View Full Version : It Is Your Fault

Thunder
12-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Yup, the people of America screwed up once again by shopping excessively at Walmart and other retailers so big, they don't require our money during the holidays season. During such time, smaller retailers and small businesses desperately need our money the most, but when the people fail the economy by supporting Walmart, thousands of people will lose their jobs...all thanks to Walmart shoppers.

http://www.koco.com/nationalnews/30079376/detail.html

Sears & Kmart to close at least 100 stores nationwide.

Disclaimer: The title is for general audience and does not necessarily mean you.

BBatesokc
12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't know how Sears has hung on so long with their current business model and huge brick and mortar stores.

I keep waiting for the SW 44 and Western store to fold. I went in twice during this holiday season and on both occasions showed their employees/manager that the exact same item was 20-60% cheaper at other retailers (both brick & mortar and online). The place is dead inside, way too big and they try to be all things to all people and offer nothing of value in most cases. That said, I do tend to find their larger power tools are a decent price when they clear them out.

However, I do unapologetically shop at WalMart all the time (preferably very early in the morning). Capitalism baby!

Roadhawg
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
I shop at Walmart but I also shop at local mom and pop stores when I can. You couldn't pay me to go to Walmart during the Christmas shopping season. It's crazy enough the rest of the year.

RadicalModerate
12-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Headline (Dec. 27, 2015):
Walmart to close 1000 Neighborhood Markets
Underperformance due to Super Walmarts cited as reason for cost cutting move

Snowman
12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Yup, the people of America screwed up once again by shopping excessively at Walmart and other retailers so big, they don't require our money during the holidays season. During such time, smaller retailers and small businesses desperately need our money the most, but when the people fail the economy by supporting Walmart, thousands of people will lose their jobs...all thanks to Walmart shoppers.

http://www.koco.com/nationalnews/30079376/detail.html

Sears & Kmart to close at least 100 stores nationwide.

Disclaimer: The title is for general audience and does not necessarily mean you.

You are merging arguments. Sears & Kmart are not small retailers/businesses and are similarly responsible for putting pressure on small retailers/businesses.

I find it a little funny you phrase the argument like Walmart is not part of the economy, their have been some economists state that Walmart itself has lowered the rate of inflation on purchases in the US. I am fairly sure Kmart did not pay better than Walmart, not sure about Sears vs their competitors; so it is more of a change in who the local big box retailers are since they moved into the area at the time. To a large extent the small businesses majorly impacted by Walmart do not fold after a holiday season it seems to trend more to within a year or two after they build the store.

MadMonk
12-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Its the consumer's fault? Really? Is that how things work at the Thunder Shack?

The last time I shopped a Sears was a horrible experience customer service-wise and I think the nearest Kmart is miles out of my way, so why should I spend my money at those retailers for something I can get (probably) cheaper at Wal Mart and in a much more convenient manner? It's not the consumer's fault that a company doesn't competed successfully, its the store's fault.

OKCTalker
12-27-2011, 10:51 AM
There are winners and losers in a free market economy. What alternative would you prefer?

Thunder
12-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Thunder's Shack closed some time ago. I was in the process of remodeling and preparing to build display tanks (to hold fish for sale) and open up a fish/aquarium store, but when I unexpectedly got a new home, I had to refocus on the finance priority, so my store is basically nothing right now. I did offered my friend to use my space, which she is right now, and she is considering moving down from the swap meet side to use my space free. I do sell some things that I make, but Thunder's Shack is basically a commission place where people can sell anything they want (no rent cost) and I collect certain percentage fees.

ou48A
12-27-2011, 11:01 AM
There are winners and losers in a free market economy.

Exactly^

When efficacy naturally occurs it helps society advance and become more prosperous.
It’s up to the individual to be smart enough to profitably adapt to changing market conditions.

jn1780
12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Here is what you said in the other thread. Why is it the customers fault this time around?

10 miles is the least acceptable distance to build another store. Just because there is a Walmart does not automatically doom a nearby business. You have to understand that it is ultimately on the smaller businesses to continue being smart and competitive in order to stay in business. If they don't do that, then they will fail completely on their own. They must move forward or die. One grand example is the town of Checotah. In that such tiny town, they have been supporting two full grocery stores for years. Several years ago, Walmart rebuilt into a huge Supercenter and to this day, the two grocery stores are still in thriving business. Checotah now have 3 grocery stores. Last year (a trip to Eufaula for New Year party), I was amazed at the low/affordable prices at Nichols compared to Walmart.

Thunder
12-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Here is what you said in the other thread. Why is it the customers fault this time around?

People should not be spending hundreds...thousands...majority of their Christmas shopping inside Walmart. They need to spread apart and try their best to support as much retailers and small business owners as possible. That is what I do.

Hawk405359
12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
It's the retailer's job to lure consumers in. As a consumer, I am interested in getting a product for a price I am willing to pay for it. It's not my responsibility to support one large corporation over another.

Of Sound Mind
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
People should not be spending hundreds...thousands...majority of their Christmas shopping inside Walmart. They need to spread apart and try their best to support as much retailers and small business owners as possible.
How do you know that it's not happening already? I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart was not the only retailer who had a profitable Christmas.

HewenttoJared
12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Headline (Dec. 27, 2015):
Walmart to close 1000 Neighborhood Markets
Underperformance due to Super Walmarts cited as reason for cost cutting move

Actually, the trend is towards something in between the two.

Uncle Slayton
12-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I had a finite amount of money to spend. I shopped online for the best deal and when I found it, I bought it. The rest of the gifts I gave, I made by hand. Made several people very happy this Christmas for a total outlay of under $400 bucks.

Data from the free market doesn't seem to indicate a good statistical fit with the "no child left behind" model.

Oh, and I bought exactly bubkes at Walmart.

Bunty
12-27-2011, 05:48 PM
However, I do unapologetically shop at WalMart all the time (preferably very early in the morning). Capitalism baby!
How early? I heard strange people go to Wa-Mart at 2 am in the morning. I've never been there then. I find going between 10 and midnight good.

kevinpate
12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
How early? I heard strange people go to Wa-Mart at 2 am in the morning. I've never been there then. I find going between 10 and midnight good.

Wal-mart between 2 and 5 am = very cheap entertainment

bandnerd
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Not my fault, I don't shop at Wal-Mart.

BBatesokc
12-27-2011, 07:49 PM

I'm up at 4, so I often hit the MWC one around 5am.

Actually, my Christmas this year was basically free. I used my Amazon credit card all year and saved all the reward points. I used them to buy gifts and even myself something. I find Amazon is pretty generous with the reward points.

Thunder
12-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Okay, great advertising marketing, Brian! I need to go get one, too!

ljbab728
12-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Its the consumer's fault? Really? Is that how things work at the Thunder Shack?

The last time I shopped a Sears was a horrible experience customer service-wise and I think the nearest Kmart is miles out of my way, so why should I spend my money at those retailers for something I can get (probably) cheaper at Wal Mart and in a much more convenient manner? It's not the consumer's fault that a company doesn't competed successfully, its the store's fault.

I was at Sears today. I took my 87 year old mother who needed some undergarments. The brand she wants isn't sold at Walmart so there's no way to compare prices. She looked at Pennys first. The item she wanted was $30.00 but you could get 4 of them if you buy two. At sears the price was $15.00 for one. Guess where she bought one at. I found the clerks and service to be excellent at both places.

I was also at Walmart both today and yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not nearly as busy as I expected. Parking and check out were very easy.

Thunder
12-27-2011, 10:26 PM
I buy majority of my yarns at Hobby Lobby, an Oklahoma company. Walmart is cheaper, yes, but Hobby Hobby has this heavenly I Love This Cotton! yarns in many colors assortment very soft. About every 6 weeks, they have the sale on them for $2.66 a bundle, which I try to take advantage each time to maximize my narrow profits. Always important to support local for majority of purchases. Amazon is great in Brian's case, but in no way does it specifically boost Oklahoma's economy.

oneforone
12-28-2011, 01:33 AM
The days of Walmart owning the retail world are over. Most stores have changed their model to reflect the simple idea so many Walmart shoppers were after (reasonable prices). Target charges a touch more but, you get a store that is quieter, clean, neat and full of sales people that know the store inside and out. There store designs forced Walmart to get away from a store layouts that have a generic appearance.

Sears and many others that have failed before them stayed stagnant for too many years. It's been years since Sears remodeled their stores to reflect what people currently buy. JCPenney, Macy's and Dillards have all revamped their stores to support current buying trends. They should have left the malls years ago and anchored shopping centers. They could be strong as ever but they just like every other retailer that has died over the years. They were so big at one point they thought nobody would ever catch up to them. I will be really surprised if Midwest City and the S. Western store are still operating after this cut. Neither store sees enough traffic to support staying open. Their best bet would be closing both stores and relocating to Tinker Diagonal or somewhere along 240. Quail Springs will likely stay open unless they are looking to leave Oklahoma all together.

I miss the store Sears was during my childhood. It was the one stop store. You could pay your bills, by electronics, sporting goods, tools, gifts, clothing, appliances, get your car serviced or repaired, fill your gas tank, grab a bite to eat at the snack and candy counter. Grandparents on both sides of the family frequented the S. Western and the 23rd and Penn stores. If I was on my best behavior I always got a small bag of candy from the candy counter that sold candy by the pound.

Bunty
12-28-2011, 01:53 AM
It will be interesting to see if increased shopping and ordering on the Internet will make the retail world as we know it now go away in a decade or two.

oneforone
12-28-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't see it going away because there will always be large core of the population who want to take stuff for a test drive before they buy. Not to mention every store has the "I'm just here to kill time" browsers. I do see retailers expanding their delivery operations as internet sales increase. I think Best Buy will likely start it. I can see them delivering small items as time goes on. Large delivery trucks will probably be replaced with Hightop panel vans and Hybrid/electric cars. Appliances are about the only thing a large delivery truck is needed for these days. In time appliances will likely become lighter as new plastics and lighter metals are developed.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-28-2011, 05:18 AM
All I want to know is...If/when Sears closes...WHERE IN THE HELL AM I GOING TO BUY MY TOOLS?

Bill Robertson
12-28-2011, 06:07 AM
All I want to know is...If/when Sears closes...WHERE IN THE HELL AM I GOING TO BUY MY TOOLS?Quite a few Craftsman tools are already being sold at Ace. I can see this expanding and/or Craftsman becoming it's own brand if Sears bites the dust.

Back to the OP. It's largely my fault. I would guess 75% or so of everything we buy comes from Walmart. When someone else becomes as convienient a one-stop-shop as Walmart we'll give them a try. Until then my time and money are the most important things to me.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-28-2011, 06:15 AM
Ace isn't exactly a model of fiscal success these days is it?

I would hope that Craftsman doesn't move there. I'd rather see them crank up their own stores, or go the way of Mac/Snap-On.

No wait...That would suck, I quit buying both of them because 1 - too much money for a hobbyist and 2 - Hard to pin down a dealer when you break a tool...No money in it for them so they don't care.

My guess is that they just start selling at Lowes and/or Home Depot...In which case, I guess that's just one more department of expenditures from my house that will migrate to primarily online purchases.

BBatesokc
12-28-2011, 06:27 AM
The one thing I still like about ACE is that they are still (for the most part) a hardware store and still employ people that know what they are doing (like Radio Shack used to be). Every time I've gone in to ACE they could answer my handyman question. I also find they carry items Lowe's and Home Depot do not. Which is a good thing, because often their prices are a bit higher (sort of like shopping Target over WalMart). But, the managers have the ability and often the willingness to drop prices on seasonal items. I bought some huge outdoor ceramic planters at the end of the year that had been $180/ea - marked down to about $100 - when I asked they went ahead and dropped them another 40%. They will often do the same for plants and outdoor furniture/grills.

As for tools, I hit Steve's or Harbor Freight. Not the best quality, but I don't use them on even a monthly basis so I go for function and price.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-28-2011, 06:36 AM
The one thing I still like about ACE is that they are still (for the most part) a hardware store and still employee people that know what they are doing (like Radio Shack used to be). Every time I've gone in to ACE they could answer my handyman question. I also find they carry items Lowe's and Home Depot do not. Which is a good thing, because often their prices are a bit higher (sort of like shopping Target over WalMart). But, the managers have the ability and often the willingness to drop prices on seasonal items. I bought some huge outdoor ceramic planters at the end of the year that had been $180/ea - marked down to about $100 - when I asked they went ahead and dropped them another 40%. They will often dog the same for plants and outdoor furniture/grills.

As for tools, I hit Steve's or Harbor Freight. Not the best quality, but I don't use them on even a monthly basis so I go for function and price.

Oh, for sure. I go to Ace whenever I can, for those very reasons. But I frequently back the wrong horse *looks at his shiny and barely used HD DVD player*, and there's no Ace close by my house. I have a TruValue less than a mile away though, and they'll let me run a monthly tab if I want. Heck, I had to buy some pipe a while back, and they didn't have it...The guy told me "we can have it here this afternoon, come down around 3 and pick it up". Yeah...They sent a guy to Allied Steel (I think that's where they got it) just for 16' of pipe. Just for me. From Choctaw. I love that place.