View Full Version : Ruth Chris and REI

oakhollow
11-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Strange combination but I have been hearing tons of REI commercials and seeing tons of Ruth Chris commercials on TV. Isn't this usually a sign they are interested in the area or am I just wishful thinking?

metro
11-18-2011, 11:11 AM
They've been playing them for over a year, probably a national buy.

Midtowner
11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
More chain stores. Hooray.

MikeOKC
11-18-2011, 12:57 PM
More chain stores. Hooray.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Or, took the keyboard right out of my hands. I agree, Mid.

MikeLucky
11-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Oh for the love of gawd... you guys are SERIOUSLY complaining about a Ruth Chris'....

You guys have gone so far to one side that you have lost your objectivity. Just because it's local, doesn't mean it's better... And, the truth is most people I know that visit OKC from other places are usually amazed at how many local places we have here already. It's a good thing, but to AUTOMATICALLY groan because it's a chain is just stupid.

Midtowner
11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Just because it's local, doesn't mean it's better....

...in your opinion.

MikeLucky
11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
...in your opinion.

So I guess you'd rather see a mackie mcnear's opened rather than a chain that sells PRIME steaks... lol.

metro
11-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I definitely wouldn't complain if we had an REI.

Bellaboo
11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
My wife and I didn't have such a good experience at Ruth Chris in DC.........not sure if i'd ever go back.

But it was lobster, not steak....

jbkrems
11-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I've heard for years that Ruth Chris has been on the list of national stores/concepts that Aubrey McClendon has been trying to woo to come to Oklahoma City. In addition, I've heard California Pizza Kitchen and REI, probably, too. But these are just rumors, and not anything firm. Its all secondhand information.

ChargerAg
11-18-2011, 03:17 PM
any chance REI could be the mystery retailer next to whole foods and anthopolige?

Midtowner
11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
So I guess you'd rather see a mackie mcnear's opened rather than a chain that sells PRIME steaks... lol.

I'd rather see Red Prime than Ruth's Chris.

Compare like things which would actually compete against each other.

poe
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I bet Fleming's would come before Ruth's Chris, especially since Tulsa has one. But, there is a Ruth's Chris in Rogers, Arkansas, so I could just be blowing smoke. I remember reading a while back that CPK was interested in OKC.

REI would be fun.

Richard at Remax
11-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Its amazing how people could get such a hard on for whole foods (quality chain store) but stick up thier nose at a quality restaurant chain. Landing these store just proves how far OKC has come. Get over yourselves, no one is forcing you to go.

Easy180
11-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Would be just fine with a Ruth's Chris around for special occasions and when I need to get out of the doghouse

jstanthrnme
11-18-2011, 08:30 PM
any chance REI could be the mystery retailer next to whole foods and anthopolige?

I am wondering this same thing! I would LOVE to have an REI here!

chuck johnson
11-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Its amazing how people could get such a hard on for whole foods (quality chain store) but stick up thier nose at a quality restaurant chain. Landing these store just proves how far OKC has come. Get over yourselves, no one is forcing you to go.

The problem with large chains is that they can and are willing to not only pay more in rent, thus getting prime space and driving rents up, they are also able to sustain losses much longer. They have massive ad money and drown out smaller, local restaurants. This is all more than fair and a result of a free market. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

However, we should be supporting and celebrating local grown talent and business by choice. We have to ask ourselves if we're building a city just like any other with all the same options or building a city intrinsically unique to OKC. Outside chains definitely can serve as anchors and stimulate investment, but we can't forget the the local little guys and favor them as much as possible.

I lived in one of the great food capitals of the world, San Francisco for almost a decade. According to Urbanspoon, it has 4,000 eating establishments in an area 1/12 the size of OKC and 1/4th the size of Norman. Less than 5% are chains, the rest local. You can build a great and dynamic food scene when the residents decide to make it so. I've eaten at many chains and will continue to do so, but only after I can't find a local option.

Spartan
11-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Driving up rents and commanding better developments is desperately needed in OKC, though.

chuck johnson
11-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Driving up rents and commanding better developments is desperately needed in OKC, though.

Agreed, but I just hope we don't lose our character in the process. It's been since I first left that the names of all these neighborhoods and districts are being recognized. If they all have the same restaurants and businesses, they lose some of their uniqueness in my opinion.

Teo9969
11-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Count me as one who thinks OKC would be better off without a Ruth's Chris. If a Ruth's Chris is coming to the OKC area, it needs to be no further north than Moore.

As it is, OKC has 5 prime steakhouses: Mickey Mantle's, Red Prime, Ranch Steakhouse, Mahogany, and Opus, with Boulevard being a sixth located in Edmond. Considering the average people can't afford this kind of meal more than 1 to 5 times a year, this particular market is already saturated. Furthermore, OKC's medium to high end restaurants need to be more valued, and that won't occur if the market continues to be dilluted. Restaurants city-wide need to start having busier nights during the weekdays (apart from pharmaceutical companies) and reservations need to become a bigger deal. OKC also needs to focus on more high-end restaurants that are NOT steakhouses. I know this is the south, and I know we are steak and potatoes kind of people (and working in the industry, I hope that never changes), but we need to take more risks and see more restaurants with chef-inspired cuisine.

Now if Opus were to go out of business (which seems like a distinct possibility in the next 2 to 4 years), then maybe. But I'd rather another Mahogany open up than a Ruth's Chris since Mahogany is a local chain, and I'd also take Fleming's over Ruth's Chris. None of those three restaurants, however, are going to drive one of the things that I would most like to see develop in this city, and that's a solid and pervasive wine-culture.

BBatesokc
11-21-2011, 04:49 AM
I've eaten at three Ruth's Chris locations and didn't feel any of them were worth the price or hype. The most recent one we ate at was in Kansas City at the County Club Plaza. We've tried it twice and left really annoyed both times. So much so our meal was compt the last time because the steak was not medium rare and they forgot our cocktail order. They can come here, but I'll pass on ever going. However, I would like an REI.

UnclePete
11-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Did I miss it in this thread? What is REI?

poe
11-21-2011, 05:10 AM
Did I miss it in this thread? What is REI?

Recreational Equipment Inc. It's an outdoorsy type store.

Just the facts
11-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Oh for the love of gawd... you guys are SERIOUSLY complaining about a Ruth Chris'....

You guys have gone so far to one side that you have lost your objectivity. Just because it's local, doesn't mean it's better... And, the truth is most people I know that visit OKC from other places are usually amazed at how many local places we have here already. It's a good thing, but to AUTOMATICALLY groan because it's a chain is just stupid.

+1.

semisimple
11-21-2011, 07:45 AM
As it is, OKC has 5 prime steakhouses: Mickey Mantle's, Red Prime, Ranch Steakhouse, Mahogany, and Opus, with Boulevard being a sixth located in Edmond. Considering the average people can't afford this kind of meal more than 1 to 5 times a year, this particular market is already saturated.

Six prime steakhouses in metro OKC (assuming you've listed them all) doesn't exactly seem "saturated" to me when there's at least 10 just within a mile of my place in Austin and probably another 10 or more strewn about the city and suburbs. I'd think OKC could easily support a couple more, especially an established chain like Ruth's Chris.

lasomeday
11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I was at the REI headquarters a few weeks ago. They told me they open stores based on how many memberships they have in an area. Usually they have to have 15,000 to open a store. I signed up. The executives there are really nice and looking for new places. They just have a set protocol for new stores. It has been very successful for them.

MikeLucky
11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I'd rather see Red Prime than Ruth's Chris.

Compare like things which would actually compete against each other.

We already have a Red Prime... and several other locally owned prime steak houses. So in this case it's MORE than acceptable to have a national chain to not only compete with the local guys, but to also keep them sharp.

Not to mention the fact that the RC's here in OKC could just as easily be a locally owned franchise. So what does THAT do to your little bias?

Teo9969
11-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Six prime steakhouses in metro OKC (assuming you've listed them all) doesn't exactly seem "saturated" to me when there's at least 10 just within a mile of my place in Austin and probably another 10 or more strewn about the city and suburbs. I'd think OKC could easily support a couple more, especially an established chain like Ruth's Chris.

I'd be somewhat surprised if there were 10 Prime Steakhouses within 1 mile of any given point in the city. Doing some quick research on Dallas, I don't imagine they have more than 30ish prime steakhouses, especially ones that are doing well. For a city that is at least twice the size of Austin, it would be surprising to me if the number in Austin was 20. I could be wrong though.

Even so, Austin is a city of considerable more wealth than OKC, and it would show in the restaurants. OKC can't even support its 5th steakhouse: Opus, which has far and away the best wine list in the state. And Boulevard in Edmond is struggling as well. None of the Steakhouses in the area are selling $5M a year in product. OKC should be careful supporting a new endeavor until we show committment to what we already have...especially in the restaurant industry.

Like I said though: In Moore or Norman, great. They don't have any Prime Steakhouses. And again, no thank you on Ruths Chris, there are probably 5 chain steakhouses that are ahead in line, including local Mahogany.

If I had my choice, we'd get a Morton's. That or a Papp.....well, that's dreaming a little TOO big.

Just the facts
11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Jacksonville has 2 Ruths Chris.

semisimple
11-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I see...my counting may be wrong because I'm equating "prime" steakhouse to any upscale steakhouse/seafood restaurant. But, yes, within roughly a mile radius of my house I count nine and I'm pretty sure I'm missing a couple: Fleming's, Ruth's Chris, Perry's, Finn and Porter, III Forks, Truluck's, Vince Young's, Eddie V's, Sullivan's.

Midtowner
11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
We already have a Red Prime... and several other locally owned prime steak houses. So in this case it's MORE than acceptable to have a national chain to not only compete with the local guys, but to also keep them sharp.

Not to mention the fact that the RC's here in OKC could just as easily be a locally owned franchise. So what does THAT do to your little bias?

My bias remains. S&B Burgers or Tucker's will always > Whataburger.

Big Truck > Taco Bell.

Trattoria > Olive Garden.

Michael's/Red Prime/whatever > Ruth's Chris.

The trouble is, when you get a chain in the market, due to marketing, they gobble up a big percentage of the market share with what is in my subjective opinion, a lower quality, mass-produced product. You might love your Olive Garden "food," and being harassed over buying a bottle of wine with your 11AM lunch, but give me Othello's any day.

Teo9969
11-21-2011, 01:09 PM
I see...my counting may be wrong because I'm equating "prime" steakhouse to any upscale steakhouse/seafood restaurant. But, yes, within roughly a mile radius of my house I count nine and I'm pretty sure I'm missing a couple: Fleming's, Ruth's Chris, Perry's, Finn and Porter, III Forks, Truluck's, Vince Young's, Eddie V's, Sullivan's.

I mean, those all look like Prime Steakhouses. So I guess you're right, to which I would return to a point in my other post that Austin clearly has more wealth. People in OKC just can't (or maybe they just don't want to?) afford a $150 meal for two people more than every once and awhile.

Bellaboo
11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm with Mid on this one, I'll take the local home grown over the chain any day of the week. By the way, Charleston's has a decent steak for the price.

MikeLucky
11-21-2011, 03:07 PM
My bias remains. S&B Burgers or Tucker's will always > Whataburger.

Big Truck > Taco Bell.

Trattoria > Olive Garden.

Michael's/Red Prime/whatever > Ruth's Chris.

The trouble is, when you get a chain in the market, due to marketing, they gobble up a big percentage of the market share with what is in my subjective opinion, a lower quality, mass-produced product. You might love your Olive Garden "food," and being harassed over buying a bottle of wine with your 11AM lunch, but give me Othello's any day.

I'm with Mid on this one, I'll take the local home grown over the chain any day of the week. By the way, Charleston's has a decent steak for the price.

And you guys completely miss the point... OKC already has you two.... The chains aren't for the devoted locals. You guys are in the minority (hence the DEFINITION of chain). They are for the masses.

My Father is someone who goes to Vegas and eats at Outback Steakhouse. I don't get it... but the majority of people will pick a chain the majority of the time because they crave consistency and familiarity.

So, yes, if you choose to NOT like a chain, that it fine... but to automatically dismiss them, especially in a genre that we already have plenty of locals with... then it's just counterproductive to the "growth" and "stability" that all of you ironically crave.

Just the facts
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
And you guys completely miss the point... OKC already has you two.... The chains aren't for the devoted locals. You guys are in the minority (hence the DEFINITION of chain). They are for the masses.

My Father is someone who goes to Vegas and eats at Outback Steakhouse. I don't get it... but the majority of people will pick a chain the majority of the time because they crave consistency and familiarity.

So, yes, if you choose to NOT like a chain, that it fine... but to automatically dismiss them, especially in a genre that we already have plenty of locals with... then it's just counterproductive to the "growth" and "stability" that all of you ironically crave.

Recently I have had the ability to choose between locals and chains on a daily basis, usually right next door to each other. While I started out trying to pick the local guys I find myself going to the chain guys more and more. For some reason the food is better and the establishments are much cleaner (two reason why chains have thousands of locations). I have found that it comes down to this: Pizza - local guy, everything else - chain.

Bellaboo
11-22-2011, 07:19 AM

Okay,

I'll cave just a little bit, It used to be called Houstons, but I think has recently sold, at one time had a bad mother of a Hawaiian Ribeye.

jdcf
11-22-2011, 10:19 AM
REI in Plano has great customer service. I am most always pleased though with Sun and Ski Sports and Backwoods.

Debzkidz
11-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I'd love to see REI here. I'm a member and have been for years. I love to shop at places like Backwoods or the Summit Company, but they have a pretty limited selection. I will always shop at these first, but if they don't have what I want, I order from REI.

As for the steak thing. Yes, I would prefer local and will always choose that over a chain, but I know people that only eat at chains. I think they like the idea of knowing what they are getting. Also, I've known people that are from small towns that prefer to eat at chains when they are in a city, because they see them advertised on TV all the time, but have no local access. When they go to the city, that's what they want. Commercials make even the worst (Applebee's) look really good. One of my sons has a college fraternity brother that's from some really little town in Arkansas, hours away from a decent sized city. When my son and all his other friends (mostly from Dallas, Memphis, OKC etc) go out to eat, they always like to eat at good local places. This one kid always wants to go to places like Chili's and Olive Garden. For him, living his entire life in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere Arkansas, those chains are cool and glamorous. To him, it's big city.

Just the facts
11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
This one kid always wants to go to places like Chili's and Olive Garden. For him, living his entire life in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere Arkansas, those chains are cool and glamorous. To him, it's big city.

That is because he spent his whole life eating at local places.

Bellaboo
11-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Yes, or mom or grandma's kitchen.

Debzkidz
11-22-2011, 12:00 PM

Exactly. And there's a whole world of people out there just like him.

MDot
11-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, or mom or grandma's kitchen.

That was my case. LOL

Teo9969
11-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't know that you all are painting the market picture the correct way on this.

Of the people who always eat at chains when they eat out, how often are they willing to spend $75 - $100/person in their party?

The things that drive these upscale steakhouses are: Wine/Liquor Sales, Business dinners, and wealthy people who frequent the establishment. At upscale steakhouses, I would harbor a guess that 25% of the guests account for 75% of the sales, and possibly even more disparate than that (20/80 was my first inclination). These types of restaurants are not driven by the middle-class the same way that places like Outback, Chili's, and Red Lobster are. It's good to have that extra 75% of guests walk through the door, indeed they are what push a restaurant forward as some of that 75% evolves into the 25%. But at the moment, OKC only has so many people that can be apart of that 25%. With no high-end restaurants that are selling $5M in product, I don't think it would be wise to come in and slash some of those numbers and risk lowering the quality of the private establishments/local chains.

The other major problem with Ruth's Chris is that their wine program sucks. If OKC is ever going to have destination restaurants (which I think are necessary to become a big time city), the wine culture of the entire city needs a boost. Fleming's 100 wines-by-the-glass is pretty impressive, but I like Morton's full list better...although, with that in mind, for the "75%" I think a wider selection of more moderately priced wine would be more effective.

Another advantage to Fleming's is that is has WAY more buying power than Ruth's Chris or Morton's due to the fact that it is owned by OSI (Outback, Carrabbas, Bonefish Grill, etc.) The more buying power, the more likely you are to get higher quality meat.

BG918
11-22-2011, 05:58 PM
There was a development in Tulsa that was slated to have a Ruth's Chris but it was shelved when the recession hit. It was to be a shopping/dining area at Warren Place. Interesting article about the development and its relation to Leadership Square/ Penn Square Bank:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20080919/ai_n28112197/

bluedogok
11-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Okay,

I'll cave just a little bit, It used to be called Houstons, but I think has recently sold, at one time had a bad mother of a Hawaiian Ribeye.
Houston's is a chain with very good food, that ribeye is great. The one in Austin dropped the Houston's franchise or something and is now called Bartlett's, it has pretty much the same menu.

The Charleston's chain in OKC either was part of Houston's at one time or was a complete clone. It is owned by the Hal Smith Restaurant Group and they have expanded into Arizona, Indiana and Nebraska. It is not on the level of a Mickey Mantle but it is very good for the price.

I have never been to a Ruth's Chris but I do like me some Morton's, there is one about 6 blocks from my office in LoDo.

demoman
11-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Would love to see both come to OKC! You don't know what you got until you've been used to having a Fry's, Ruth's, REI or Costco and then move to an area that doesn't offer any of those. Bring them in and more competition I say.

bluedogok
11-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I am finding one part of that out, there are no Fry's stores in Denver, Micro Center is the closest store similar but it is not the same. May have to swing by Fry's since I am back in Austin for the holiday weekend.