View Full Version : OKC Retail Update

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

zookeeper
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
This was the best retail update for Oklahoma City in a long time. Where's the discussion?

Pete
09-05-2012, 11:07 AM
As much as everyone wants Costco, sounds like that's not happening any time soon.

Von Maur would be a nice addition but I believe they are much more like Dillards and Macys than Nordstrom.

stlokc
09-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Agree Pete. We have both stores in St. Louis. Von Maur is not Nordstrom. That's not to say they wouldn't be a good fit for Quail Springs. But if space ever came available at Penn Square, I would be disappointed in a Von Maur at that location.

betts
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't know. I've seen a Von Maur that was slightly nicer than our current Dillards. But, it's all about market. In Scottsdale, the Dillards isn't that far off Neiman Marcus. They've got grades of stores. A Von Maur that is a higher grade than the Dillards at Penn Square might have nicer merchandise.

The only national retailer I now care about is Restoration Hardware. I'd love to have one of those. IKEA might be nice, but I've only got one piece in my house from IKEA and don't feel a real urge for more. Otherwise, I'm pretty indifferent as far as national chains go. I can get most of what I want in local stores.

Mr. Cotter
09-05-2012, 12:40 PM
The only Von Maur I have shopped at is between a Dillard's and a Nordstrom, but closer to a Nordstrom. They were an anchor tennant at one of those "live, shop, work" developments. That is why I would love to see them come in and beef up AA or Bricktown.

onthestrip
09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
An IKEA would be awesome

Ikea wasn't even brought up at this ICSC event, that's how far out it is. I'm guessing we are at least a decade from seeing one.

stlokc
09-05-2012, 06:45 PM
My understanding is that IKEA requires a market area population of 2 million as a baseline.

metro
09-06-2012, 09:47 AM
This was the best retail update for Oklahoma City in a long time. Where's the discussion?

While an improvement, some of it we already knew. Definitely a step in the right direction, but people want news and they want it now. Frequency and frequent updates to stories like this will be essential to long term success. Me personally I am tired of only getting 1-2 articles weekly about developments we care about. I can come on here and read updates to dozens of projects daily. While this is the nature of new media, traditional media will have to embrace this approach to stay relevant.

bchris02
09-06-2012, 06:52 PM
My understanding is that IKEA requires a market area population of 2 million as a baseline.

Charlotte got IKEA with only 1.7 million MSA. It could happen within the next decade in OKC. I stand by that the city should de-annex its remote rural areas and that would go a long ways at helping OKC land coveted retailers. As it stands, retailers look at the horrid population density numbers for OKC and instead opt for Tulsa when OKC would really be the better choice if the numbers painted a true picture.

okcpulse
09-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Charlotte got IKEA with only 1.7 million MSA. It could happen within the next decade in OKC. I stand by that the city should de-annex its remote rural areas and that would go a long ways at helping OKC land coveted retailers. As it stands, retailers look at the horrid population density numbers for OKC and instead opt for Tulsa when OKC would really be the better choice if the numbers painted a true picture.

I would agree with the exception that there are advanced tools now that give a more accurate picture of Oklahoma City's true population density. Our land area is more of a detriment to city services than luring retailers. I am under the impression that retailers take the lazy approach to market research, but to their defense, the data available is often out of date.

bchris02
09-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I would agree with the exception that there are advanced tools now that give a more accurate picture of Oklahoma City's true population density. Our land area is more of a detriment to city services than luring retailers. I am under the impression that retailers take the lazy approach to market research, but to their defense, the data available is often out of date.

This is true which is why the population density statistic is so important. Many "market researchers" simply use Wikipedia to get their information.

onthestrip
09-06-2012, 09:22 PM
It has less to do with the size of the OKC city limits and more to do with income levels. Our income levels simply dont measure up that well to most markets. We have to and have been showing these retailers that we have basically the lowest cost of living in the country which means we have a high level of discretionary income.

Even if we reduced our city limits I dont see changing much, OKC's pockets of wealth would still be scattered out

GaryOKC6
09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I talked with the people at Dick's sporting goods yesterday. They told me that this (Oklahoma City) is the first time in their history that they have opend four stores at on time in the same market. That is a bold move considering that many other national retailers look at our density on paper and are skeptical of this market.

HOT ROD
09-14-2012, 01:40 PM
i think discretionary income is what OKC should push regarding ANY opening or relocation. we all know that OKC has a rather high amount and is growing.

on the flip side, I think we should really start looking at trimming the fat from OKC city limits and defining urban boundaries; for city services AND for growth/retail expansion. Basically, keep the existing urbanized area but spit off the watershed and rural. By doing this, OKC has room to expand in the 'now' right directions but focuses on the existing urban area as far a services with the additional benefit of a quick 'boost' in the reported official density. I think doing this would make OKC overnight turn into a 1,200-1,500 resident per sq mile density for city (from ~900 currently).

I mean really, do we need all of that land in E OK county/Patowatomie, NE OK County, McClain, and NE Canadian? ?? Cut off 200 from those areas from the 608 sq and you get what I mean. ..

Snowman
09-15-2012, 09:30 AM

A lot of retailers look at the density within mile radius of the possible locations not average city density.

adaniel
09-15-2012, 11:12 AM
A lot of retailers look at the density within mile radius of the possible locations not average city density.

This. Sometimes marketers will stretch it out to three mile radius but rarely more than that. They also look at the demographics and income of that area, not the entire city. It is here I think OKC looks bad. There is a lot of wealth here, more than people realize, but very little concentrated wealth.

The general strength of this area's economy is starting to make up for this, but it may be difficult to lure high-end retailers.

Pete
09-15-2012, 12:12 PM
The standard evaluation tool for retailers is demographics (population, income, etc.) in a 1-, 3-, and 5-mile radius.

Some of the regional retailers like Ikea will look at an entire community or section of town but even so, they still like to be where the people and money are.

bluedogok
09-15-2012, 07:46 PM
The standard evaluation tool for retailers is demographics (population, income, etc.) in a 1-, 3-, and 5-mile radius.

Some of the regional retailers like Ikea will look at an entire community or section of town but even so, they still like to be where the people and money are.
While overall metro/area demographics has bearing on whether Ikea will locate in a market or not, the "location" of an Ikea store has more to do with incentives than anything else. That is the reason the Austin store is in Round Rock, The Denver store is in Centennial and the Dallas store is in Frisco. All burbs far removed from the center of the city. The Houston location has been there a long time and I think it is some kind of franchise or licensing situation because in many ads in Texas there is always something to the effect that items and prices may be different in the Houston store. These "destination retailers" like Ikea, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc. locate where they do because of incentives from governments and developers.

HOT ROD
09-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Add to that, the 'Seattle' store is in Kent, WA (of all places....),

although some might argue that Kent is between Seattle and Tacoma - it is not very well connected to the two major cities (it is off a bit). Tukwila or SeaTac (off I-5) would have been a better location and argument for being between the two and connected.

Spartan
09-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Ikea isn't coming guys.

Oil Capital
09-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Add to that, the 'Seattle' store is in Kent, WA (of all places....),

although some might argue that Kent is between Seattle and Tacoma - it is not very well connected to the two major cities (it is off a bit). Tukwila or SeaTac (off I-5) would have been a better location and argument for being between the two and connected.

According to Ikea, their Seattle store is in Renton, not Kent.

Further on the subject of Ikea, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal earlier this week where Ikea said they plan to ramp up its presence in the US (http://http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444450004578003971406212516.html#a rticleTabs%3Darticle). The article says they are going to start opening at least twice as many stores per year (worldwide).

Their website says " We will initially focus on serving our existing markets, and then move into new markets that we believe are compatible with the unique IKEA concept. We have currently opened 14 new stores since November of 2004." I doubt OKC is at the top of their expansion list, but with that kind of growth planned, they could be in OKC by 2020.

Mike_M
11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
My wife is from New York and she was totally obsessed with going to Dallas and buying out IKEA for our house. I had never been to one and was really intrigued when I looked at their website. When we finally went to IKEA, I just turned to her and said "sorry babe, OKC will never get an IKEA." Yes I know that their furniture looks really cool and futuristic, and they utilize space really well, but IKEA furniture just doesn't belong in a house. It honestly looks like Target-quality material. Yes the design is really cool, but it's built for an apartment.

Not to say that everyone is in the same financial position, but generally, people get an apartment as a temporary fix and eventually get a house within a year or two. With a moderate amount down, you basically end up with the same monthly payments as an apartment. Because of that, I just don't feel like IKEA would ever consider OKC. My friend moved to Denton, which is basically to TX what Norman is to OKC. He said that houses and apartments are way more expensive than anything in OKC, thus the need for IKEA. I do hope the container store comes here though. The Sears space looks big enough for it.

catch22
12-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Haven't had one of these in a while....

...2013 looks to be a good year.

National retail chains look to land in Oklahoma City in 2013 | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/national-retail-chains-look-to-land-in-oklahoma-city-in-2013/article/3741583)

betts
12-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Sounds like I'll still be waiting for Restoration Hardware. It's the only chain that interests me that I think we have a chance of snagging at this point in time. There's no store in the area that has furniture/accessories quite like them although I would be thrilled to shop local if we someone did open a store with comparable merchandise.

Pete
12-30-2012, 08:45 AM
I have certainly spent a lot of money in Restoration Hardware -- more than I would like to count.

Trader Joe's is the only one mentioned that really excites me. It's a hard store to understand but once you get into it, it's fantastic. Different concept than Whole Foods but I shop in TJ's almost every week and hardly set foot in WF.

That article doesn't mention the Microsoft Store in Penn Square and I'm still quite certain there will be a large, permanent outlet for them.

progressiveboy
12-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Looks promising for the Container Store coming to OKC:
A look back at retail in the Oklahoma City area in 2011 | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/a-look-back-at-retail-in-the-oklahoma-city-area-in-2011/article/3635663) Any updates on CS for OKC? Saw the article in today's DO about updates on new retailers in OKC. Trader Joe's is a fun place to shop. I believe it would do well for OKC. Crate and Barrel and Restoration Hardware are two of my favorites too! Homegoods is good I hear they are opening a store in Norman. Z Gallerie is another that "possibly" do well for OKC.

bchris02
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I am excited about Von Maur, Trader Joe's, and possibly Reasor's if they open up a few locations in NW OKC. OKC really needs a quality regular grocery store chain and Reasor's could fill that niche very well. I shop mostly at Whole Foods being they are the only grocery store in town that carries what I like, but the stuff I buy there is the same stuff you could buy at any corner Harris Teeter for much cheaper when I lived in Charlotte.

Any updates on CS for OKC? Saw the article in today's DO about updates on new retailers in OKC. Trader Joe's is a fun place to shop. I believe it would do well for OKC. Crate and Barrel and Restoration Hardware are two of my favorites too! Homegoods is good I hear they are opening a store in Norman. Z Gallerie is another that "possibly" do well for OKC.

Z Gallerie I think would be perfect for Quail Springs Mall. Restoration Hardware would probably need to go near Penn Square but not in the mall itself.

CuatrodeMayo
12-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Haven't had one of these in a while....

...2013 looks to be a good year.

National retail chains look to land in Oklahoma City in 2013 | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/national-retail-chains-look-to-land-in-oklahoma-city-in-2013/article/3741583)

After reading this article, I'd be willing to wager that Jennifer Palmer is a regular OKC Talk lurker...

Spartan
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm not really seeing anything that suggests an actual upgrade in the retail scene. But good for Quail Springs..

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
L.A. fitness seems like a good thing. OKC needs more than Golds Gym for fitness centers.

Spartan
12-30-2012, 08:40 PM
L.A. fitness seems like a good thing. OKC needs more than Golds Gym for fitness centers.

Definitely a good thing for another strip mall, like any of this stuff.

bchris02
12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm not really seeing anything that suggests an actual upgrade in the retail scene. But good for Quail Springs..

Von Maur is a step above the current department stores in OKC. It's not Nordstrom or Saks but it will be a welcome addition. My hopes is it is just the start of more upscale offerings coming to Quail Springs Mall. I would eventually like to see H&M at Quail Springs as well as some of the other stores mentioned in this thread.

Spartan
12-30-2012, 09:06 PM
And why exactly do you want upscale offerings at Quail Springs?

Why don't we just bring back Crossroads and not have any new development ever again

bchris02
12-30-2012, 09:15 PM
And why exactly do you want upscale offerings at Quail Springs?

Why don't we just bring back Crossroads and not have any new development ever again

Quail Springs has to go more upscale or it will become Crossroads.

As much as I would like to see Crossroads revived, its not going to happen given the demographics of the surrounding area. If anything, the Southside could use a new mall or lifestyle center between Moore and Norman.

ljbab728
12-30-2012, 09:20 PM

As much as I would like to see Crossroads revived, its not going to happen given the demographics of the surrounding area. If anything, the Southside could use a new mall or lifestyle center between Moore and Norman.

I don't want to turn this into another Crossroads Mall thread but the demographics of the surrounding area was only incidental in it's demise. It was mismanaged and allowed to die by it's owners.

bchris02
12-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't want to turn this into another Crossroads Mall thread but the demographics of the surrounding area was only incidental in it's demise. It was mismanaged and allowed to die by it's owners.

Agreed. It was allowed to die, but the problem now is I don't see anybody worthwhile making the kind of investment in the mall it would take to revive it given the surrounding demographics.

What anchors would move in? I highly doubt Dillard's or Macy's would re-open, and JC Penney has two nearby stores to replace the one that was at Crossroads.

ljbab728
12-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Agreed. It was allowed to die, but the problem now is I don't see anybody worthwhile making the kind of investment in the mall it would take to revive it given the surrounding demographics.

What anchors would move in? I highly doubt Dillard's or Macy's would re-open, and JC Penney has two nearby stores to replace the one that was at Crossroads.

It may mean nothing because things have been proposed before but please note this quote from the article.

Owners of Crossroads Mall, a sore spot in the Oklahoma City retail market, are expected to make a big announcement in 2013 about the direction of the property at Interstates 35 and 240, both Parrack and Williams said.

In September 2011, Raptor Properties LLC, which consists of two local investors, purchased Crossroads Mall, which still contains about two dozen retailers, including Victoria’s Secret, Bath & Body Works and Journeys.

They intend to keep it open as a mall, despite the departure of surrounding retailers like Best Buy, which relocated to the I-240 Penn Park shopping center at I-240 and Pennsylvania Avenue. Williams said Crossroads Mall’s owners want to redevelop the property with an emphasis on family entertainment.

The demographics in the areas surrounding the Outlet Shops is hardly better and it was been wildly successful.

bchris02
12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
It may mean nothing because things have been proposed before but please note this quote from the article.

The demographics in the areas surrounding the Outlet Shops is hardly better and it was been wildly successful.

As far as a Crossroads revival, I am not going to believe it until I see it, but there are options.

Anybody think a mall catering to Hispanic businesses would work in OKC? They have one in Fort Worth. That would be a perfect use for Crossroads in my opinion.

CENTER STAGE: LA GRAN PLAZA (http://www.thelegaspi.com/center-stage-la-gran-plaza/)

ljbab728
12-30-2012, 10:44 PM
As far as a Crossroads revival, I am not going to believe it until I see it, but there are options.

Anybody think a mall catering to Hispanic businesses would work in OKC? They have one in Fort Worth. That would be a perfect use for Crossroads in my opinion.

CENTER STAGE: LA GRAN PLAZA (http://www.thelegaspi.com/center-stage-la-gran-plaza/)

I would prefer that hispanic businesses be concentrated in an area like Capitol Hill instead, which would make it a special area for OKC. I'm not saying it couldn't work at Crossroads but I think OKC has better options for something like that.

GaryOKC6
12-31-2012, 08:46 AM
I would prefer that hispanic businesses be concentrated in an area like Capitol Hill instead, which would make it a special area for OKC. I'm not saying it couldn't work at Crossroads but I think OKC has better options for something like that.

There are still rumblings of turning Crossroads into an entertainment venue like Great Wolf in Dallas. I think that would work well as an attraction.

vaflyer
12-31-2012, 09:22 AM
If anything, the Southside could use a new mall or lifestyle center between Moore and Norman.

Isn't this what Sooner Investment is trying to do in University North Park?

I read recently that someone in Norman (maybe at the NEDC, I don't recall for sure) said if the economy does not go into a downtown then maybe they will be able to announce the first (major?) lifestyle tenant this year.

Plutonic Panda
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Definitely a good thing for another strip mall, like any of this stuff.They have stand alone LA fitness centers. They also have urban ones too. I don't think these are bad. I for one am glad to see OKC getting these new stores even if it isn't what I wanted it to be, it is something.

Spartan
12-31-2012, 06:52 PM

You WANT to see Crossroads revived???

I know you're from somewhere else, but what is your affinity with indoor shopping malls when we don't have a single meaningful lifestyle center anywhere in the metro?

We need the malls to die off already like elsewhere.

Spartan
12-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Isn't this what Sooner Investment is trying to do in University North Park?

No, what Sooner Investments is trying to do is build the cheapest possible strip mall surrounded by public investments that they can quickly cash out of at a huge profit. Leave it to rot under new ownership after they goaded the public into believing there were high standards.

It's just 19th Street but in a city that's stupid enough to pass a TIF for a strip mall.

vaflyer
12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
No, what Sooner Investments is trying to do is build the cheapest possible strip mall surrounded by public investments that they can quickly cash out of at a huge profit. Leave it to rot under new ownership after they goaded the public into believing there were high standards.

It's just 19th Street but in a city that's stupid enough to pass a TIF for a strip mall.

I do not believe the UNP is a cheap strip mall. Yes, the Academy Sports building is an eyesore but everyone involved with the project admits that. The most recent developments, Mathis Brothers and the strip center with Starbucks, are very nice buildings. I do agree that the city needs to watch this development closely. With most of the strip mall part of the development getting to close to filling out, the focus will be on the lifestyle center. I am sure, you are like me, and hope this component is done with high standards. I guess we will know soon.

I know that the TIF has been very controversial, but it is instructive to remember where most of the TIF funds have been spent so far. The main source of TIF spending has been on road projects that most everyone agrees needed to be done. They include intersection work in the TIF, the I-35 access road, the Rock Creek overpass, and the northbound I-35 interchange with Robinson. The next major area of TIF spending is on Legacy Park. I am actually quite skeptical of the value of this component, but most people on city council believe Legacy Park will be the crown jewel of the development. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I hope they keep the cost of the park under control. (So far they have.)

bchris02
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
You WANT to see Crossroads revived???

I know you're from somewhere else, but what is your affinity with indoor shopping malls when we don't have a single meaningful lifestyle center anywhere in the metro?

We need the malls to die off already like elsewhere.

I would like to see a lifestyle center built but not at the cost of the remaining indoor malls. Dead malls are a blight and not something any city should hope for.

I've already said there is little hope for Crossroads are a regular mall and that a lifestyle center should be built on the Southside as meaningful replacement.

Plus, I know lifestyle centers are trendy, but I don't really see the appeal in a climate such as OKC's with cold winters and hot summers. It makes perfect sense in SoCal but the indoor mall more convenient in colder climates despite what the trends say. However, a nice lifestyle center would be good for the city nonetheless.

Just the facts
01-01-2013, 01:20 PM

They intend to keep it open as a mall, despite the departure of surrounding retailers like Best Buy, which relocated to the I-240 Penn Park shopping center at I-240 and Pennsylvania Avenue. Williams said Crossroads Mall’s owners want to redevelop the property with an emphasis on family entertainment.

I wonder if they are going to try turning it into a Mills mall.

Soonerman
01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I wonder if they are going to try turning it into a Mills mall.

Isn't Mills now owned by Simon??

mcca7596
01-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Plus, I know lifestyle centers are trendy, but I don't really see the appeal in a climate such as OKC's with cold winters and hot summers. It makes perfect sense in SoCal but the indoor mall more convenient in colder climates despite what the trends say. However, a nice lifestyle center would be good for the city nonetheless.

There are places with weather worse than OKC's that have successful lifestyle centers: Phoenix and Minneapolis come immediately to mind. It seems that many Oklahomans have a strange aversion to doing anything outdoors other than watching/playing sports or hunting/fishing.

Just the facts
01-01-2013, 03:14 PM
There are places with weather worse than OKC's that have successful lifestyle centers: Phoenix and Minneapolis come immediately to mind. It seems that many Oklahomans have a strange aversion to doing anything outdoors other than watching/playing sports or hunting/fishing.

This is one of the most disappointing things OKCTalk has brought to light. When I lived in Oklahoma people weren't afraid of the weather. What happened? When did Oklahomans become such wussus?

Lest there be any confussion:

Wuss: person regarded as weak or timid and especially as unmanly

At this rate OU and OSU will have to build dome stadiums.

RadicalModerate
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
I agree about the confussion of wussiness, yet I draw the line at the sexist implication connected with the term "unmanly" within the context of the Quote Block . . .
When I was a child, in Colorado, where it gets and stays cold for a long time--especially while waiting for the school bus--I often wondered how the girls could stand to go out in that weather wearing skirts.

Just the facts
01-01-2013, 04:04 PM
I agree about the confussion of wussiness, yet I draw the line at the sexist implication connected with the term "unmanly" within the context of the Quote Block . . .
When I was a child, in Colorado, where it gets and stays cold for a long time--especially while waiting for the school bus--I often wondered how the girls could stand to go out in that weather wearing skirts.

The problem in Oklahoma seems to be that even the boys are now wearing skirts, so maybe I do need to find a gender-neutral term. Maybe all the 'men' are now shopping at WalMart because they have outdoor 20 acre parking lot and people seem to be able to make that walk.

http://www.southbaltimore.com/images-business/walmart-b.jpg

RadicalModerate
01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I think it must be a cultural de-evolutionary thing . . . or sumpin' . . .
Note the abandoned shopping cart in the lower right corner of the photo: laziness rulz, eh? =)
(or possibly it's just "Bubbles' Bait" . . . seen The Canadian Triumph "Trailer Park Boys" yet?)

I hear tell someone wearin' their Sunday Go T' Walmart pajammers trapped a squirrel in that tree to the left.
Not to mention them Noodlers who got popped fer fishin' in the storm drain when the ice started t' melt.

(or is that really a photo from an Arkansas location . . ? they all look the same . . .)

progressiveboy
01-01-2013, 04:19 PM
There are still rumblings of turning Crossroads into an entertainment venue like Great Wolf in Dallas. I think that would work well as an attraction. In Real Estate, it is all about location, location, location........I just do not see this dinosaur of a mall being converted into a Great Wolf venue unless private developers or the city invests millions and millions in cleaning up that area. If their goal is to attract tourist and vacationers, then they are going to have to seriously clean up this area. It is quite scary.

bluedogok
01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I would like to see a lifestyle center built but not at the cost of the remaining indoor malls. Dead malls are a blight and not something any city should hope for.

I've already said there is little hope for Crossroads are a regular mall and that a lifestyle center should be built on the Southside as meaningful replacement.

Austin is miserable hot for 6 months of the year but yet The Domain is busy even on the hottest of days and is utterly packed on weekends, I saw it every workday for 3+ years from the time right after it opened when our office moved in there above Z Gallerie (second company in the office space). The outdoor malls here in the Denver area don't seem to have any trouble attracting a ton of traffic even with snow on the ground. Utica Square and Country Club Plaza in KC have been around a long time, well before "lifestyle center" became a type of shopping district and it seems like they have no problems attracting clientele. The thing that most "indoor mall people" seem to forget that the big box shopping centers are really nothing more than another outdoor mall and those seem to be busy no matter the weather and most don't have parking right at the front door.

RadicalModerate
01-01-2013, 04:29 PM

So . . . Would successful Minneapolis/(St. Paul) lifestyle centers include Minnehaha Falls Park and Swede Hollow Park? (just a simple paradigm check . . . =)

mcca7596
01-01-2013, 05:19 PM
So . . . Would successful Minneapolis/(St. Paul) lifestyle centers include Minnehaha Falls Park and Swede Hollow Park? (just a simple paradigm check . . . =)

If I'm following your cryptic question with correct (your intended) logic, I would say yes, they are successful "lifestyle" centers. They are successful in the same way that successful "lifestyle" centers in OKC include the Boathouse district, Lake Hefner, and any place in the city where OKC culture can be experienced through outdoor activities, thus providing the participant a hands-on primer on the "lifestyle" of a particular milieu.

Did I shift my paradigm to an acceptable standard based on your cultural and personal definitions of success? :-)

mcca7596
01-01-2013, 05:38 PM
(or is that really a photo from an Arkansas location . . ? they all look the same . . .)

Au contraire, have not you seen the urban examples provided on this board?

Additionally, a personal observation that I view as sad (considering the respective climates), Wal-Marts here in the Valley of the Sun, and indeed all retail establishments, have far greater levels of landscaping (and to a lesser extent, architectural variety) than stores in Oklahoma.

*Off topic*:

(The tree cover/height of newly planted trees really is curious to me; I mean how can Palo Verdes, Mesquites and Palms all be initially planted with greater height than anything in Oklahoma? It seems there are always a few obligatory sticks that are stuck around the periphery of new stores there. The newer Targets in Moore and Yukon come to mind... Just spend the money and landscape with more mature trees to begin with! The only place I can recall doing it right is the Myriad Gardens during the remodel. As a concession, I realize the argument could be made that there is a more pressing need for shade to provided here in the Phoenix area, but it appears that Oklahoma's summers are not too far off from us based on the last couple of years lol)

bchris02
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
I want to say first, that I think the reason OKC doesn't have lifestyle centers is not because people are "wusses" and afraid of the weather but because of the economic crash in 2008. Lifestyle centers were a mid-late 2000s fad and many of them were being built, breaking ground, or proposed at the time of the crash. If I remember correctly, there were several lifestyle center projects in the works that either got scaled down to nothing or scrapped completely when the economy tanked. OKC simply got screwed by bad timing. This happened all over the nation and not just in OKC. Many of the traditional retailers that open in lifestyle centers have not been in expansion mode since 2008, so I am sure that has something to do with it as well. The Outlet Shops are outdoors and have been a wild success so that shows the concept can work here. I would like to see a strong lifestyle center built in OKC as long as it doesn't come at the cost of the existing malls. It is also essential that when something does get built, its not just for the sake of it and that tenants are actually lined up to move in upon opening.

Little Rock built what was going to be a massive one called "Shackleford Crossing" before the crash and it has ended up a complete disaster. Most prospective tenants pulled out when the economy tanked and much of it currently still sits empty. The space that would originally have an upscale department store now has a Super Walmart and a few other big box stores have been built on the perimeter but the project as a whole has been one of the worst retail real-estate blunders I've seen. When one is built in OKC, it needs to be done right.

bluedogok
01-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Au contraire, have not you seen the urban examples provided on this board?

Additionally, a personal observation that I view as sad (considering the respective climates), Wal-Marts here in the Valley of the Sun, and indeed all retail establishments, have far greater levels of landscaping (and to a lesser extent, architectural variety) than stores in Oklahoma.

*Off topic*:

(The tree cover/height of newly planted trees really is curious to me; I mean how can Palo Verdes, Mesquites and Palms all be initially planted with greater height than anything in Oklahoma? It seems there are always a few obligatory sticks that are stuck around the periphery of new stores there. The newer Targets in Moore and Yukon come to mind... Just spend the money and landscape with more mature trees to begin with! The only place I can recall doing it right is the Myriad Gardens during the remodel. As a concession, I realize the argument could be made that there is a more pressing need for shade to provided here in the Phoenix area, but it appears that Oklahoma's summers are not too far off from us based on the last couple of years lol)
Developers are going to do the bare minimum they have to in order to satisfy the city and financiers. Development standards vary greatly.