View Full Version : Any Nook or Kindle users?

Prunepicker
10-23-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm wanting to purchase on of these. Do these accept pdf files or
books that are already downloaded? What are your likes and dislikes.

I like the look of the Nook, the one that uses e-paper. Not interested
in the color units.

PennyQuilts
10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
All I know is I love my kindle (second generation). Just got my husband the Generation 3. He had been happy with the original and didn't want to upgrade but grudgingly accepted the gift and I can tell he really likes it. There are a few new editions out that are cheap, right now. Someone else might be able to tell you about the pdf files or already downloaded books.

The new ones have great battery life, don't have the glare, are fast and there are tons of books out there just waiting to be read. I often read thick books and have gotten so used to the Kindle that I prefer it - never thought that would happen but it has. Nice to have a thick book in kindle form so that isn't going to crush me if I fall asleep and it falls on my chest. I still buy "real" books if they have photos or are something I'd want to keep in the bookcase.

Prunepicker
10-23-2011, 10:12 PM
All I know is I love my kindle (second generation).
Is it e-paper or color? Does the keyboard bother you or pose any problems?

Prunepicker
10-23-2011, 10:39 PM
The Kindle Touch doesn't have a keyboard. I like that. Wi-fi, too.

jn1780
10-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Don't have Kindle or Nook personally, but both support PDF and i'm assuming they should support your downloaded content especially if its in PDF format.

From what I hear e-paper works really well outside in the sunlight compared to a tablet where glare can sometimes be an issue. On the other hand, you always need lighting for e-paper devices.

Prunepicker
10-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Don't have Kindle or Nook personally, but both support PDF and i'm
assuming they should support your downloaded content especially if
its in PDF format.

From what I hear e-paper works really well outside in the sunlight
compared to a tablet where glare can sometimes be an issue. On the
other hand, you always need lighting for e-paper devices.
I'm hearing mixed reviews about their ability to support pdf. The
majority say pdf doesn't work like a book. It's more like a computer
in that you have to move the page around to read it. I can live with
that.

Not being back lit isn't an issue for me. The books in my book cases
require a light source as well. I have a very good book light :-)

MikeOKC
10-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi Prune...We have three Kindle devices (2nd Gen) here in the house. My wife LOVES her Kindle. Best present I ever got her. She reads with it ALL the time. I don't use mine much anymore as I've pretty much migrated to the iPad; but even there, I LOVE the Kindle app which I use to read books and documents daily. The PDFs on the e-ink versions can be tricky due to the layout of some pdf files - double file columns seem to cause the most trouble. It's also not real easy to navigate on the smaller devices because of the screen size, you have to move your pdf around and use the zoom magnifier on most documents. The original Kindles also read .rtf and .txt files mailed to your device. It handles those very nicely. I like the keyboard, but can see where the lighter Kindles w/out the keyboard will be really nice. You said you weren't interested in the color, but the Kindle Fire will be a great small tablet. But just for reading books and documents - it's hard to beat any of the Kindles. Top-notch, as you would expect from Amazon.

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Nook app for iPad ^_^

PennyQuilts
10-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Is it e-paper or color? Does the keyboard bother you or pose any problems?

Not color. The keyboard is fine but I don't need to use it much. It isn't like an ipad so for its function, it is just fine.

MadMonk
10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
We bought a 2nd-gen Kindle for our daughter and now she does a lot of her AR reading on it. I like the screen, but do wish it was back-lit and in color. It would be nice if someone would invent one device that allows the user to choose either e-ink or a regular LED display at will.

Jim Kyle
10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I got my wife a Nook for her birthday, and she then got me one for Father's day, and we both like them very much. Ours are the "new" B&W models, not the original or color. One of the great features is the ability to adjust the type size. I've loaded a couple of PDF files onto mine and they seem to work just fine, but we mostly use the EPUB format. A number of good SF books are available, legally, for free on the web, and the ones I've bought have been just $6 each, less than the cost of a paperback. You can also check out up to 5 books at a time from the OKC public library, again via the web, and keep them for 14 days.

Don't bother with the book light B&N sells for them, though. I got one and its switch promptly failed so that I have to pull out the battery to turn it off! Do get one of the covers to protect the screen, however.

OKCTalker
10-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I've had the Kindle Keyboard with Wi-Fi & 3G for almost a year and it's terrific. Included in the $139 retail price is lifetime 3G access - a great feature/benefit. You can set up a Kindle email address and send PDF files to the device - works great, but I have rarely used it.

I've preordered the Kindle Fire which is almost the same size as the Kindle Keyboard, but primary differences are the touch screen, color display and browser. For $200, it will get me over my lust for a $499+ iPad 2.

Prunepicker
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Prune... We have three Kindle devices (2nd Gen) here in the house.
My wife LOVES her Kindle...
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Kindle Touch.

Prunepicker
10-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Not color. The keyboard is fine but I don't need to use it much. It isn't
like an ipad so for its function, it is just fine.
Thanks for the info, you've been a big help. I'm 99% certain I'm going
with the Kindle Touch. My sis and Bro n law have iPads, drool, but I
want e-paper or e-ink. Wanna get away from the refresh rate.

My book light is the Mighty Bright.

jn1780
10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
I've preordered the Kindle Fire which is almost the same size as the Kindle Keyboard, but primary differences are the touch screen, color display and browser. For $200, it will get me over my lust for a $499+ iPad 2.

You'll have to report how much you like your Kindle Fire. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells.

Lord Helmet
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
You can side load content onto a kindle if it's in .mobi or .pdf format.

Prunepicker
10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
There are 2 prices for the Kindle Touch at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-e-Reader-Touch-Screen-Wi-Fi-Special-Offers/dp/B005890G8Y). The Kindle Touch
priced at $99 is loaded with an assortment of:

Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers display on Kindle Touch
when you're not reading.
The one for $149 appears to be free from the preloaded garbage.
That will be the one I order. It has 3G, also.

Hawk405359
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a nook color and I really like it. I'd assume the e-print ones would run at least as well as it, and I only have ever had a few problems that weren't with the device, but with converting some books to e-books.

For PDF's, they support it, but the Nook doesn't treat it as a book but as a file you operate. There is an application you can download that treats them like reading a book though, or you can convert the file types to epub documents.

The only gripe is that even though you can adjust the font size, some of the conversion to e-books has font that is only slightly variable. One book I downloaded had fond that ranged from "way too large" to "barely fits a dozen words on a page." However, beyond that, I've greatly enjoyed it.

Prunepicker
01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I finally purchased the Nook Simple Touch. So far so good!
Fill'er up! And check the fiction and classics while you're
at it.

Jim Kyle
01-12-2012, 08:18 PM
You know, I hope, that you can check out books from the Metro Library, on line, downloading them to your Nook. You can have up to four books at a time and keep them for up to 14 days. Also depending on your tastes there's a lot of stuff that you can download for free, legally.

kevinpate
01-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I recently changed phones. The new one has a Kindle app. I am enjoying it so far. Hmmm come to think of it, I have a metro library card too. Thanks for the reminder.

Prunepicker
01-12-2012, 09:15 PM
You know, I hope, that you can check out books from the Metro
Library, on line, downloading them to your Nook. You can have up to
four books at a time and keep them for up to 14 days. Also depending
on your tastes there's a lot of stuff that you can download for free,
legally.
I know books can be checked out but how? I've been looking but to
no avail. Is there a specific place on the Metro website? Maybe I'm
not at the right site.

I've downloaded a few freebies that are public domain epub.

jn1780
01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I know books can be checked out but how? I've been looking but to
no avail. Is there a specific place on the Metro website? Maybe I'm
not at the right site.

I've downloaded a few freebies that are public domain epub.

You can go here.
http://metrolibrary.lib.overdrive.com/7AD835CD-C273-4478-9C74-F939525E51E1/10/388/en/Default.htm
or
The Pioneer Library System
http://pioneer.lib.overdrive.com/FFB23F7A-F4C8-4397-B8A9-95C780FB911A/10/526/en/Default.htm
They have a few things to choose from. Need a library card of course.

OSUMom
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Getting the book to your Nook isn't as easy a process as you would think. You have to get Adobe Digital Edition on your PC and download it there first. Then you can move the file to your nook through the USB connection. It's odd you have to do that because I've heard the Nook has an android OS and I can download books from the library straight to my android phone using overdrive (this saved me when my husband was in the hospital a few months back). While I was doing research trying to figure out how to get the library book on my Nook I did read somewhere that B&N is working on making it where you can download the book straight to the Nook.

Jim Kyle
01-13-2012, 05:57 AM
My Nook's wifi feature seems to be hard-coded to only go to the B&N servers; this may be one reason for the need to go through Adobe Digital Editions in order to check out books from the OKC library. The Nook "registration" process does link the device to one specific PC, and that's the only PC you can use to transfer books in or out. This appears to be a requirement of the "digital rights management" or DRM system that many of the publishers use, that allows the publisher to actually remove books from your readers without your consent. Amazon has done so in a few cases, which is one of the reasons I never considered a Kindle...

Prunepicker
01-13-2012, 10:24 AM
You can go here.
http://metrolibrary.lib.overdrive.com/7AD835CD-C273-4478-9C74-F939525E51E1/10/388/en/Default.htm
or
The Pioneer Library System
http://pioneer.lib.overdrive.com/FFB23F7A-F4C8-4397-B8A9-95C780FB911A/10/526/en/Default.htm
They have a few things to choose from. Need a library card of course.
Thanks for the help.

Prunepicker
01-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks OSUmom and Jim.

I found some free books and downloaded them to my computer then
dragged them to the Nook's document folder. The Adobe thingy has
since been downloaded and so far isn't as bothersome as it sounds,
yet. Haven't tried the library book loan because I'm still reading
previously obtained books. One is a paperback I bought when I got
the Nook. There are some books that belong on the book shelf.

Jim Kyle
01-13-2012, 10:53 AM
I've actually found the Adobe program pretty easy to get along with. I even read the book with it, sometimes, without bothering to transfer it over to the Nook...

OSUMom
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks OSUmom and Jim.

I found some free books and downloaded them to my computer then
dragged them to the Nook's document folder. The Adobe thingy has
since been downloaded and so far isn't as bothersome as it sounds,
yet. Haven't tried the library book loan because I'm still reading
previously obtained books. One is a paperback I bought when I got
the Nook. There are some books that belong on the book shelf.

It isn't too hard once you do it once or twice. My problem was all the instructions I found weren't real specific on "Do this on your PC" and "Do this on your Nook". They just said do this and download that. I kept trying to do everything on my Nook until I got a hint somewhere the the PC needed to be involved and then it went much smoother. : )

OSUMom
01-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Does anyone else with a Nook have trouble with the search feature while shopping. Sometimes I find what I want, sometimes I don't. I mean I just searched on Stephen King. I get this at the top stephen king (144) and Sorry, No Results Found in the middle. Sometimes I have to try several times several different ways. Once it finds a book then it comes up everytime I search on it. Anyone else have this happen?

Jim Kyle
01-13-2012, 08:02 PM
I've never tried the search feature. In fact, I turned off the wifi in order to have longer battery life, and have never bought a "Nook book" from B&N although I did download one freebie from their Nook library (it was missing several pages in the middle and had lots of errors; typical for something that was scanned from a bad original and then converted). My purchased books for it all come from Baen Books, a great and relatively new SF/Fantasy publisher, and the free ones come from several places.