View Full Version : Digging Problem

Keith
04-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Ok, I know that I have asked this question before, however, I don't remember the answer. Last year my dog was digging holes in the yard, left and right, for some unknown reason. I figured it was because she was trying to find a cool place to lay.

Well, it looks like my theory was wrong.

In the last three weeks, she has dug so many holes in my backyard, that I am going to have to bring in some topsoil to fill the holes. We are talking 10-15 holes in my yard.

How can I get her to quit digging? I was having Chemlawn spray my yard for weeds so that I would have a nice green lawn, but I had them stop, because my backyard looks like a mine field.

dirtrider73068
04-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Have you watched the digging to see what it is she doing after she is done digging the hole? I would try to catch her digging and then see what it is that does after she is done digging to see if she lays in the hole or plays in the hole or just digs to get rid of eccess energy. Maybe its because she is bored so she finds its fun to dig? Could it be she is nervous and she digs to relax? Does she have toys to play with so she doesn't get bored? Or is she digging to get attention knowing you will come after her when she is done digging? Dogs are very smart and know what to do and when to do it to get a owners attention. Has there been anything put in the yard that she can smell and smell and is trying to find what that wonderful smell is she likes of? It could be a number of reasons, but they do say to train a dog of a bad habit is to get a small coffee can put some pebbles in it and when they are doing bad or behaveing bad shake the can at them not to feirce just to make a point and for it to scare them a little may make her stop digging. Worth a try.

mranderson
04-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Could do what I did when my dog was digging. I dug a six inch trench and filled it with concrete.

Patrick
04-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Just concrete your "hole" yard! That will solve the problem.

Better yet, if your dog digs deep enough, maybe he/she will discover oil! You'd be set for life in today's oil market.

Midtowner
04-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Try this, found it on a website:

The Old Fashioned Way to make sure that the dog gets a motivational negative association when he digs is to:

Step 1.) Leave a pinch collar and tab (one foot leash) on the dog when he's outside in the yard with another dog.

Step 2.) Bury hardware mesh or chicken wire in the spot where he's been digging. The chicken wire should be buried two to three inches below the surface. Dogs don't like scraping their paws against this stuff. So, right off the bat you've got an immediate negative association.

Step 3.) Spy on him and just wait until he start to dig.

Step 4.) As soon as he begins to dig, yell "No No No!" as you run outside and give the dog a correction. As long as you continue to say "No no no" as you run to the dog, the dog WILL still associate the correction with the behavior.

Step 5.) Be 100% consistent until you are 100% sure that the dog isn't digging any more.

Jay
04-08-2005, 12:13 AM
How to Solve the Digging Problem

Digging is a normal behavior for most dogs, but may occur for widely varying reasons.

Your dog may be:

! seeking entertainment ! seeking prey

! seeking comfort or protection ! seeking attention

! seeking escape

Dogs don’t dig, however, out of spite, revenge or a desire to destroy your yard. Finding ways to make the

area where the dog digs unappealing may be effective, however, it’s likely that he’ll just begin digging in

other locations or display other unacceptable behavior, such as chewing or barking. A more effective

approach is to address the cause of the digging, rather than creating location aversions.

Seeking Entertainment

Dogs may dig as a form of self-play when they learn that roots and soil “play back.” Your dog may be

digging for entertainment if:

! He’s left alone in the yard for long periods of time without opportunities for interaction with you

! His environment is relatively barren, without playmates or toys

! He’s a puppy or adolescent (under three years old) and doesn’t have other outlets for his energy

! He’s the type of dog (like a terrier) that is bred to dig as part of his “job”

! He’s a particularly active type of dog (like the herding or sporting breeds) who needs an active job

to be happy

! He’s recently seen you “playing” in the dirt (gardening or working in the yard)

Recommendations:

We recommend expanding your dog’s world and increasing his “people time” the following ways:

• Walk your dog regularly. It’s good exercise, mentally and physically, for both of you!

• Teach your dog to fetch a ball or Frisbee and practice with him as often as possible.

• Teach your dog a few commands and/or tricks. Practice these commands/tricks every day for five

to ten minutes.

• Take an obedience class with your dog and practice daily what you’ve learned.

• Keep interesting toys in the yard to keep your dog busy even when you’re not around (Kong-type

toys filled with treats or busy-box toys). Rotating the toys makes them seem new and interesting.

• For dedicated diggers, provide an “acceptable digging area.” Choose an area of the yard

where it’s okay for your dog to dig and cover the area with loose soil or sand. If you catch your

dog digging in an unacceptable area, interrupt the behavior with a loud noise, say, “no dig” and

take the dog to his designated digging area. When he digs in the approved spot, reward him with

praise. Make the unacceptable digging spots unattractive (at least temporarily) by setting sharp

rocks or chicken wire into the dirt.

Seeking Prey

Dogs may try to pursue burrowing animals or insects that live in your yard. Your dog may be pursuing

prey if:

! The digging is in a very specific area, usually not at the boundaries of the yard

! The digging is at the roots of trees or shrubs

! The digging is in a “path” layout

Recommendations:

We recommend that you search for possible signs of pests and then rid your yard of them. Avoid methods

that could be toxic or dangerous to your pets.

Seeking Comfort or Protection

In hot weather, dogs may dig holes in order to lie in the cool dirt. They may also dig to provide themselves

with shelter from cold, wind or rain, or to try to find water. Your dog may be digging for protection or

comfort if:

! The holes are near foundations of buildings, large shade trees or a water source

! Your dog doesn’t have a shelter or his shelter is exposed to the hot sun or cold winds

! You find evidence that your dog is lying in the holes he digs

Recommendations:

We recommend that you provide your dog with other sources for the comfort or protection he seeks.

• Provide an insulated doghouse. Make sure it affords protection from wind and sun.

• Your dog may still prefer a hole in the ground, in which case you can try the “approved digging

area” recommendation described above. Make sure the allowed digging area is in a protected

spot.

• Provide plenty of fresh water in a bowl that can’t be tipped over.

Seeking Attention

Any behavior can become attention-getting behavior if dogs learn that they receive attention for

engaging in it (even punishment is a form of attention). Your dog may be digging to get attention if:

! He digs in your presence

! His other opportunities for interaction with you are limited

Recommendations:

We recommend that you ignore the behavior.

• Don’t give your dog attention for digging (remember, even punishment is attention).

• Make sure your dog has sufficient time with you on a daily basis, so he doesn’t have to resort to

misbehaving to get your attention.

Seeking Escape

Dogs may escape to get to something, to get somewhere or to get away from something. For more

detailed information, please see our handout: “The Canine Escape Artist.” Your dog may be digging to

escape if:

! He digs along the fence line

! He digs under the fence

Recommendations:

We recommend the following in order to keep your dog in the yard while you work on the behavior

modifications recommended in our handout: “The Canine Escape Artist.”

• Bury chicken wire at the base of the fence (sharp edges rolled under)

• Place large rocks, partially buried, along the bottom of the fence line

• Bury the bottom of the fence one to two feet under the ground

• Lay chain link fencing on the ground (anchored to the bottom of the fence) to make it

uncomfortable for your dog to walk near the fence

Regardless of the reason for digging, we don’t recommend:

# Punishment after the fact. Not only does this not address the cause of the behavior, any digging that’s

motivated by fear or anxiety, will be made worse. Punishment may also cause anxiety in dogs that

aren’t currently fearful.

# Staking a dog out near a hole he’s dug or filling the hole with water. These techniques don’t address

the cause of the behavior, or the act of digging.

 1999 Dumb Friends League. All Rights Reserved. HTST_R99

Keith
04-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Have you watched the digging to see what it is she doing after she is done digging the hole? I would try to catch her digging and then see what it is that does after she is done digging to see if she lays in the hole or plays in the hole or just digs to get rid of eccess energy. Maybe its because she is bored so she finds its fun to dig? Could it be she is nervous and she digs to relax? Does she have toys to play with so she doesn't get bored? Or is she digging to get attention knowing you will come after her when she is done digging? Dogs are very smart and know what to do and when to do it to get a owners attention. Has there been anything put in the yard that she can smell and smell and is trying to find what that wonderful smell is she likes of? It could be a number of reasons, but they do say to train a dog of a bad habit is to get a small coffee can put some pebbles in it and when they are doing bad or behaveing bad shake the can at them not to feirce just to make a point and for it to scare them a little may make her stop digging. Worth a try.
I will be outside enjoying the weather and she will just start digging. She will stick her nose in the hole, sniff a few times, and keep digging. She has toys galore in the backyard aher disposal, and the kids and I play with her all the time.

"As soon as he begins to dig, yell "No No No!" as you run outside and give the dog a correction. As long as you continue to say "No no no" as you run to the dog, the dog WILL still associate the correction with the behavior."

I tried that many times and it does not work. I mowed the lawn last night, and counted 25 holes that she has dug. I may try the small coffee can routine.