View Full Version : Bob Barry Sr Dies

BB37
10-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the A&E forum, but ultimately decided Sports was most appropriate:

http://newsok.com/long-time-oklahoma-sportscaster-bob-barry-sr.-dies/article/3618563?custom_click=lead_story_title

Very sad news. Bob broadcast his last Soooner football game in January, and his last basketball game in March. Truly, the end of an era.

Condolences to his family.

Pete
10-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Horrible news!

Bob Sr. was a legend and an incredibly nice man.

He seemed in good health recently... I wonder what the heck happened?

jn1780
10-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Horrible news!

Bob Sr. was a legend and an incredibly nice man.

He seemed in good health recently... I wonder what the heck happened?

It seems like retiring has that affect on people. At least he had the chance to do what he loved up until the last year of his life.

Pete
10-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Wasn't he still doing sports for Channel 4? Or had he retired from that as well?

Thunder
10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
He retired from KFOR in 2008 and his son took over the Sports Director since then. This is truly sad news to hit at such unexpected time. OU Sooners will feel the impact and its gonna be special when OU go onto win the BCS in honor of him.

BB37
10-30-2011, 01:00 PM
KFOR reports that his neighbors had become concerned when he didn't pick up his morning newspapers; apparently he died at home unexpectedly.

I remember hearing him on WKY 930 doing OU BPB when I was a kid. To still be able to hear him doing PBP in my late 50s was truly remarkable.

I feel a little older today.

SoonerQueen
10-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I grew up watching Bob Barry Sr on tv and listening to him do play by play on the radio. He was a marvelous person, one you couldn't help but like.I always thought how cool it was that BBJ followed in his dad's footsteps and went into sports media.It's nice that the last game he saw was an OU win.I'm sure he loved that. My thought and prayers go out to the Barry family and all of those people that were close to him in life. He will be missed.

Dustin
10-30-2011, 02:08 PM
This SUCKS! My day has just been ruined. What a tragic loss. Rest in peace Bob.

MDot
10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
One of the greatest men to walk the earth, absolutely wonderful man. He will be missed by many, especially myself, I can't look at his picture without tearing up. RIP Bob.

OKCisOK4me
10-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear. I always enjoyed the BBS!

theparkman81
10-30-2011, 04:28 PM
What a very sad day in Oklahoma, grew up watching him on channel 4, thoughts and prayers are with his family today.

Dustin
10-30-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mHlOEXggQ

dmoor82
10-30-2011, 04:50 PM
RIP BOB!You were the best!

ou48A
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
He was an incredibly polite man.

A few years ago while my wife and I were the only 2 people eating on one side of a restaurant Mr. Barry walked in and sat down near us. We were not paying any attention to the TV but yet he asked us if it was ok to change the TV channel to a baseball game.
That was just the type of man he was.

There was nobody any better in the sports media business who consistently handled people with such great grace and decency.

ou48A
10-31-2011, 10:01 AM
One of my fondest memories of Bob and of OU occurred in 1968 when Bob came on the WKY CH4 noon TV news to excitingly announce that Steve Owens had just won the Heisman trophy.
I had walked home from grade school to eat lunch at home, but I ran back to school to tell my friends, teacher and principle.
After making a phone call to confirm the news the principle announced the news to cheers to the entire school.

RIP big Bob

Pete
10-31-2011, 10:12 AM
To me Bob Barry was OKC sports, as he started on Channel 4 in 1966 and I was six years old at the time. I became a huge sports fan early in life and he was almost always the guy I would watch at a time when the only really sports news was from the 10PM local TV broadcast. No such thing as ESPN or anything like that for a huge part of his career.

He was simply the voice/face of sports in Oklahoma and is tied to countless fond memories for me and thousands of others.

And anyone that ever knew or even just met the man said the exact same thing: he was one of the nicest guys around.

This news really makes me blue. A part of Oklahoma history and my past died along with Bob Sr. yesterday. I'll really miss the guy.

MDot
10-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Even Texas and Nebraska fans are telling of their memories of Bob Barry Sr. I'm just glad they had the opputunity to listen to one of the greatest sports announcers of all time.

This is a time where rivalries don't matter anymore, it's a time of respect, mourning, and celebrating some of our fondest memories of him, and many and great were they.

It really does feel like I've lost a family member and I know I'm not the only one to feel this way. May God be with the Bob Sr. family.

jn1780
10-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Even Texas and Nebraska fans are telling of their memories of Bob Barry Sr. I'm just glad they had the opputunity to listen to one of the greatest sports announcers of all time.

This is a time where rivalries don't matter anymore, it's a time of respect, mourning, and celebrating some of our fondest memories of him, and many and great were they.

It really does feel like I've lost a family member and I know I'm not the only one to feel this way. May God be with the Bob Sr. family.

Some of these ESPN announcers are probably more bias than he was and their not suppose to be representing any particular school. Lol

ljbab728
11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I had to go the the OU campus this afternoon on business. I wasn't even thinking about this, but, as I was leaving the campus driving north I happened to pass the church where the funeral occured. It was about 3:30PM and there was a very large crowd outside of the church with media cameras set up everywhere. It's a very nice church but not large. It must have been packed inside.

MDot
11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I bet it was packed.