View Full Version : Ohio State Charged - Institutional Failure To Monitor

venture
11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/10/ohio-state-faces-failure-to-monitor-charge/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

Things are definitely heating up and it is starting to smell like the NCAA is going to come down hard on OSU.

The NCAA had informed Ohio State earlier this year that it was not being accused of a failure to monitor its football team, which has faced several violations over the past two years. According to the Columbus Dispatch, their decision to invoke the charge now means that the NCAA believes that the violations were a result of an overall institutional problem, as opposed to the infractions of a single violator.

MDot
11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
When you first said OSU I thought you meant Oklahoma State but then I remembered Ohio State is the REAL OSU. Lol

And so much for all that hype about the Big Ten being so holy; Ohio State got hit then Penn State got blasted and now Ohio State looks like it's in even more hot water. The NCAA seems very upset to me.

Hawk405359
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
So how about those leaders and legends?

MDot
11-12-2011, 11:57 AM
So how about those leaders and legends?

Apparently they've all either left or have been fired...

Thunder
11-12-2011, 12:29 PM
NCAA is one agency I would eliminate if elected President.

MDot
11-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Too bad you have no chance of becoming President. Lol

Easy180
11-12-2011, 01:38 PM

Agree...Let the schools regulate themselves...Not like they would cover up raping children in locker rooms or anything

Snowman
11-12-2011, 01:43 PM

... and the President has absolutely no control of the NCAA.

MDot
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Agree...Let the schools regulate themselves...Not like they would cover up raping children in locker rooms or anything

Omg the irony. Lol

Just the facts
11-14-2011, 07:23 PM

And you think Congress wouldn't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_congressional_page_sex_scandal

On July 14, 1983 the House Ethics Committee recommended that Rep. Dan Crane (R-IL) and Rep. Gerry Studds (D-MA) be reprimanded for having engaged in sexual relationships with minors,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Foley_scandal

The Mark Foley scandal, which broke in late September 2006, centers on soliciting e-mails and sexually suggestive instant messages sent by Mark Foley, a Republican Congressman from Florida, to teenaged boys who had formerly served as congressional pages.

No one went to jail or even got fired.

Hawk405359
11-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Who in the world said anything about Congress here?

Just the facts
11-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Who in the world said anything about Congress here?

You're right - he said President.

Monica Lewinsky

Monica Samille Lewinsky (born July 23, 1973) is an American woman with whom United States President Bill Clinton admitted to having had an "improper relationship"[1] while she worked at the White House in 1995 and 1996. The affair and its repercussions (which included the impeachment of Bill Clinton) became known as the Lewinsky scandal.

Hawk405359
11-14-2011, 07:29 PM
So that was in response to what Thunder said... makes more sense now. That's just Thunder being Thunder, it's not logical, and it's not like the federal government has anything to do with the NCAA.

Just the facts
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Actually it was in respone to EASY180 supporting the assertion, via sarcasm, that government could do a better job than individual schools.

Hawk405359
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Except he didn't support the assertion. He didn't say anything of that nature at all. He was sarcastically criticizing what Thunder said was about disbanding the NCAA if he were elected president, using the obvious Penn State reference to illustrate how schools cover up their transgressions. No one said a thing about government regulating the schools. The NCAA isn't even a government organization, it's a voluntary association of schools for the sake of athletics. Not disbanding the NCAA doesn't mean the government is doling out punishments for recruiting violations, so trying to counter anything he said by bringing up congress or the president would be like responding to someone saying a movie is bad with "Sonic has better burgers than McDonald's."

You didn't address anything he said, just the irrelevant strawman that you built in your mind.

And yeah, the individual schools as for the schools monitoring themselves, I hope you're not asserting that they actually do that. If anything, the Penn State incident should prove that schools will overlook anything if they think it helps them.

Just the facts
11-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I actually don't mind the NCAA except when they drag their feet (ie Reggie Bush). I see no difference between letting schools monitor themselves or letting the government do it - both would fail miserably.

Hawk405359
11-14-2011, 08:00 PM
That's fine, but Easy didn't say he supported the government regulating schools, he just said that schools wouldn't monitor themselves if you disbanded the NCAA. You pulled that out of thin air.

Just the facts
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I ready easy's comment again. I see now what he was saying.

Roadhawg
11-15-2011, 12:11 PM

That depends on what he's President of lol

venture
11-15-2011, 01:10 PM
That depends on what he's President of lol

The Lollypop Guild? UGH! must fight urges to comment on these.

Roadhawg
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
The Lollypop Guild? UGH! must fight urges to comment on these.

Naaa he's too tall