View Full Version : Ticket Trap for Christmas Shoppers

zuluwarrior0760
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Friend of mine got a ticket Fri. night pulling into Quail Springs off May Ave just north
of the Barnes and Noble. (At Shikis) Believe it or not, that 5 lane road is 25MPH.
The problem is the Limit sign is so close to the corner, your headlights don't
illuminate that sign at night if you're turning from the south and it's also partially
obscured by the Quail Springs sign. The OKC Police are targeting this area because
Christmas shoppers frequently blast through that stoplight west to east going 50 or 60.
My friend looked at the cop quite comfortably doing 39 thinking there was no way in HELL he was speeding or doing anything wrong and he got a 187.00 ticket as his reward.

Tonight as a result, I cruised by leisurely at 24MPH while watching a Chrysler in the inside lane fly by at about 50 only to then see him get tagged. YES!!!!! finally not me!!

Perhaps there should be a permanent thread on current OKC ticket traps/targets.

demoman
12-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Ticket Trap on 164th the new stretch from May to Penn. They just changed the 50MPH signs to 40MPH and didn't notify anyone they were doing it. Started handing out 160.00 tickets too. Another stretch they like to frequent is from Braums to Walmart Market plad along there. Edmond, OkC Police and the Sherrifs all can be seen there FREQUENTLY with someone pulled over. Definite TRAP!

SoonerBeerMan
12-13-2011, 08:13 AM
They're targeting all of those newly expanded road. I don't quite understand the logic of have a 2-lane road with a 50mph limit, then expanding it to 4-lanes with a 40mph limit. Either way, I've seen someone pulled over every morning on Western between NW164th and 150th.

BlackmoreRulz
12-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Not exactly a speed trap but I got a ticket a couple of months ago for doing 70 on BROADWAY EXTENSION....hell, I thought that was the minimum speed.....

kevinpate
12-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Not exactly a speed trap but I got a ticket a couple of months ago for doing 70 on BROADWAY EXTENSION....hell, I thought that was the minimum speed.....

Are you sure it was for speeding and not a reckless driving ticket for impeding the normal flow of traffic? Like you, I thought 70 on Broadway Ext. was a speed only the deeply depressed resorted to using.

FRISKY
12-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Okay, I have to know...what is this "speed limit" thing everyone is talking about? :sofa:

rcjunkie
12-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Okay, I have to know...what is this "speed limit" thing everyone is talking about? :sofa:

Sounds like people complaining because they got caught breaking the law. (Failure to read new, lowered speed limits is not a defense, sorry).

TheTravellers
12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
They're targeting all of those newly expanded road. I don't quite understand the logic of have a 2-lane road with a 50mph limit, then expanding it to 4-lanes with a 40mph limit. Either way, I've seen someone pulled over every morning on Western between NW164th and 150th.

Actually, the speed limit was 50 MPH westbound from Penn to May a little while back after they finally finished construction, but there was a sign for 45 MPH eastbound from May to Penn (pathetic the city or contractor or whoever does that work can't coordinate on 2 speed limit signs within about a mile of each other). I never ever go through the 164th/Penn intersection (still too f-ed up and backed up, which is a whole other story), so I asked the wife to check the speed limit when she came back that way one day, she said it was 45. I take 164th eastbound almost every night on the way home from work, and I believe they've left it at 45 both ways for a couple of weeks now.

May, Penn, Western (in that area), and 164th have all been massive speed traps after construction was over (I've posted about it before), they leave the 25 MPH signs up way past the time they should've been changed.

rcjunkie
12-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Actually, the speed limit was 50 MPH westbound from Penn to May a little while back after they finally finished construction, but there was a sign for 45 MPH eastbound from May to Penn (pathetic the city or contractor or whoever does that work can't coordinate on 2 speed limit signs within about a mile of each other). I never ever go through the 164th/Penn intersection (still too f-ed up and backed up, which is a whole other story), so I asked the wife to check the speed limit when she came back that way one day, she said it was 45. I take 164th eastbound almost every night on the way home from work, and I believe they've left it at 45 both ways for a couple of weeks now.

May, Penn, Western (in that area), and 164th have all been massive speed traps after construction was over (I've posted about it before), they leave the 25 MPH signs up way past the time they should've been changed.

Having different speed limits for opposite directions in the same area is not that uncommon.

TheTravellers
12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Having different speed limits for opposite directions in the same area is not that uncommon.

Please.... In my decades of driving all over the country, I have never seen that situation before. Prove it. Anyway, it's a moot point, they recognized their error and fixed it in a day or two.

Speed limit sign on 164th just east of May is 45 MPH, verified tonight. I'm about 99.9999999999999999999% sure it's also 45 MPH on the sign just west of Penn on 164th, but there's no way I'm driving through that intersection to verify.

RadicalModerate
12-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Forest Park, Oklahoma: Original Home of Different Speed Limits in Different Directions.
(Avoid Christmas Shopping Here at All Costs.)
Even Internet Based Shopping.
(The Lower Speed Limit sign is outbound to the East . . .
Toward Spencer . . . Not Spencer's Gifts . . . The Other Spencer)

rcjunkie
12-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Please.... In my decades of driving all over the country, I have never seen that situation before. Prove it. Anyway, it's a moot point, they recognized their error and fixed it in a day or two.

Speed limit sign on 164th just east of May is 45 MPH, verified tonight. I'm about 99.9999999999999999999% sure it's also 45 MPH on the sign just west of Penn on 164th, but there's no way I'm driving through that intersection to verify.

I know of of at least 7 such locations in the Moore and Norman area.

RadicalModerate
12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
If you happen to be considering a Christmas Gift of some wine from, say, Tres Suenos, and are heading West on Old, Historic, Route 66 (say . . . from Wellston or Chicago) start slowing down as soon as you see any sign indicating the existence of Luther (where you have to make the right turn to Tres Suenos for that Christmas Gift).

If you have already approached The Bridge it is too late to slow down.
Take the ticket. Pay it.
Trust me: There is no more cost effective solution to the injustice.

Bill Robertson
12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Okay, I have to know...what is this "speed limit" thing everyone is talking about? :sofa:You aren't the only one that seems to have no idea.

Bill Robertson
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Sounds like people complaining because they got caught breaking the law. (Failure to read new, lowered speed limits is not a defense, sorry).So true. If you want to speed or break any other law for that matter, fine. But don't blame anyone else if you get caught.

Bill Robertson
12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Perhaps there should be a permanent thread on current OKC ticket traps/targets.On a similar note. I was going through Tulsa on my way to see my Cardinals win the World Series and one of the radio stations DJs said something like "The Tulsa police are holding a fundraiser today on Union between "X" Ave. and "Y" Ave. so be careful if you don't wish to donate". I thought that was pretty funny.

TheTravellers
12-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I know of of at least 7 such locations in the Moore and Norman area.

That ain't proof. Pictures are proof. :poke:

I have not driven in Moore, Norman, or Forest Park much, but from what I've been reading, it's actually pretty uncommon. Missouri DOT even says this in their engineering guide: "Except on divided highways, different speeds for traffic in opposite directions cannot be justified."

So it's basically something that you've only seen about 7 times and only in 2 (3, counting RadMod's sighting) suburbs of OKC. Have you been by those locations recently to see if that's still the case? Doesn't quite match up with "not that uncommon" if you take into account all the streets in the metro area.

rcjunkie
12-15-2011, 11:10 AM
That ain't proof. Pictures are proof. :poke:

I have not driven in Moore, Norman, or Forest Park much, but from what I've been reading, it's actually pretty uncommon. Missouri DOT even says this in their engineering guide: "Except on divided highways, different speeds for traffic in opposite directions cannot be justified."

So it's basically something that you've only seen about 7 times and only in 2 (3, counting RadMod's sighting) suburbs of OKC. Have you been by those locations recently to see if that's still the case? Doesn't quite match up with "not that uncommon" if you take into account all the streets in the metro area.

It's obvious your just bored and looking to argue for fun or something to do, sorry, you've got the wrong man. See Ya

Snowman
12-15-2011, 10:39 PM

This may not be the reason for the spot you are talking about but one of the reasons we have a lot of different speed per road direction is the geography of OKC's limits and how far out they extend, the cut offs of city limits in many cases run down the middle of the road. The speed is set by the city who owns that half, and the police only have jurisdiction over one way of the road in their city. While varies by exact city, in my area on the west side of the metro the non OKC side will be set 5 to 10 miles lower on a road of the exact same quality.

TheTravellers
12-16-2011, 12:20 PM
This may not be the reason for the spot you are talking about but one of the reasons we have a lot of different speed per road direction is the geography of OKC's limits and how far out they extend, the cut offs of city limits in many cases run down the middle of the road. The speed is set by the city who owns that half, and the police only have jurisdiction over one way of the road in their city. While varies by exact city, in my area on the west side of the metro the non OKC side will be set 5 to 10 miles lower on a road of the exact same quality.

I understand about different jurisdictions and boundary limits, but that's still pretty much inexcusable (unless it's a revenue generator for one of the cities/counties/towns/villages). And I still don't think there are really "a lot" of differing speed limits on opposite directions at the same point, but maybe I don't drive way out on the edges of our ridiculously enormous metro area enough to find these places. Oh, and the spot I'm talking about does not have differing speed limits, they fixed their error a short while after making it. :-)

RadicalModerate
12-16-2011, 12:29 PM
There's a "Go-To Guy/Gal" down at OKC HQ, traffic who really wants to actually deal with signage mistakes like this.

Obviously, someone else knows his/her name too.

That person deserves a raise, yet must remain anonymous.

TheTravellers
12-17-2011, 12:10 PM
There's a "Go-To Guy/Gal" down at OKC HQ, traffic who really wants to actually deal with signage mistakes like this.

Obviously, someone else knows his/her name too.

That person deserves a raise, yet must remain anonymous.

Guess I should find them and tell them about the "QUAIL SPRINGS PWKY" street sign by Mahogany...