View Full Version : Memorial Rd just east of MacArthur

rizzo
10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Anyone know what is being built on the land south of Gaillardia?

okc_bel_air
10-26-2011, 12:07 PM
A new Mercy hospital.

http://www.news9.com/story/15298279/mercy-breaks-ground-on-new-rehabilitation

MDot
10-26-2011, 12:23 PM
I drove right by here the other day and completely forgot to look and see how far they had gotten. :doh:

oneforone
10-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Basically they are creating their own version of Jim Thorpe at INTEGRIS. If you noticed Mercy does not venture too far from north end of the Metro. It appears they are trying to protect their Oklahoma Mothership from the competition. I noticed they are on the rural hospital buying spree since it paid off so well for INTEGRIS over the last decade. I am just wondering which one will buy Midwest Regional and/or Deaconess. Rumor has it both hospitals are on not doing so hot these days. The only way to turn either one of them around would be to put them under the INTEGRIS or Mercy banner.

MDot
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Basically they are creating their own version of Jim Thorpe at INTEGRIS. If you noticed Mercy does not venture too far from north end of the Metro. It appears they are trying to protect their Oklahoma Mothership from the competition. I noticed they are on the rural hospital buying spree since it paid off so well for INTEGRIS over the last decade. I am just wondering which one will buy Midwest Regional and/or Deaconess. Rumor has it both hospitals are on not doing so hot these days. The only way to turn either one of them around would be to put them under the INTEGRIS or Mercy banner.

Really? I heard Deaconess was doing just fine, but also my resource isn't anywhere near as reliable as someone who actually works in this specific field. When I was younger I always though Deaconess was part of Baptist since those two are almost literally split by just a highway.

Bellaboo
10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure how good Mercy is actually doing. Two years ago, I had a relative in ICU there, who was told by the attending doctors that the only chance they had for survival was to move next door to Oklahoma Heart hospital. There is a connection between the two hospitals, but the Heart hospital is owned by the doctors, run by the nurses, and is a Beacon Award receipient, giving them a 'top ten' hospital accredidation.

MDot
10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure how good Mercy is actually doing. Two years ago, I had a relative in ICU there, who was told by the attending doctors that the only chance they had for survival was to move next door to Oklahoma Heart hospital. There is a connection between the two hospitals, but the Heart hospital is owned by the doctors, run by the nurses, and is a Beacon Award receipient, giving them a 'top ten' hospital accredidation.

I recently had a family member that was at Mercy a few months ago to get a brain tumor removed and he told me about how "lackluster" they have become and how it seems as if they're struggling for "survival", no pun intended. I have never personally had to stay at Mercy, but he's not the only one who has noticed this, as my step-father is constantly in and out of there all the time and he too has gotten frusterated with how they have become as of recently. I know that doesn't mean they are doomed, but it's obvious that there isn't just a few people who have had kinda turned there heads when it comes to Mercy.

yukong
10-29-2011, 01:24 PM

Oklahoma Heart Hospital North was built and originally owned by Oklahoma Cardiovascular Associates, a group of cardiovascular doctors. Two or three years ago, Mercy Hospital bought 51% ownership. Cardiovascular Associates owns 49%. I believe Heart Hospital South is 49% Cardiovascular Associates and 51% Midwest Regional/Norman Regional. But not sure on that.

As far as Mercy is concerned, my wife was there a couple of years ago. We were quite happy with her care. I have also had other family there, and we have always been pleased. Heart Hospital is the best though.

Jim Kyle
10-29-2011, 04:18 PM
I've had more experience that I would have preferred with both Oklahoma Heart Hospital and Mercy -- in both cases, the care is outstanding in my book. I've been a patient of OHH for essentially the entire time it has been open, and credit the Heart Failure Institute there with keeping me alive -- and for the past five years, in remission from a situation that less than 20 years ago required a heart transplant for any chance of survival. It's no longer owned by the doctors, however, since the new federal healthcare legislation makes it ineligible to deal with Medicare if it were. Instead, there's an intermediate layer of ownership. The doctors are now employees of OHH Physicians, rather than being the owners.

My experience with Mercy includes two admissions through the ER, one for me for a broken leg at 1:30 a.m. and the other for my wife's gallstone attack. In both cases the care was excellent. I also had cardiovascular surgery there, to remove 90% blockages from both carotid arteries, more than a decade ago, before OHH opened for business. My most recent involvement there, the broken leg three years ago, involved surgery to reconstruct the bone and insert a metal plate, followed by two weeks of rehab therapy. I could not have asked for better care.

As for Integris, I've avoided them for nearly 40 years, since an ER visit there in 1972 with a badly cut hand resulted in my having a permanently deformed pinkie on my right hand. The resident assured me no tendon had been damaged. He was wrong. By the time the damage was detected by my personal physician, a week later, it was beyond repair.

Bellaboo
10-30-2011, 08:57 AM
I had a double bypass at Integris 8 years ago and everything went just fine.......no staph infections here...

Snowman
10-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Given the proximity it makes sense not to duplicate every service. Getting a patient a stable as the facilities they have available can and then moving them to a place that can better treat them is quite common.