View Full Version : Cathy O'Connor

G.Walker
12-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Anyone else notice plans/blueprints in this pic on her desk, from Steve's article yesterday http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-economic-development-executive-stays-close-to-former-career-path/article/3632948? Looks like some type of housing. I wonder if this a new project we haven't heard about yet, or for a project already completed and these plans were just staged for the picture? Kinda looks like the Maywood Apartments proposed by Bradshaw. Steve?

http://photos3.newsok.com/cache/r620-ee8a58332b3cdcb29db6bc623b014bee.jpg

RadicalModerate
12-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Good eye, Mr. Walker . . . (While we are waiting on Steve)
But how about that eerie horse picture on the wall?

Skyline
12-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Does Mrs. O'Connor live in the suburbs or on a horse ranch? She states that her and her daughter breed horses as a hobby, and also has 3 dogs and 3 cats. The reason I am asking......

I have been observing how few (if any) of the downtown developers and planners, for Okc actually live in downtown Okc or at the very least in nearby downtown neighborhood. They most likely work in downtown, but it would be refreshing for someone that has so much power and control of downtown development to live and work in downtown Okc.

RadicalModerate
12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Does Mrs. O'Connor live in the suburbs or on a horse ranch? She states that her and her daughter breed horses as a hobby, and also has 3 dogs and 3 cats. The reason I am asking......

I have been observing how few (if any) of the downtown developers and planners, for Okc actually live in downtown Okc or at the very least in nearby downtown neighborhood. They most likely work in downtown, but it would be refreshing for someone that has so much power and control of downtown development to liveand work in downtown Okc.

Skyline: Excellent Point.

Yet (jokingly): Perhaps the mysterious picture on the wall is simply a rough visualization of how and why "Toby Keith's Project" (the one that many of "The Urbanists/a.k.a. our urbanist architectural friends" found less than satisfactory . . . even if they, personally, weren't child cancer patients or the families thereof . . . and even if living/existing in a corporial virtual state a thousand miles away) . . . got approved. =)

In any case:
Oklahoma is OK.
Oklahoma City is Getting Even Better.

IMHO.

LakeEffect
12-19-2011, 11:53 AM

I have been observing how few (if any) of the downtown developers and planners, for Okc actually live in downtown Okc or at the very least in nearby downtown neighborhood. They most likely work in downtown, but it would be refreshing for someone that has so much power and control of downtown development to live and work in downtown Okc.

She lives in Heritage Hills (a couple blocks east of me)...

Bailey80
12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Anyone else notice plans/blueprints in this pic on her desk, from Steve's article yesterday http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-economic-development-executive-stays-close-to-former-career-path/article/3632948? Looks like some type of housing. I wonder if this a new project we haven't heard about yet, or for a project already completed and these plans were just staged for the picture? Kinda looks like the Maywood Apartments proposed by Bradshaw. Steve?

http://photos3.newsok.com/cache/r620-ee8a58332b3cdcb29db6bc623b014bee.jpg

Looks to me like drawings of the Edge at Midtown that Gary Brooks handed out at the last Urban Renewal Authority meeting.

Steve
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's The Edge. Cathy, by the way, is about as strong an advocate for downtown and the central city as one can hope for. Not sure living downtown is what decides whether or not someone is qualified or able to best represent downtown's interests. I myself, due to family matters, wife's job location, and situation with schools, live in north Oklahoma City. I'm sure this will shock all of you and cause you to quit reading my stories altogether. Or maybe not.

RadicalModerate
12-19-2011, 01:53 PM
You Go Girl!
(and i mean that in the strictest--"opposite/other gender-based" sense of not yielding to semi-misinformed public opinion regarding downtown development and going with your heart of hearts knowing the difference between right and wrong especially in this holiday season.)

Thank you, Steve.
For confirming my take on The Photo/Commentary.
The New! Improved!! Oklahoman needs more folks like you.

I only apologize for the use of the offensive term, girl, in this context.
(yet, i am confident that my wife would agree . . . =)

kevinpate
12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
... Not sure living downtown is what decides whether or not someone is qualified or able to best represent downtown's interests. ...

Not sure it's even a top 50 factor, but it certainly shouldn't make anyone's top 10 list of factors.

RadicalModerate
12-19-2011, 02:48 PM
7 to 5 she's a winner.
The overseer, not the project.

Skyline
12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
..........Not sure living downtown is what decides whether or not someone is qualified or able to best represent downtown's interests........

^^ It certainly couldn't hurt.

I am really surprised that you feel that way?

Steve
12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
The comment I was reading seemed (to me) to indicate that if Cathy didn't live in the central city (which she does), she might be less of an advocate of downtown's interests. I've always seen downtown as being the heart of our city - the one neighborhood to be shared and nurtured by all residents.

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Would you prefer that the person who designs your car actually have experience driving a car vs just riding in the passengers seat. I think people's views on urban development would chnage if they lived in an urban environment 24/7. Things that sound and function great 9AM to 5PM don't function so great after 8PM. The convention center, corporate plazas, and train horns come to mind.

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 09:12 AM
The comment I was reading seemed (to me) to indicate that if Cathy didn't live in the central city (which she does), she might be less of an advocate of downtown's interests. I've always seen downtown as being the heart of our city - the one neighborhood to be shared and nurtured by all residents.

It is funny you say that. A while back I was taking some pictures in downtown Jax and was talking with the doorman at the Florida Theater. He lives downtown. I asked him what his personal views of downtown were. Specifically I wanted to know if he viewed downtown different because he lived in it 24/7 vs me who visits on special occasions. Naturally he does view it different because it is his home. He is less interested in the 9 to 5 stuff and more interested in what makes the city livable after 6PM and on weekends. The office workers only care about parking garages and wide streets to get them onto the freeway as fast as possible. He was interested in narrow streets that he can cross safely to get to dinner. Take our own Laurie at the IRS. She has a hard enough time dealing with downtown 9 to 5. Imagine if she had to deal with P180 construction 24/7. You think she is upset about it now.

Skyline
12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Would you prefer that the person who designs your car actually have experience driving a car vs just riding in the passengers seat. I think people's views on urban development would chnage if they lived in an urban environment 24/7. Things that sound and function great 9AM to 5PM don't function so great after 8PM. The convention center, corporate plazas, and train horns come to mind.

^^ Exactly, I am not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

It is good to know that she lives in a downtown neighborhood, and I do think that it makes her more of an advocate for downtown development.

Next I would like to find out where the City officials live that "shelved" the railway quiet zone?

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Next I would like to find out where the City officials live that "shelved" the railway quiet zone?

This is why cars can't crank up the bass but train horns can blow all night long as loud as they can.

Spartan
12-30-2011, 12:07 PM
^^ Exactly, I am not sure why anyone would argue otherwise.

It is good to know that she lives in a downtown neighborhood, and I do think that it makes her more of an advocate for downtown development.

Well, it's no conspiracy. No mal-intent, as far as I see it. It's just as simple as the city doesn't care, doesn't have the time to deal with it, doesn't understand how vital it is, is too distracted to worry about that area of downtown, and there isn't anyone within the city advocating for the project.

Skyline
12-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Spartan, ...Do you think that this has anything to do with the Bomasada Group being from out of state?

I ask because I can not think of an out-of-state developer that has had a recent project in downtown Okc.

Just the facts
12-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Spartan, ...Do you think that this has anything to do with the Bomasada Group being from out of state?

I ask because I can not think of an out-of-state developer that has had a recent project in downtown Okc.

I wouldn't think so. The City and Chamber activey seek out-of-state companies to relocate downtown. I don't think it matters who the developer was, the City never seemed interested in the project. Now granted, there are people in OKC that could make this happen in a heartbeat if they were so inclined. We will see what Sandridge comes up with. If they try to build housing on their Broadway lots we will see how fast a quite zone gets created.