View Full Version : More River Improvements!! Exciting!

bucktalk
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
The Oklahoma River continues to plan more improvements...awesome!

http://boathousedistrict.org/youth-pavilion-sky-trail-zip-line

MDot
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Awesome!! I love the zip line, I know I'm going to do that quite a bit. LOL does anyone know when this will break ground?

CLang
12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
The district still needs another 2.5 to 4.5 million dollars so it looks like it may be a few years down the road. The UCO boathouse has not broken ground yet and it was scheduled to begin work this past year.

Fantastic
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
OH!!! Now THAT is cool! :)

ljbab728
12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Yes, that is very exciting if it comes to be. It's things like that along with the coming whitewater course that will make this area a true multipurpose adventure destination. It all helps to counter our reputation as a fat, couch potato city.

BoulderSooner
12-06-2011, 06:38 AM
The district still needs another 2.5 to 4.5 million dollars so it looks like it may be a few years down the road. The UCO boathouse has not broken ground yet and it was scheduled to begin work this past year.

that boat house and the OU boathouse have 100% different and seperate funding from this project .. the OU boat house is 100% funded .. don't know about UCO

CLang
12-07-2011, 03:45 PM
That is correct, and UCO has not raised enough money as of yet but are fairly close. I imagine the same construction company will be used for the rest of the boathouse and pavilion that were used for the OCU Boathouse and the Finish Line Tower so I'm sure only one or two things will be built at a time

dmoor82
12-14-2011, 02:57 PM
From the Charlotte Observer http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/14/2848862/olympic-body-leaving-charlotte.html

adaniel
12-14-2011, 04:11 PM
From the Charlotte Observer http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/14/2848862/olympic-body-leaving-charlotte.html

WARNING: Do not read the comments section on that article!

MDot
12-14-2011, 04:30 PM

I read every one of them and there was more hate towards Charlotte than Oklahoma City or USA Conoe/Kayak (although they seemed to get a lot of heat) and the only comments negative about Oklahoma City were the few typical comments that you see in every comment section concerning Oklahoma.

Just the facts
12-14-2011, 04:48 PM
There is your problem right there.

After the Charlotte center opened, attendance and revenues were less than projected. Wise always said the center was able to pay its operating bills, but couldn't pay much of its $38 million construction debt, which a group of 43 banks and lenders financed.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/13/2847915/usa-canoekayak-headquarters-leaving.html#ixzz1gYX5lBVl

ljbab728
12-15-2011, 12:36 AM
I read every one of them and there was more hate towards Charlotte than Oklahoma City or USA Conoe/Kayak (although they seemed to get a lot of heat) and the only comments negative about Oklahoma City were the few typical comments that you see in every comment section concerning Oklahoma.

You're right. I read all of them also and most were bashing Charlotte. The worst thing I saw about OKC was someone wondering if OKC was also run by "dimwit liberals". LOL. If only they knew.

Dustin
12-15-2011, 01:28 AM

God... It's like reading NewsOK...

Bellaboo
12-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Read them, it's some funny stuff. They get mad at each other and are calling each other out. It's like Jerry Springer in print.

MDot
12-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Read them, it's some funny stuff. They get mad at each other and are calling each other out. It's like Jerry Springer in print.

Exactly what I was thinking. LOL

kevinpate
12-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Sooo, it really is like reading comments at newsok.com (or any other paper I suspect.)

Skyline
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Sooo, it really is like reading comments at newsok.com (or any other paper I suspect.)

Exactly!

Newspaper comment sections are all the same.

Snowman
12-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Exactly!

Newspaper comment sections are all the same.

I don't know, the Oklahoma would have probably disabled commenting and hidden all the entries a few days ago.

Bellaboo
12-16-2011, 12:14 PM

What gets me is how all the toothless wonders gravitate to the cameras for interviews on news stories................it's amazing.

kd5ili
12-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I will be spending quite a bit of time and money at the new Whitewater park when it opens. I miss running rapids in a kayak. Now to just get the wife to understand...

Chris Sokol
Sokol Photography

mmonroe
12-20-2011, 10:13 PM
is it bad that i feel like this guy couldn't cut it in Charlotte and feels like OKC would be a better place to start anew... not trying to pee on anyone's parade, but that's the impression that I get. Anyone have info on this guys track record of success or lack there of?

Bellaboo
12-21-2011, 04:35 PM
is it bad that i feel like this guy couldn't cut it in Charlotte and feels like OKC would be a better place to start anew... not trying to pee on anyone's parade, but that's the impression that I get. Anyone have info on this guys track record of success or lack there of?

I'm not so sure he's at fault. The city borrowed heavily for this project along with the NASCAR museum and the rail system, was in extreme debt crisis mode, and one of the biggest complaints is that they started charging for parking at the white water facility, in essence running visitors off. The comments seemed to blame the city leadership more than anything.

Snowman
12-22-2011, 04:35 AM

To some extent it is hard to judge his performance due to how short he has been their (like a bit over a year), in some areas it is hard to say how much the support they can provide helped a single local organizations, he took over just after the budget was being severely cut by the US Olympic Committee and after most of the problems in Charlotte had happened. Take for instance more international event have been awarded in the US than in average years before him, they do work with the organization biding the event and the International Canoe Federation on this but is also directly due to their being more facilities that meet international requirements to host events in the US.

OSUPeterson
12-29-2011, 10:16 PM
This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but I was unaware of anything better. Sorry if it needs to be moved.

My girlfriend and I went down to the river today since we have the day off and went for a run and bike. It was amazing and things like this make me ok with staying in OKC.

I hated having to cycle and run by the dell building (I started at meridian and went to I35 and back) and go through the smokers. A pack of 10-20 people (depending one which time in the 40 minutes I was on the trail I went by) were crowded by a gate off the dell campus that was on the trail. They were standing on the grass, the dell sidewalk and on the actual river trail, all smoking.

Its great dell gives these people a place to smoke at work, and it seems like an insane amount of them do smoke, but why the hell would you put your smoking area on the multisport trails. Its very unnerving for some to run/cycle by there and have 15 men staring you down on a fairly empty part of the trail and its highly discouraging to have to workout and inhale all the smoke, with absolutely no way to avoid it. I can handle it at a bar, not when Im trying to be healthy.

Who should this issue be made to? I figure someone on here must know who to contact. I love the growth on the river, and want to keep enjoying it, but I do not want to have to worry about all the smokers by the dell campus always. I have used several river trails like this in colorado and texas, and never had this experience before.

Snowman
12-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Its great dell gives these people a place to smoke at work, and it seems like an insane amount of them do smoke, but why the hell would you put your smoking area on the multisport trails. Its very unnerving for some to run/cycle by there and have 15 men staring you down on a fairly empty part of the trail and its highly discouraging to have to workout and inhale all the smoke, with absolutely no way to avoid it. I can handle it at a bar, not when Im trying to be healthy.

It seems like the issue is that dell is not giving them a place to smoke, so they are going to the closest place off the campus, every other gate is twelve times as far if you count going to and walking back.

ljbab728
12-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I understand what you're saying but the health issue for you is probably nonexistent. You're running or biking by them and are probably exposed for about 2 seconds at most. Not a problem.

Bellaboo
12-30-2011, 08:42 AM
I'd say suck in and hold your breath while passing by.

MDot
12-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd say suck in and hold your breath while passing by.

Something tells me that Bellaboo is one of the men out there smoking on the trail.. LOL

Skyline
12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
What is the policy for smoking in Oklahoma City parks?

Bellaboo
12-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Something tells me that Bellaboo is one of the men out there smoking on the trail.. LOL

Quite the opposite...... I've got asthma, never smoked a day in my life......but know how to get by them without inhaling...I despise smoking......lol

MDot
12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Quite the opposite...... I've got asthma, never smoked a day in my life......but know how to get by them without inhaling...I despise smoking......lol

I don't have asthma but my cousin does so I've seen that first hand. However, I have a hard time breathing around smoke so I have to hold my breath or breathe really lightly.

zrfdude
12-31-2011, 12:24 AM
It seems like the issue is that dell is not giving them a place to smoke, so they are going to the closest place off the campus, every other gate is twelve times as far if you count going to and walking back.

Dell's property is smoke free I believe. I noticed that both the 45-degree and new overhead Google Maps imagery shows the issue. There must always be people out there.

Skyline
12-31-2011, 09:56 AM
I think that Okc parks have a no smoking policy, and the river trails are part of the Okc parks area.

I would make a complaint to the Okc parks department and cc Dell.

ljbab728
12-31-2011, 11:28 PM
I think that Okc parks have a no smoking policy, and the river trails are part of the Okc parks area.

I would make a complaint to the Okc parks department and cc Dell.

You could be correct but smoking regulations are not mentioned anywhere on the parks department website or here on the parks guide.

http://www.okc.gov/parks/documents/2011ParksGuideLowFinal.pdf

Soho
01-03-2012, 08:00 AM
While I agree the smell is repulsive, in my opinion the larger issue is safety!

I ride the trail several times a week and have had too many close calls with "The Dell Smoking Team". They stand around with seemingly no idea that it is a public use trail. Could be I notice it more because the little woman and I ride a tandem which is less maneuverable than a single. At least the Geese will move out of the way and we can usually dodge the Goose crap, but it is hard to miss a herd of "asphalt cattle" with their backs to the wind, puffing madly on cigarettes.

Dell spent a great deal of money on Basketball courts, Volleyball courts, sitting areas, etc. that are never in use (when I have gone by) but there are normally 5-20 smokers off premises blocking the trail.

ljbab728
01-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Has anyone thought about trying to make Dell aware of this problem? They seem to have a reputation as a socially responsible company.