View Full Version : OKC police helicopter question

old okie
12-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Anyone know why the OKCPD copter was flying a repeated pattern around S.W. 104th & May area--could have extended a bit farther in all directions, hard to tell exactly--from approx. 3:30 AM to 5:30 AM this morning (12-27)? We never heard any sirens, which usually accompany the copter if it is in "search" mode. For the "search" to last that long (with one break, apparently to go refuel), we figured something significant had to have happened.

Really curious and would appreciate any info.

BBatesokc
12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Probably nothing. Where I live (SE 44 and Sooner area), helicopters flying overhead at all hours is pretty normal. Rarely do we ever hear sirens. They tend to circle the ghetto apartments at SE 44 and Cherry Hill at least a couple of times a month.

I have a police scanner app on my iPhone and you can often tell what is going on by their chatter. Usually it is just some burglary, vandalism or shoplifting suspect on the run. In most of those cases the police will not arrive with sirens (or even lights in many cases).

Roadhawg
12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I get so many helicopters flying over my house... 50th and May area.. that I don't pay attention

RadicalModerate
12-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Could it be the Newz Helicopters checking out why the police helicopter is circling the neighborhood?

old okie
12-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I get so many helicopters flying over my house... 50th and May area.. that I don't pay attention

Agreed. Under normal flyovers, the noise doesn't even wake us up, but this morning, it was over and over and over and over, until not only did it awaken us, we couldn't get back to sleep because of the persistent sound. You get the picture! And we even live under part of the flight path to WR, but the planes don't circle for 2 hours.

Since the police usually don't even respond to break-in calls in our neighborhood--they just take the information over the phone, it just seemed like something outside the ordinary must have happened.

We did wonder if someone had walked away from one of the many senior assisted centers in the area, but never heard about a "silver alert."

Guess we'll never know.

Roadhawg
12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Agreed. Under normal flyovers, the noise doesn't even wake us up, but this morning, it was over and over and over and over, until not only did it awaken us, we couldn't get back to sleep because of the persistent sound. You get the picture! And we even live under part of the flight path to WR, but the planes don't circle for 2 hours.

Since the police usually don't even respond to break-in calls in our neighborhood--they just take the information over the phone, it just seemed like something outside the ordinary must have happened.

We did wonder if someone had walked away from one of the many senior assisted centers in the area, but never heard about a "silver alert."

Guess we'll never know.

I'm thinking a SAM would have fixed the problem for you :tiphat:

chuck johnson
12-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm glad someone brought this up. I live on SW 99th and Fairview. The helicopter was hovering at the same cul de sac at SW 96th and Fairview. It went on for a long, long time and very close to the ground, thus very loud. I got up repeatedly and looked out the window. It never strayed from that same area until I turned on the porch light and walked outside. It immediately homed in on me and after waving at it, I promptly went inside. There were no patrol cars visible at the entrance to the cul de sac at any point. I'm not sure what they were looking for, but it wasn't an Asian guy.

Thunder
12-27-2011, 09:13 PM
You guys need to report the offense to the proper authority. I'm not sure if OKCPD will do anything about it, but at least try calling them with an angry message. Sending an email should work, too. Try something to get a response. They are liable/responsible for providing an explanation for disturbing the peace (which is a crime).

Chucky, you shouldn't have waved at them. You should've displayed angry body language...and possibly wave a broom at them in a violent motion. They need to get it through their heads that it was unacceptable.

They don't need to be doing that to people. So far, not a single person from OKCPD on here is responding to this offense. Trust me, if I was hearing something like this, I would be raising hell, because its unacceptable.

I haven't seen anything on the news. Brian mentioned nothing on the police scanners. So, this was most likely joyriding and intentionally disturbing the peace.

Just before Christmas, the old lady neighbor next door was found on the floor (still alive). There was swarm of police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks all over the street. Did they constantly leave their blaring sirens on? Nope. It was all silent and respectful. They did their job properly.

oneforone
12-28-2011, 02:31 AM

If you are talking about NW 50th and May, 95% of them are moving in and out from Baptist. Deaconess and Baptist are all on the MERC trauma rotation so that is why there are so many helicopters in that area.

I noticed Air One usually patrols South of I-40 and West of I-44 until about 39th Street. You do not see the police helicopter on the far Northwest side unless a ground search or pursuit is in progress.

I wouldn't follow Thunder's advice they will get an officer at your door on welfare investigation. A broom could easily be confused for a rifle from the air. They can fly anywhere they want in the city provided they are conducting patrols or responding to a call. Not all traffic comes across police scanners these days. Most of the traffic comes across the mobile data terminals. It was likely they were responding to an alarm call. Air one will check alarm and high priority calls from the air if no officers can respond right away. It could have also been a surveillance run on someone's house. They do have thermal imaging cameras on board and they can tell if people are present. People don't realize just how spread out OKC officers are on a given night.

BBatesokc
12-28-2011, 05:46 AM
Better yet, wave a weedwacker at them, if memory serves, that gets quite a response.

Naturally, ignore Thunder's advice and just chalk it up to a routine patrol or Air1 just being first on the scene.

Bill Robertson
12-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I get so many helicopters flying over my house... 50th and May area.. that I don't pay attentionWe used to live on 42nd a couple of blocks East of May. The helicopter was at least a weekly thing. One night it was really low and I went out on the porch to check it out. I got hit by the spotlight and was told to get back in the house.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-28-2011, 05:57 AM
We used to live on 42nd a couple of blocks East of May. The helicopter was at least a weekly thing. One night it was really low and I went out on the porch to check it out. I got hit by the spotlight and was told to get back in the house.

That's only because you were naked.

Thunder
12-28-2011, 08:44 AM
That's only because you were awesomely naked.

:LolLolLol

OKCTalker
12-28-2011, 09:25 AM
You guys need to report the offense to the proper authority. I'm not sure if OKCPD will do anything about it, but at least try calling them with an angry message. Sending an email should work, too. Try something to get a response. They are liable/responsible for providing an explanation for disturbing the peace (which is a crime).

Operating a motor vehicle while exceeding the speed limit, running through red lights, crossing the centerline and making excessive noise are also illegal, but that's what police, fire and EMSA do.

Hondo1
12-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Not particularly relevant, but I'm curious. How many helicopters does the OKC police department have? Seems like the proper thread to ask.

BBatesokc
12-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Not particularly relevant, but I'm curious. How many helicopters does the OKC police department have? Seems like the proper thread to ask.

I assume the only ones are at the old downtown airpark. I see two in the hangars when I'm there.

oneforone
12-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Correct, there are two helicopters and one small fixed wing aircraft for flying officers out of state for conducting investigations and interviews with suspects who are in custody out of state. They alternate between the two helicopters to reduce wear and tear on the aircrafts. Not to mention if one goes down the other is ready for use. Which is conservative considering OCPD covers 620 square miles of Oklahoma City, metro cities and few of the rural areas near the city when needed. LAPD runs 19 helicopters and 1 Beechcraft for 489 square miles of service area.
During Emergencies they will put both helicopters in the air. The night that one tornado went towards the television stations I remember hearing Air 1, Air 2 and Omaha 1 (OHP) they were all assisting with disaster recovery since all the power got knocked out up there. I remember hearing Mason Dunn tell the anchors when he was back at News 9 that night that he had to follow the roads into the station to avoid hitting the antenna support wires at the station and the other stations.

Brett
12-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Here are some videos regarding OCPD air support.

OCPD Police Forum (Air One pt. 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_xqIzPa68U&feature=related)

OCPD Police Forum (Air One pt. 2) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4IMqPJ1zBI&feature=related)

Roadhawg
12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I've never heard of that wire cutter they have on front of the copter before, makes sense though.

RadicalModerate
12-29-2011, 07:58 AM
I think it would be cool if they mounted train horns on the helicopters.
Some may disagree.

Roadhawg
12-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Some may disagree.

Now there's an idea I can get behind.

OKCTalker
12-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Some may disagree.

Don't dare fly them over Automobile Alley!

Hollywood
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Many valid points raised in this thread. One thing I've noticed lately is Air 1 augmenting the guys on the ground due to manpower issues. Air 1 has been checking on Extra Watch/Patrols to free up the patrolman to take calls. Possibly what they may have been doing. Just being a presence. I was on a traffic stop the other night and the guys in the bird were doing one of these Extra Patrols in the apartment complex I was next to.

MDot
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Some may disagree.

You have my support as well.

Roadhawg
12-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Some may disagree.

I think they should start that in the KC area right away.

MDot
12-29-2011, 12:49 PM
I think they should start that in the KC area right away.

Specifically in the area that {insert name here} lives.

RadicalModerate
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
. . . which is hopefully neither KC's version of Midtown nor Automobile Alley.

(Perhaps down there on Prospect Ave, south of The Interstate/12th St. and Vine, and a little west of Highway 71 . . .)

ctchandler
12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
You know, it's amazing how your attitude about things like a helicopter, siren, lights, are altered when you are the victim. My home was broken into a few years ago and one of them ran away and he was chased on foot and caught by the officer from a police car, and the second one was caught in his vehicle after being spotted by a helicopter about two hours after the break-in. And this year, the fires. There's nothing I like better than the sound of those attempting to help me out of a problem. I'm not being critical of any of you that feel differently, just my personal feelings. I will take a little noise disturbance any day. In thirty-six years I have had two problems and and I welcome the police/fire and of course the media when they are providing choppers as they did during the fires. Like I said, no criticism, we are all entitled to our opinions and I certainly have had a few of my own.
C. T.

Roadhawg
12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
ct.... I don't think anybody was criticising the sirens or the helicopter. I think were were trying to decide if we need to put train horns on the helicopters and police cars lol

ctchandler
12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Oops, Roadhawg,
It wouldn't be the first time that I posted off-topic things on a thread! You folks have to keep me straight.
C. T.

JayhawkTransplant
12-29-2011, 05:32 PM
What exactly warrants the use of the good ol ghetto bird?

This week, something happened down my street (22nd and Villa area), and first the fire truck showed up, then the ambulance. Then several cops. At first, we thought maybe it was an attempted break-in (the fire truck and ambulance were more like first responders...they kinda stood around in the yard for a long time), but when the helicopter came around, I thought it had to be more than just an attempted break-in, because that seems like an expensive search endeavor to use everytime that happens!

And, yeah, I was out walking my dog, and was told to make my way home quickly.

old okie
12-29-2011, 06:11 PM
ct.... I don't think anybody was criticising the sirens or the helicopter. I think were were trying to decide if we need to put train horns on the helicopters and police cars lol

No, I wasn't criticizing the helicopter; we were just really curious as to what might have happened at that time--call it just being nosy, I reckon; thought someone here might be able to answer. Never meant to stir up any controversy.

Sirens, meh, have plenty of those; we're near a fire station and on a main street for ambulance runs, so they are just part of the routine background noise.

As for train horns, meh. They sound better than the boom-box cars and squealing tires we often hear going down the street at all times of day and night. :ohno:

Bunty
12-30-2011, 01:26 AM
That's only because you were naked.

Is that how people act who live close to F@g Town?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Is that how people act who live close to F@g Town?

Is this how people post who live close to Insufferable @sshole Town?

Bill Robertson
12-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Is this how people post who live close to Insufferable @sshole Town?Thank you.

Roadhawg
12-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I was bored last night so I listened to the police scanner for a while and it sounds like OKCPD was having a busy evening with several assaults and even heard a few calls for Air1.

Thunder
12-30-2011, 11:51 AM
I was bored last night so I listened to the police scanner for a while and it sounds like OKCPD was having a busy evening with several assaults and even heard a few calls for Air1.

Dispatcher: Air1, we have an emergency. Are you available to proceed?
Air1: Yes, we are just finishing our midnight snacks. What's the emergency?
(conversation continues...)
Dispatcher: Okay, I will monitor the activity on OKCTalk to see what those people are saying this time.
Air1: Please let us know in advance if anyone comes out naked. Our spotlight cracked the other night.

SoonerDave
12-30-2011, 06:21 PM
While I certainly have no desire to start a fight with OKC's finest, I must confirm that long lasting, loud, low flyover around 104th and May the other night. It woke my wife at 4:30am, and I think that's bordering on unreasonable unless you're tracking a fleeing felon or comparable....I think at least a basic explanation would at least satisfy the demands of courtesy for the neighborhood...

JayhawkTransplant
12-30-2011, 07:54 PM
I can't provide an explanation as to why it was in your area at that time, but I don't think I would ever worry that a helicopter hovering at 4:30AM would be 'unreasonable.' Flying a helicopter is not cheap. There's a reason they were there.

WilliamTell
12-31-2011, 06:08 AM
I heard one last night around 3am in the choctaw area, it was enough to wake me up but it didnt stick around for too long.

My guess is that they might be burning flight hours before the end of the calendar year.

chuck johnson
01-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I can't provide an explanation as to why it was in your area at that time, but I don't think I would ever worry that a helicopter hovering at 4:30AM would be 'unreasonable.' Flying a helicopter is not cheap. There's a reason they were there.

It wasn't an issue of time. It hovered over the same cul de sac for nearly two hours. The spotlight was was homed on that cul de sac and no where else. There were no police cars to be seen. I'm not at all upset about it, but I think those of us who live in the neighborhood have a certain curiosity about the situation. I walked over to an old friend's parents place in the cul de sac to ask and they had no clue either. They never saw cops too.

I can understand them holding a position while waiting for backup. Our home alarm has been accidentally tripped before and it took almost 45 minutes before the police came.

If there's something the neighborhood should be aware of, it would be nice to know for sure. Good, well-informed neighbors can protect their neighborhood better than law enforcement or at least be of better help.