View Full Version : New Baylor Stadium

venture
11-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Just an artist impression, but the design looks pretty good. Although it is missing a few things (press box, big scoreboard, etc).

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/33113472

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/baylorstadium.jpg

MikeOKC
11-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Wow. Very nice. I imagine the press box is on the right side which we can't see. I think the two big squares at the front are maybe scoreboards? I saw where Populous has done the design concept. I knew that name sounded familiar - they did the State Fair Master Plan http://portfolio.populous.com/projects/okstfair.html and also was the group involved with the controversial convention center site. Looking over their website, they've designed some incredible buildings around the country. Baylor needs a stadium on campus.

MDot
11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
That's very nice. Better than the stadium they have now for sure.

Thunder
11-14-2011, 06:29 PM
I laughed so hard at this. They never fill the stadium. Everytime I watch OU going down there to play, the whole place was mostly empty. LOL

venture
11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
They are investing in themselves and actually get a stadium ON CAMPUS. You do realize that the current one isn't on university grounds right?

ou48A
11-14-2011, 07:26 PM
There are usually plenty of very cheap tickets for home Baylor games but this is an investment.
It should help Baylor attract new fans and better recruits which in turn means more wins, more fans and even better recruits.
This new stadium will help Baylor when recruiting against OSU, Tech, TCU, and a few others.
It’s being built with expansion in mind..... 65000.

Hawk405359
11-14-2011, 07:27 PM
If Oklahoma State proves anything, it's that upgrading your facilities has a significant affect on the outlook an d prospects of your program.

ou48A
11-14-2011, 07:31 PM
If Oklahoma State proves anything, it's that upgrading your facilities has a significant affect on the outlook an d prospects of your program.

That’s right.. but the big trick is to have the ability to continually improve facilities decade after decade.

dankrutka
11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I went to OU's game in Waco last year and it was like a high school game. Total joke. New facilities won't be enough. OSU games prior to the renovation were never half as pathetic as a Baylor game. It is ridiculous they are in a major conference. They are definitely Conference USA material. This new stadium will be empty just like the last one.

Hawk405359
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Well of course that's not all they have to do, but it is a step in the right direction for them. These are the things you have to do if you want to build up your program, you have to make the investment.

MikeOKC
11-14-2011, 08:29 PM
It's funny how time goes by and age throws a different perspective on things. I remember the Baylor Bears when they were the toast of the Southwest Conference in the mid to late '70s. Grant Teaff coached them to two conference championships in that time.

Bellaboo
11-15-2011, 03:05 PM
It's funny how time goes by and age throws a different perspective on things. I remember the Baylor Bears when they were the toast of the Southwest Conference in the mid to late '70s. Grant Teaff coached them to two conference championships in that time.

And who was their best player ? Mike Singletary of course.

Laramie
11-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Nice large stadium which they may never will sell out unless OU fans flock to Waco in droves.

Just the facts
11-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Any word on the seating capacity of this new stadium?

bluedogok
11-24-2011, 08:07 PM
I think it is supposed to be around the same as Floyd Casey, between 45-50,000.

Just the facts
11-25-2011, 08:21 AM
I think it is supposed to be around the same as Floyd Casey, between 45-50,000.

Then they should be able to sell-out the new stadium for most games. The University of Central Florida saw a 100% increase in attendance when they opened their new on-campus stadium.

http://today.ucf.edu/ucf-football-taking-attendance/

Next to the final score, the most scrutinized number is the attendance at Bright House Networks Stadium for every home football game. Newspapers love to make it a story. Fake supporters use it as a measuring tool to determine if the program is successful or not, as if the team’s record is not the true indicator. But all you have to do is look at the numbers and the numbers tell a story.

The last football decade began with the 2001 season. Playing at the Florida Citrus Bowl, UCF averaged 19,763 fans that season. The football decade ended with the 2010 season. Playing its fourth year at Bright House Networks Stadium, UCF averaged 39,614. In case you needed some math assistance, the increase is just over 100 percent.

And it wasn't just football that benefited from new facilities. UCF built a new basketball arena as well.

In case you are wondering about basketball attendance over the last decade. This past season UCF averaged 6,370 per game. The last season in the old UCF Arena, now known as The Venue, 2,706 was the average crowd. The first year in the new building saw an average crowd of 4,891. What was the average attendance for basketball in 2001 when the sports decade began? 908

That is a 700% increase from 2001 to 2011.

bombermwc
11-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Beating OU isn't a bad recruiting mark either folks. Build it to hold 50K with room to grow....good plan. OSU did the same thing and it's worked out for them. The old days at OSU were sad...high schools had better facilities, and they knew it. You can't recruit off sub-standard stuff. The key is being able to play off that and get those key players to make a change here and there....build the program over a few years so your team grows with the facility.

It's sort of like the old church addage, if you aren't doing something every 6 months that can be seen from the parking lot, then you don't exist to the public.

bluedogok
11-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I think Baylor finally has the right coach for their type of program. Briles was a very respected Texas high school coach (Stephenville) who was well liked by college and high school coaches. He went to Tech and was an assistant under Leach before getting the Houston job and built the foundation that Sumlin has expanded on. When North Texas hired Todd Dodge (Southlake Carroll) I think they were hoping for the same results, the difference is UNT is in the Sunbelt Conference and his attitude towards all the other high school coaches that he went against in his dominating years at Southlake that he had a hard time getting places to come his way if the other coaches could help it.

There is really no reason why Baylor couldn't have a Tech level of success when they get the right combination of players.

mugofbeer
11-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Beating OU isn't a bad recruiting mark either folks. Build it to hold 50K with room to grow....good plan. OSU did the same thing and it's worked out for them. The old days at OSU were sad...high schools had better facilities, and they knew it. You can't recruit off sub-standard stuff. The key is being able to play off that and get those key players to make a change here and there....build the program over a few years so your team grows with the facility.

It's sort of like the old church addage, if you aren't doing something every 6 months that can be seen from the parking lot, then you don't exist to the public.

It's going to take a lot more than one year of success to build a successful program. I applaude Baylor and their remarkable quarterback. Griffen is a superb, raw passer that is also a fantastic runner. He may end up being one of the all-time greats given a year or 2 in the pro's. The proof will be next year and a couple after to see if they can show true success. Tech had a superior coach in Mike Leach and they've already shown significant deterioration in the quality of their program because after that weird OU game they've lost what, 6 straight? 2 years ago and 20 years prior, Baylor hosted a majority OU crowd.

Teo9969
11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
The Press boxes seems to be located on the left side of that picture under the canopy (blue part)

Spartan
11-30-2011, 04:45 PM

The thing about OSU is that they didn't do this fishing excursion that Baylor is doing for their stadium. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did OSU announce anything until T. Boone made the first donation? Now, this might be partly chalked up to OSU people being very shy and reserved and Baylor people being rather immature (from what I've seen at least), but I just think this has fishing excursion all over it. Put a rendering out there and see if the donors like it.

Not that Baylor doesn't have some big-time alumni, and I think the success they've had lately is surely exciting for them, but it takes a guy like T. Boone or Phil Knight to pull something like this off. Do they have anyone on -that- level other than just all the political connections in the world? I doubt it.

But the new stadium would be incredible. It really shows how the traditional powers of the Big 12 really need to watch their back, with OSU leading a big chunk of surging middle-tier schools that want a piece of the championship pie. I don't think Baylor has the chance to be as competitive as OSU, but we'll see. The program overhaul in Stillwater has involved a lot, including luck, and including some very dedicated Cowboy alums at AD, Head Coach, Def. Coordinator, and so on. I just don't think Art Briles is a coach on the same level of Stoops, Brown, Gundy, Pinkel etc. Those guys are the kind of coaches you just can't pay enough, really.

Snowman
11-30-2011, 05:55 PM
While it will be great if they can manage to pull this off, the conference needs the middle tier to step it up if it is remaining 10 schools and be nationally respected. However a new 65,000 capacity state of the art stadium costs literally around a billion dollars to construct, so if they do not have a solid plan for funding it or heavy downers asking for it, it will be on the drawing board for quite a while. Which is why you see most schools just add on a sections or remodeling to existing stadiums during the boom years. In all likelihood they need upgrades to the training facilities, which may be more important than the stadium itself for player development.

Just the facts
11-30-2011, 07:28 PM
However a new 65,000 capacity state of the art stadium costs literally around a billion dollars to construct, so if they do not have a solid plan for funding it or heavy downers asking for it, it will be on the drawing board for quite a while.

You are thinking of an NFL stadium with retractable rood, roll out field, a 60 yard HD screen, 250 luxury boxes, and every amenity known to man - which I guess is your definition of state of the art.

BrightHouse Networks stadium in Orlando cost a mere $55 million when it opened in 2007. It seats 45,000 and has 24 luxury suites. Plans are currently under review to expand it to more than 55,000.

TCF Bank Stadium at the University of Minnesota cost $300 million when it opened in 2009. It seats over 50,000 but can be expanded to over 80,000. It has 39 suites, 59 loge boxes, and 300 indoor club seats.

Even the new OSU stadium cost less the $300 million.

bluedogok
11-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Supposedly Drayton McLane is the big money donor behind this stadium. There was talk of improving Floyd Casey but the rumor is that he said if they wanted his money, it was going to be "on campus". He did just sell the Houston Astros last week.

cjohnson.405
12-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Baylor people being rather immature (from what I've seen at least), but I just think this has fishing excursion all over it. Put a rendering out there and see if the donors like it.

Not that Baylor doesn't have some big-time alumni, and I think the success they've had lately is surely exciting for them, but it takes a guy like T. Boone or Phil Knight to pull something like this off. Do they have anyone on -that- level other than just all the political connections in the world? I doubt it.

Baylor has its T-Boones and then some. Drayton McClane (sold the Astros) and Bob Simpson (sold XTO Energy to Exxon) have pledged $210mm already. There's alot more like these guys. The university has put $1b in facilities on the ground over the last few years.

Put the rendering out there? McClane is the one that introduced Populous to Baylor and is leading the campaign to finish off the pledges required to build the stadium.

A fishing expedition? Baylor has already acquired the land and is currently taking soil samples and demolishing standing structures.

If you're going to call a group of people (many of them fellow Oklahomans) immature, you should have a shred of knowledge.

cjohnson.405
12-01-2011, 09:34 PM
It's going to take a lot more than one year of success to build a successful program. I applaude Baylor and their remarkable quarterback. Griffen is a superb, raw passer that is also a fantastic runner. He may end up being one of the all-time greats given a year or 2 in the pro's. The proof will be next year and a couple after to see if they can show true success. Tech had a superior coach in Mike Leach and they've already shown significant deterioration in the quality of their program because after that weird OU game they've lost what, 6 straight? 2 years ago and 20 years prior, Baylor hosted a majority OU crowd.

You're right. Baylor needs to prove that this team is more than a flash in the pan built on Robert Griffin.

I will submit this:
- Art Briles has recruited and mentored 1 NFL QB (Kevin Kolb) and will have 2 drafted this year (Griffin and Case Keenum). Griffin's backup started the second half of the Tech game (after Griffin's concussion) and threw for 2 TDs, ran for 1 TD, and threw for almost 200 yards. Nick Florence is solid and has a better QB redshirting behind him.
- Baylor has the leading rusher in the Big XII in Terrance Ganaway. Moreover, Baylor has the #1 HS RB recruit from 2009 (Oregon transfer) sitting out a year on campus.
- Baylor easily has the best WR corps in the conference
- Baylor has a top 3 offensive line in the conference

Robert Griffin may be the shining star of this offense but he is leading a supporting cast of studs.

Now, our defense, that's a whole other story. And, that's why Baylor brought in Phil Bennett to turn things around.

Spartan
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Baylor has its T-Boones and then some. Drayton McClane (sold the Astros) and Bob Simpson (sold XTO Energy to Exxon) have pledged $210mm already. There's alot more like these guys. The university has put $1b in facilities on the ground over the last few years.

Put the rendering out there? McClane is the one that introduced Populous to Baylor and is leading the campaign to finish off the pledges required to build the stadium.

A fishing expedition? Baylor has already acquired the land and is currently taking soil samples and demolishing standing structures.

If you're going to call a group of people (many of them fellow Oklahomans) immature, you should have a shred of knowledge.

Oh come on, Baylor grads. OU has put a billion into capital expenses lately as well, and they're still behind the curve. OSU has put tons into capital projects, too. TU is also always investing in their facilities. Even UCO. That's what universities do.

I forgot about the Astros owner. That sounds very credible, so I'd assume it looks good for BU.

As for those fans, oh my goodness... A few above-average years and suddenly they act like Tech fans on crack. Especially when it comes to bball.