View Full Version : Computer Question

Roadhawg
12-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Somehow my laptop started making a click whenever I hit a letter or any other key and it's driving me nuts, short trip. Anybody know how to shut that off?

Just the facts
12-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Somehow my laptop started making a click whenever I hit a letter or any other key and it's driving me nuts, short trip. Anybody know how to shut that off?

Does the sound go away when you turn the volume down?

Doing a quick google search, it appears if it still makes a sound with the volume down it is a motherboard problem. Not to bad to fix if it is a desktop, a laptop will cost you some Benjamins. I just had my laptop motherboard replaced today (3 months out of warranty) and it was $270. Not bad I guess considering a new laptop equal to what I have would still cost north of $800.

Roadhawg
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
yes

Just the facts
12-09-2011, 08:48 PM
If it goes away with volume down that is good news. What operating system are you running?

see below.

Just the facts
12-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Try holding down the right shift key for 8 seconds until you hear a laser sound. No joke. I was able to reproduce the sound you are hearing. It appears "Filter Keys" got turned on. Holding down the right shift key for 8 seconds turns them off.

Thunder
12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Praise the Lord for I am to be deaf (for some things)!

It looks like ya got it solved. Guess u don't need my special *free* services. :-)

Roadhawg
12-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Try holding down the right shift key for 8 seconds until you hear a laser sound. No joke. I was able to reproduce the sound you are hearing. It appears "Filter Keys" got turned on. Holding down the right shift key for 8 seconds turns them off.

That was it !!!! darn dog must have put his front paws on my desk again looking around. Thanks :)

Larry OKC
12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Some folks find the sound made by an old school typewriter to be comforting rather than the often silent keyboards of today.

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Some folks find the sound made by an old school typewriter to be comforting rather than the often silent keyboards of today.

And I bet those folks are still trying to figure out where that damned phone cord plugs into their typewriter so they can get the internets on 'er!

Larry OKC
12-10-2011, 10:40 AM
I am one of those in transition...I like to have some audible feedback when keyboarding...really dont care for the touch screen/silent types at all, but on the other hand, not a fan of the full blow typewriter sound effect either. I do recall havin gthe modem cradle where you had to place the handset for that stuff...thnk I have the one we used at McDonald's somewhere in my parents garage. LOL

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Like in Wargames?

BB37
12-10-2011, 01:22 PM
"would - you - like - to - play - a - game - ?"

Larry OKC
12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Like in Wargames?

Hmmm, havent seen that movie in a while but quite possibly...looked something like this (but not a separate unit, attached to the keyboard).