View Full Version : Study into strong beer, wine sales ended

Roadhawg
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Members of a panel looking at the potential sale of wine and high-point beer in grocery and convenience stores abruptly ended their task Thursday by voting to hold no more meetings.

http://newsok.com/study-into-strong-beer-wine-sales-ended-by-oklahoma-legislative-panel/article/3615385?custom_click=lead_story_title

Just the facts
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I think everyone saw this coming. The very idea that they would even find common ground is a joke. Clearly the people are going to have to tell the legislature what they want done because they aren't going to do it themselves.

skyrick
10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
I still get a kick out of Oklahomans referring to real beer as "strong" beer.

kevinpate
10-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Rut Rho. Looks like somebody finally read the memo that next year was an election year

Easy180
10-21-2011, 06:25 PM
The liquor cartel wins again

Bunty
10-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Well, when you're conservative, you believe in doing nothing. Interesting how they fear making wine and beer more accessible to teenagers, even they they would be banned from buying any as usual.

RadicalModerate
10-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Liquor "Cartel"?
Distribution Mafia/Cosa Nostra is more like it.
Well . . . Ain't it?

venture
10-21-2011, 11:18 PM

Kinda like "education lottery".

RadicalModerate
10-21-2011, 11:22 PM
'zackly.

Edited to Amend the above comment, by adding:

I think everyone saw this coming. The very idea that they would even find common ground is a joke. Clearly the people are going to have to tell the legislature what they want done because they aren't going to do it themselves.

Suggestion 1: Lose the pronouns in the third sentence. They cause confusion as to meaning and intent.
Suggestion 2: Check it out: The People Spoke in the past and The Judges shot down OUR opinion. Just like Tony Soprano. (or one of his henchmen) Metaphorically speaking of course . . . Let's just say they slapped around on the peoples' opinion with shoes before . . .

Questor
10-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Confounding the regulatory process to effect the flow of money and maintain trade barriers or monopolies. In American history, didn't they used to refer to that as corruption? How times have changed.

bille
10-22-2011, 10:50 AM

It's an actual term to describe anthing having more than 3.2% ABW (4% ABV). The term is used in other states that have similar 'low-point' laws in effect.

I think everybody could/should have expected this to happen. I'd like to think a real panel could be set up in the future with at least 50% subject matter experts. Some education definitely needs to happen otherwise the argument will always fall back on money (mostly buried underneath moral obligations or whatever else they think will most easily argue their point).

skyrick
10-22-2011, 11:21 AM
It's an actual term to describe anthing having more than 3.2% ABW (4% ABV). The term is used in other states that have similar 'low-point' laws in effect.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I drove a truck for Rich Distributing (Miller) in OKC from '76 to '79. What I was referring to is that there are only 6 states that sell "weak" beer (3.2). What OK, CO, KS, UT, MO & MN refer to as "strong" beer is just called "beer" everywhere else. Also OK is the only state that requires beer over 3.2% to be sold only at room temperature.

21st century to Oklahoma: "C'mon, join us!"

Bunty
10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I drove a truck for Rich Distributing (Miller) in OKC from '76 to '79. What I was referring to is that there are only 6 states that sell "weak" beer (3.2). What OK, CO, KS, UT, MO & MN refer to as "strong" beer is just called "beer" everywhere else. Also OK is the only state that requires beer over 3.2% to be sold only at room temperature.

LOL, what was the point of banning strong beer to be sold refrigerated? Were some Baptists fearful that when strong beer is cold more of it would be drunk?

skyrick
10-22-2011, 12:59 PM
LOL, what was the point of banning strong beer to be sold refrigerated? Were some Baptists fearful that when strong beer is cold more of it would be drunk?

That would be my guess. Kind of goes hand in hand with the brown bag law, requiring that all alcoholic beverages be in a paper sack or box before leaving the store, thus the nickname "package stores" for liquor stores. That way your neighbors can't see that you're a decadent boozer.

skyrick
10-22-2011, 01:04 PM
deleted, as I don't want to offend.

Roadhawg
10-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I still haven't figured out how 'strong' beer would be more accessible to teens. Isn't the 3.2 just as accessible now?

betts
10-22-2011, 02:42 PM
I still haven't figured out how 'strong' beer would be more accessible to teens. Isn't the 3.2 just as accessible now?

From what I heard regarding when my kids were teens, older teens who have fake IDs buy beer and hard liquor and resell it for outrageous prices to younger teens who can't pass for 21. Nothing like the entrepreneurial spirit at work here in Oklahoma!

My kids told me there was never any problem getting any kind of alcohol when they were underage. It wasn't really what I wanted to hear, but they get amazingly chatty about such things once they're old enough not to worry about parental discipline. We're foolish if we think where liquor is sold has any effect on underage drinking.

kevinpate
10-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Rumor has it that not all older teens and young adults were capitalists. Rumor also has it that some were downright altruistic.

However, we all know how rumors can be ... dead bang spot on accurate .. yeah, that sounds about right.

bille
10-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Out of all of those states still with '3-2' laws OK is the only one that doesn't allow refrigeration of anything in excess of that? Interesting...I assumed they had similar laws in handling of 'strong beer'.

Actually, it's not that it was banded (at least here in OK anyway) it's that it was never allowed to begin with. Prohibition was well in the works even back when OK became a state so alcohol was never allowed here even prior to the national prohibition. The 3-2 laws go all the way back to Cullen-Harrison Act and the eventual repeal of the 18th ammendment.

skyrick
10-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Out of all of those states still with '3-2' laws OK is the only one that doesn't allow refrigeration of anything in excess of that? Interesting...I assumed they had similar laws in handling of 'strong beer'.

Actually, it's not that it was banded (at least here in OK anyway) it's that it was never allowed to begin with. Prohibition was well in the works even back when OK became a state so alcohol was never allowed here even prior to the national prohibition. The 3-2 laws go all the way back to Cullen-Harrison Act and the eventual repeal of the 18th ammendment.

Like I said: Oklahoma and the 21st century = ships passing in the night.

Bunty
10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
My kids told me there was never any problem getting any kind of alcohol when they were underage. It wasn't really what I wanted to hear, but they get amazingly chatty about such things once they're old enough not to worry about parental discipline. We're foolish if we think where liquor is sold has any effect on underage drinking.
So the notion that underage kids can get a hold of pot easier than alcohol is a myth?

Questor
10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Here's an interesting wiki I recently stumbled upon that lists some details of alcohol laws by state:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

bluedogok
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
All states have some screwy liquor laws, granted some are more screwed up more than others.

Here is an article about a lawsuit brought by each of the three tiers against the State of Texas over the differences between the laws/rules that Texas wineries and craft brewers operate under and how the laws are contradictory and misleading.

Austin Chronicle - Speak No Ale: Beer Men Sue for Free Speech (http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2011-10-28/speak-no-ale-beer-men-sue-for-free-speech/)