View Full Version : 11-11-11

Thunder
11-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Got plans?

This is a HUGE day!

FRISKY
11-11-2011, 05:43 AM
I have big plans scheduled 49-minutes before noon.

Martin
11-11-2011, 06:26 AM
you'd all best be watching spinal tap as this is nigel tufnel day. -M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll7rWiY5obI

Roadhawg
11-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Yes it is a big day... My heartfelt thanks to all the Veterans and current service men and women out there.

Maynard
11-11-2011, 06:48 AM
3_XswHm514w

♩ it's alright 'cos the historical pattern has shown
how the economical cycle tends to revolve
in a round of decades three stages stand out in a loop
a slump and war then peel back to square one and back for more

bigger slump and bigger wars and a smaller recovery
huger slump and greater wars and a shallower recovery

you see the recovery always comes 'round again
there's nothing to worry for things will look after themselves
it's alright recovery always comes 'round again
there's nothing to worry if things can only get better

there's only millions that lose their jobs and homes and sometimes accents
there's only millions that die in their bloody wars, it's alright

it's only their lives and the lives of their next of kin that they are losing
it's only their lives and the lives of their next of kin that they are losing

it's alright 'cos the historical pattern has shown
how the economical cycle tends to revolve
in a round of decades three stages stand out in a loop
a slump and war then peel back to square one and back for more

bigger slump and bigger wars and a smaller recovery
huger slump and greater wars and a shallower recovery

don't worry be happy things will get better naturally
don't worry shut up sit down go with it and be happy

dum, dum, dum, de dum dum, de duh de duh de dum dum dum... ah ah
dum, dum, dum, de dum dum, de duh de duh de dum dum dum... ah ah ♫

rcjunkie
11-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Veterans Day Parade in Norman, then help serve special meal to Veterans at the Veteran Center on Robinson.

Roadhawg
11-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Veterans Day Parade in Norman, then help serve special meal to Veterans at the Veteran Center on Robinson.

Good job *thumbs up*

okcisok
11-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks rcjunkie!

Maynard
11-11-2011, 09:22 AM
"In war, the stronger overcomes the weaker. In business, the stronger imparts strength to the weaker."

—Frédéric Bastiat

"The characteristic feature of militarism is not the fact that a nation has a powerful army or navy. It is the paramount role assigned to the army within the political structure. Even in peacetime the army is supreme; it is the predominant factor in political life. The subjects must obey the government as soldiers must obey their superiors. Within a militarist community there is no freedom; there are only obedience and discipline."

-Ludwig von Mises

"This is the true lesson of our history: war, preparation for war, and foreign military interventions have served for the most part not to protect us, as we are constantly told, but rather to sap our economic vitality and undermine our civil and economic liberties."

-Robert Higgs

Thunder
11-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Stay on topic!!!!

Maynard
11-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Stay on topic!!!!

:::eye roll:::

Did you feel it?

FRISKY
11-11-2011, 10:11 AM
11:11:11 11/11/11

Thunder
11-11-2011, 10:14 AM
11:11:11 11/11/11

Congratulations!

Pete, don't forget to put this down on record for OKCTALK's history.

FRISKY
11-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Congratulations!

Pete, don't forget to put this down on record for OKCTALK's history.Thanks! What do I win?

OKCTalker
11-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Stay on topic!!!!

A discussion of Veteran's Day isn't on topic for 11/11? Thunder, are you old school and prefer Armistice Day instead?

MDot
11-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I will be going to visit my Great-Grandpa today who served in 3 branches (Air Force, Marines, Army) for a total of 20 years, 4 months, and 29 days exactly.

He was part of the Vietnam and Korean wars (he is also considered part of WWII but he signed up during that time at age 17 and was never actually in it) and has medals for leading various missions throughout Vietnam and Korea, from both sky and land, and has been stationed all over the world including Germany, Berlin, Kenya, South Africa, Hawaii, etc. The last place he was ever stationed was Tinker Air Force Base and he retired from there and said that Oklahoma City was such a great city that he and my Great-Grandma ultimately decided to stay here to raise my Grandma and that is why I'm here today (although he loves Mississippi and loves going back to visit). Big thank you to him as he's had more of an impact on my life than any other person.

Fun Fact: He holds the record for the longest shot in a prone position without a scope, he used an M1 Garand, and hit a target dead on the bullseye from about 400 yards away. I'm not sure if anyone has broken that record.

venture
11-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Stay on topic!!!!

Well it is Vet's day. :-P

Besides, 12/12/12 happens next year. I know, not as cool as 11/11/11. Granted, that is to assume the calendar we are using right now is even correct. I say we start over tomorrow and celebrate 0/0/0 :-P

okcisok
11-11-2011, 01:09 PM
MDot,
Tell your Great-Grandpa that a complete stranger says "Thanks for your service to our country".

MDot
11-11-2011, 01:11 PM
MDot,
Tell your Great-Grandpa that a complete stranger says "Thanks for your service to our country".

I'll let him know. =)

cfeken
11-11-2011, 02:09 PM
i will be going to visit my great-grandpa today who served in 3 branches (air force, marines, army) for a total of 20 years, 4 months, and 29 days exactly.

He was part of the vietnam and korean wars (he is also considered part of wwii but he signed up during that time at age 17 and was never actually in it) and has medals for leading various missions throughout vietnam and korea, from both sky and land, and has been stationed all over the world including germany, berlin, kenya, south africa, hawaii, etc. The last place he was ever stationed was tinker air force base and he retired from there and said that oklahoma city was such a great city that he and my great-grandma ultimately decided to stay here to raise my grandma and that is why i'm here today (although he loves mississippi and loves going back to visit). Big thank you to him as he's had more of an impact on my life than any other person.

Fun fact: He holds the record for the longest shot in a prone position without a scope, he used an m1 garand, and hit a target dead on the bullseye from about 400 yards away. I'm not sure if anyone has broken that record.

iam so proud of my dad and mdot

Roadhawg
11-11-2011, 04:19 PM
My mother was a nurse in Patton's army and was on the front line taking care of the wounded. My uncle was a pilot in WWII and earned several medals, My brother spent 10 years on a nuclear sub and my other brother was in Vietnam. I was just a regular Army stateside, Viet Nam era, nothing exciting.

Bellaboo
11-11-2011, 06:00 PM
My hats off to all the Vets out there.........Thank you for your service, whether you saw action or not, does not matter to me.

Larry OKC
11-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I am not sure of any particular significance to 11-11-11 (other than the obvious repetition) but we had 10-10-10 last year and will have 12-12-12 next year (as Venture79 pointed out). I'm just glad I wasn't around for
6-6-6
6:6:6
6/6/6
6.6.6 (thought it would be a bad omen...pun intended...to have 3 sets of those so threw in the 4th) LOL

MDot
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I am not sure of any particular significance to 11-11-11 (other than the obvious repetition) but we had 10-10-10 last year and will have 12-12-12 next year (as Venture79 pointed out). I'm just glad I wasn't around for
6-6-6
6:6:6
6/6/6
6.6.6 (thought it would be a bad omen...pun intended...to have 3 sets of those so threw in the 4th) LOL

The significance of this 11-11-11 is whoever is single is suppose to find true love...

Thunder
11-11-2011, 09:27 PM
The significance of this 11-11-11 is whoever is single is suppose to find true love...

True love or ONE night stand. Oh gotta go, he's waitin for me!

MDot
11-11-2011, 10:02 PM
True love or ONE night stand. Oh gotta go, he's waitin for me!

I'd prefer that personally. Not ready for any commitments yet.

J/K of course, I personally can't wait to get married but I want to make sure it's the right person. =)

Thunder
11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, the day is over. Everyone ruined this topic, cuz it was not made for Vets. Maybe next year on the 12.

MDot
11-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, the day is over. Everyone ruined this topic, cuz it was not made for Vets. Maybe next year on the 12.

That's a rude and disrespectful way to put it. It's sad that some people are worried about some silly superstition more so than respecting and honouring our veterans who fight so we can have the freedom to come up with these worthless theories. I was single at 11:59 of 11-10 and I was single at 12:00 of 11-12 but I had someone fighting for my freedom at 11:59 of 11-10 and I had someone fighting for my freedom at 12:00 of 11-12. Guess which theory I prefer...

You want to know what will happen on 12-12-12...?? My cousins 16th birthday and that's it. Now guess what will happen on 13-13-13... Nothing, because no such date exists. -__-

I know that when you made this thread you had in mind of what our BIG plans were to celebrate yet another "symbolic" date but you said "got plans (for today)" not "what are you going to do to celebrate another fun theory." And just for your sake Thunder, what did you do to celebrate 11-11-11 (seriously)? Any big wishes you can elaborate on?

Veterans Day may only be on 11-11 but I celebrate my heroes everyday; 11-11-11 may be when everyone had hope of a relationship but I have hope of a relationship everyday; 11:11 11-11-11 may be when everyone made a wish but I don't wish, I live with what I've got.

No disrespect towards anyone who participate in these mm-dd-yy but I personally have better things to do than sit around wishing something would happen for me.

Rant over and God bless you all (or y'all, whichever fits).

RadicalModerate
11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
It is impossible to top Post #3 . . .
mmmmmmmm had it right.
I, unfortunately have to deal
with a keyboard that goes
no matter how much I wish it didn't.

Dang.
I feel like a lemming.
(or at least a Cyberlemming =)

Oh. Sh-t....
Was that just a cheap firetruck that i just crashed into......?!!!

RadicalModerate
11-12-2011, 12:39 AM
There are Nuts . . .
And then there are Nuts that go up to 11 [And Beyond!!!]
(Ref.Post#3, Page 1 =)

Nigel Tuffnel: The Latter Years ...
(With no guitar or amp)

KGmNqzbsuiY

Maynard
11-12-2011, 01:04 AM
This movie has it all -- love & war (anti-war, as it were).

i00Jiiak0UE

What may be the most counter-intuitive, and best, arguments against the stupidity of most wars. James Garner and Joyce Grenfell joust on heroism and cowardice with a surpising end. Great filmaking from Artheur Hiller and Paddy Chayefsky, 1964.

RadicalModerate
11-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Good pick for a point regarding "The Americanization of Emily", yet some "wars" were fought on "domestic soil" . . . And "The Song Remains The Same" as "They" used to say even if it was before "your" time . . .

DpZQa1lI0rM

Roadhawg
11-12-2011, 05:12 PM

With all due respect don't be such an ass. Many good people served and gave their lives so people like you could post your drivil.

Thunder
11-12-2011, 06:54 PM
With all due respect don't be such an ass. Many good people served and gave their lives so people like you could post your drivil.

Another thread could be made for that. Duh!

MadMonk
11-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Another thread could be made for that. Duh!
Your priorities are way out-of-whack.

Also, this pretty much nails it - "Any time written as hh:mm:ss mm/dd/yy won't repeat for 100yr. Evidence something can be rare yet completely uninteresting." - Neil Tyson

Roadhawg
11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8iRZxVr2Glt623qpdYBHWFe_hhzDKD zMrNaJubdsbcx5jUs04UA