View Full Version : Nino's (closed)

sharpshooter
12-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Just went by Nino's on S. Western and noticed they're closed with a sign on the door that says (paraphrasing) " Closed - Thank You to all our customers that have supported us over the years." At one time that was great place to eat Mexican food. Must admit things there have changed over the years. Guess now they're gone for good.

OKCDrummer77
12-11-2011, 01:43 PM
I noticed that the location on NW Expressway was empty on Friday night.

oneforone
12-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Nino retired and sold the restaurants a few years back and a corporate operation took over. Nino leaving probably the reason why they went under.

Skyline
12-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Good riddance!

MrZ
12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Sad to see them go but has been years since I went in there. Used to go 2-3 times a month about 15 years or so and enjoyed it back then. We went in one time and Leslie Nielsen (Airplane!. Naked Gun) was there eating. Kinda an oddball thing to see but someone on the staff said he ate there whenever he was in town to golf.

SoonerDave
12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
I know several better offerings have opened up near the Nino's on S. Western, a few chain, a few local, and Nino's never did much for me in the grand scheme of Mex. restaurants. Went there few times, always expected to see creatures crawling out of the floor. Never seemed clean, didn't go back. Can't say I'm surprised they're closed. Sure makes me glad I never bought any of those Restuarant.com gift certs :)

kevinpate
12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
...Sure makes me glad I never bought any of those Restuarant.com gift certs :)

Nah, that ought never be a worry. You just contact them, tell 'em the place has closed. They will clear clear the dead certificates off the que for you. Then they give you equal value in new certificates to use to purchase for other places.

Been there, done that ... more than once. Issue is always resolved with a nice email apology and new gift certificates.

SoonerDave
12-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Nah, that ought never be a worry. You just contact them, tell 'em the place has closed. They will clear clear the dead certificates off the que for you. Then they give you equal value in new certificates to use to purchase for other places.

Been there, done that ... more than once. Issue is always resolved with a nice email apology and new gift certificates.

That's cool to know, but their selection has just gotten so bad I barely even bother to visit - esp with many of the purchase requirements upped to $50, weekends excluded, mandatory 18% gratuities, etc. The places I frequented and had bought certs for in the past are no longer available, so I've just kinda moved on.

Thanks for the info, though.

yukong
12-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Noticed today that the Nino's on NW Expressway is being remodeled and will soon become a Chelino's. I would assume that they will close the one at NW Expressway and Council. Not sure when it will be open, but it looks close.

Larry OKC
01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
All of the Ninos have been closed for a while now. Have to love it when they didnt bother to take down their message board telling you to check out their new menu etc.

bille
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Some great history and connections most people aren't aware of in this article.

Patriotism: A dish best served forward | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/patriotism-a-dish-best-served-forward/article/3689602)

Roger S
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Some great history and connections most people aren't aware of in this article.

Nino was one of our customers when I mowed yards with my dad as a kid and I later drove his tortilla delivery truck while I was attending college.

Chelino was the manager of the Nino's on NW Expressway then. Kind of appropriate that Chelino has now bought the location where he got his start as a manager.

MonkeesFan
01-09-2013, 04:54 PM
From what I remember, I thought Nino's was good, it is a shame to see it gone

Roger S
01-10-2013, 11:04 AM
I never ate there after the Monterey Jack's people bought it from Nino but when I worked there in the late 80's and early 90's there was usually a line waiting to get in the one on Western.

That was also back when the complementary cheese jelly was still made with real cheese and not the mystery coagulants in use today.