View Full Version : Best places to live in the metro

Pages : [1] 2

ETL
11-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Hello,

I hope this is a good place to put this, but I was wondering where the nicest places in the metro area are to live. I may be looking to buy a house in a few years. Assuming I work downtown, where do you suggest? I would like to buy the cheapest/most modest home in the nicest neighborhood I can afford.

Thanks!

easternobserver
11-25-2011, 03:16 PM
We live in the neighborhood north of 44th and Sooner and love it. Its all new houses built after the May 3rd tornado, and it doesnt look like a cookie cutter subdivision because each lot was built on by a different builder. Its about 9 minutes to downtown and easy to avoid traffic by shooting down Reno. Good elementary school, good mix of young families and military retirees....altogether a great place to live. Most homes are in the 1700 sq foot range with a value of about 150k.

kevinpate
11-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Since you ask about metro and not OKC proper, I've been rather fond of Norman since 86. I've been happy enough to simply change locations a few times, the last being 97, but I don't see us ever completely uprooting. If we did, it would likely only be to return to SE OK some day. I do miss my hills from time to time.

Fantastic
11-25-2011, 09:58 PM
I spent most of my High School years on the west side between Yukon and Mustang. When we moved there really wasn't anything there, but it has built up into a nice suburban area in the last few years. My parents still live out there, and I always enjoy going out there to visit them. Really love the proximity to Yukon and they're really close to all the restaurants of the "Hospitality District" north of the airport. It's also close to the Turnpike, so getting to the Memorial corridor is very quick, and it's about 10 minutes to Downtown if you take I-40.

rcjunkie
11-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Since you ask about metro and not OKC proper, I've been rather fond of Norman since 86. I've been happy enough to simply change locations a few times, the last being 97, but I don't see us ever completely uprooting. If we did, it would likely only be to return to SE OK some day. I do miss my hills from time to time.

I agree about Norman, awesome community and always something to do. While I now call Lake Tenkiller home, I still own a house in Norman and spend 3--4 months a year there.

Bellaboo
11-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Yukon is affordable, good schools and easy access to commute, 15 miles from downtown OKC.

RealEstateCop1
11-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Yukon, Piedmont, NW & SW OKC are great places to live.

BBatesokc
11-26-2011, 01:58 PM
This is a pretty subjective question. To some 'nicest' comes down to low cost, low maintenance. Others place priority on lavishness or perpetuating an image. Others place priorities on proximity to shopping ,schools, work, etc.

I have friends who live in Edmond and Norman who prefer very expensive looking homes in upscale neighborhoods with the 'look how successful I am' appeal regardless of the commute to work, the store, etc. Others we know in Edmond love the cookie cutter style new neighborhoods. I know others who absolutely want to be downtown and will forego a yard, privacy and quick access to grocery stores etc. to be downtown. While others want to live in historic homes, or near good quality schools or even within walking or biking distance of their work and don't care much about the rest.

For my wife and I we preferred low cost, low maintenance home that we could sell easily and own outright very quickly. We also wanted to be close to basic shopping and within 10-15 minutes of downtown OKC. We settled on a very small foreclosure home in an old neighborhood that we would instantly have good equity in an would own quickly. We live near SE 44 and Sooner (near EasternObserver apparently, but in a lower 'class' neighborhood). Its a 30 yr old home and we only paid $50+K for it but could sell it for double within days of putting it on the market. We pick a room and remodel it ourselves on a tight budget - adding laminate floors, granite, tile, etc. as needed.

'Nicest' for us is no house payment, very low utilities and the fun of fixing it up. Throw in a yard, a Koi pond and a brick pool house and it suits us perfectly.

This is our latest remodel on the living room... http://www.dermandar.com/p/bYBfqP/livingroom-remodel

If I could pick anywhere to live, I would be downtown. But I simply can't (yet) justify spending $300+ just to be there when I can drive to downtown within 12 minutes. Second to downtown would be Edmond (but only very near I-35 as I hate Edmond traffic, etc.). Third would be near I-35 in far north Norman.

Achilleslastand
11-26-2011, 03:56 PM
This is a pretty subjective question. To some 'nicest' comes down to low cost, low maintenance. Others place priority on lavishness or perpetuating an image. Others place priorities on proximity to shopping ,schools, work, etc.

I have friends who live in Edmond and Norman who prefer very expensive looking homes in upscale neighborhoods with the 'look how successful I am' appeal regardless of the commute to work, the store, etc. Others we know in Edmond love the cookie cutter style new neighborhoods. I know others who absolutely want to be downtown and will forego a yard, privacy and quick access to grocery stores etc. to be downtown. While others want to live in historic homes, or near good quality schools or even within walking or biking distance of their work and don't care much about the rest.

For my wife and I we preferred low cost, low maintenance home that we could sell easily and own outright very quickly. We also wanted to be close to basic shopping and within 10-15 minutes of downtown OKC. We settled on a very small foreclosure home in an old neighborhood that we would instantly have good equity in an would own quickly. We live near SE 44 and Sooner (near EasternObserver apparently, but in a lower 'class' neighborhood). Its a 30 yr old home and we only paid $50+K for it but could sell it for double within days of putting it on the market. We pick a room and remodel it ourselves on a tight budget - adding laminate floors, granite, tile, etc. as needed.

'Nicest' for us is no house payment, very low utilities and the fun of fixing it up. Throw in a yard, a Koi pond and a brick pool house and it suits us perfectly.

This is our latest remodel on the living room... http://www.dermandar.com/p/bYBfqP/livingroom-remodel

If I could pick anywhere to live, I would be downtown. But I simply can't (yet) justify spending $300+ just to be there when I can drive to downtown within 12 minutes. Second to downtown would be Edmond (but only very near I-35 as I hate Edmond traffic, etc.). Third would be near I-35 in far north Norman.

Nice job especially like the wood flooring.

BBatesokc
11-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Nice job especially like the wood flooring.

Thanks, took an entire weekend and is not nice on the back, but it was cheaper than carpet and much easier to take care of and more sanitary. Saw a show on how nasty the typical carpet in a home is - DISGUSTING!

Achilleslastand
11-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks, took an entire weekend and is not nice on the back, but it was cheaper than carpet and much easier to take care of and more sanitary. Saw a show on how nasty the typical carpet in a home is - DISGUSTING!

I would have thought the wood flooring would have been more expensive then the carpet.
Was it pretty hard to install?

Questor
11-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I hope this is a good place to put this, but I was wondering where the nicest places in the metro area are to live. I may be looking to buy a house in a few years. Assuming I work downtown, where do you suggest? I would like to buy the cheapest/most modest home in the nicest neighborhood I can afford.

Thanks!

I haven't really been able to find an area in the metro that has it all. So that means you kind of have to choose what you want, and then look based on that. What types of things are you looking for in a house and its surrounding community?

BBatesokc
11-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I would have thought the wood flooring would have been more expensive then the carpet.
Was it pretty hard to install?

Its a nice laminate and is cheaper than a middle of the road carpet installed. It was easy to install, just a slow process to do it right and that room involved a lot of angled cuts.

ETL
11-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you all for your help!

OKCMallen
11-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Hello,

Thanks!

Check out the Zach Taylor Neighborhood. Lots of houses around $100k, but you're caught up b/n Chesapeake, Classen Curve, Whole Foods, Crown Heights, and N. Western Ave area. In short: every house should probably be at least $20-40k more than it is.

Defined by NW50th on the south, I-235 on the east, Francis/Shartel Avenues on the west, and I-44 on the north.

RadicalModerate
11-29-2011, 02:34 PM
The Village . . . ?
Nichols Hills . . .?

Of course, should you chose to live in The Village you will have to deal with all of The Whimsical Nichols Hills Traffic Regulations. Yet it is a small price to pay. For convenience. Plus there is the Always Under Construction Nichols Hills By-Pass (aka Broadway Extension/Centennial Freeway) that is a more direct--if less scenic--route to OKC itself.

SSEiYah
11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Edgemere park has pretty nice older houses..6 minutes to downtown, if that is too much you can look where I live "Central Park" neighborhood, its a little more rundown but lots of the houses have been remodeled such as mine.

RadicalModerate
11-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Edgemere Park is WONDERFUL . . .
However, like many "Historical Neighborhoods" they--the local watchdog gossips and code enforcement pawns--refuse to recognize such things as the invention of low-E insulated glass when you get ready to do a home improvement. I'm sure they have a good reason for that. Even if nobody in the OKC Permit Review Cabal/Commission can explain what that reason is.

Sort of like many of our other Antique and Quaint Law and Regulations . . .

As I said: Wonderful.

foodiefan
11-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Lots of neat places to live OKC . .but Windsor Hills (NW23rd/36th and Meridian/Ann Arbor), while not "historic", is a great older neighborhood. . .circa 1962-65. Lots of big trees, people walking morning and evenings, close to NW 39th Expwy/ I-44/I-40. . . 10 minutes from Penn Square, 15 from downtown. Neighborhood is very stable. . .still a lot of of "original" homeowners. . .I am just the second owner of my home. . .active Neighborhood Association.

OKCDrummer77
11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm on NW 19th between Portland and Meridian, a quiet, tree-lined boulevard. We're close to some rougher areas, but here, the biggest problem I see regularly is people who think that the speed limit on my street is 45+ just because it has a median.

From here, it's easy to hop on I-44 or I-40 and get anywhere in the metro.

BBatesokc
11-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Lots of neat places to live OKC . .but Windsor Hills (NW23rd/36th and Meridian/Ann Arbor), while not "historic", is a great older neighborhood. . .circa 1962-65. Lots of big trees, people walking morning and evenings, close to NW 39th Expwy/ I-44/I-40. . . 10 minutes from Penn Square, 15 from downtown. Neighborhood is very stable. . .still a lot of of "original" homeowners. . .I am just the second owner of my home. . .active Neighborhood Association.

I lived in Windsor Hills briefly and really liked it. Plenty of neighborhood streets, homes in many different price ranges and the geographic location was nice. I used to ride my bike to the movie theatre. Is it still in business?

foodiefan
11-29-2011, 05:52 PM
I lived in Windsor Hills briefly and really liked it. Plenty of neighborhood streets, homes in many different price ranges and the geographic location was nice. I used to ride my bike to the movie theatre. Is it still in business?

The movie theater (having been through a couple of iterations) is alive and well. . .It's one of the "B&B" Theaters. .first run, but smaller markets (in OK it's Claremore, Sapulpa,Miami, El Reno). We have an active Neighborhood Association and the theater has been kind enough to host our quarterly meetings. The shopping center at 23rd/Meridian has a Crest . . .they have been very supportive of the NA as well (prizes for our meetings!!). Windsor HIlls is a wonderful little "hidden gem" in the "outer ring" of central OKC.

foodiefan
11-29-2011, 06:24 PM
QUOTE=foodiefan;487045]The movie theater (having been through a couple of iterations) is alive and well. . .It's one of the "B&B" Theaters. .first run, but smaller markets (in OK it's Claremore, Sapulpa,Miami, El Reno). We have an active Neighborhood Association and the theater has been kind enough to host our quartely meetings. The shopping center at 23rd/Meridian has a Crest . . .they have been very supportive of the NA as well (prizes for our meetings!!). Windsor HIlls is a wonderful little "hidden gem" in the "outer ring" of central OKC.[/QUOTE]

I have to add. . .while I understand not everyone does, I much prefer the "inner-city-ish" neighborhoods that have some sense of history and personality. . and please, please. . .TREES. I know that we lose some due to age and weather (the last couple of years of ice storms have NOT been kind!!). . .but please, spare me a neighborhood filled with 15 year trees (i.e., Bradford Pears) in every front yard. I want a neighborhood with personality, activity, and diversity. I know I'm not "downtown" or in an historic district, but every to neighborhood and every area in the inner-city surburbs that are activly promoting their own area/neighborhood, I applaud you. . .please keep up the good work!! We can "take back the night".

poe
11-29-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm all for older neighborhoods that have character and trees. Just seems to add (and perhaps help define) that "neighborhood" feeling.

krisb
11-29-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm guessing my neighborhood is a little below your price range, but I will put in a plug for it anyway. The Skyline Neighborhood (just west of Will Rogers Park near NW 32nd and Portland) is a wonderful, up and coming area. Established in 1951, Skyline is a mid-century urban neighborhood with prices ranging from the 70's through the 120's. We are close to Will Rogers Park (tennis, disc golf, swimming pool, playground) and I-44. We have lots of diversity and a newly reorganized neighborhood association. There are several artists who live in this area who are working to informally brand the area as the WePo district (west of Portland). Over the next few years we anticipate new sidewalks in the neighborhood. This is a pocket of the city with some attractive amenities and a bright future!

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/276807_131104040299126_1389921_n.jpg

adaniel
11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
If you want modest yet neat check out Douglas Edgemere. Bumps right up to Crown Heights, easy access to 44, 235, downtown, Chesapeake, Western, etc. Seems like a lot of young professional people who are priced out of Crown Heights, Edgemere Park, etc. end up setting here.

I actually got lost one day and and discovered that area, along with (what I believe was) Meridian Hills and was absolutely stunned. Great mid century homes along with some of the most beautiful oak trees you will see that far west. I wouldn't have assumed that such hoods existed off of 39th Expy, which isn't the best looking of streets. It reminded me of the Preston Hollow area of Dallas, or at least the part that hasn't been ravaged by teardowns. Many of those homes are like $300K and up.

I'm in the market for something, and while my heart is set on the inner city area, that area along with Belle Isle are on my short list should I not find something closer to downtown.

You said that there are many original homeowners. Would you say that houses don't come on the market very often? How is the resident makeup of that area? Young/old, diverse, etc.?

foodiefan
11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I actually got lost one day and and discovered that area, along with (what I believe was) Meridian Hills and was absolutely stunned. Great mid century homes along with some of the most beautiful oak trees you will see that far west.

You said that there are many original homeowners. Would you say that houses don't come on the market very often? How is the resident makeup of that area? Young/old, diverse, etc.?

East of Ann Arbor it's Ann Arbor Estates and Meridian Hills. . .The bigger homes are in AAE. . .there is one with a green roof. . .some one told me it belonged to Patti Page's family years back, but I don't know if that is true. This whole area truly is a little hidden gem.

I think there are about 600 homes in WH. . .don't know what you consider "often", but just from driving in the neighborhood, I would say there are usually 6-8 homes for sale most of the time. It is a diverse neighborhood. . .age wise and ethnically. There are a lot of original owners/long time residents. . .and several of the "kids" who grew up here have bought homes in the neighborhood. I would say there are probably more older people than young (i.e. 30-40), but that is changing as the older folks sell their homes due to various circumstances (death, assisted living/nursing home). There are children in the area as I see them waiting for the bus and playing in the yard/riding bikes. You ought to check it out!:bright_id

OSUMom
11-30-2011, 08:30 PM
East of Ann Arbor it's Ann Arbor Estates and Meridian Hills. . .The bigger homes are in AAE. . .there is one with a green roof. . .some one told me it belonged to Patti Page's family years back, but I don't know if that is true. This whole area truly is a little hidden gem.

I think there are about 600 homes in WH. . .don't know what you consider "often", but just from driving in the neighborhood, I would say there are usually 6-8 homes for sale most of the time. It is a diverse neighborhood. . .age wise and ethnically. There are a lot of original owners/long time residents. . .and several of the "kids" who grew up here have bought homes in the neighborhood. I would say there are probably more older people than young (i.e. 30-40), but that is changing as the older folks sell their homes due to various circumstances (death, assisted living/nursing home). There are children in the area as I see them waiting for the bus and playing in the yard/riding bikes. You ought to check it out!:bright_id

That's funny. I was always told that house with the grass on the roof belonged to Wiley Post's aunt, or it did when the grass was put up there.

foodiefan
12-01-2011, 07:51 AM
That's funny. I was always told that house with the grass on the roof belonged to Wiley Post's aunt, or it did when the grass was put up there.. . .:whiteflag. . . maybe. . thanks for the additional information! As I said, I wasn't sure if it was true, just what I had been told. . .but now I will add Wiley Post's aunt. Great stories are part of what contributes to the personality of a neighborhood.

OSUMom
12-01-2011, 04:51 PM
. . .:whiteflag. . . maybe. . thanks for the additional information! As I said, I wasn't sure if it was true, just what I had been told. . .but now I will add Wiley Post's aunt. Great stories are part of what contributes to the personality of a neighborhood.

and I have no idea if the Wiley Post Aunt story is true. Just like you, what I was always told.... :)

I'm trying to remember if the grass is still there. I don't think it is.

foodiefan
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
and I have no idea if the Wiley Post Aunt story is true. Just like you, what I was always told.... :)

I'm trying to remember if the grass is still there. I don't think it is.

It's been a while since I've been by there. . .I'll have to do a drive by soon and will let you know. Maybe on Sunday afternoon. . .if I dry out after THE GAME (I'm an OSU Mom too. . also an OU Mom, but originally/still a Texan, so. . .it's always exciting at our house!) :dizzy:

RadicalModerate
12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
I always thought that that little area, a couple of blocks south of NE 23rd, in the vicinity of OCU (that neighborhood with all the little pointy roofs, brick, and detached garages) looked appealing: Quaint . . . Charming and So Forth. Plus all the houses had small, one car, detached garages.

My guess is that the downside of that area has something to do with a lower-authority ban on energy efficient windows and doors (that also lend security to the property) in the name of Historical Accuracy.

Here's the funny thing about Historical Accuracy and Preservation: The Carpenter (not Whatever) Builders who built those homes--way back when--used the best components they had available. If they had access to what is available now they would have used it.

It is impossible to tell the difference between a Vinyl-Clad Wood Window and a Multi-Layered, Lead Painted Wood Window from the curb.

And that has a certain appeal of its own.

TheTravellers
12-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Edgemere Park is WONDERFUL . . .
However, like many "Historical Neighborhoods" they--the local watchdog gossips and code enforcement pawns--refuse to recognize such things as the invention of low-E insulated glass when you get ready to do a home improvement. I'm sure they have a good reason for that. Even if nobody in the OKC Permit Review Cabal/Commission can explain what that reason is.

Sort of like many of our other Antique and Quaint Law and Regulations . . .

As I said: Wonderful.

Hmm, glad we decided that area wasn't for us (too expensive, actually). :-) I grew up around NW 67th/May and after driving many, many neighborhoods (Paseo, Midtown, Edgemere, Crown Heights, Mesta, Mayfair, etc.), we decided to go kind of Belle Isle-ish (63rd/Villa/NW Expwy/May, not the original Wileman's Belle Isle) because of the nice 60s ranch houses, fairly affordable pricing, centrality, accessibility to a lot of retail/restaurants within a mile or two.

RadicalModerate
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Excellent Choice!

(Pretty sure that
Norm "Nahm" Abrams,
Holmes The Canadian
and maybe even
Bob Villa
would agree. =)

Those "Historical 'Preservation'"
Gnomes and Trolls
are awfully expensive to keep feeding.
(Especially with the Federally Mandated
Lead Removal [Tax] Lurking in the Background)

And thank goodness they fixed that
old, flooding creek in your vicinity
with decorative gabions
instead of a friggin' concrete flume! =)

Disclaimer:
This post has nothing to do with Politics
or Objective Real Estate Values.

TheTravellers
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
And thank goodness they fixed that
old, flooding creek in your vicinity
with decorative gabions
instead of a friggin' concrete flume! =)

Disclaimer:
This post has nothing to do with Politics
or Objective Real Estate Values.

Flooding creek? Splain, Lucy, I'm clueless about that, didn't know there was one around there....

windowphobe
12-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Flooding creek? Splain, Lucy, I'm clueless about that, didn't know there was one around there....

Probably Deep Fork Creek, the headwaters of which are around 36th and Ann Arbor; though my neck of the woods, and presumably others, it's been lined with concrete.

OSUMom
12-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Probably Deep Fork Creek, the headwaters of which are around 36th and Ann Arbor; though my neck of the woods, and presumably others, it's been lined with concrete.

If that's the creek I think it is, I used to play in it. Before concrete.

RadicalModerate
12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
No . . . It's the (former) creek that you can view a couple of blocks north of the Belle Isle Library.

This (formerly scenic) creek--I seem to recall that the real old-time, pre-development name started with a C--turned into a raging river whenever it rained a lot (due to the excess runoff from all the development along the NW Expressway) and was washing away the properties of the folks who happened to live next to it.

Many years ago, I took an active part in an advisory study on that topic and we recommended gabions and designated detention ponds along the course of that waterway to address the residents' concerns. (Instead of ugly concrete flumes).

At least they (The City) apparently bought into the decorative, yet functional, garbions.

TheTravellers
12-05-2011, 09:30 AM
No . . . It's the (former) creek that you can view a couple of blocks north of the Belle Isle Library.

This (formerly scenic) creek--I seem to recall that the real old-time, pre-development name started with a C--turned into a raging river whenever it rained a lot (due to the excess runoff from all the development along the NW Expressway) and was washing away the properties of the folks who happened to live next to it.

Many years ago, I took an active part in an advisory study on that topic and we recommended gabions and designated detention ponds along the course of that waterway to address the residents' concerns. (Instead of ugly concrete flumes).

At least they (The City) apparently bought into the decorative, yet functional, garbions.

Thanks for the info, we'll have to make sure we ask about it when we look at houses over there...

NWOKCGuy
12-05-2011, 04:58 PM
My favorite neighborhoods are Linwood and Cleveland.

RadicalModerate
12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Excellent neighborhoods as well . . .

How about that Little-Known, Non-Gated, One-Street-In, area immediately north of Penn Square Mall?

The one time that I accidentally made a right turn off of northbound Penn, in an attempt to locate a short-cut to Western, and wound up making a short-circle through the development I was charmed (rather that pissed off [at no through street]).

And I don't think there were even any Christmas Lights up yet.

foodiefan
12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=RadicalModerate;488470]Excellent neighborhoods as well . . .

How about that Little-Known, Non-Gated, One-Street-In, area immediately north of Penn Square Mall?QUOTE]

I believe that is still Wileman's Belle Isle.

JayhawkTransplant
12-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Crestwood :)

RadicalModerate
12-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Wileman's Belle Isle is on the other (that is, the west) side of Penn.

Just did a bit of research: I think I was referring to "Wileman's 8th"--at least according to GoogleMaps.

foodiefan
12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Wileman's Belle Isle is on the other (that is, the west) side of Penn.

Just did a bit of research: I think I was referring to "Wileman's 8th"--at least according to GoogleMaps.

Your right on the Wileman's 8th, but there numerous "Wileman #X" designations on the West side of Penn as well. . .I think that those areas North of NW Expwy kind of go by Wileman's Belle Isle to distinguish them from the Wileman's additions south of the Expwy. I have friends on the West side of Penn who live (according to county records)in Wilemans #. . .no Belle Isle designation, and another who lives in "Belle Isle Addition". . . but the sign going into their area says WBI. All in all, both are beautiful areas.

RadicalModerate
12-06-2011, 09:03 AM
My point exactly.... =)

(I still haven't figured out what the name of that old, pre-development creek was . . .
Seems like it was "Clover-.....something".... Pretty sure it wasn't "Belle Isle Creek" which I think was always much bigger and further to the north.)

TheTravellers
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Excellent neighborhoods as well . . .

How about that Little-Known, Non-Gated, One-Street-In, area immediately north of Penn Square Mall?QUOTE]

I believe that is still Wileman's Belle Isle.

One of our criteria when buying a house is it must have more than one way to get in and out. Had to deal with that situation in IL and hated it, will never do it again. It's something that most folks don't think about until they live in a place where they have one way out and it's a timed traffic light and they have to sit there for 3 minutes every time they want to turn left out of their addition/subdivision/neighborhood.

RadicalModerate
12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
"One of our criteria when buying a house is it* must have more than one way to get in and out. Had to deal with that situation in IL and hated it, will never do it again. It's something that most folks don't think about until they live in a place where they have one way out and it's a timed traffic light and they have to sit there for 3 minutes every time they want to turn left out of their addition/subdivision/neighborhood."

*I assume that when you say "it" you mean The Neighborhood rather than the house/domicile itself.

However . . . When it comes to Wileman 8 . . . It is within easy walking distance of what remains one of the best Malls in the Metro. =) Especially if They would build a little bridge across the waterway to facilitate pedestrian traffic from the north.

Please be assured that while all houses in that charming development have both front and back doors, the inconvenience of that one way in and out traffic light may be offset by the fact that it makes that particular neighborhood unattractive to burglars . . . ?

Oh! And if you are anticipating only a three minute delay at a light like that in OKC you are dreaming. =)

coov23
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm really surprised that less has been said about the Piedmont/Deer Creek area. More open space if you have a family. Good, clean school districts and the two fastest growing areas in the metro for obvious reasons.

MDot
12-07-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm really surprised that less has been said about the Piedmont/Deer Creek area. More open space if you have a family. Good, clean school districts and the two fastest growing areas in the metro for obvious reasons.

Piedmont IS the fastest growing area in the metro and a lot of people call it the next Edmond. It's definately a nice little area that's on the rise. I believe they are building a new neighborhood out there along Mustang Road just north of NW Expressway.

I've heard that Deer Creek has the best school district in the Oklahoma City area and I have been out to Deer Creek before to do some construction projects and they are building houses left and right out there.

progressiveboy
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I absolutely love Lake Aluma! Heavily wooded lots and trees that have been there for 60 plus years. That part of OKC is hilly and lots of green. Peaceful and serene is how I remember it when I lived in OKC.

Bellaboo
12-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Piedmont IS the fastest growing area in the metro and a lot of people call it the next Edmond. It's definately a nice little area that's on the rise. I believe they are building a new neighborhood out there along Mustang Road just north of NW Expressway.

I've heard that Deer Creek has the best school district in the Oklahoma City area and I have been out to Deer Creek before to do some construction projects and they are building houses left and right out there.

Mustang Rd just north of NW Expwy is really OKC. Piedmont is further north. Piedmont has a seriuos 'lack of water' infrastructure issue and the growth in the area won't explode until it's resolved.

RadicalModerate
12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Plus Piedmont is, in general, fairly bleak and treeless.
Especially to the North and West.
Which is not to say that the people out there are better or worse.
Just sayin' . . .

Lake Aluma is pretty much . . .
Forest Park without the speed trap.
And a "lake"

Frankly . . .
I think that Spencer is in need of some positive influx.

Not to mention Inacoma Park . . .

MDot
12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Mustang Rd just north of NW Expwy is really OKC. Piedmont is further north. Piedmont has a seriuos 'lack of water' infrastructure issue and the growth in the area won't explode until it's resolved.

Trust me, I know where Piedmont is, you don't have to tell me. But it gets really confusing on Mustand Rd if you're not looking at a map about which part is Oklahoma City and which part is Piedmont so most people along Mustang Rd consider themselves Piedmont which is why I say Piedmont, but yes it is part of Oklahoma City on the particular stretch I'm speaking of. But it looks like a good sized neighborhood being built, probably the largest I've seen built at once out there.

RadicalModerate
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
It gets even more confusing on Mustang Road (wink, wink)
(If you correct the typo, above, you have no integrity, Sir. =)

MDot
12-08-2011, 01:53 PM
LOL, I wrote "Mustang Road" in my first post but for some reason I wrote "Mustand Rd" in my latest. LOL

Also RM, just in case you didn't notice, the western half of OKC is very bleak and baron but the eastern side of OKC is very hilly and "treefull," there's a reason for that. LOL

RadicalModerate
12-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Too late for an apology . . .
or even an explanation . . .
yet . . .

Please allow me to confir? upon you the first ever
Bud Abbot Medal for Straight Line Integrity.

(Saaaaaaaa-lute! =)

(The funny part is if "newbies"
armed with nothing but GPS's"
were trying to find the posted location . . .
heh heh heh)

Yet . . . Speaking of the vicinity . . .
I can still recall the days when Surrey Hills implied deviations from the actual geography.

Bellaboo
12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
LOL, I wrote "Mustang Road" in my first post but for some reason I wrote "Mustand Rd" in my latest. LOL

Also RM, just in case you didn't notice, the western half of OKC is very bleak and baron but the eastern side of OKC is very hilly and "treefull," there's a reason for that. LOL

It's called the Crosstimbers geographic region.

RadicalModerate
12-08-2011, 02:15 PM
To Mdot: It's "baron" because of all the oil pumping. (Refer to "Giant" or "There Will Be Blood" for details)
Western Oklahoma used to be as treefull as the eastern half of the state, but They cut down all the trees to build oil derricks using labor illegally imported from Canada. In these more enlightened times, the clay from that region is still being used in the construction of Aubreyville. Which is a good thing. Plus the removal of the trees reduced the Vet Bills of the proto-cattle ranchers who were getting really tired of having to drive herds of cattle to the doctor on account of head injuries that early lawyers kept blaming on too many trees.

To Bellaboo: Yup. But only to the east. Where it's more difficult to build a drilling rig out of wood on account of all the hills and having to clear the forests.

Back on Topic: Anywhere in The OKC Metro is a better place to live than where you are residing now.
And I mean You in the general sense of the pronoun. =)

MDot
12-08-2011, 02:16 PM
It's called the Crosstimbers geographic region.

I can't remember what the western side is part of but I remembered the Cross Timbers. I studied it not too long ago but I've already forgotten how it went.