View Full Version : New Thunder Practice Facility

Pages : [1] 2

jbrown84
10-11-2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.newsok.com/thunder-selects-site-for-practice-facility/article/3310011?custom_click=headlines_widget

Thunder selects site for practice facility
BY MIKE BALDWIN
Published: October 11, 2008

The Oklahoma City Thunder has selected an eight-acre tract of land in north Oklahoma City as a tentative site for a $21 million permanent practice facility. Advertisement

On Tuesday, the Oklahoma City Council will consider a proposal for an early entry agreement for the NBA team to purchase eight acres at Britton Road and Broadway Extension that is currently owned by Kickingbird Medical Building, LLC.

The proposal will be reviewed for an early entry agreement with the property owner to conduct a due diligence evaluation, inspection and survey of the property. The process includes environmental studies, ground stabilization and a general assessment of the property and reliable cost estimates for construction.

Oklahoma City voters on March 4 approved a 1-cent sales tax to pay for $100 million in renovations at the Ford Center and about $21 million for a new practice facility if the city signed a lease with an NBA team. The tax will begin in January 2009 and run for 15 months.

It’s been estimated it will take nearly two years to build a permanent practice facility that would feature two courts, offices for basketball operations, team meeting rooms and other amenities. The new facility is expected to be ready for the 2010-11 season.

This season, the Thunder is practicing at a 30,000-square-foot facility in north Oklahoma City that was purchased from Performance Sports Center for $3.65 million in July. After undergoing renovations, the facility features one court, seven goals and a weight-lifting area.

According to legal documents, the address for land owned by Kickingbird Medical is 9500 N. Oklahoma, which is approximately a quarter-mile east of Broadway Extension on the north side of Britton.

Not particularly exciting...

LordGerald
10-11-2008, 03:00 PM
http://www.newsok.com/thunder-selects-site-for-practice-facility/article/3310011?custom_click=headlines_widget

Not particularly exciting...

Agreed. Not real happy about this. The city had the opportunity to put this in Core to Shore or near the urban center, and they took a weak route. I wanted everyone to be able to see this facility, not just commuters to Edmond.

dalelakin
10-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Agreed. Not real happy about this. The city had the opportunity to put this in Core to Shore or near the urban center, and they took a weak route. I wanted everyone to be able to see this facility, not just commuters to Edmond.

Agreed pretty disappointing decision IMO.

kevinpate
10-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd say the city had the opportunity to put a facility where the team wanted it. I can't pretend to be surprised the team's preferred location is far north OKC.

HOT ROD
10-11-2008, 04:27 PM

I think you meant, commuters FROM Edmond.

LordGerald
10-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I think you meant, commuters FROM Edmond.

Whatever, dude. My team just got beat and you want to play English professor.

OKCTalker
10-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Right across the street from the OPUBCO complex.

OKC PATROL
10-11-2008, 08:03 PM
The wife got involved. Well, maybe the coaching staff and the players will settle down in Nichols Hills.

I cant imagine what the old guard of OCG&CC will say when they see some of the players on the golf course...

Turanacus
10-13-2008, 08:05 AM
This sucks, terrible choice. PJ, probably another terrible choice.

metro
10-13-2008, 08:10 AM
I agree, location sucks. Somehow I wonder if Bennett had more weight on this decision than expected. Right across from OPUBCO complex. How easy/restricted will this location be for the public to come view a practice? I wonder how Cornett feels about making it easier for these players to live in Edmond. He was so bent on not making it easier for people to live in Edmond if we go forward with public transportation (as he should be unless they cough up their fare share of the money). But no doubt many players will live in Edmond and this location will only make it more convenient for them. It will also make it easier for them to live in Nichols Hills. I wish/hope the city has a final say so on the location since we're footing the bill.

Another bad decision by Bennett and the boys:

* McClendon's slip of the tongue.
* Not knowing deleted emails can be read
* Poor name choice
* Poor logo choice
* Poor color scheme
* Logo/colors not saying anything about actual team name
* Poor PR/advertising of team
* Poor location selection of practice facility.

Turanacus
10-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Metro, did you end up getting season tickets?

john60
10-13-2008, 08:55 AM
How many NBA teams have practice facilities that are in "urban" locations, and how many have facilities in more "suburban" locations like ours? I agree that this is going to be kind of out of the way and could've been cool if placed downtown, but at the same time, I kind of feel like putting these out in the suburbs is kind of the norm in the NBA. Then again, I have no idea...anyone know?

metro
10-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Metro, did you end up getting season tickets?

Nope, they sold out before I got my chance. Couldn't even get a single game ticket to opening night, I'm pretty bummed. All I could get was 2 crappy tickets in the nosebleeds to tomorrow's preseason game. I am excited about that though.

and john 60, even if the "norm" is in the suburbs, who says we have to be "trendy" with our new C2S, why can't we buck the trend for once and start a new trend of returning them to urban cores. I believe the Sonics had theirs in the inner part of Seattle near UW campus.

Pete
10-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Not sure of the advantage of having this downtown... Just a gym and training facility, right? How would downtown benefit from this?

Richard at Remax
10-13-2008, 09:35 AM
I think people are getting to bent out of shape. Its a practice facility. In the words of AI we are talking about "practice" here. when I go to a new city I don't look for the practice area, I look for the arena or stadium. Hell look at the dallas cowboys facility on google maps. Its no where near anything significant. I don't think they built it downtown in C2S because even though I think we will be ok, who knows if the team will be here in 20 years? Because if thats the case they would have an empty gym downtown. This area is safe and is easy to get to and usually the traffic runs pretty smooth and is within close proximity to good real estate and downtown.

Luke
10-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Not sure of the advantage of having this downtown... Just a gym and training facility, right? How would downtown benefit from this?

That's kind of what I was thinking.

This isn't some tourist thing.

metro
10-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I guess I prefer to look at the flipside, I see things for the possibility they could be. Why NOT have this become some tourist thing. Why not have it used for a recreation center when the team isn't using it? Yes we can support a team, but the long-term is still questionable. The team needs to milk every ounce of enthusiasm and interest in the team is possible so we can sustain the team long-term. Why not have it in a more local friendly location to be able to watch a few practices? Luke, you were one of the biggest proponents of all against the city paying for the practice facility. Do you now not want it to be for other public use when the team is not using it?

LordGerald
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM

The advantage and benefit to the citizen is that we paid for it. The city will own the facility and lease it to the team. There has been talk that the facility will be aesthetically pleasing and that it could be used for civic events in the off-season.

Having it in a location where more people can "see" it shows some semblance of pride and progress, given that it was funded by a vote of the people. Downtown could've benefited from this, by reaffirming that downtown was the "place to be." It could've been a sign to the region that sprawl is an old concept and that living and working in the inner core was truly the wave of the future.

It's more symbolic than anything else, but a lot can be said when you see a pretty building. I know that's a silly conclusion, but people didn't fully get behind Maps I until they saw the ballpark.

Luke
10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Do you now not want it to be for other public use when the team is not using it?

If we paid for it, we should get to use it, no matter what it is. And since we paid for it, the cost should be kept as low as possible. Keep it a practice facility that the public has access to. Don't add on to make it cost any more than it needs to. My two cents.

I love the idea of being creative with the facility, metro. Making it an attraction. But, not at the taxpayers expense. If a businessman thinks its as good an idea as you make it out to be, then they would have foot the bill themselves.

Karried
10-13-2008, 10:52 AM
What is it, 10-15 min max from Downtown?

I don't know how public we'd want a practice facility anyhow... do we want spies from opposing teams just walking in, videotaping, selling our secrets to other teams.. no we do not.

lol, I'm teasing of course..

but truly, this isn't in Guthrie or Ardmore! It's not that far and the surrounding community will most likely benefit, hopefully offering some much needed programs.

jbrown84
10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
While I did say "not particularly exciting", I don't necessarily think it needs to be. We have enough big boxes downtown. Do we really need another when we could be putting in more pedestrian friendly, urban development? I don't buy that this would ever be much of a tourist destination. I can see it being something locals use, but there are plenty of locals within 5-10 minutes drive of this location. Besides, Broadway Extension needs a little filling in. We've already sprawled far past Britton, so this is really actually in-fill.

* Poor name choice
* Poor logo choice
* Poor color scheme
* Poor PR/advertising of team

* Your opinion
* Your opinion
* Your opinion

betts
10-13-2008, 12:56 PM
The only reason I care about the chosen location is because I think it encourages the players to live in Edmond, whereas if it were downtown, they'd be a little more likely to live downtown or in places like Crown Heights or Heritage Hills. Also, were we to have open practices like the Mavericks do, it would encourage people to go downtown to watch. I don't think the practice facility in and of itself is going to be a showpiece or major tourist attraction.

jbrown84
10-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Very true. I would have preferred a downtown or inner city location, but there are worse things that could have happened. As far as players living downtown, I imagine some still will, if they were used to urban living. Those with kids I'm sure prefer Edmond.

OKC PATROL
10-13-2008, 01:31 PM
These kid celebrities would most likely want a big style ranch home in a gated community anyway, when compared to an elegant historic mansion with good taste. They like new 'MTV Crib' style of homes. Lots of ugly leather coaches/lazy boys from mathis brothers and super large flat screen tvs hooked up to sony playstations.

Karried
10-13-2008, 02:08 PM
super large flat screen tvs hooked up to sony playstations.

xbox 360s

metro
10-13-2008, 02:18 PM
While I did say "not particularly exciting", I don't necessarily think it needs to be. We have enough big boxes downtown. Do we really need another when we could be putting in more pedestrian friendly, urban development? I don't buy that this would ever be much of a tourist destination. I can see it being something locals use, but there are plenty of locals within 5-10 minutes drive of this location. Besides, Broadway Extension needs a little filling in. We've already sprawled far past Britton, so this is really actually in-fill.

* Your opinion
* Your opinion
* Your opinion

Your absolutely right. But are not others and I entitled to our opinons? At least my opinion has some logic behind it. Not stating others don't as well. I think we can agree to disagree, both sides have logical reasons. This is a public message board afterall. Just because the Free Market System failed, doesn't mean free speech did too. FYI...I never said it had to be downtown, just wish it was or somewhere close to OCU.

Luke
10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
...just wish it was or somewhere close to OCU.

I wish it was in Del City.

metro
10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Why? You were so against taxpayers funding it, and now you want us taxpayers who are funding it to put it in a city other than where the tax is? Is this more Ron Paul economics?

Pete
10-13-2008, 02:23 PM
If you think about it, the facility is equi-distant from where the players are most likely to live: Gallardia, Edmond and Downtown.

Will be able to get to that intersection from any of those places in about 15 minutes.

metro
10-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Pete, your forgetting Nichols Hills just about 2-3 miles away.

All I'm saying is if taxpayers are paying for it, the city ought to have some say so to location and design. Regardless of cheaper expense by putting it out there, they will still use the $21 million allotted for it. I doubt they will say okay, we saved $3 million on our land budget, so will give it back to the city. I don't see that happening, they will just by more Nintendo Wii's, granite, and workout equipment for the players.

Luke
10-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Why? You were so against taxpayers funding it, and now you want us taxpayers who are funding it to put it in a city other than where the tax is? Is this more Ron Paul economics?

Hey, all we were talking about were wishes. Wishes are different than taxpayer funded facilities.

:)

Pete
10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
All I'm saying is if taxpayers are paying for it, the city ought to have some say so to location and design.

The original article says the proposed transaction is to be submitted to the city council, so it sure sounds like the city is directly involved.

jbrown84
10-13-2008, 03:01 PM
But are not others and I entitled to our opinons?

Oh, of course. It's about how you express those opinions. But enough of that.

Chicken In The Rough
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm not certain many of the players will actually live in OKC anyway. They may purchase condos or live in hotels, but I don't see many putting down permanent roots. I expect most will be temporary residents at best. This is just my opinion, and of course, I may be way off.

I know that this facility is really just a large, glorified gym. Ususally practice facilities are quite plain. Even so, it would be nice for this facility to feed off of and into its local neighborhood. The OPUBCO intersection provides little opportunity for meaningful interaction with the city in my opinion.

I think the biggest advantage to the city having this facility downtown is that it would give OKC another venue to go along with Cox and Ford. Imagine having THREE arenas downtown!

But, it's not that big a deal to me. I'm okay with just about any location, and I remain thrilled that OKC and the investor team were able to land this deal and bring this team to the city. I applaud them. I never thought I'd see this in my lifetime.

MrBojangles
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Most of the players brought homes in Rose Creek addition [Edmond]. A hop, skip and a jump to future practice facility

southernskye
10-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm not certain many of the players will actually live in OKC anyway. They may purchase condos or live in hotels, but I don't see many putting down permanent roots. I expect most will be temporary residents at best. This is just my opinion, and of course, I may be way off.

I think your right, I can't see those players with family's moving here.

Most of the players brought homes in Rose Creek addition [Edmond]. A hop, skip and a jump to future practice facility
How do you know this ?

smacketyanne
10-15-2008, 01:28 AM
The original site of the practice facility was in Edmond on Santa Fe.

smacketyanne
10-15-2008, 01:29 AM
Oh, and Karried , you laughed about the "spy" thing, but even high schools watch out for who might be lurking around practices with a camera :)

kevinpate
10-15-2008, 05:11 AM
city residents, not just the downtownies, voted in the increase to pay for the facility. All of us who spend $$ within the city contribute, irrespective of whether we're downtownies, outlanders or from out of town/state.

The facility is being built inside OKC, apparently at a location that makes the most sense to team ownership.

The city fringe residents have every bit as much right to easy access as anyone else to a city purchased facility, or at least it seems that way.

Sure sounds like everything is pretty much as it should be.

Kerry
10-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Agreed. Not real happy about this. The city had the opportunity to put this in Core to Shore or near the urban center, and they took a weak route.

Maybe the team didn't want to practice near the most important freight distribution facility in the country and the 6 new freight rail lines and all of those future rail containers.

metro
10-15-2008, 07:42 AM

I believe Durant did, but I think it's actually OKC City limits and Edmond Schools.

metro
10-15-2008, 07:44 AM
I think your right, I can't see those players with family's moving here.

How do you know this ?

Why do you say that? This is a great place to raise a family more than it is a great place for a single. Personally I think it's great for both, but singles usually like more action of say NYC, SF, CHI, MIAMI, etc.

Tons of families from California and elsewhere are flocking here like mad (and inflating our home and apartment prices) because of the low cost of living and high quality of life they can have for their family compared to being broke and in a deflated home in So.Cal.

stlokc
10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Why do you say that? This is a great place to raise a family more than it is a great place for a single. Personally I think it's great for both, but singles usually like more action of say NYC, SF, CHI, MIAMI, etc.

Tons of families from California and elsewhere are flocking here like mad (and inflating our home and apartment prices) because of the low cost of living and high quality of life they can have for their family compared to being broke and in a deflated home in So.Cal.

Speaking as somebody who lives in a city with three major-league sports teams, I suspect that most of the Thunder players are not going to be moving to OKC on any kind of a permanent basis. Judging by experience with the Cardinals, Rams and Blues, it seems that most pro ball players are used to moving teams every year or two. It makes more sense for them to keep their families (if they have them) in one place and then they more or less "commute" during the season, buying condos in the city where their team of the moment is located. This is actually a good thing for Downtown if you think about it, they are more likely to live down there. For those that are single, even more so. And metro, all your points are valid, but 25-year-old multi-millionaires don't care about the cost of living.

I also don't think its a big deal for the practice facility to be along Broadway Extension. That thoroughfare looks pretty down-on-the heels in that stretch and is in just as much need of "infill" as Downtown. A warehouse-like practice-facility is not as important to the future of Downtown as some high-quality mixed-use residential/commercial/office would be in the same location. Just my opinion.

kmf563
10-15-2008, 08:05 AM
I think this is a much better place than the original place. They were looking at land on Santa Fe and on Kelley over by the ice skating rink. Most of the players already live in Edmond, some live in the Moore/Norman region though. Either way, this practice facility also houses the staff and players office spaces, meeting rooms, and game play reviews. I think having it away from where they are creating the buzz would be better so they can practice in peace and work without people constantly imposing on them. That's what the games are for. They need their space to prepare for that.

metro
10-15-2008, 08:10 AM
stlokc, you bring some valid points. There still will be a few support staff and players that will probably CHOOSE to root their family here as it is a good place to raise families and not be in the spotlight all the time as they would say in LA, Dallas, etc. Byron Scott and family (from Hornets) still stay rooted here and his daughter still attends UCO. I've heard Chris Paul still has his rent house here and visits. I agree, pro-sports are about cross-country commuting as part of the job is knowing you will probably be traded often, unless you are a David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre or someone who is rooted in the community and doesn't want to move. I still think there will be some of that (i.e. Desmond Mason (OSU), Durant (possibly), John Lucas (also OSU) and possibly a few others.

I agree, 25 (or younger) multi-millionaires aren't worried about cost of living, however obviously they may be to an extent as they purchased $250-$400K homes in Rose Creek instead of $1 million plus palacial MTV Cribs spreads in Gaillardia, Nichols Hills, Edmond or Downtown.

Luke
10-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Eduardo Najera has a home in Edmond, right? Maybe he'll be able to get a transfer to the Thunder. That would be cool.

metro
10-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Indeed Luke. That would be pretty cool. Make it an All-Star Oklahoman team, even if we aren't the best in the league, I think it would be supported better long-term.

stlokc
10-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Metro, you are right that the coaching staff, support staff, office personnel will be putting down healthy roots in OKC. And that is not something that should be ignored. I also think it is true that some of the older players with families could choose OKC as a more permanent location, particularly if they are from this part of the country originally. I am thinking that the reason more players may have initially bought smaller houses to begin with is because they are still unsure of exactly what the future brings. It's a transient industry. OKC will need to do a very good "selling" job. If the city rallies behind the team and falls in love with them, they are more likely to grow a connection. In St. Louis, there are many, many more Cardinals players that live here permanently than there are Rams players because of the longer, more enthusiastic connections.

scootinger
10-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I believe Durant did, but I think it's actually OKC City limits and Edmond Schools.

it's actually divided between Deer Creek and Edmond school districts.

Lord Helmet
10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Eduardo Najera has a home in Edmond, right? Maybe he'll be able to get a transfer to the Thunder. That would be cool.

He sold it a while back. Its a mile from my house. The gates have been chained shut since the summer.

anyway...

This thread is really funny. Its a practice facility. What does it matter where it is? Who cares where the players live? Its about what happens on the court on game day.

Saberman
10-15-2008, 11:16 AM
It will also be in the area of the major TV stations. I think the City Council talked about yesterday, they voted on the design team.

sroberts24
10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
He sold it a while back. Its a mile from my house. The gates have been chained shut since the summer.

anyway...

This thread is really funny. Its a practice facility. What does it matter where it is? Who cares where the players live? Its about what happens on the court on game day.

they must have moved somewhere in the area, i know the family he married into, his wife owns a baby clothing store on memorial and may, i'm almost certain they still live in edmond

jbrown84
10-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I also don't think its a big deal for the practice facility to be along Broadway Extension. That thoroughfare looks pretty down-on-the heels in that stretch and is in just as much need of "infill" as Downtown. A warehouse-like practice-facility is not as important to the future of Downtown as some high-quality mixed-use residential/commercial/office would be in the same location. Just my opinion.

I brought this up either here or at OKMET. I completely agree.

Anyone know the difference between the offices that will eventually be at the Ford Center and the offices that will be at the practice facility?

John
10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I brought this up either here or at OKMET. I completely agree.

Anyone know the difference between the offices that will eventually be at the Ford Center and the offices that will be at the practice facility?

I believe the offices at the Ford Center will be front office/sales/etc type jobs -- the ones that are currently in Leadership Square. The ones at the practice facility are team related (coaches/trainers/equipment/etc).

onthestrip
10-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Transfer? Thats funny. Not many transfers in the NBA, how about trades.

Lord Helmet
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
they must have moved somewhere in the area, i know the family he married into, his wife owns a baby clothing store on memorial and may, i'm almost certain they still live in edmond

Interesting. I knew his wife was from here. I guess they just moved. I thought it was odd because they did a lot of work to the property, and then it was up for sale (in fact, I think it still is).

*Edited for Privacy Purposes

Luke
10-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Transfer? Thats funny. Not many transfers in the NBA, how about trades.

I've watched more NBA games in the past week than I have in the 28 years of my life prior.

I've got quite a bit to learn.

:)

CuatrodeMayo
07-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Oklahoma City council approves plans for Thunder practice facility

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/lead620.jpg

Oklahoma City (http://www.newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Oklahoma+City+Thunder&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) will take bids later this month from contractors who want to build a $15.5 million NBA (http://www.newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=National+Basketball+Association&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) practice facility for the Oklahoma City Thunder...

http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-approves-plans-for-thunder-practice-facility/article/3383549?custom_click=headlines_widget

metro
07-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Meeting Room

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/597762/gallery_photo

Practice Courts

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/597763/gallery_photo

Training/Medical Room

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/597764/gallery_photo

Turanacus
07-09-2009, 08:04 AM
That's it, i'm trying out.