View Full Version : Serious Relationships/Dating

Keith
04-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Serious relationship or just dating?

My views on serious relationships and general dating. Single guys, listen up.

In my opinion, if you are in a serious relationship, it has to be with one person only. It means that you care so much for that person, that they are the most important person in your life. It means that you want to be with them all of the time and that you have no desire to spend time with anyone else. In a serious relationship, you comfortably talk with one another about your future as a couple, you talk about intimicy, and you talk about your finances. Very serious relationships usually end up with engagements, and eventually, marriage.

If you are dating.......Before your date, make sure you are well groomed.....Make sure your shirt and pants have been ironed (You don't want to look like that you have been sleeping in your clothes). Make sure your hair is combed (unless you are like me and have no hair), and make sure you are clean shaven. If you have a beard and/or mustache, make sure they are neat and trimmed. Wear clean socks (and clean underwear, in case you are in an accident). If you have some cologne, slap a little on. Don't overdo it or you will smell like you bathed in it. Never put cologne on in leu of a shower. Cologne and body odor is a bad mix. Also, remember that you will be talking to your date, so have a few peppermints in your pocket so that when you talk to her you won't wilt her hair or melt her makeup. There is nothing like a date with bad breath. By all means, if you feel like you need to belch or pass gas, excuse yourself and go to the restroom. She doesn't want to hear you belch and she certainly doesn't want to hear you pass gas....and then have to smell it. You never have another chance to make a first impression.

The casual first date is a time when you just want to get to know each other. You don't talk about a future together, you don't discuss sex, you don't discuss finances, and you certainly don't discuss ex boyfriends/girlfriends. You discuss the small things....like...........what kind of food you like or don't like, what your favorite color is, what you like about your job or don't like about your job, how many siblings you may have.............stuff like that. You don't want to be negative in any way. You don't go into great detail about any of it. If you have an excellent job and you make good money, don't brag about it. You don't want to sound like you are a big shot, or that you are better than anyone else, but you also don't want to sound like a wimp.

Most of the first dates I had (in my teens) were like this. Once we talked about some of these small things, time would go by, and then when we felt comfortable about talking about more serious things, we did. Most of the time, the date was dinner and a movie. At dinner we would do most all of the talking......IMPORTANT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>When I was on a date, and we were eating in a restaurant, I would normally wipe my face off after every bite. The last thing you want is for your date to see part of your roast beef or your chicken, stuck to the side of your mouth. Now that I have had a beard and a goatie, it is more important. Nobody wants to see bits of food in your mustache or goatie. Ok, back to the talking part.....do not talk with food in your mouth. Even if you have your mouth shut, it is rude to try to talk. Plus, if you aren't careful...if you are talking with your mouth full, you could possibly project something out of your mouth on to her...NOT cool.

After dinner, I would take her to the movie. Remember, if you want her to remember you, open doors for her, and let her go in first. When you park your vehicle, make sure you get out quickly and go to her side of the car and open the door for her. At the first of the movie, we would not touch each other. During the movie, I would usually put my arm around her....not tightly, but loosely. She doesn't want to feel confined. After the movie, since there was usually a crowd, I would mention to her that I don't want to lose her in the crowd, and reach for her hand. Normally, after the date, and when it was time to take her home, I would walk her up to her doorstep, ask her if she had fun, and then I would make the move for a quick peck on the mouth. I never had any problems...as a matter of fact, I remember a few little pecks that turned into sensuous, passionate, kisses.....with her making that move. If the date went lousy, I would still walk her up to the door, and just tell her goodnight. You can usually tell if they want a goodnight kiss or not. Now, I never had a blind date...all of my dates could see.LOL

Midtowner
04-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Common sense stuff Keith.

But common sense is not common, so this may help some folks out :)