View Full Version : Citizen's Fire Academy

Keith
08-24-2004, 12:26 PM
The Okla. City Fire Dept. offers a free class to adults who want to learn more about the fire department. The class is called the Citizen's Fire Academy, and a new class is scheduled to start Thursday, Sept. 9, and go through Thursday, Oct.28. These classes are every Thursday from 6-9 PM. at the Police/Fire training center on N. Portland.

You learn all about the different things the fire department does, and during the 8-9 week class, you get the opportunity to go to a fire station and ride along with them on all their emergency calls.

I was fortunate enough to attend the class last year, and I was actually able to do 3 ride alongs with a fire station. There are field trips and other exciting things that you get to do. The best part is that it is free. If you are interested in the class, go to OKC's web site, www.okc.gov. and download a Citizen's Fire Academy application.

Patrick
08-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey Keith,
Thanks for letting us know about this academy! I remember you saying you did this the last time it was offered? Just out of curiosity, did the class increase your interest in the fire department in general? Any interest in switching careers in the near future? Just curious!

Keith
08-25-2004, 08:38 PM
I have always had an interest in the fire department. Bak in 1989, I actually applied for a firefighter position. I made it past the rigorous physical agility test, but I didn't make it past the written test. The fire dept. still fascinates me, however, I'm a little over the hill to try it again. I'll just stay where I'm at.

Patrick
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
That's interesting to learn. I never knew you tried to be a firefighter. Hmmmm.....that would've been an exciting job!

Well, I guess everything happens for a purpose. I know with as busy as you stay at work, they probably couldn't do without you now! So I know you're probably where you belong!
Thanks again for letting us know about the upcoming academy.