View Full Version : Shock Collars

mranderson
04-13-2005, 08:29 AM
I posted this before, but now that we have the pets forum, I will again.

What do you think of shock collars? Personally, I think they are cruel. There are better ways to control your dog. Like... TEACHING!

Patrick
04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Like you, I also think shock collars are cruel. There are better ways to teach your dog, like with positive reinforcement.

Midtowner
04-13-2005, 02:52 PM
My parents use shock collars on their dogs. Otherwise, the dogs would dig out of the back yard where they're kept. When those dogs get out, they just run in whatever direction they're facing.

So we figure, they're better off getting a little shock than being hit by a car or taken to the pound.

Keith
04-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Like you, I also think shock collars are cruel. There are better ways to teach your dog, like with positive reinforcement.
I agree. If the owners feel they have to put one on a dog, maybe they should put one on themselves and see how it feels. It's inhumane.....there are better ways to teach a dog.

Midtowner
04-13-2005, 09:33 PM
I agree. If the owners feel they have to put one on a dog, maybe they should put one on themselves and see how it feels. It's inhumane.....there are better ways to teach a dog.

Really? How would you advise someone to keep dogs from digging out of a 2 acre back yard when they are not home?

-- how about if your neighbor insists on having a rotted wooden fence that the dogs can easily break off and break out?

How would you keep the dogs in the yard -- keep in mind that builing a new fence is a committment of a couple thousand dollars, and the current fence does not belong to you.