View Full Version : Best way to sell a used iPhone

Pete
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I have a iPhone 3g 16GB that is drawing dust after buying a new iPhone 4.

It works like new and I have the original box and everything else and am planning to put it out on eBay.

But looking at the listings it seems all of them are jailbroken and unlocked. Mine is neither but know I can do it with sn0wbreeze or similar. Just wondering if that is the best way to go before starting an auction?

TIA for any input.

Thunder
10-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Leave it as is unless you know how to root it and make it like awesome, then it will be attractive. I rooted my Samsung Epic to remove all of Sprint and Samsung's junk and tracking programs. Improved the phone greatly on speed and battery life with custom ROM, etc. With that, I can used wired/wireless tether/hotspot without paying $30 xtra to Sprint. Plus other features. Just depend on what you want to do. A rooted phone with proper impressive advertising will worth more than plain phone out of the box. Depends how you word it up and how experienced you are on changing your iPhone. You could totally switch your iPhone's OS to Android. LoL

How about you try to sell as is first and give it two weeks? If nothing, then hit the Internet world on rooting the phone. There are so many options to do it. Some people can (forgot the word) change something in order to use an iPhone on a prepaid plan to get everything for less.

HewenttoJared
10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Radio Shack will take it off your hands with very little hassle other than it being in-store credit. Craig's List is also a good choice. If someone wants a jail broken or unlocked iPhone hey need to know how to do it themselves, so I don't see it having a huge effete on the price.

BBatesokc
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
I prefer CraigsList over EBay. The box and all the goodies and like new condition will help a lot. Just don't set expectations too high. A new 4s is only $199 so if you got $75-$100 I'd think that would be good. But I havent checked prices and u probably have.

Pete
10-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3g are going for $200+ on eBay.

Isn't the only way you can get a 4/s is with a contract? I think this is why the unlocked 3g's in good condition are going that high.

BBatesokc
10-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3g are going for $200+ on eBay.

Isn't the only way you can get a 4/s is with a contract? I think this is why the unlocked 3g's in good condition are going that high.

Probably. But I never understood the aversion to a cell phone contract. People don't switch carriers often as there are not many to choose from when dealing with an iPhone. But if they are getting $200 then you're in good shape. Sprint gave me $100 for my Android when I bought my iPhone 4s's. I sold the extended battery for another $35.

Roadhawg
10-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Leave it as is unless you know how to root it and make it like awesome, then it will be attractive. I rooted my Samsung Epic to remove all of Sprint and Samsung's junk and tracking programs. Improved the phone greatly on speed and battery life with custom ROM, etc. With that, I can used wired/wireless tether/hotspot without paying $30 xtra to Sprint. Plus other features. Just depend on what you want to do. A rooted phone with proper impressive advertising will worth more than plain phone out of the box. Depends how you word it up and how experienced you are on changing your iPhone. You could totally switch your iPhone's OS to Android.

I thought about rooting my Android but haven't done it yet. I did instal a app on it that lets me use it for high speed internet for my laptop.

Thunder
10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I thought about rooting my Android but haven't done it yet. I did instal a app on it that lets me use it for high speed internet for my laptop.

I think if rooted, using the data for your laptop will be uncapped and unlimited. I compared with Sprint's HotSpot and an app for rooted phone. The one by Sprint is slower. LoL What app you have? Does it restrict your speed?

Roadhawg
10-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I think if rooted, using the data for your laptop will be uncapped and unlimited. I compared with Sprint's HotSpot and an app for rooted phone. The one by Sprint is slower. LoL What app you have? Does it restrict your speed?

I use PDANet and no restriction on speed. I can use it tethered or bluetooth but it doesn't make my phone a hotspot

Thunder
10-27-2011, 09:45 AM
I use PDANet and no restriction on speed. I can use it tethered or bluetooth but it doesn't make my phone a hotspot

That is a good one. I noticed that wired tethering is faster than using it as wireless wifi.

OKCTalker
10-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm looking to buy a second-hand iPad 2 right now, but am concerned about buying a stolen one (There was a story on ABC's Nightline last night about the proliferation of stolen electronics). Apple recommended that I ask the buyer where he bought it (online or in an Apple store), and then make a quick phone call to Apple to verify this. The iPad 2 has only been on the market for eight months, so if I'm not talking to the original owner, it's likely hot.

Pete
10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Also, you can ask for the serial number and see if it's registered on Apple's site.

If it's second-hand, it should already be registered to the person you are dealing with.

Roadhawg
10-27-2011, 01:59 PM
That is a good one. I noticed that wired tethering is faster than using it as wireless wifi.

I noticed that too and that's what I use.

BBatesokc
10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
My sprint mifi appears to be much faster when connect as opposed to wireless.