View Full Version : OSU Girl's Basketball Coach dies in a plane crash

MadMonk
11-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Coach Budke and an assistant were among the four lost in a small aircraft crash on the way back from a recruiting trip.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20111118_234_0_Aunive379629

A university official confirmed that Oklahoma State women’s basketball coach Kurt Budke and an assistant, Miranda Serna, were killed in a small-plane crash that occurred on Thursday.

FritterGirl
11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
I am gutted for them. Can't imagine what the team must be going through, especially as it cannot help but bring up the terrible memories of January, 2011. My heart and prayers are with the entire OSU team and family.

Pete
11-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Wow! That's horrible.

What a nightmare for the families and the basketball team.

Roadhawg
11-18-2011, 08:38 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the family's, the team and the University. Such a sad thing to happen.

venture
11-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Terrible news to wake up to this morning. Will be interesting to find out what the NTSB finds for the cause, if they can.

OKCTalker
11-18-2011, 09:13 AM
The university took a hard look at their aviation usage following the 2001 crash, and many necessary changes were made. OSU runs a great aviation training program, so they have a lot of competency flying and managing general aviation aircraft. Preliminary reports indicate that the accident aircraft was a Piper PA-28, and although there are several versions of that model (variations in engine displacement, propeller and landing gear), all are four-occupant, single-pilot, single-engine, land aircraft, simple and stable to fly.

The cause? Too early to tell, and the preliminary report might not be available for close to two weeks due to the upcomng Thanksgiving holiday. But as a private pilot with experience in Arkansas I will say this: I would never fly over it at night in a single-engine aircraft. If you have to put down, there are very few flat, open places to land. Much of the terrain is rugged, mountainous, heavily-forested, remote, and their airports are few and far between. Any issue requiring an immediate landing could quickly become critical, and non-surviveable.

Prayers for the families of all involved, and the entire OSU community.

MDot
11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
This is sad. I never kept up with Women's College Basketball but I was in shock when I first heard about it. My heart and prayers go out to all the families involved, not just the coaches but the pilot and other passenger.

MikeOKC
11-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Another tragedy for Oklahoma State. This is just horrible.

PennyQuilts
11-18-2011, 01:09 PM
The university took a hard look at their aviation usage following the 2001 crash, and many necessary changes were made. OSU runs a great aviation training program, so they have a lot of competency flying and managing general aviation aircraft. Preliminary reports indicate that the accident aircraft was a Piper PA-28, and although there are several versions of that model (variations in engine displacement, propeller and landing gear), all are four-occupant, single-pilot, single-engine, land aircraft, simple and stable to fly.

The cause? Too early to tell, and the preliminary report might not be available for close to two weeks due to the upcomng Thanksgiving holiday. But as a private pilot with experience in Arkansas I will say this: I would never fly over it at night in a single-engine aircraft. If you have to put down, there are very few flat, open places to land. Much of the terrain is rugged, mountainous, heavily-forested, remote, and their airports are few and far between. Any issue requiring an immediate landing could quickly become critical, and non-surviveable.

Prayers for the families of all involved, and the entire OSU community.

Such a sad thing.

The NTSB has already sent a team. If someone wants to be notified of press releases they can sign up at NTSB.gov, or just check the website from time to time. I believe Terry Williams is the public affairs officer on this one.

Bellaboo
11-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Just heard that the pilot and his wife (who also was on board) are boosters, and that he was 82 years old..............wife was 79.

MDot
11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Just heard that the pilot and his wife (who also was on board) are boosters, and that he was 82 years old..............wife was 79.

Former state Senator Olin Branstetter and his wife to be exact.

Bunty
11-18-2011, 09:39 PM
No wonder OSU isn't winning at Iowa State, so far.

jn1780
11-20-2011, 09:53 PM
No wonder OSU isn't winning at Iowa State, so far.
You have to wonder how much it affected them.

OKCTalker
02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
http://newsok.com/medical-examiners-unable-to-find-cause-for-osu-plane-crash/article/3651484

I found it surprising that carbon monoxide poisoning was ruled out even though tests were impossible to perform. They also ruled out a problem with the exhaust system even though the airplane was totally destroyed.

OKCTalker
01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Inconclusive.