View Full Version : Red's Diner (Closed)

FFLady
12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
OK gang - you will have to try this place. They have been open about a week now, and the food, atmosphere & concept is quite impressive!!! It seems everyone walks out with a take-out box. You order from the menu on the wall, which consists of fried chicken, bar-b-q chicken, chicken tenders, chicken fried steak, pot roast, potpie. With your choice of that, you get salad, biscuts, mashed potatoes, gravy, fried okra and the best tasting creammed corn.....$11.99 and children eat for $5.99. Try it for yourself!!!! I think this one just might make it there, in the old Poblano's spot.....

potsy
12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
so where's this place?

BrettM2
12-12-2011, 10:14 AM
so where's this place?

I think the SE corner of Danforth and Kelly in the same plaza as Rookies by Twid's and Goldie's.

potsy
12-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice. Did a quick internet search and found this. http://www.edmondsun.com/features/x1612759749/Red-s-Southern-Diner-brings-home-cooking-to-Edmond.

Looks interesting. Will definitely be checking it out soon.

Pete
12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
http://redssoutherndiner.com/

traemac
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
sounds almost like a knock off of babe's chicken in texas

Debzkidz
12-14-2011, 07:02 AM
We tried it, and it was really good. I had the pot roast and hubby had chicken fried steak. The salad and sides are served family style, and there is more food than you can imagine. I only wish they gave you some choice of sides. If you don't like corn, okra or potatoes your out of luck. Our server didn't mention that it came with salad, so we were happy when it arrived at the table, but I don't know if there is an option of dressings or not. It came with an Italian, oil and vinegar type dressing. I liked it but hubby wasn't too happy with it. He's not a fan of this type of dressing. All in all, it was really good, and we ate way too much food to be able to complete our mission for the rest of the evening, Christmas shopping! We will definitely go back.

ImTheDude
12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Is the chicken fried steak hand made or frozen?

FFLady
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Dude - it is hand made & BIG. Next time we go we will order 1 CFS, and 1 of something else. We would be able to half it up....

ImTheDude
12-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks, a frozen chicken fried is a deal breaker.

sacolton
12-25-2011, 06:23 AM
My girlfriend and I have been there twice and we love it! The endless side servings is a big plus for any family. Everything is delicious and fresh. We tried the chicken fried steak, fried catfish, BBQ smoked chicken and chicken tenders. Next time I'm going to try the potpie. Excellent service! We ended up taking 3 boxes of leftovers home!

Frustratedoptimist
01-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Tried it last week. Loved the atmosphere. We liked the sides but the fried chicken was way too salty and greasy. May try the catfish or tenders next time.

EdmondBrad
01-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Like it. Like the chicken. Love the bread pudding. One of the best dessert's I've every had.

bucktalk
01-17-2012, 06:04 PM
On my 1-10 scale rating, this is what score I give Red's:
1. Decor: 9.75 /very, very clever, homey and comfortable.
2. Service: 9.50 / perfect amount of connecting with the customers but not pushy.
3. Food: 8.95 / over all very good but nothing extremely exciting but still quite tasty.

AFwife04
02-11-2012, 07:25 AM
We went there for dinner last night and probably won't go back. The atmosphere was great and the service was too, but all in all the food was not. It was so salty and I really did not care for their house Italian dressing. However, the biscuits were pretty good. They were light and not too heavy.

progressiveboy
02-11-2012, 11:37 AM
We went there for dinner last night and probably won't go back. The atmosphere was great and the service was too, but all in all the food was not. It was so salty and I really did not care for their house Italian dressing. However, the biscuits were pretty good. They were light and not too heavy. Did you notify management about the saltiness of the food? You have every right to complain, however, you should also consider to bring up this issue to the attention of management. Apathy and complacency does not solve the problem.

catch22
02-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Having used to work in a restaurant for a long time, any good manager or owner would want to know when their product and/or service is not up to par. They don't eat the food all night long, you are their eyes and ears. They usually taste a sample of some of the items before opening to make sure recipes and mixes are correct but don't know after that. Tell them, most will be happy you did. You don't have to complain, or try to get a comp. Just be honest with them and they will either value your input or not...

Scotty22
02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
My parents and I decided to try this a couple of weeks ago and we thought it was some of the worst food I ever had. The concept and the decorations in there are fantastic, very unique. The service of the staff and the managers was top notch they were all very pleasant and wanted to make sure we were enjoying ourselves but we certainly won't be going back anytime soon.

I left them some feedback but basically the fried chicken had no taste at all, wasn't even cooked properly, the chicken strips had no flavor, the mashed potatoes were all right but were some of the saltiest things I've ever had. I might try it again one day but it won't be anytime soon.

I truly was shocked how poor it was considering most people seem to love it.

AFwife04
02-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Did you notify management about the saltiness of the food? You have every right to complain, however, you should also consider to bring up this issue to the attention of management. Apathy and complacency does not solve the problem.

I did not and honestly if I did, I still wouldn't go back. There are better restaurants out there. I hardly think I'm being apathetic and complacent by choosing not to go back to a restaurant where I didn't like the food.

Pete
02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Most astute restaurant operators pay attention to the Internet, so sharing an experience here IS providing feedback.

I just googled "Red's Diner" and this thread was the 9th thing listed and the first about the Edmond restaurant.

Tapp Development
02-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone has eaten here. If so how was it?

We also found them on Facebook and Twitter.

Facebook: Red's Southern Diner (http://www.facebook.com/redssoutherndiner)

Twitter: @reds_diner (https://twitter.com/#!/Reds_Diner)

Larry OKC
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
We are talking about the same place, right? Read the posts above yours???

Pete
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Larry, that last post was merged from another thread.

metro
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
OK gang - you will have to try this place. They have been open about a week now, and the food, atmosphere & concept is quite impressive!!! It seems everyone walks out with a take-out box. You order from the menu on the wall, which consists of fried chicken, bar-b-q chicken, chicken tenders, chicken fried steak, pot roast, potpie. With your choice of that, you get salad, biscuts, mashed potatoes, gravy, fried okra and the best tasting creammed corn.....$11.99 and children eat for $5.99. Try it for yourself!!!! I think this one just might make it there, in the old Poblano's spot.....
What's so impressive with this concept again? Based on what you said, it sounds like every other place in Oklahoma....fried chicken, chicken tenders, BBQ, etc........

metro
03-01-2012, 11:21 AM
http://redssoutherndiner.com/

Wow, menu still isn't on their "website". I ne'er get businesses that think a placeholder page is good enough. A website should be completed BEFORE you open. This isn't 2000.

kevinpate
03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
While it's true one won't find even a smidgen of truffle butter in a biscuit or the creamed corn, there really aren't all that many places serving up their grub at the table family style, inexpensive or otherwise.

I catch myself wishing it was on the south side as I rarely even cross 23rd street when I roll into the city these days, let alone go on up anywhere north of I-44.

kevinpate
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
... A website should be completed BEFORE you open. ...

Can't argue with that point. Placeholder pages and auto-start music or videos are pet peeves of mine.

FritterGirl
03-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I gotta say I have also tried it, and probably won't be going back, at least not unless I'm with a big group.

I walked in solo, as I tend to do my new restaurant exploring on Saturdays when I'm out running errands, especially when the weather is nice and Mr. Fritter is out on the motorcycle. They looked at me like I was a pariah and weren't quite sure what to do with me. "Just one?" they asked, when I had already told them that I would be dining alone.

Once I saw the "menu," I understood why. It's certainly not a place for solo diners, although I did have a nice supply of leftovers to take home with me.

The chicken was okay, not great, but certainly not the worst I've had. The mashed potatoes were very buttery and rich, quite tasty. The creamed corn, which was closer to corn pudding to me, was GREAT. I will add in that I love corn pudding so any dish like this is win in my book. It might have had a touch too much sugar for my taste, but was very good.

That said, it is definitely a place for a "family." The serving I had as a solo diner could easily have served three people so people who go looking for a lot of food will certainly have no complaints.

FFLady
03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
What's so impressive with this concept again? Based on what you said, it sounds like every other place in Oklahoma....fried chicken, chicken tenders, BBQ, etc........

Why not check it out yourself? I like the family style setting....and the food was quite tasty!

Ginkasa
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM
My wife and I had it last night (I'm actually eating some leftovers from it right now). It was alright. The food was good, but nothing particularly fantastic. You definitely get a lot of it though (and my wife also loves their cream corn). We probably won't go very often since we hardly ever get that far north, but if it were closer to where we live I definitely imagine we would go every once in a while.

metro
03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Why not check it out yourself? I like the family style setting....and the food was quite tasty!

I would but it doesn't sound impressive based on the concept you described, as well as the reviews. Definitely doesn't sound worth driving to Edmond for, as Edmond has only2-3 that are worth the drive. Are you the owner?

FFLady
03-02-2012, 11:31 AM
No, Metro, I isn't the owner....did I plug the place that hard? LOL

TheTravellers
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Can't argue with that point. Placeholder pages and auto-start music or videos are pet peeves of mine.

You're lucky they have a website at all, I'm (slightly) amazed at how many businesses in OKC have absolutely no web presence whatsoever...

Larry OKC
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Larry, that last post was merged from another thread.

Ooooops, my bad.....my apologies

Corndog1
03-03-2012, 09:20 PM
It is certainly a knock off of Babe's, but since we dont have a Babe's here it works. Not as good, but not bad at all. Hard to find is the biggest issue I found, not much signage. You better be familiar and know where your going, you wont end up there by accident thats for sure. Food is plentiful and unlike Babe's they let you take home leftovers, honestly our waitress offered to refill all our sides for us to take with us. Said no, but it didnt seem right to take all that home. Hate for them to go broke due to giving stuff away. Good luck to them, I enjoyed the service and the meal itself. Still heading to Kendells in Noble for the best chicken fry though.

Debzkidz
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
We had take out from there tonight. Huge amount of food. I tried the fried chicken this time. Very, very salty. It was good, but just a bit too salty. Another family member had chicken fried steak. It completely covered a dinner plate. He really liked it. It's not the kind of food I would eat very often, but its good once in a while.

FFLady
04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
I came back to this thread, just to check Red's opening date. Drove by it this weekend, and they are out of business....

BlackmoreRulz
04-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Yea, I noticed they were closing a couple of months ago.....nobody seems to miss it.

Stew
04-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I ate there once. It wasn't very delicious.

Debzkidz
04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah we had a Groupon for Reds that was expiring in either Jan or early Feb. we went and used it just before it expired. Then I drove by a couple of weeks later a d it was gone.

rlewis
04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Red's is going to be replaced by a Bricktown Brewery. I believe the owners of the now-closed Red's are involved.

Debzkidz
04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
That's interesting.

Plutonic Panda
04-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Wow, the first time we ate there it was very good, the second and third it wasn't all that great. They seemed to alway have good business so that's strange that they would close. I looked over the other day and almost rear ended someone because my eyed wandered over to that general direction and for a second it looked like they closed and I noticed their signs and everything were still up. That's really a shame though. It had a nice atmosphere and was unique to me.

It seems that some cool concepts just aren't working, like when the garage took out that old put-put course which was incredibly stupid imo.

BTW, are they really making this into a Bricktown Brewery?

FFLady
04-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Ditto Panda - the first time we ate there (see my first post) it was really good. Then a couple of months ago it really wasn't...wonder if it just went downhill....?

Plutonic Panda
04-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah, really the only thing I could think of is maybe staff problems. I was just there not too long ago, I think Feb., but I read on their Facebook page people were saying it closed in Jan. so that weird, but I swear I was there in Feb. and it was packed.

rlewis
04-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Wow, the first time we ate there it was very good, the second and third it wasn't all that great. They seemed to alway have good business so that's strange that they would close. I looked over the other day and almost rear ended someone because my eyed wandered over to that general direction and for a second it looked like they closed and I noticed their signs and everything were still up. That's really a shame though. It had a nice atmosphere and was unique to me.

It seems that some cool concepts just aren't working, like when the garage took out that old put-put course which was incredibly stupid imo.

BTW, are they really making this into a Bricktown Brewery?

I can't go into details, but it came from an extremely reliable source. You can take this one to the bank.

BlackmoreRulz
04-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Never understood why the Pablano Grill that occupied that space left. The place was packed every day, then when Mama Veca's, and this place took over, they have had minimal crowds. I did notice that the Garfield's that was a few doors down. will now be a Monterrey Jack's soon.

Dubya61
04-29-2013, 01:57 PM
According to Garfield's Restaurant website, the only location left in Oklahoma is in Bartlesville.

Larry OKC
04-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Never understood why the Pablano Grill that occupied that space left. The place was packed every day, then when Mama Veca's, and this place took over, they have had minimal crowds. I did notice that the Garfield's that was a few doors down. will now be a Monterrey Jack's soon.

Where...that was one of my Mom's favorite mexican places?