View Full Version : Great Article on Downtown Redevelopment

soonerguru
04-08-2005, 09:12 AM
I got this from the Commerce Dept. Web site. It really captures what a lot of us feel on this forum, so I thougt I would share.

This will provide some new insight as well.

Here's the link: http://www.brookings.edu/dybdocroot/metro/pubs/20050307_12steps.pdf

There's a section of this that discusses the need to attend to all of people's needs when doing downtown redevelopment, including groceries, places to shop, services, etc.

Obviously, we have all discussed this. What was particularly alarming to me, however, was the article suggests that this must be done QUICKLY during the redevelopment phase, before people begin to decline their support.

This may be happening now. The housing projects come to mind. They've been talking about it for YEARS and other than the Deep Deuce, dirt has not turned (not forgetting the Montgomery). Urban Renewal has no sense of urgency.

What happened with Henderson's project?
What happened with the Bricktown housing project?
When and what will they decide for the hill?

Why are there no meaningful efforts under way to get downtown services for RESIDENTS?

We seem to have approached everything utilizing the tourism development model, and that's definitely a good model, but the "urbanized living" model seems too esoteric for some of our city leaders to understand.

metro
04-08-2005, 09:28 AM
What happened with Henderson's project?
What happened with the Bricktown housing project?
When and what will they decide for the hill?

The Bricktown housing (Bob Minders) will not be developed until after the Hill is developed. OCURA should make a decision in the next week regarding the Hill. I strongly encourage everyone to keep bugging them and let them know that McDermids proposal best fits the downtown area and not a private gated ownership community. Contact them even if you already have, I've done it about 5 times now and will continue to. It is a good ole boy system trying to make this decision. I encourage you soonerguru to do a search before posting as you will find your answers in other threads.

bubfloyd
04-08-2005, 09:49 AM
The NUMBER ONE service need for downtowners is a grocery store. But not your typical Homeland, Walmart or Albertsons. A Wild Oats, Whole Foods or similar operation that provides a better product mix including a selection organic produce is the model for the 5000 younger, more educated, diverse, creative future inhabitants that are expected to be living downtown within three to five years. There are many that strongly believe that new development will stall out if a grocery store isn't forthcoming in the very near future. I can easily see the validity of that position.

Location-wise, East of Bricktown has been suggested and Urban Renewal holds a great site at Sheridan and Walker. Also, look what Bass Pro has done for South Bricktown. I didn't support the City $s going into giving a leg up to a new sporting goods chain, but if it works, it works.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Someone needs to contact the Epicurean Markets down in Texas ( a chain ) to build in B-town.

renffahcs
04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I think it takes a large amount of residential development for a grocery to set up shop. Only now is Dallas getting one in the Interurban Bldg which is still under restoration. A Super Target is being constructed behind the Montgomery Ward Project on West 7th in Fort Worth. Anyone else know what other DT's have grocerys???

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-08-2005, 03:57 PM
DT Lawton has one... LOL!

Oh, you mean real d'towns. Well, Houston has one on La Branch and Travis I think.

renffahcs
04-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Gibson's doesn't count!!

renffahcs
04-09-2005, 06:58 AM
I was curious, does anyone know how many residental units are downtown?? If not can someone get a running list of porperties going so we can get a guess. We were doing this for Fort Worth and guessed a minimum of 1100 units downtown. Estimate 1.5 people per unit and that a minimum of 1650 people in Fort Worth. Can someone make a list of DT properties and how many units they have??

metro
04-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Rennffahcs, A list is already established, you can do a search. As far as exact number of units, I used to know. I'm sure we can find it, probably on downtownokcinc.com or okc.gov or the chambers site. I will try to find the exact count, I want to say around 600?

Patrick
04-11-2005, 11:27 AM
600 sounds right. That's really not that many at the present time, but one has to look at the planned residential complexes to get excited about the number of housing units on the way downtown. I suppose a grocery store probably hasn't located downtown because of the current downtown residential population. Hopefully that will change with projects like The Hill, Legacy Summit, The Steel Yard, and the Town Center.

bubfloyd is absolutely correct.....the empty lot at Sheridan and Walker would be an excellent location for a grocery store. Everytime I drive by there, that's the only use I can envision for that property. It's right in between the Arts District and Bricktown, so it would serve both communities. I honestly don't think a large grocery store would fit well in touristy Bricktown...pulling it out of Bricktown while still keeping it downtown might be a good option.

I still think a local grocery store like Kamps would be a great fit for the area.