View Full Version : OKC Retail Update

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

metro
12-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Looks promising for the Container Store coming to OKC:
http://newsok.com/a-look-back-at-retail-in-the-oklahoma-city-area-in-2011/article/3635663

Soonerman
12-29-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm hoping for a Dick's Sporting Goods in 2012.

Questor
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Well that's some good news.

betts
12-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I'd heard LuLu Lemon is coming for sure, but not sure about the reliability of my source. Where is Restoration Hardware????

JayhawkTransplant
12-29-2011, 08:42 PM
H&M and Restoration Hardware would keep a good chunk of my retail expenditures here, instead of in KC or Tulsa.

Lululemon? Yes, please.

JayhawkTransplant
12-29-2011, 08:43 PM
And, while you're at it, give me an Urban Outfitters, and I will be one happy girl.

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm hoping for a Dick's Sporting Goods in 2012.

I keep hearing this from people and I can't figure it out. They are crazy expensive, have a very limited selection, and don't offer brands that you can't find at any other sporting goods store. What is the attraction to them? I don't mind paying more if the item is higher quality or is a brand unavailable elseware - but they have the exact same stuff I can find at Academy Sports or Sports Authority for about 15% to 20% less.

MDot
12-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I keep hearing this from people and I can't figure it out. They are crazy expensive, have a very limited selection, and don't offer brands that you can't find at any other sporting goods store. What is the attraction to them? I don't mind paying more if the item is higher quality or is a brand unavailable elseware - but they have the exact same stuff I can find at Academy Sports or Sports Authority for about 15% to 20% less.

It's because they have the name dick in them.

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 10:54 AM
It's because they have the name dick in them.

That sounds about right. I'll admit that the comments I hear are not unique to OKCTalk. Dick's has a following, I just don't know why. I do know the physical stores themselves are a little unique. The store here in Jax is decorated in NE Florida related items.

Spartan
12-30-2011, 12:12 PM
It's because Dick's Sporting Goods at least has nicer stores than Academy, even if they sell the same stuff. I am personally still hoping for something more palpable like REI, but Dick's is a major move in the right direction. There's a store in the Midwest called Scheel's that would be my personal #1 preference.

I don't think it was in the article, but there will be a new American Eagle outlet at the outlet shoppes. It's taking over the temporary bookstore space (which is having an incredible 75% off sale right now) next door to the Polo outlet. I personally consider that store replacing a bookstore a huge loss, but I know many of you will consider it a gain, so take it for what it's worth.

betts
12-30-2011, 12:21 PM
And, while you're at it, give me an Urban Outfitters, and I will be one happy girl.

That's coming. They're looking for a site.

Spartan
12-30-2011, 12:26 PM
So what are the odds that Whole Foods' pending second location (which apparently is a very real prospect) goes downtown?

I almost wish they would hold off a year or two so that it could be used as more leverage to get those liquor laws changed.

kevinpate
12-30-2011, 01:09 PM
I almost wish they would hold off a year or two so that it could be used as more leverage to get those liquor laws changed.

It seems clear after the recent fiasco of a legislative study group that it will take far more than a WF to make even another dent in the current alcohol power structure, let alone any meaningful change. That's a very uphill, and very expensive, battle to wage. I seriously doubt the pro change side has enough coin to fund the changes they desire.

Soonerman
12-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Well for one Academy could use the competition.

BDP
12-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I keep hearing this from people and I can't figure it out. They are crazy expensive, have a very limited selection, and don't offer brands that you can't find at any other sporting goods store. What is the attraction to them?

People here often don't care for local businesses, to the point where we use public assistance to bring in outside competition. Many have stated in this forum that having stores and restaurants in OKC that are exactly like stores they have seen in other markets gives them a sense of validation. We are a retail market that seems to value that unusual sense of validation more than keeping profits here or fostering more unique local shops by supporting them over outside corporate chains. I think it's just part of the culture here.

metro
12-31-2011, 08:00 AM

Kerry, when is the last time you've been to OKC or Academy? Academy is like Walmart and Dicks is like Target. Academy here is mostly hunting/fishing based and has off brands with exception of Nike and UnderArmor. Dicks carries NorthFace, Marmot, Columbia (a full line not just fishing shirts), etc. Dicks caters more towards the city crowd, urban sports, and hiking/trekking/skiing. That's nice for many of us who don't care to fish or hunt.

metro
12-31-2011, 08:03 AM
People here often don't care for local businesses, to the point where we use public assistance to bring in outside competition. Many have stated in this forum that having stores and restaurants in OKC that are exactly like stores they have seen in other markets gives them a sense of validation. We are a retail market that seems to value that unusual sense of validation more than keeping profits here or fostering more unique local shops by supporting them over outside corporate chains. I think it's just part of the culture here.

Academy isn't local, it's a chain......

Questor
12-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Kerry, when is the last time you've been to OKC or Academy? Academy is like Walmart and Dicks is like Target. Academy here is mostly hunting/fishing based and has off brands with exception of Nike and UnderArmor. Dicks carries NorthFace, Marmot, Columbia (a full line not just fishing shirts), etc. Dicks caters more towards the city crowd, urban sports, and hiking/trekking/skiing. That's nice for many of us who don't care to fish or hunt.

A friend of mine who is very active recently explained the different stores to me almost the same as you have here.

Questor
12-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Well I can't speak for the whole city but in my case I tend to think that many of our local businesses often have horrible quality control issues and very limited supplies/choices. The average local business owner mindset is quite frustrating. I love Whole Foods and all the new stores because they offer products and allergen-free options that I literally cannot buy anywhere else. Why did it take them moving to town to push Homeland out of its circa 1992 shell? How come even though their stores are looking better now I still have to sort through eggs and milk for 10 minutes to find items that aren't a week out of date? Why is talking to a Homeland cashier so much more painful than at WF... Why is it every time I go to some popular locally owned restaraunt I always leave pissed off at the wait staff, underwhelmed at the food, and wondering about the kitchen cleanliness after seeing what the bathrooms look like? It's not that chains offer some sort of affirmation... For me it's that many of them comply with national standards (or franchise standards) for health and quality that far, far exceed the ancient standards we seem to just accept here. I'm not really into sporting goods places but I'd imagine it is for similar reasons of quality products, selection, etc.

Many of the places that are national chains that have been locating here have been franchises, and so really their ownership still is local. So we benefit from the quality of a national retailer but also keep the profits and jobs locally.

That's not to say that we don't have some great locally owned establishments here... We do... But good grief are they ever few and far between.

king183
12-31-2011, 02:31 PM
It seems clear after the recent fiasco of a legislative study group that it will take far more than a WF to make even another dent in the current alcohol power structure, let alone any meaningful change. That's a very uphill, and very expensive, battle to wage. I seriously doubt the pro change side has enough coin to fund the changes they desire.

Don't be so sure. I have "inside" information on this. It's almost assuredly going to the vote of the people as a constitutional amendment. The Chamber of Commerce is going to put a lot of money into supporting the repeal. They'll have an excellent polling and consulting firm that is known for winning issues like this. Why will they put so much effort into repeal? Let's just say they have a lot riding on it. They are on the verge of scoring some huge success for Oklahoma and OKC, some of which we will hear about in the next year.

Spartan
12-31-2011, 03:18 PM

You're right, but the legislative study group wasn't even intended as a serious move. We're still going through the phase of symbolic gestures of change, and it will take more to get us into the phase of real change on that front. The legislative study group was deliberately set up for failure.

The idea that we're going to put the people who currently benefit from our screwed up liquor laws on a study group that will somehow create and implement real change was laughable.

kevinpate
12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
The idea that we're going to put the people who currently benefit from our screwed up liquor laws on a study group that will somehow create and implement real change was laughable.

True that. Yet such a laughable move was in fact the strongest move in a while. That's why a WF,or even a handful of WF type businesses which may desire change won't get it. Wanting change isn't the key,no matter how sincere. Until a group can surpass, and demonstrate both an ability and a willingness to to continually surpass, the wholesale lobby effort, then at most any change will be in the nature of window dressing. I may be wrong, but I just don't think the folks who desire change desire it enough to cover the costs associated with the change they desire.

Soonerman
12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
True that. Yet such a laughable move was in fact the strongest move in a while. That's why a WF,or even a handful of WF type businesses which may desire change won't get it. Wanting change isn't the key,no matter how sincere. Until a group can surpass, and demonstrate both an ability and a willingness to to continually surpass, the wholesale lobby effort, then at most any change will be in the nature of window dressing. I may be wrong, but I just don't think the folks who desire change desire it enough to cover the costs associated with the change the desire.

What I want to know is who were the dopes that put the study group together?

kevinpate
12-31-2011, 06:45 PM
What I want to know is who were the dopes that put the study group together?

I don't recall specifically who in legislative leadership set it up, but most likely would be the combo of Speaker of House and Senate's Pres. Pro Tem, or perhaps their designated hitters. In short, a couple of folks with R after their names. Truthfully though, had the D's been in charge, I would have expected a similar non-result oriented dog and pony show. The modernize the booze group is a bit like the save Stage Center group. Both are dedicated. Both are sincere. Neither has the muscle or the bank account to make it happen.

ljbab728
12-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Why is talking to a Homeland cashier so much more painful than at WF

I don't know what Homeland you go to but at the one I frequent the cashiers are always exceptionally friendly and helpful.

MikeOKC
12-31-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't know what Homeland you go to but at the one I frequent the cashiers are always exceptionally friendly and helpful.

I always go to either the Buy For Less by me on NWX or make the drive to Homeland at May & Britton. The people at Homeland (at least at that location) are exceptionally friendly. I use their pharmacy as well because they price match anything, anywhere. But they are also the kindest pharmacy staff I've ever used.

ljbab728
01-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I always go to either the Buy For Less by me on NWX or make the drive to Homeland at May & Britton. The people at Homeland (at least at that location) are exceptionally friendly. I use their pharmacy as well because they price match anything, anywhere. But they are also the kindest pharmacy staff I've ever used.

I also appreciate that at the Homeland I frequent (NW Expwy and MacArthur) they seem to employ a number of handicapped.

Spartan
01-01-2012, 12:26 AM
People at WF are usually pretty cool, until they go off the deep end at least.

ljbab728
01-01-2012, 12:34 AM
People at WF are usually pretty cool, until they go off the deep end at least.

So do they OD on organics or what, Spartan?

Spartan
01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
On organic something or other..

metro
01-01-2012, 04:32 PM
The bulk mushrooms.........

Patrick
01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
So what are the odds that Whole Foods' pending second location (which apparently is a very real prospect) goes downtown?

My guess is their 2nd location will probably be in Edmond.

Patrick
01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
That's coming. They're looking for a site.

Possibly in the Triangle or Nichols Hills Plaza from what I've been told.

G.Walker
01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
My guess is their 2nd location will probably be in Edmond.

don't be surprised if the next Whole Foods ends up in Norman, particularly the affluent west side...

ljbab728
01-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Possibly in the Triangle or Nichols Hills Plaza from what I've been told.

Nichols Hills Plaza won't happen. It's much too close to the new store.

MDot
01-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Nichols Hills Plaza won't happen. It's much too close to the new store.

I'm not trying to sound like a snob but they were talking about an Urban Outfitters location.

ljbab728
01-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a snob but they were talking about an Urban Outfitters location.

MDot, I know you're not a snob but the recent posts have been about a second location for Whole Foods hence the confusion.

MDot
01-03-2012, 11:47 PM
MDot, I know you're not a snob but the recent posts have been about a second location for Whole Foods hence the confusion.

I was pretty sure that's what it was since betts post about an Urban Outfitters was one of the first posts in this thread and we're about midway through page 2.

Debzkidz
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM

Well, since we don't have a Sports Authority here, at least Dicks would give us some other option than Academy.

Patrick
01-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Yes, I was referring to Urban Outfitters.

Just the facts
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, since we don't have a Sports Authority here, at least Dicks would give us some other option than Academy.

Point taken. What is wrong with metro OKC? 1.3 million people and the retail selection of Bakersfield (I was going to say Fresno - but Fresno has more retail options than OKC).

MDot
01-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Point taken. What is wrong with metro OKC? 1.3 million people and the retail selection of Bakersfield (I was going to say Fresno - but Fresno has more retail options than OKC).

LOL this. Spot on, Kerry.

Just the facts
01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
LOL this. Spot on, Kerry.

Except it isn't funny - it is down right sad. Is it that people are addicted to WalMart or is WalMart the prefered retailer because there is no other choice?

MDot
01-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Except it isn't funny - it is down right sad. Is it that people are addicted to WalMart or is WalMart the prefered retailer because there is no other choice?

I never said it was funny, I said LOL because I was thinking the exact same thing except I didn't have any particular cities in mind the way you did. And I would say it's because there isn't any other choices besides Wal-Mart, I can state for a fact that that's the case for me and mi familia but that's 10 people out of 1.3 million.

Just the facts
01-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I never said it was funny, I said LOL because I was thinking the exact same thing except I didn't have any particular cities in mind the way you did. And I would say it's because there isn't any other choices besides Wal-Mart, I can state for a fact that that's the case for me and mi familia but that's 10 people out of 1.3 million.

I got you now. Sadly, it took me a while to even come up with Bakersfield and Fresno. Every time I thought up an obscure place name that sounded funny they had better retail (dang go-getters in Peoria). The proliferation of WalMart is problematic because many retailers are afraid to compete with them. It takes a local/regional developer with some financial resources to take the chance. Jax is very similar to OKC demographic wise and we have more than our share of WalMarts but St Johns Town Center is now the number 3 most profitable retail center in the US. Thank goodness an Atlanta developer took a chance on us becasue no one in Jax was going to do it.

MDot
01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Maybe a Dallas, Denver, or Houston developer can be to OKC what the Atlanta developer was to Jacksonville. I can't name anyone off the top of my head who is an Oklahoma City developer who is willing to take a chance on us so obviously our saviour is going to have to come from outside of Oklahoma City unless I'm forgetting someone/something significant.

Just the facts
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Maybe a Dallas, Denver, or Houston developer can be to OKC what the Atlanta developer was to Jacksonville. I can't name anyone off the top of my head who is an Oklahoma City developer who is willing to take a chance on us so obviously our saviour is going to have to come from outside of Oklahoma City unless I'm forgetting someone/something significant.

OKC already tried the 'local' route and we got Lower Bricktown (aka - the mistake by the interstate). Bob Funk tried to be the new local guy with vision but had trouble convincing the City he could pull it off.

From 2007:
http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=10160&page=1

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/26/Img/Pc0260700.jpg

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/21/Img/Pc0211000.jpg

MDot
01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah I can't really disagree with that assessment about Lower Bricktown. I remember seeing the 'renderings' of the Bob Funk project but I never read into it so I didn't know the specifics but it seemed like a nice project to someone who just seen a drawing but I know some of the 'prettiest' projects can be some of the overall worst.

Fantastic
01-07-2012, 07:22 PM
OKC already tried the 'local' route and we got Lower Bricktown (aka - the mistake by the interstate). Bob Funk tried to be the new local guy with vision but had trouble convincing the City he could pull it off.

From 2007:
http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=10160&page=1

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/26/Img/Pc0260700.jpg

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/05/25/21/Img/Pc0211000.jpg

To be fair, this development was not in Lower Bricktown, this was to be north of Reno and south of California, and right next to the Ballpark. Lower Bricktown is bounded by Reno to the north.

Just the facts
01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
To be fair, this development was not in Lower Bricktown, this was to be north of Reno and south of California, and right next to the Ballpark. Lower Bricktown is bounded by Reno to the north.

I didn't think I implied this was meant for Lower Bricktown. However, at some point they are going to have to level LB and try again.

MDot
01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
...at some point they are going to have to level LB and try again...

I wish you'd mail me some of those fantasy pills you're taking there amigo.

kevinpate
01-07-2012, 10:43 PM
I didn't think I implied this was meant for Lower Bricktown. However, at some point they are going to have to level LB and try again.

Nah. With the exception of Falcone's, most everything else is making a air piece of change. And Fuzzy's might kill in that corner spot with the movie foot traffic alone.

Just the facts
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM
LB is doing great because they don't have any competition yet. That will change as more people move to Deep Deuce and Midtown. At that point retail/entertainment will follow rooftops. LB was a cart before the horse situation which is why it had to be built by the city for the most part.

catch22
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Lower Bricktown is a disaster from a planning standpoint. It would be halfway acceptable if the Blvd. didn't run right next to it, because the storefronts would at least face the canal. Now surface parking and the backs of buildings face the Boulevard. Hopefully something major happens to improve this.

BG918
01-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Lower Bricktown is a disaster from a planning standpoint. It would be halfway acceptable if the Blvd. didn't run right next to it, because the storefronts would at least face the canal. Now surface parking and the backs of buildings face the Boulevard. Hopefully something major happens to improve this.

Demolition? Tornado?

Just the facts
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM

You don't think the back of a movie theater or the side of Bass Pro facing the iconic OKC Boulevard is a great idea? Don't worry, the huge parking lots will draw your attention away from it.

MDot
01-09-2012, 04:57 PM
You don't think the back of a movie theater or the side of Bass Pro facing the iconic OKC Boulevard is a great idea? Don't worry, the huge parking lots will draw your attention away from it.

Sarcasm is my favorite language.

ljbab728
01-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Sarcasm is my favorite language.

And that is Kerry's native tongue. LOL

MDot
01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
And that is Kerry's native tongue. LOL

Haha, I'm starting to understand him more and more. =)

ljbab728
01-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Haha, I'm starting to understand him more and more. =)

Don't say that, MDot. I'll really start to worry about you then.