View Full Version : NewsOK editorials

Roadhawg
11-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I wonder who writes the editorials for the Oklahoman. Whoever it is doesn't seem to like lawyers very much, especially trial lawyers.

kevinpate
11-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Imagine that. An editorial page partial to big business interests doesn't seem to speak highly of professionals people utilize to hold those same interests accountable when there are misdeeds or harm has been caused. Such a world we live in.

Midtowner
11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Amen. Truth be told, I asked a clerk about it when I was filing something yesterday and they said that they didn't get near the volume they thought would happen and really didn't notice this massive spike in suits the Oklahoman was complaining about.

kevinpate
11-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Many of the recent changes impact only events arising after Nov. 1
Some changes only impact large damage levels.

But sheesh, to hear some tell, the world was going to end absent the recent changes as they were sooooooooooo critical to protect business from the legal beagles.

Myself, I think karma will be karma, and life simply goes on.

Roadhawg
11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Well if you lawyers weren't ambulance chasers and trolls, according to the Oklahoman Editorials lol

MikeOKC
11-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I wonder who writes the editorials for the Oklahoman. Whoever it is doesn't seem to like lawyers very much, especially trial lawyers.

The feeling of too many about trial lawyers: They're hated till 'ya need 'em.

PennyQuilts
11-03-2011, 01:23 PM
True enough. When I'd only been practicing a few years, I once was across the V from a senior attorney who was the most obnoxious, underhanded, mean SOB you'd ever not want to work with. I was doing employment law at the time and he specialized in whistle blowing cases. He actually specialized in getting settlements for his clients who made that sort of allegation.

In the course of working on some discovery, he looked me straight in the eye and told me my employer (a state agency) wasn't paying me nearly what I was worth. He actually tried to hire me away. I told him that I would rather defend something I agreed with than be a hired gun. He said everyone hates a hired gun until they need a good attorney. And he said that he was mean and spiteful on purpose. He said that the very people he grilled in a deposition and made look stupid would be the first ones to call him when they needed an attorney that would fight for them. And if anyone they cared about asked them for a recommendation, they would give them his name. And he was right. Over the years, I saw it happen over and over so we worked with each other quite a few times. I eventually respected a lot about him (even liked him - god help me) although I never trusted him to ever cut me the slightest courtesy - even if it wouldn't change the outcome. He had a reputation to uphold. That sort of lawyering is not my cup of tea which is why I never wanted to represent plaintiffs in civil litigation. Still, as far as I am concerned lawyers are the wrong target. Clients are the ones who hire them, businesses are the ones that settle and juries are the ones who award big bucks.

Pete
11-03-2011, 05:56 PM
as far as I am concerned lawyers are the wrong target. Clients are the ones who hire them, businesses are the ones that settle and juries are the ones who award big bucks.

Yep. It's called advocacy and our whole legal system is based on it.

You hire someone to be your unfailing, aggressive advocate and fight like hell for your side. It's not their job to determine who is right and wrong and apart from something completely frivolous, they should be there to represent their client's best interest.

There are those that take advantage of our liberal justice system but it is liberal for a reason... The foundation for our entire democracy is making sure the little guy isn't stepped on. Thus, it's easy to bring lawsuits and for the most part, our justice system does a good job of being fair.