12-14-2011, 07:48 PM
nice video!

Reno and Walker
12-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Erick Alexander is a friend of mine .. Hope OKC does more of this.. Gr
eat Job!!!

okcpulse
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Can't see the video. On iPad or Windows 7 Phone. Is there a link?

mcca7596
12-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Can't see the video. On iPad or Windows 7 Phone. Is there a link?

Sorry, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg58Yt-zMyk

metro
12-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Yeah for some reason embedded videos never show on mobile devices. Anyhow, awesome video but horrible music, definitely not geared towards the creative class we are trying to attract. It would be a great video for attracting families though.

krisb
12-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Yikes. Most cities don't need to write songs about themselves in order to impress people.

Snowman
12-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Where do they have this played? I am guessing some sort of conference.

mcca7596
12-15-2011, 12:04 AM
It was on the "facebook page" of Mayor Cornett, and yes, it said it was debuted at the Chamber's annual meeting on the 8th.

ljbab728
12-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Yikes. Most cities don't need to write songs about themselves in order to impress people.

You have to be kidding or just don't know what you're talking about. Cities everywhere produce videos with music included to promote themselves. I'm not saying this was the best video ever but it's not the worst either.

Architect2010
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
It's definitely not good.

SkyWestOKC
12-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Meh. Not a country fan.

BDP
12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
It's not bad. Not my taste, but not horrible. I thought showing Sunflower and Whole Foods was kind of an odd choice, but I think sometimes we think things are bigger deals than others do.

Steve
12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Not a fan of the video. It's another example of lazy "b-roll" use.

dankrutka
12-15-2011, 02:06 PM
It's not bad. Not my taste, but not horrible. I thought showing Sunflower and Whole Foods was kind of an odd choice, but I think sometimes we think things are bigger deals than others do.

Yeah. It depends who this is directed towards. If it is for people in OKC then it's good to show those things, but if it is for a broader audience then a grocery store will not come across as impressive. In fact, people would probably wonder why there's a grocery store in the video???

OKCisOK4me
12-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I really don't want to watch the video cause so far, the jist of the conversation is leading me to believe it's about as bad as Cowboys 4Ever, where the prairie wind touches your skin...SMH.

mcca7596
12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I really don't want to watch the video cause so far, the jist of the conversation is leading me to believe it's about as bad as Cowboys 4Ever, where the prairie wind touches your skin...SMH.

Nah, not that bad. LOL

krisb
12-15-2011, 10:05 PM
You have to be kidding or just don't know what you're talking about. Cities everywhere produce videos with music included to promote themselves. I'm not saying this was the best video ever but it's not the worst either.

Of course they produce videos with music. This song, however, was clearly written for the video and even mentions "Oklahoma City" by name. Now that's kind of lame.

ljbab728
12-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Of course they produce videos with music. This song, however, was clearly written for the video and even mentions "Oklahoma City" by name. Now that's kind of lame.

IC. So if you see a video promoting NYC that was written for the video and mentions NYC by name that makes it lame? I just don't understand that logic. I agree with others that this isn't a great video but not for that reason.

krisb
12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
IC. So if you see a video promoting NYC that was written for the video and mentions NYC by name that makes it lame? I just don't understand that logic. I agree with others that this isn't a great video but not for that reason.

Touche. The main point I am making is it's a lame song and a lame video. The "Oklahoma City" part at the end only made it worse. Frank Sinatra and others can pull off a song about New York...Oklahoma City not so much.

bombermwc
12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
yeah can't say i thought it was very good either...it's as much a music video for the singers as it is for okc. Plus they keep reusing footage from years ago...way to keep current. The last round of videos was WAAAY better.

Doug Loudenback
12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I liked it well enough, maybe even better than that.

Reno and Walker
12-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Okay anytime i tell my Mother -in -law her food is pretty good I get in trouble, because she replies whats wrong with it.. So saying our city had a pretty good year may seem a bit cheezy..

Why not say we had a real Kicken A Year !!!! I am biased these 2 are friends of mine.. I will tell them to check out you alls comments,.. They probably know its a bit cheezy, but its a paying gig..

metro
12-16-2011, 06:59 PM
But sloppy work and just good enough doesn't get repeat business......

CurtisJ
12-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Never mention that song again, please, for the love of god...

Celebrator
12-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Not too bad, but what really bugged me was the studio footage of the singers...not necessary and drove the cheese factor way up. I liked the lyrics though, good positive message. Love the pride and effort of our citizens and our Chamber.

Reno and Walker
12-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I hope OKC does a lot more of this kind of stuff.. Most of the haters on this forum don't even live in Oklahoma or even this country.. Heck one poster is living in China lol..

Doug Loudenback
12-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Like the video or not, whatever the chamber is doing seems to be working good PR results. See http://www.prweekus.com/oklahoma-city-gets-reputation-boost/article/220454/

Oklahoma City gets reputation boost
Client: Greater Oklahoma City Chamber (Oklahoma City, OK)

Campaign Name: Oklahoma City Image Campaign

Duration: March 28 – October 30

Budget: $270,000

Every two years, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber commissions a national benchmark perception survey. In 2010, only 26% ranked Oklahoma City as an 8, 9, or 10 as a place to live or do business.

Strategy: The chamber focused PR efforts on increasing that percentage by August 2011 post-testing using through print and online efforts to engage companies looking to expand business and Oklahoma City citizens to spread a positive message about what it has to offer.

Tactics: The chamber focused on the West Coast due to its rising cost of business. “We felt they might be more open to our message,” says Cynthia Reid, vice president of marketing and communications at the chamber. Bi-weekly ads ran in business outlets such as Chief Executive Magazine, CEO.com, and the West Coast edition of the Wall Street Journal, each focusing on a single business advantage or quality-of-life factor in Oklahoma City.

The chamber launched http://www.greaterokc.tv, a video-driven website containing promotional content regarding aspects of the city that scored negatively in the survey, such as nightlife, business and job climate, quality of life, and education. The chamber also launched VeloCity, a digital magazine updated twice a year with in-depth city highlights. Reid, chamber president Roy Williams, and the city's Mayor Mick Cornett gave nearly 30 speeches in a three-month period to promote the online tools.

Results: By October 30, the website and VeloCity had received nearly 15,000 visitors combined. Post-test results showed that of those who had seen the campaign, the percentage ranking Oklahoma City as an 8, 9 or 10 increased from 26 percent to 52 percent.

Future: “We're working on a 30-second commercial to drive people to VeloCity and to the channel,” explains Reid. That spot will be aired locally throughout 2012. “We could very likely be back at this next year with a different twist.”

Here's another video posted at the VeloCity site, pretty cool ... I couldn't figure out how to embed it here but it's worth a look ...

http://www.greaterokc.tv/#/home/VideoModule/29108

Double Edge
12-26-2011, 08:45 PM
I just caught this on TeeVee...Nice production!

Hg58Yt-zMyk

ljbab728
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM
That's been discussed by a number of posters here.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=28056&page=1

And not everyone agrees with you.

dmoor82
12-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I think it's OK,but kinda cheesy!

Double Edge
12-26-2011, 09:26 PM
That's been discussed by a number of posters here.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=28056&page=1

And not everyone agrees with you.

Of course they don't and some will probably attack me personally for liking it. What else is new!

I think it's OK,but kinda cheesy!

Yep. Plenty of cheese factor.

RadicalModerate
12-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Since some folks don't like "Country" music, how about this?

Just digitally dub "In O-K-C" . . .
and run the song over the original video footage.
xduUsgJldpI

Or, to keep the "cheese" factor up there . . .
Just start it off with . . . "In O-K-C"
And then substitute O-K-C for amore . . .
(same video footage)
1AieUk2AH4w

mcca7596
12-30-2011, 01:18 AM
http://www.nba.com/thunder/video/2011/12/29/thiscitymov-1948504

This video is how a cool promo of a city is done! (IMO)

Skyline
12-30-2011, 08:02 AM

That Thunder video is not bad, I do like it better than the new Okc chamber video.

After seeing the recent Nike commercials "Basketball Never Stops" featuring Kevin Durant and Okc, I mentioned that the Nike marketing department should be hired for an exclusive Okc ad campaign.

I'm serious too, nobody does more consistently cool advertising / marketing than Nike.

BDP
12-30-2011, 10:04 AM

Now that is the opposite of lazy b-roll. Still not a fan of the music, but some of those shots are from less than 10 days ago and it stays on point the whole way.

Midtowner
12-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Not a fan of the video. It's another example of lazy "b-roll" use.

Your just mad 'cuz they raided your lazy b-roll library.

:-)

Reno and Walker
01-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Exactly !!! Thunder all the way to the championship !!!!

GaryS
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM
The truth is that the Chamber video is an excellent one. I think some don't like it because it is tied to the Chamber. Love them or hate the, the Chmber is a vital part of our exciting growth, which by the way is the talk of the nation. Maybe some of you need to visit some of the depressed areas of the country for a while so that you can appreciate OKC. How about Califorina or Michigan? Companies there are looking to move to OKC. I also suggest that if someone can make a better video then they should do it. I would be on board with that.

metro
01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
GaryS, no its decent, but we don't like it considering there is far better talent right here in OKC, they used outdated B-roll (no Devon Tower in the old Broll), and e song is hokey.

ljbab728
01-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I agree metro. This is not a knock on the Chamber at all. They do a tremendous job. It also has nothing to do with appreciating OKC. It's just not a top notch song or video. It's not terrible but the Chamber has had much better ones in the past.

Spartan
01-15-2012, 12:26 AM
It's basically a country music jingle that they played over some stock imagery, some of which doesn't even exist anymore (it also commits the lazy error of showing Myriad Gardens before/after without any context or explanation). I think you guys are being pretty positive to suggest this is even b-roll material.

People aren't looking for cities that represent themselves with country music jingles. People are looking for cities that are vibrant and cutting-edge. More importantly people are looking for urban centers that are unique and have character. Every dealership or furniture store across America uses the monotonous commercial jingle in its ads; I can't believe that some supposed PR/ED professionals were paid a lot of money by OKC tax payers to develop that crap.

Also, this isn't the Chamber, which I agree does do a tremendous job. This is the CVB, which while connected (CVB gets tax dollars, Chamber most certainly does not), most everyone in OKC would agree just scrapes the bottom of the barrel. I remember volunteering as a kid on several of the CVB's projects just because they needed manpower so badly. Yet let's also not forget that there must be someone (Mike Carrier perhaps) who sees value in promulgating the hick image. They are so dead-set convinced that they will turn our biggest negative into a positive that they have totally lost sight in the emerging reality that OKC actually can now sell itself as cutting-edge instead.

We don't have to keep up this hokie malarkey like we used to, for lack of any better schtick to go off of. OKC should be able to sell itself as cutting-edge right now, because it is (or on the surface, at least).

Doodle65
01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I personally think the video was done in a very professional manner, it is kinda nice to be reminded of all the nice things our city has to offer, while showing how we have overcome some great tragedies.
I have posted the video on my facebook so all my friends and family out of state can see because I was really proud of what our city has accomplished, there is nothing "hick" about it .
After hearing the song several times, it really is a catchy tune and it does make you look up, which is why I think it was done the way it was.
My husband doesn't like country type music at all but he really does like this tune and it is more because the video and what it represents and not the type of music it is.
I don't know if I would have liked it at all if it we're done in a different genre. the words makes it stand out. Sorry but that is how I feel.
As far as the tax dollars goes, it would have been spent on something else anyway at least we can all the places our money has went towards.

edcrunk
01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
The truth is that the Chamber video is an excellent one. I think some don't like it because it is tied to the Chamber. Love them or hate the, the Chmber is a vital part of our exciting growth, which by the way is the talk of the nation. Maybe some of you need to visit some of the depressed areas of the country for a while so that you can appreciate OKC. How about Califorina or Michigan? Companies there are looking to move to OKC. I also suggest that if someone can make a better video then they should do it. I would be on board with that.

It was a dissapointing video. Not even close to the previous videos put out.

Jchaser405
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
So does anyone have an example of a city who made a promo video the "right" way?

edcrunk
01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEyrIgKAnHU