View Full Version : Great article on OKC in today's WSJ

Pete
04-13-2005, 08:29 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/0,,SB111334506692305140-H9jfoNhlaV4mpypZ3uHcaiGm4,00.html

Very good pub!

mranderson
04-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes. A glowing report, despite the manure. The only thing I would correct is the comment about inferiority complex. Most people in this city still suffer from it. Ii is called negitvity. Negitive thoughts. pessimestic.

metro
04-13-2005, 09:42 AM
The inferiority was okay I thought, yes we still have alot of people to change but I believe alot more have got over it. I didnt like the part about manure, especially since thats what the article ended with? how weak. Other than that it was a great article and should draw alot of attention being in the Wall Street Journal.

OUman
04-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, the part about the manure, and the placement of it-at the end of the article, is so typical of WSJ writers, it's not surprising really. But it does mention the progress that Oklahoma City has made, and I hope that's the part people grasp a hold of when they read it. A lot of people are still unaware that Oklahoma City has headquarters of major companies like Sonic and Devon Energy.

Atleast it rids us of our old image as a cow-town, which it's definitely not any longer.

OUman

Patrick
04-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Yeah, it was a positive report that ended with this:

"Despite the rebound, parts of the city still look and smell the way they did years ago. The world's largest stock yard, with its massive manure piles, is just blocks from downtown. But even that may change. The owners have proposed building a horse-show arena and hotel where the manure piles now stand."

Whatever! Will we ever be able to shake our hick image for good?

floater
04-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks, MalibuSooner. It was a glowing review. As for the manure line, what do you expect from the stockyards? Cattle ranching has never been known as a prissy business.

I hope this is the first of many articles about how the city has changed....

Pete
04-13-2005, 12:04 PM
For the first time ever, I firmly believe that anyone that visits OKC will leave with a very good impression of a city on the move -- especially if they stay downtown.

The key is getting people to come and see for themselves and that appears to be happening more and more frequently.

mranderson
04-13-2005, 12:40 PM
I think when they leave after visting Bricktown, they will have a positive opinion, however, they will still have that "rip roarin' cowboy, redneck" image in their minds. We have a lot of work to rid ourselves of that one.

Karried
04-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks so much for that link, that is wonderful exposure and a fantastic report on our city - let's all write the journalist and say thank you and let's invite him to come visit Bricktown....

whoooo hooooo! Go OKC!

Ryan Chittum

ryan.chittum@wsj.com (ryan.chittum@wsj.com)

Patrick
04-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Although Bricktown has come a long ways, I think we have to realize it's no where close to being complete. We saw that during the recent NCAA tournament. Although the theater does provide another entertainment option, we need more diverse entertainment offerings in the area. I hate to repeat this, but we could really use a nice bookstore in Bricktown.

BricktownGuy
04-14-2005, 10:30 PM
I second that motion, by Patrick. :)

okcpulse
04-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I third that motion.

Karried
04-16-2005, 07:43 PM
http://www.wguides.com/city/273/city_districts.cfm

This is a great travel review of OKC I found...

mranderson
04-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Not bad. The only thing I saw wrong is the reference to the south. That is the image we are trying to get rid of.

floater
04-17-2005, 01:25 PM
It is a somewhat dated entry (detailing Bricktown 54, Jokers, the Museum of Art still in the fairgrounds and no mention of the Chihuly collection), but I like the way it describes the city's neighborhoods. A nice, postive review!!