View Full Version : OU'S Mens Basketball

Hispirit
04-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Can anyone blame the OU players for wanting to leave the program?
Not only has Sampson placed only Two players in the Pros.
The list would be very short of the players that were actually better the 2nd or 3rd year he had them, than the first year they arrived.
He may be getting better, because this year he seems to be able to coach most of the talent out of them in one semester.
I'll always be an OU fan, but Kevin is a very average coach in a program that could attract, teach and keep the best players.
Good luck to those who have the guts to move on and try to better themselves.
HISPIRIT

Midtowner
04-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Have you seen the players that he's signed for next year? These kids left because there's little/no chance that they'd be starters.

The kids that have excelled in Kelvin's system just haven't had the bodies to succeed in the NBA, however, several of them have gone onto some decent careers overseas.

Hispirit
04-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Yes I know of the players hes trying to sign. They'l be great for a few games.
Bookout isn't near the impact he was the first, year, same for Alexander, Gilbert,
Grey and Godbold wer playing so tenative they were inefective, in one semester.
Name more than five players that he has had,that were even as good after he's brow beat them for a year. They can't spend all their time watching him, point at his head, during the game. Basketball is too fast to think about thinking on every play.
I know a lot of people like him and I think he is a good person. He just needs to grow another apendege, to make it easier to pat himself on the back, and move on.

Midtowner
04-09-2005, 10:09 PM
I can't believe you're talking about firing him after he won the Big XII regular season, had 20 wins, etc. Our basketball program is not our football program. I think that's a pretty darned good season.

Patrick
04-11-2005, 12:32 AM
I can't believe you're talking about firing him after he won the Big XII regular season, had 20 wins, etc. Our basketball program is not our football program. I think that's a pretty darned good season.

I agree. Heck, the guy has been the tourny all but 1 year I believe. What else do you expect from the guy?

The Final 4 appearance a few years ago was quite impressive. I don't think Sampson is any less of a coach than Eddie Sutton. Only difference is Sutton was in the game longer.

Hispirit
04-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I didn't say anything about firing him. I said he should move on.
The point I tried to make, was I didn't blame players for wanting to go to a different program. Sampson has had some good players, (Although they will get harder for him to recruit) I said most of his players are better basketball players when he gets them, than they are when he has trained them for awhile. As he says "Its a simple game". I think there is more to it than running the hell out of them, before a game than exspect them to run in circles looking at him, the entire game.
I said list his players than do your own rating of how they progress. More than 50% are less confident and contribute less than when they arrive.
With none ready for the Pros.