View Full Version : City Bites

Pages : 1 2 [3]

oneforone
12-16-2011, 01:59 AM
I eat at whatever place is close and reasonably priced. The eat local movement is a good thing however, people need to understand that not every national chain is ran by the corporation. The majority of chains are franchises owned by people that were born and raised here. 60% of all brand named restaurants and hotels are branded under one name and owned by another company sometimes their local sometimes their regional or national. US Beef corp out of Tulsa owns several Arby's stores in Oklahoma and neighboring states. They just recently started a Taco Bueno franchise.

SoonerDave
12-16-2011, 07:35 AM
I agree. Metro must have gone on a bad day or something. These restaurant threads always make me laugh though. People forget that everything is subjective when we're talking what food and tastes people like and don't like.

Absolutely true. And, as they say, on any given day, a great place can be bad, and vice-versa.

OKCDrummer77
12-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Forward Foods has some of the best sandwiches around. Go there at lunch and they usually have three or four sammies with unbelievably good, fresh, innovative ingredients and combinations. Yummo.

Rachael Ray? Is that you? :tiphat:

Roadhawg
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Jersey Mike's rules!

My sandwich shop preferences go...

1. Lee's
2. Jersey Mike's
3. Subway
4. Someplace Else (only ranks below Subway because of the single location)

I haven't tried Lee's or Jersey Mike's yet... I'll give them a try soon :)

Jim Kyle
12-16-2011, 10:53 AM
My experience (somewhat limited) with JM's is that the one on Memorial between May and Penn is great, the one on NW Highway between MacArthur and Rockwell not so much so...

And I'd rank Someplace Else at the top of the list, having known Peggy since she quit the insurance industry to open it up back in 1976. They do their own baking and nobody has topped their Snickerdoodle cookies...

Skyline
12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
And I'd rank Someplace Else at the top of the list, having known Peggy since she quit the insurance industry to open it up back in 1976. They do their own baking and nobody has topped their Snickerdoodle cookies...

.....Or their prices. Good value for sandwiches and especially the cookies.

RadicalModerate
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Ref. Post #62 (Rachel Ray) . . .
Combine it with Post #64 ("Someplace Else" and the cleverness involved in the naming as a response to "let's go someplace else" way back in the ancient years starting with 1)
and . . .

Guy Fieri . . . on his next visit to OKC . . . singing the classic:
"Sa-a--a-meee . . . how I love ya' . . . how I love ya' . . . my dear old Sammeeee . .."
and the only place in OKC to experience that sort of Sandwich Bliss approaching the bastions of Yummotown is . . .
[Someplace Else] . . .
[City Bites] . . .
The votes are not yet in.

OSUMom
12-16-2011, 06:49 PM
My experience (somewhat limited) with JM's is that the one on Memorial between May and Penn is great, the one on NW Highway between MacArthur and Rockwell not so much so...

yummmmm snickerdoodles.........

old okie
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM
i'm pretty sure that the first chelino's was on sw 36th (grand blvd) & walker in an old dairy queen... it's still operating there! -M

You are correct; saw the man himself in there one day and asked him. (And as aside, it's the best of his restaurants we think; go there at least once a week.)

As for City Bites, we noticed a pronounced decline in quality and service over a period of about two years; got so bad, that we just stopped going there.

A friend who was in the restaurant supply business once said about the evolution of restaurants: they open, using the best quality ingredients, having excellent service, and paying attention to all details; then, as the business becomes "established," they begin to use lesser-quality ingredients, let staff go, and ignore details. Customers will give them numerous "second chances," believing that the bad food and service they received was due to an "off" day. Eventually, the restaurant goes into decline and closes. Over the years, we've seen this scenario repeated over and over. I think City Bites would definitely qualify for this plan. Restaurants are like gardens: they go to 'seed' and 'weeds' quickly if the owners don't tend them all the time with care.

FRISKY
12-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Pickles,
To make sure there is no misunderstanding, the place we were talking about in the last couple of posts was not the chain "Subway", it was a local store called Subway Deli. I guess we have gotten off the subject, City Bites.
C. T.An old thread about OKC sandwich shops:
http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=24976

Urban Pioneer
12-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh, I love Someplace Else.

I hate that they use I microwave to heat sandwiches. I hate the resulting soggy/moist bread. Take a note SP else! Buy a toaster oven! Great, awesome s'more you have though...

Regarding City Bites, still a great local alternative to the national chains IMO. Service does seem ambivalent and usually high school students. Have noted that rarely are the franchise owners/manager present, at least when I go.

Jim Kyle
12-26-2011, 03:57 PM
I hate that they use I microwave to heat sandwiches. I hate the resulting soggy/moist bread. Take a note SP else! Buy a toaster oven! Great, awesome s'more you have though...

--snipped--

Have noted that rarely are the franchise owners/manager present, at least when I go.At Someplace Else, the owners are almost always present. Next time you're there, tell Peggy (the tall blonde lady presiding at the register) that you'd prefer they use a toaster oven. She and her husband are the co-owners; he does the baking and she handles the cash. It's been that way for a bit more than 35 years...

bluedogok
12-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Regarding City Bites, still a great local alternative to the national chains IMO. Service does seem ambivalent and usually high school students. Have noted that rarely are the franchise owners/manager present, at least when I go.
I remember when the owners (brothers) were still in the stores everyday, just another example of expanding too much and losing quality control.

soonerguru
12-26-2011, 11:35 PM
At Someplace Else, the owners are almost always present. Next time you're there, tell Peggy (the tall blonde lady presiding at the register) that you'd prefer they use a toaster oven. She and her husband are the co-owners; he does the baking and she handles the cash. It's been that way for a bit more than 35 years...

She seems rather set in her ways. Love it or leave it. I do love the hoagies there but agree with UP's premise.

OKCTalker
12-27-2011, 11:16 AM
City Bites is a terrible value, and I'm in one about once every week (old habits die hard). The sandwiches are stuffed with too much lettuce (other chains give an over-proportional amount of bread), and the baked potato with a small drink is $10.

The brothers clearly aren't giving the stores the time and attention that they need. I'd sure like to see them bring in a consultant, ramp everything up for a year, and sell the chain to another company which will turn it around. If this decline continues for much longer, it will get beyond their ability to turn the business around, and well-capitalized buyers won't have any interest.

rcjunkie
12-27-2011, 02:51 PM
City Bites is a terrible value, and I'm in one about once every week (old habits die hard). The sandwiches are stuffed with too much lettuce (other chains give an over-proportional amount of bread), and the baked potato with a small drink is $10.

The brothers clearly aren't giving the stores the time and attention that they need. I'd sure like to see them bring in a consultant, ramp everything up for a year, and sell the chain to another company which will turn it around. If this decline continues for much longer, it will get beyond their ability to turn the business around, and well-capitalized buyers won't have any interest.

Maybe it's just me, but if I find something as bad as you claim City Bites is, I damn sure wouldn't keep going back. (must not it's not as bad as you state)

Thunder
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't understand how a place can be a "terrible" value and this guy still continue to support the company weekly. Something doesn't add up here...

OKCTalker
12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
READ guys. I said it was a terrible VALUE, and parenthetically added, "Old habits die hard." (It's three minutes from my office and I scoop most of the lettuce out of the sandwiches.)

I also think that Coach House is terrific, and despite the high prices is a great value. But I rarely go there.

Completely confused?

rcjunkie
12-28-2011, 07:28 AM
READ guys. I said it was a terrible VALUE, and parenthetically added, "Old habits die hard." (It's three minutes from my office and I scoop most of the lettuce out of the sandwiches.)

I also think that Coach House is terrific, and despite the high prices is a great value. But I rarely go there.

Completely confused?

It's just me then, if was that bad, I wouldn't eat it if it was free and delivered.

TheTravellers
12-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Completely confused?

Ha, funny. I understand completely and agree on both counts (it's 2-3 minutes from my office too). I still go to City Bites, just not as much, because I don't know any other sandwich place that makes a sandwich similar to the Garden Gobbler or some of their daily special sandwiches (SW Chicken Melt, Cajun Chicken something-or-the-other, etc.). Food's still good, just not enough of it for the price they charge nowadays. If anybody knows of such a place that makes those kinds of sandwiches for less than City Bites charges, please post. City Bites makes good snickerdoodles too, and I'm not close enough to Someplace Else to get snickerdoodles from them. :-D

OKCTalker
12-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Today's lunch report: Panera Bread, "Pick Two" (Fuji Apple Chicken salad with a cup of chicken noodle and an apple) and a soft drink for $8.37. Compared with City Bites, it was healthier, more food, a better value and nicer atmosphere.

JayhawkTransplant
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Healthier? I'm not sure what you normally get at City Bites, but sodium-wise and calorie-wise, it looks pretty comparable to City Bites.

OKCNDN
01-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I remember about 5 years ago there was a tomato shortage and City Bites wasn't putting any in their sandwiches. Ever since that happened City Bites never seemed to be the same. City Bites was still charging the regular price but not putting any tomatoes in. It might have given the owners an idea of going with the cheaper ingredients to maximize profits.

sacolton
01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
That wasn't a tomato shortage. That was a health concern over an outbreak of tomato salmonella. All the fast food and grocery stores were taking precautions. It was unavoidable, but a necessary measure to protect the consumers.

TheTravellers
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
City Bites on NW Expressway is closed. Sign's coming down today and the inside is all torn apart.

OKCTalker
01-26-2012, 09:55 AM
That's not good. That leaves a pretty big geographic hole in their NW OKC coverage. If the lease wasn't being renewed (by either party), you'd think that they'd have the successor location announced and under construction.

sacolton
01-26-2012, 10:56 AM
That's a shame. It was a great location. They must have some serious financial problems to cut a prime store like that. How about the one on May & 63rd? I think the one in Edmond is still open (Broadway).

TheTravellers
01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
That's not good. That leaves a pretty big geographic hole in their NW OKC coverage. If the lease wasn't being renewed (by either party), you'd think that they'd have the successor location announced and under construction.

The sign on the inside of the door says (paraphrasing) "We're closed, sorry, thanks, visit our other locations at blahblahblah (mainly addresses on MacArthur, IIRC)", so I don't think they're moving, just closing. I don't think any of their other locations are closing/closed (yet).

metro
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
That's a shame. It was a great location. They must have some serious financial problems to cut a prime store like that. How about the one on May & 63rd? I think the one in Edmond is still open (Broadway).

Don't think any of their other locations have closed, and they have 10 or so in the metro left.

MikeOKC
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I can tell you that the NW 59th & May location has shown signs of a slow death. Just by noticing the lunch traffic, their business has really dropped off. Chick-fil-A has hurt them, S&B Burger Joint is across the street, and while they're not deli restaurants I think they've hurt City Bites just by being so close. It's really kind of sad, but I have to blame the management as they just haven't been up to past standards.

Bigrayok
01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
My mom used to love their chicken noodle soup. They changed it in recent years and now she will not eat it. She still eats at City Bites regularly, but she is frustrated with it. She was really turned off when they quit selling the Original Lays Potato Chips and only served baked chips for a while. They brought the Original Lays back after people like her complained.

I used to like the meatball sandwich but they quit selling it. I still get the Fleetwood which is an Italian type sandwich with small pieces of sausage. I prefer an Italian sausage sandwich that is not chopped up like they sell at the State Fair. I have been eating at City Bites since they opened the original location on N.W. 23rd in Bethany. They seem to be going up in price and giving people less meat on their sandwiches. I think they try to hard sometimes to be trendy instead of giving a quality product at a good price. I still eat there, but not as much as I used to. My favorite sandwich place these days is Neptune on Classen. I especially like their bread.

Bigray in Ok

sacolton
01-27-2012, 06:03 AM
The Fleetwood is my favorite sammich too. It's the only thing I'll order at City Bites.

OKCTalker
02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
The CB location on N. Western has a sign in the door that they'll be remodelling this weekend. That's a good sign (yes, pun intended).

OKCNDN
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
The CB location on N. Western has a sign in the door that they'll be remodelling this weekend. That's a good sign (yes, pun intended).

I sure hope they reopen. There is a good chance that they close the doors and never reopen. I am not saying I know anything about this location or chain. It's just that I've heard the "we're remodeling" excuse before and then the business is closed for good.

OKCTalker
02-23-2012, 09:08 AM
I sure hope they reopen. There is a good chance that they close the doors and never reopen. I am not saying I know anything about this location or chain. It's just that I've heard the "we're remodeling" excuse before and then the business is closed for good.

OKCNDN - CB recently closed their NWX location by simply turning off the lights and locking the door. I believe that the Western Avenue remodel will be just that.

SoonerDave
02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Anyone know if the location downtown at Leadership Square is still open? Or the one on S. Walker just south of I-240?

Methinks the end is near for this particular chain...

Steve
02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Must have been a quick remodeling; N Western location is open again.

istillhatepeas
02-24-2012, 05:15 AM
The CB on Walker/I-240 is still open. Although, they can hardly put together a sandwich so I don't see how. Service has always been friendly though.

metro
02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Anyone know if the location downtown at Leadership Square is still open? Or the one on S. Walker just south of I-240?

Methinks the end is near for this particular chain.... They still have lots more locations than this.

OSUMom
02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
The Leadership Square one is still open.

OKCTalker
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Must have been a quick remodeling; N Western location is open again.

Steve - Their "remodeling" appears to be the replacement of a sneeze guard that separates employees on the sandwich line from the customers. That's a "repair" in my book.

MonkeesFan
11-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Every time I pass by City Bites, it looks dead, I have not been there in a while though but was wondering if it still open? Last time I went, I was not impressed with the food, I would be suprised if it is still open.....

Easy180
11-10-2012, 05:32 AM
It is open as we go there from time to time...Was actually packed last time we drove through but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a For Lease pop up at any point in time

bille
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
The first time I went there and they were closed at 7 or 8 at night I didn't expect them to last much longer...but they have somehow.

I've only been to this location twice but the food was good. Seemed a little lacking in quantity and higher on price then what I remember City Bites being and between that and their hours I haven't been too concerned with returning.

HamWx
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I believe they do a large take-out lunch business for groups and organizations. Likely what's keeping them going. I tried it and didn't walk away with a memory of anything beyond the thought that their margins must be incredible.

TheTravellers
11-20-2020, 08:51 AM
Figured I'd put this here, didn't want to start a new thread since I don't know anything. :)

Drove by the former City Bites location on NW 22nd/Classen and noticed a new "Open" sign in the window as well as gold lettering, etc. on the windows/door. Only got a glimpse, but it looked like "...ase Room", and I'm googled out, can't find anything by address, name variation, etc., wondering if anybody knows what went in there?

TheTravellers
12-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Figured I'd put this here, didn't want to start a new thread since I don't know anything. :)

Drove by the former City Bites location on NW 22nd/Classen and noticed a new "Open" sign in the window as well as gold lettering, etc. on the windows/door. Only got a glimpse, but it looked like "...ase Room", and I'm googled out, can't find anything by address, name variation, etc., wondering if anybody knows what went in there?

Got a better look, it's "Rose Room", and the lettering made it look like a restaurant, but apparently it's an offshoot of Howard Brothers Florist - https://www.yelp.com/biz/howard-brothers-florist-oklahoma-city