View Full Version : Prevalence of Texting

PennyQuilts
10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/jimcostafilms1#p/u/13/47EDdvSqn7Y

Bride texting during her wedding. I can die now, I've seen everything. = )

HewenttoJared
10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
It's a pretty serious issue for classrooms, but I left mine in the prep room at my wedding and so did the bride.

MadMonk
10-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Wow, talk about a lack of sense of propriety. The groom's facial expressions are hilarious, I thought he was about to reach over the take it from her.

PennyQuilts
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow, talk about a lack of sense of propriety. The groom's facial expressions are hilarious, I thought he was about to reach over the take it from her.

I think that might have been her dad. If so, I expect he was pretty happy to have someone to take her off his hands. =)

Thunder
10-31-2011, 03:54 PM
She will be texting during the divorce court.

RadicalModerate
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
The most frightening part of the story is that she will probably reproduce . . .
(Before the divorce) . . .

The second most frightening part of the story is that it was from 2008.

Maybe there is a mall fountain just waiting for her to show up.
Perhaps "wishing well" might be a better description than "fountain" . . .

Sorry . . . I watched too many "Twilight Zone" and "Thriller" episodes when I was a child.
I never expected the stories to show up in real life.

MadMonk
10-31-2011, 10:25 PM
I think that might have been her dad. If so, I expect he was pretty happy to have someone to take her off his hands. =)
Yeah, I realized that after reading further into the notes at the bottom of the video. Must have been embarrassing for him!

MDot
10-31-2011, 11:10 PM
If my feyonce did that when we are up there fixing to say our "I do's" I would just throw my hands up and walk away...

Roadhawg
11-01-2011, 09:48 AM
amazing..... simply amazing, and ignorant

Bill Robertson
11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Maybe a ballgame isn't the same as a wedding but I went to games 1 and 2 of the World Series. Tickets started at $250 or so and where I sat they were $375. The 20 something couple next to me could not tell you a single play because all they did was text friends and laugh at the replies. Why spend $750 + beer (many) and snacks to sit and text all night?

PennyQuilts
11-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Maybe a ballgame isn't the same as a wedding but I went to games 1 and 2 of the World Series. Tickets started at $250 or so and where I sat they were $375. The 20 something couple next to me could not tell you a single play because all they did was text friends and laugh at the replies. Why spend $750 + beer (many) and snacks to sit and text all night?

Maybe daddy gave them the tickets?

PennyQuilts
11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Okay, confession time - am I the only one who wakes up at 3:30 in the morning and checks her e-mail, the weather and the news on her iphone?

MDot
11-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Okay, confession time - am I the only one who wakes up at 3:30 in the morning and checks her e-mail, the weather and the news on her iphone?

I do but only if my phone alerts me or I just wake up curious, but not an every night type of thing. Oh, and I'm a guy not a girl. ;-)

HewenttoJared
11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I used to, back when I had free time.

PennyQuilts
11-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I do but only if my phone alerts me or I just wake up curious, but not an every night type of thing. Oh, and I'm a guy not a girl. ;-)

Well, I should have clarified it is just if I wake up or the dogs want out or something. I am not so nuts that I make a point of checking my phone in the middle of the night.

bandnerd
11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't do that, but I did have a dream that I woke up, checked my work email, and read an email thread where I basically got in trouble.

I equate texting like this to an addiction, and it has to be treated in some way. Person-to-person communication is still important, but people are forgetting that, especially the younger generation.

MDot
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Well, I should have clarified it is just if I wake up or the dogs want out or something. I am not so nuts that I make a point of checking my phone in the middle of the night.

A lot of people are nuts enough to do so. (those of you on here that do, take no I offense, I love everyone :-)

PennyQuilts
11-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't do that, but I did have a dream that I woke up, checked my work email, and read an email thread where I basically got in trouble.

I equate texting like this to an addiction, and it has to be treated in some way. Person-to-person communication is still important, but people are forgetting that, especially the younger generation.

I am sure you are correct and probably see a lot of this in your job. Sometimes, I think I should put away the iphone or computer for a few days just because I should. I am sure I'd get a lot more constructive things accomplished.

bandnerd
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
We have a strict cell phone policy at our school, and I rarely catch a kid texting in my class. I can't say anything for other teachers. I have taken phones up before, but less than five over the last five years! Set an expectation and they meet it, it would seem. There are times that the kids ask to use them and I allow it, because it's a legit reason; however, I have a phone in my classroom and they are always welcome to use that, and will usually choose the land line.

Also, our building blocks most cell signals lol. It makes things a little easier with thick 1920s concrete walls.

MDot
11-01-2011, 08:22 PM
I prefer talking to people face-to-face. Rarely do I text, and I'm 17 so I'm the odd one out. I do communicate through Facebook, Twitter, and emails sometimes but I do not rely on them to communicate unless they are a distant friend, for example, my cousin who lives in Chandler, AZ who I haven't seen in years I actually caught up with using Facebook and am planning to fly out to Tucson soon to see her.

I know, shocker, huh?

PennyQuilts
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
We have a strict cell phone policy at our school, and I rarely catch a kid texting in my class. I can't say anything for other teachers. I have taken phones up before, but less than five over the last five years! Set an expectation and they meet it, it would seem. There are times that the kids ask to use them and I allow it, because it's a legit reason; however, I have a phone in my classroom and they are always welcome to use that, and will usually choose the land line.

Also, our building blocks most cell signals lol. It makes things a little easier with thick 1920s concrete walls.
Good to hear. Back east in one of the counties were I worked, all the kids had cell phones in the classes and it was a zoo. The school tried to clamp down on them because people were using them to cheat and taking photos was also a disruption but the parents were pitching fits, claiming their kids needed to be able to get hold of them in case the school was attacked. True story. It might have been a product of the time with some school shootings/911 had parents freaked but it was the nuttiest thing. Hopefully, they've gotten more sane about it.

MDot
11-01-2011, 08:30 PM

That's how it is at my school. I have looked at my phone before during class just like every other student but I have never, nor do I often see others texting at my school. There will sometimes be that moron who is just lazy and to concerned about their friend to let them alone. This is what I always told my girlfriend and friends; "I am more concerned with doing my work and learning so I can try and have a successful future but I will talk to you when I see you" and they were all fine with that.

bandnerd
11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I had no idea you were a teenager, MDot. My respect level for you just went up a whole lot of notches, given your posts elsewhere.

MDot
11-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I had no idea you were a teenager, MDot. My respect level for you just went up a whole lot of notches, given your posts elsewhere.

Thank you, bandnerd. It has surprised quite a few people on this forum when they find out how young I am, which I rarely mention unless I'm in a PM and the topic comes up.

Thunder
11-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm MDot :LolLolLol

MDot
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm MDot :LolLolLol

You lie. Lol

Thunder
11-02-2011, 12:02 AM
You lie. Lol

Since I'm MDot, then I lie would mean you lie. We both lie. Lie. Oh, what a lie! :LolLolLol

MDot
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Since I'm MDot, then I lie would mean you lie. We both lie. Lie. Oh, what a lie! :LolLolLol

You just confused my brain into a coma. :noldus:

MadMonk
11-02-2011, 08:20 AM
I equate texting like this to an addiction, and it has to be treated in some way.
I'm beginning to realize this. I recently had cause to ground my daughter from her cellphone (thank you AT&T Smart Limits) and you'd have thought I was pulling out her fingernails by how upset she was over it.

MDot
11-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm beginning to realize this. I recently had cause to ground my daughter from her cellphone (thank you AT&T Smart Limits) and you'd thought I was pulling out her fingernails by how upset she was over it.

My sister can be that way. It's sorta funny to me honestly but that's cause I"m not the one trying to deal with her. Lol

PennyQuilts
11-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Me too. And it already started pretty high.

Of Sound Mind
11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
If my feyonce...
Really???

If my fiancé couldn't spell "fiancé", "I would just throw my hands up and walk away..."

MDot
11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Me too. And it already started pretty high.

Thank you PennyQuilts. You were one of my favorite posters on here before I joined.

PennyQuilts
11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
= )

MDot
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Really???

If my fiancé couldn't spell "fiancé", "I would just throw my hands up and walk away..."

Lol look who's back... The wicked witch of the South. Are you the spell check I downloaded a couple weeks ago? If so, where you been at? Lol

And if you would "throw your hands up and walk away" on your fiance for spelling a word wrong then you might as well "throw your hands up and walk away" on life. Good thing we ain't getting married cause I'd misspell words all the time just for you. Thanks for playing though, it just makes it more fun when you butt in. :Smiley199

You're still fun to screw around with as long as I'm in a good mood. =)

Of Sound Mind
11-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Lol look who's back... The wicked witch of the South. Are you the spell check I downloaded a couple weeks ago? If so, where you been at? Lol

And if you would "throw your hands up and walk away" on your fiance for spelling a word wrong then you might as well "throw your hands up and walk away" on life. Good thing we ain't getting married cause I'd misspell words all the time just for you. Thanks for playing though, it just makes it more fun when you butt in. :Smiley199

You're still fun to screw around with as long as I'm in a good mood. =)

Fortunately, my fiancé was (and still is) able to spell and we've been happily married for 20 years now.

MDot
11-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Fortunately, my fiancé was (and still is) able to spell and we've been happily married for 20 years now.

Congratulations on your long marriage. And fortunately for me, I know how to spell and have always known how to spell but everyone makes mistakes, right? Even "holier than thou" Of Sound Mind has made a misspelling or mistake in his oh so wonderful, fairytale life of words. :Smiley199

MikeLucky
11-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Congratulations on your long marriage. And fortunately for me, I know how to spell and have always known how to spell but everyone makes mistakes, right? Even "holier than thou" Of Sound Mind has made a misspelling or mistake in his oh so wonderful, fairytale life of words. :Smiley199

Or you could spell things correctly and use good grammar to indicate that you are, in fact, not an idiot. But, you might be able to find some solace in the fact that you are sadly in the majority when it comes to this topic. I've often found it quite ironic that almost universally when you hear some person complain that immigrants should learn OUR language, they in fact themselves aren't even fluent in OUR language.

MDot
11-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Or you could spell things correctly and use good grammar to indicate that you are, in fact, not an idiot. But, you might be able to find some solace in the fact that you are sadly in the majority when it comes to this topic. I've often found it quite ironic that almost universally when you hear some person complain that immigrants should learn OUR language, they in fact themselves aren't even fluent in OUR language.

Aaaannnddd here's another one. Lol love you anyways Mr. Perfect. :Smiley036 and I'm an idiot cause I'm from the south. =)