even noticed it today on two occasions on KWTV, once at 4:06pm and again at 4:15pm, all during weather graphics, and even then it was only on certain types of displays. As soon the graphic switched, the noise went away.

And thanks for a "real" reply. :-)

Thunder
12-29-2011, 04:10 PM
And thanks for a "real" reply. :-)

You're welcome. :tiphat:

RadicalModerate
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM
That's what "They" would have you believe . . . =)

drumsncode
12-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Good one, guys. You made me laugh. I love humor as much as the next guy, as long as someone actually answers my question! :-)

So keep an ear out for that static on KWTV, and you'll hear exactly what I mean... just before the earthquake hits.

Thunder
12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Good one, guys. You made me laugh. I love humor as much as the next guy, as long as someone actually answers my question! :-)

So keep an ear out for that static on KWTV, and you'll hear exactly what I mean... just before the earthquake hits.

How will deaf people be able to know?

Jim Kyle
12-29-2011, 10:36 PM
It's possibly caused by a higher than normal video level. Probably occurs on graphics with lots of white on them. Video levels over 100% (or 100 ire) sometimes cause buzzing or static in the audio.Channel 9's audio leaves a lot to be desired at any time. Has anyone else noticed that they routinely clip off the last half-second of most commercials (and occasionally that of feature content also), sometimes dropping an entire word from the voice-over? I don't see this happening on any other channel so I seriously doubt that it's a problem with DirecTV...

RadicalModerate
12-30-2011, 08:39 AM
"How will deaf people be able to know?"

Be sure that you have "Captions" turned on.
It will read something like sssssssssssssssssssssssss.........

drumsncode
12-30-2011, 08:57 AM
I noticed last night that FOX25 has the same graphics/static problem. It's amazing. It can get so bad on some stations at times that I just channel-flip. Since the stations surely are aware of it, I'm puzzled as to why someone doesn't find a solution.

venture
12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Channel 9's audio leaves a lot to be desired at any time. Has anyone else noticed that they routinely clip off the last half-second of most commercials (and occasionally that of feature content also), sometimes dropping an entire word from the voice-over? I don't see this happening on any other channel so I seriously doubt that it's a problem with DirecTV...

Actually...I was having issue, and still do, with the video quality on KWTV. I have DirecTV and they came out. First I thought it was the DVR...since a lot of their recorded programs had pixel and noise issues. No program from another channel did, but 80% of my programming is CBS primetime stuff. So then we looked at the dish itself and wiring. All new, but the issue remains. Finally went to someone higher up and it finally was revealed. For the last 6 months a year there has been a fault in the delivery system at KWTV to DirecTV. They have been keeping track and reporting case issues to KWTV regarding the issue, but they have yet to acknowledge and fix the issue. I have zero issue with programming on other stations, it is only KWTV. So it is all going to come down to KWTV fixing their equipment. At this point, I would almost rather get all my CBS shows from VOD, but CBS has it all blocked out since they make it available through their website and Hulu.

TaoMaas
12-31-2011, 10:14 AM

It's not just whites. It can be any color. The programs used to create tv graphics are capable of creating video & color levels that exceed broadcast limits. There used to be a button the graphic artists could click that was titled "Safe colors". It was on the program specifically to keep this kind of stuff from happening.

drumsncode
12-31-2011, 06:25 PM
It's not just whites. It can be any color. The programs used to create tv graphics are capable of creating video & color levels that exceed broadcast limits. There used to be a button the graphic artists could click that was titled "Safe colors". It was on the program specifically to keep this kind of stuff from happening.

Very cool! Thanks man! What you're saying is what I've been observing. I had this suspicion it could be fixed in software. Didn't know they were giving us "unsafe" graphics. ;-) ;-) Shame on them. It's like the "Loudness Wars" in today's music. They push things as hard as they can, even to the point of clipping the peaks.

RadicalModerate
12-31-2011, 11:54 PM
Google: The Amp That Goes To 11/Spinal Tap [video] and bask in the techno-correctness/deficit flow . . . =)

drumsncode
01-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Google: The Amp That Goes To 11/Spinal Tap [video] and bask in the techno-correctness/deficit flow . . . =)

Yeah, I own that movie! "These knobs go to 11..." is one of my favorite phrases. :-)

RadicalModerate
01-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Since you seem to really know what you are talking about, maybe you (or someone else) might be able to answer this question:

We have a regular ol' Toshiba TV. I know that there is a capacitor or capacitor connection that is bad because we have these irritating horizontal lines at the top of the screen (that used to go away after a few minutes but are now there all the time). Lately, I've noticed that when there is a lot of white on the screen a wide black stripe momentarily appears about two-thirds of the way down on the screen then goes away when the picture shifts to something with less white in it. Do you think that there is any relationship to the audio difficulties some folks experience? Or is there something else going wrong with the set? (No apparent "black stripe" problems when watching DVDs or streaming Netflix). We have Cox cable as the provider.

SoonerDave
01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Since you seem to really know what you are talking about, maybe you (or someone else) might be able to answer this question:

We have a regular ol' Toshiba TV. I know that there is a capacitor or capacitor connection that is bad because we have these irritating horizontal lines at the top of the screen (that used to go away after a few minutes but are now there all the time). Lately, I've noticed that when there is a lot of white on the screen a wide black stripe momentarily appears about two-thirds of the way down on the screen then goes away when the picture shifts to something with less white in it. Do you think that there is any relationship to the audio difficulties some folks experience? Or is there something else going wrong with the set? (No apparent "black stripe" problems when watching DVDs or streaming Netflix). We have Cox cable as the provider.

I take it this is a tube-style TV? If so, the lines sound like part of the horizontal retrace being exposed at the top of the screen where it would normally be hidden by the overscan. If they just started to appear, and now are becoming more and more over time, sounds like your screen is s-l-o-w-l-y dying. That's what happened to the last, wonderful tube set (that lasted me 20 years) faded into yesteryear (and the LCD that replaced it isn't going to last five). Chances are that, one day, you'll end up with a very bright white line in the middle of the screen in the coming weeks.