View Full Version : People arrested, because feeding homeless bums is a crime.

Thunder
12-20-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/crime/os-homeless-feedings-arrests-20110601,0,7226362.story

Florida is a horrible state.

kevinpate
12-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Rather than intending to violate an ordinance after losing the court battle, seems a better move might have been to have more than one group get a permit and then have each group serve only 25 folk each. Perhaps not, but I am imagining 250 per person bail would have bought a passle of food and permits, not to mention some good will.

BBatesokc
12-21-2011, 05:35 AM
We can be pretty petty here too. I was once threatened with a ticket for putting a quarter in someone else's expired meter. I saw the meter maid across the street and noticed two cars in front of me had expired meters - so, I put a quarter in each. Mr. Meter man took it very personally and was very close to giving me a ticket. I had no idea that was an offense. As a matter of fact, what made me think to do it was Matt Lauer on the TODAY show had recently said "brighten someone's day and put a coin in their parking meter." Well, not in OKC.

I still do it from time-to-time, but very covertly.

Achilleslastand
12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I do it from time to time and had no idea at all it was a crime.^^^
Jeesh kinda silly if you ask me.

Bunty
12-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Getting arrested for feeding the homeless without a permit goes clear back to the 1980's in a place like San Francisco: http://www.foodnotbombs.net/z_30th_anniversary_2.html

chuck johnson
12-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Getting arrested for feeding the homeless without a permit goes clear back to the 1980's in a place like San Francisco: http://www.foodnotbombs.net/z_30th_anniversary_2.html

I used to walk by the "Food not Bombs" in the Mssion District people while they were giving away food. The lentil soup was pretty good.

Suffice it to say, it's not illegal in San Francisco.

The City of SF spends more money per capita on the homeless than any other city. Some might argue that it spends too much.

The homeless problem affects different cities in different ways and they've had to deal with it in their own ways. Santa Monica has a similar ordinance. Feeding the homeless is not illegal in Orlando, rather it's methods being used.

If I were to set up a soup line in Bricktown on a Friday night or in front of the arena during a Thunder game , the city would say no as well. That's the issue. It hurts tourism if it's not properly done. The City of Orlando doesn't want to drive away tourists nor does Santa Monica.

chuck johnson
12-21-2011, 10:47 AM
We can be pretty petty here too. I was once threatened with a ticket for putting a quarter in someone else's expired meter. I saw the meter maid across the street and noticed two cars in front of me had expired meters - so, I put a quarter in each. Mr. Meter man took it very personally and was very close to giving me a ticket. I had no idea that was an offense. As a matter of fact, what made me think to do it was Matt Lauer on the TODAY show had recently said "brighten someone's day and put a coin in their parking meter." Well, not in OKC.

It's illegal in a lot of cities. The rationale regarding parking meters isn't just revenue, they also facilitate traffic flow. The meters "encourage" people to go about their business and then leave promptly, allowing others access to the spot and hopefully they will do the same.

I worked on Campus Corner in Norman while I was in college and it was very common to see the employees in the area "move-in" to a parking spot and feed the meter all day long. Potential customers were left circling the area for the remaining spots and that further increased congestion. Not good for business.

I've fed other people's meters not only to help a stranger out, but because those fines can be ridiculous.

BBatesokc
12-21-2011, 05:49 PM
It's illegal in a lot of cities. The rationale regarding parking meters isn't just revenue, they also facilitate traffic flow. The meters "encourage" people to go about their business and then leave promptly, allowing others access to the spot and hopefully they will do the same.

I worked on Campus Corner in Norman while I was in college and it was very common to see the employees in the area "move-in" to a parking spot and feed the meter all day long. Potential customers were left circling the area for the remaining spots and that further increased congestion. Not good for business.

I've fed other people's meters not only to help a stranger out, but because those fines can be ridiculous.

I'm not completely buying that argument. I've been in cities where the main concern was traffic flow and not revenue and they would mark tires so they'd know how long you had been there. It would be goofy for employees to do this on a regular basis as its much cheaper to use a garage.

That said, I do know two attorneys who park in front of their offices and have a secretary/runner feed the meter all day because they want to come and go more easily.

Also, some Wes Lane fans tried to complain to the meter maids when I would leave my Vote Out Wes Lane van parked in front of the courthouse all day long in the same spot. The meter maid agreed there was a time limit on the books, but that since they didn't enforce it on anyone else, they were not going to enforce it on me.

I'm thinking they see my quarter as stealing $15 from them when I feed an expired meter. I actually probably do it more now that i know the law - just out of spite. But, I'm sorta wired that way!

rcjunkie
12-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm not completely buying that argument. I've been in cities where the main concern was traffic flow and not revenue and they would mark tires so they'd know how long you had been there. It would be goofy for employees to do this on a regular basis as its much cheaper to use a garage.

That said, I do know two attorneys who park in front of their offices and have a secretary/runner feed the meter all day because they want to come and go more easily.

Also, some Wes Lane fans tried to complain to the meter maids when I would leave my Vote Out Wes Lane van parked in front of the courthouse all day long in the same spot. The meter maid agreed there was a time limit on the books, but that since they didn't enforce it on anyone else, they were not going to enforce it on me.

I'm thinking they see my quarter as stealing $15 from them when I feed an expired meter. I actually probably do it more now that i know the law - just out of spite. But, I'm sorta wired that way!

Kind of third grade-ish!!

Just the facts
12-21-2011, 07:36 PM
The part of Orlando this occurred in is not a tourist area. It is an area of mid-rise to high-rise condos and apartments on the east side of downtown. The problem is the homeless people hang out there 24/7 waiting for feeding time. They use the bathroom on the sidewalk, ask everyone for money, and create an unsafe environment for women and children in the area. In case no one noticed, many homeless people have drug issues and/or mental illness.

If this group wants to feed homeless people they should do it in front of their own homes, not in front of other people's homes. If you don't agree with that give me your address and I can change your mind in 72 hours.

BBatesokc
12-21-2011, 08:05 PM

We can't all be sheep.

MikeOKC
12-21-2011, 09:01 PM
In case no one noticed, many homeless people have drug issues and/or mental illness.

And what's really sad is the mentally ill can't help it. They're too sick (at that point) to even know how to reach out. And really, where do they go today? How do they pay for it? In the 1980's we completely shut down our mental institutions for the long-term mentally ill (mostly schizophrenia) and put them on the streets. To me, this is a sad commentary on our society in general. Other Western democracies have comprehensive programs to take care of these people. Of course, they're not spending billions of dollars on wars and the weapons of war. The result - and the presence of so many on the streets - should be a humbling reminder that we have a long way to go before we can tell others how to run their countries.

chuck johnson
12-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Agreed. That's not including the 100,000+ homeless vets.

Thunder
12-22-2011, 03:21 PM
There should never be a permit to give free food whatsoever. I just hope this goes viral and ashame Florida severely.

rcjunkie
12-22-2011, 03:35 PM
We can't all be sheep.

You sure mention sheep quite often, must be some type of secret fantasy!!

HewenttoJared
12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
The part of Orlando this occurred in is not a tourist area. It is an area of mid-rise to high-rise condos and apartments on the east side of downtown. The problem is the homeless people hang out there 24/7 waiting for feeding time. They use the bathroom on the sidewalk, ask everyone for money, and create an unsafe environment for women and children in the area. In case no one noticed, many homeless people have drug issues and/or mental illness.

If this group wants to feed homeless people they should do it in front of their own homes, not in front of other people's homes. If you don't agree with that give me your address and I can change your mind in 72 hours.

Perhaps we should encourage policy that reduces their numbers.

BBatesokc
12-22-2011, 06:17 PM
You sure mention sheep quite often, must be some type of secret fantasy!!

Stew
12-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Well you can never have too many laws.

Maynard
12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Well you can never have too many laws.

http://grrrgraphics.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/authority_man.jpg?w=640&h=457

mmonroe
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM

I still do it when I go down to the court house and Oklahoma Tower, but i'm kinda picky about it, lol. I don't feed the Mercedes or BMW meters... (hear comes the heat)

because those fines can be ridiculous.

I've gotten more than a few parking tickets.. it's only $10 if you pay within a few days, and $15 past that.

Just the facts
12-22-2011, 09:54 PM
There should never be a permit to give free food whatsoever. I just hope this goes viral and ashame Florida severely.

Actually it is the other way around. We had a Christmas party at the office today and we had a lot of food left over. I made a comment that soooo much food was going to waste and said we should go serve it on the street. I was informed that is illegal here in Philadelphia and for the exact same reason it is illegal in Florida. One of the things that struck me about Center City Philadelpia is the nearly complete lack of bums and homeless people on the street. According to the locals downtown Philly really improved when they stopped investing in the homeless.

chuck johnson
12-22-2011, 10:13 PM
I've gotten more than a few parking tickets.. it's only $10 if you pay within a few days, and $15 past that.

Well that's not too bad. In some cities it can be quite shocking. When I moved to SF, I got 5 different tickets in 5 days and promptly sold my car.

ljbab728
12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
According to the locals downtown Philly really improved when they stopped investing in the homeless.

So are you saying Philadelphia does nothing to help the homeless or did they just establish a ghetto compound outside of downtown where they are all confined?

Just the facts
12-22-2011, 10:37 PM
So are you saying Philadelphia does nothing to help the homeless or did they just establish a ghetto compound outside of downtown where they are all confined?

I don't know where they went - maybe Camden NJ. All I know is they are not in Center City Philadelphia. Apparently they had a homeless problem downtown, they closed down the homeless shelters/services, and the homeless went somewhere else.

I walk everywhere from Geno's Steaks on the southside to Eastern State Penitentiary on the northside and from the Deleware River to the Schuykill River and I rarely see a homeless person. I didn't even see bums in China Town or Italian Market and those places sell live animals in cages on the sidewalk for food.

ljbab728
12-22-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't know where they went - maybe Camden NJ. All I know is they are not in Center City Philadelphia. Apparently they had a homeless problem downtown, they closed down the homeless shelters/services, and the homeless went somewhere else.

I walk everywhere from Geno's Steaks on the southside to Eastern State Penitentiary on the northside and from the Deleware River to the Schuykill River and I rarely see a homeless person. I didn't even see bums in China Town or Italian Market and those places sell live animals in cages on the sidewalk for food.

I'm not saying that doesn't make it more pleasant in that area but the phrase "out of sight, out of mind" occurs to me.

Just the facts
12-23-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm not saying that doesn't make it more pleasant in that area but the phrase "out of sight, out of mind" occurs to me.

So what. Why should homeless people be on display? If nothing else it proves they follow the services so if that is the case then why not move them out of site. If they found other ways to get by in the absence of public funds then maybe public funds weren't needed in the first place. I am sure you can go to West Philly and find all the homeless people you want so you don't forget they are there.

Thunder
12-23-2011, 07:14 AM
I do agree that the bums should be guided out of the cities into country pastures. If we do that, we'll be seeing an uprising of mass livestock robberies and killings.

HewenttoJared
12-23-2011, 07:51 AM
There is a lot of fine, upstanding Christian commentary in this thread. Merry Christmas...

Roadhawg
12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

You say Florida should be ashamed but you just called the homeless bums.... am I mistaken or weren’t you homeless and living out of your truck not too long ago? http://www.sturgis.com/messageboard/images/smilies/shrug.gif

Roadhawg
12-23-2011, 10:33 AM
I do agree that the bums should be guided out of the cities into country pastures. If we do that, we'll be seeing an uprising of mass livestock robberies and killings.

I suggest we drive the idiots out the cities next :Smiley193

MDot
12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Lets send all the homeless to Arkansas.

RadicalModerate
12-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Why? There ain't nothin' in Arkansas 'ceptin' meth labs and tornadoes that cause thousands of dollars of improvements everytime they churn through . . .

Sorry . . .
Somehow I got lost when feeding "homeless bums" morphed into parking meters.

My bad.

Perhaps, for the sake of clarity, HWTJ could graph the comment at #28?
On the Y axis . . .
Or perhaps channel the spirit of Gandhi or B'Hai
(not counting The Prophet . . . No . . . not THAT The M---- Prophet, the other one.)

(Submitted . . . For your approval) . . .
Music by which to review this thread.
q_cQB_LQB8g

ljbab728
12-23-2011, 09:16 PM
So what. Why should homeless people be on display? If nothing else it proves they follow the services so if that is the case then why not move them out of site. If they found other ways to get by in the absence of public funds then maybe public funds weren't needed in the first place. I am sure you can go to West Philly and find all the homeless people you want so you don't forget they are there.

LOL, Kerry. You missed my point entirely. You had emplied before that Philly was no longer doing anything to help the homeless, therefore my statement about as long as they don't have to look at them they don't have to do anything to help them. I obviously did not mean they need to be on display on every block in the city and you know that.