View Full Version : Still Alive: Downtown OKC Christmas Festival and Parade 2012

kd5ili
11-13-2011, 10:59 AM
With most major projects involving the road grid wrapping up, the plan is to move forward with the parade in 2012. This gives us just over a year to get things organized. Many of you may remember when this idea first came to life, but all of the construction downtown rendered it logistically impossible.

What we would like to do is to model this after the Chuy's Christmas Parade in Austin, where folks can bring a toy to donate...possibly in conjunction with OKC Fire or Police. We would also like to see a day event possibly in the Myriad Gardens Park with choirs, bands, dance troupes...anything Christmas. It would actually be nice to run the parade route down Sheridan and have the revue stand located at the park. Any and all ideas are welcome! It's been far too long since there was any true downtown Christmas festivities.

It was almost painful having to delay this for the last couple of years due to all of the construction, but I will say that everything that has been accomplished will only serve to make this event much better. Anybody with an interest in helping out with this event please feel free to contact me.

Chris Sokol
Sokol Photography

Steve
11-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Chris, email me at slackmeyer@oklahoman.com and let's talk. I'd like to see what I can do to help get word out about this.

kd5ili
01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
OK...dragging this back up. Finally street construction is wrapping up, and plans can finally move forward. At the moment, the tentative date for the parade is Saturday, December 14th, 2013. This will put it on a Saturday post OU/OSU football season. Plans are for a start time around 7PM. The route is still up in the air, except that it will pass the Myriad Gardens and pass into Bricktown on Reno. There is a ton of work left to be done (actually even started lol), and anybody interested in helping will be welcomed with open arms.

Stay tuned for much more information.