View Full Version : WALMART to cut health benefits to a lot of their employees and raise premiums on the

Pages : [1] 2

Jesseda
10-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I think Walmart employees need to take action on this http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/21/8428252-wal-mart-rolls-back-health-care-benefits?GT1=43001

Just the facts
10-21-2011, 01:14 PM
nm

Jesseda
10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
nm
un yeah okay nm

Midtowner
10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Sounds like they should unionize.

OSUMom
10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm curious, how many places provide part-time employees with insurance benefits?

Midtowner
10-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I'm curious, how many places provide part-time employees with insurance benefits?

You're right. How dare those low wage workers do better than other low wage workers. It's a good thing, no a patriotic and American thing to make sure that the servant class be fully reliant on the state, the bankruptcy code and emergency rooms for their medical care. 'merica.

ou48A
10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Instead of getting rid of workers many employers have been cutting back on hours, raising premiums and cutting heath and other benefits because of the prolonged poor economy and because of new regulations.
The only way to reverse the trend is to do what is necessary to create a prosperous economy.

OSUMom
10-21-2011, 03:19 PM
You're right. How dare those low wage workers do better than other low wage workers. It's a good thing, no a patriotic and American thing to make sure that the servant class be fully reliant on the state, the bankruptcy code and emergency rooms for their medical care. 'merica.

I'm right about what? I asked a question.

Midtowner
10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah.. which regulations are affecting WalMart? Specifically?

Wal Mart just posted a 5.7% profit increase over last year in August.

MadMonk
10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
It's too bad those low wage workers are forced to work there due to a lack of laws against indentured servitude. It would be completely un-amurrican for them to leave for other employment.

Double Edge
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
The company cited rising health care costs, which have forced it to alter its insurance plans, the newspaper said. It said Wal-Mart noted that the change was not the result of the new federal health care law.

We need to finish what Obama started.

HewenttoJared
10-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Instead of getting rid of workers many employers have been cutting back on hours, raising premiums and cutting heath and other benefits because of the prolonged poor economy and because of new regulations.
The only way to reverse the trend is to do what is necessary to create a prosperous economy.

Or be willing to lose some of your profits and only rake in tens of billions instead of dozens of billions...

Stew
10-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Maybe they need to occupy Walmart.

Larry OKC
10-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Most don't that i am aware of, you have to be considered full time to get benefits and most places define that as being 37.5+ hrs/week (Wal-marts criteria is a bit lower) so even with the cutbacks they seem to be offering more than most others.

We need to finish what Obama started.
It didn't catch your quoted material but IIRC, Wal-mart was granted an exemption from some/all of the healthcare law??

Double Edge
10-21-2011, 10:26 PM
It didn't catch your quoted material but IIRC, Wal-mart was granted an exemption from some/all of the healthcare law??

Exemption? I'm not sure it would be required to involve an employer at all in fully socialized medicine. In fact, it would be far better IMO if we didn't.

The quoted material was from the story linked at the top of the thread. Obamacare had no effect on the decision according to walmart.

metro
10-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Welcome to he future of Obama care, more and more public sector benefits cuts

Bunty
10-21-2011, 10:53 PM

Explain how we can have abundant health care for all without Obamacare. Don't bring up about putting the private sector in charge of doing it, because they only come around once or twice a year with their volunteer free health clinics.

Double Edge
10-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Healthcare costs have doubled over the last nine years. When did Obamacare go into effect? (Be careful, it's a trick question.)

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://progressivetoo.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/healthcare-costs.jpg?w=490&h=439&sa=X&ei=mE2iTufAM7ODsgKOpdyNBQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc43wI&usg=AFQjCNEHb_4ZsTDpLbyLsFRvq0fRGYgMRQ

Bunty
10-21-2011, 11:52 PM
So conservatives, like Prunepicker, had best complain that health costs will triple due to ObamaCare over the next decade.

RadicalModerate
10-22-2011, 12:04 AM
just one more reason i NEVER shop at walmart.

(link to People of Walmart left blank intentionally)

rcjunkie
10-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Healthcare costs have doubled over the last nine years. When did Obamacare go into effect? (Be careful, it's a trick question.)

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://progressivetoo.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/healthcare-costs.jpg?w=490&h=439&sa=X&ei=mE2iTufAM7ODsgKOpdyNBQ&ved=0CAsQ8wc43wI&usg=AFQjCNEHb_4ZsTDpLbyLsFRvq0fRGYgMRQ

Translated means "if you think the cost increase was high before Obama, just you wait and see what happens when Obamacare is in full force"--In short means were screwed.

Double Edge
10-22-2011, 08:11 AM
The right have zero plan to do anything towards the underlying problem except blame Obama so don't expect things to get better anytime soon.

HewenttoJared
10-22-2011, 08:12 AM

The story plainly stated that this had nothing to do with the law.

Questor
10-22-2011, 10:58 AM

This strikes me as having incredibly great comedy potential.

Midtowner
10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
It's too bad those low wage workers are forced to work there due to a lack of laws against indentured servitude. It would be completely un-amurrican for them to leave for other employment.

The fact of the matter is that while many of you look down your noses at these people, your tax dollars are going to pay for this and your medical dollars are going to be spread thinner as your insurance companies are going to make up for the thousands of people who no longer pay their medical bills. Wal-Mart is really one of the last places low-wage workers can expect to get decent benefits. Wal-Mart has just decided to make more profit while the American taxpayer makes up the difference.

kevinpate
10-23-2011, 12:50 PM

The first 1% of the occupation forces will take over the camping section and control the tents, sleeping bags, pillow and inflatable wash basins, along with the shotguns. Then the others will find themselves complaining about that 1%, with most never realizing it's a very different 1%.

Snowman
10-23-2011, 02:20 PM
The story plainly stated that this had nothing to do with the law.

By which you mean the newest laws, it is affected by earlier ones.

Double Edge
10-23-2011, 02:24 PM
By which you mean the newest laws, it is affected by earlier ones.

From the original story:

The company cited rising health care costs, which have forced it to alter its insurance plans, the newspaper said. It said Wal-Mart noted that the change was not the result of the new federal health care law.

AKA...The Affordable Healthcare Act...Obamacare.

Millie
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Let's all boycott Wal-Mart. Because there's not a single other company in America that has cut benefits in today's economy...

Midtowner
10-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Let's all boycott Wal-Mart. Because there's not a single other company in America that has cut benefits in today's economy...

I've boycotted WalMart just because it's overall a terrible place to shop. That its management is composed of terrible people makes said boycott a bonus, however.

Caboose
10-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I've boycotted WalMart just because it's overall a terrible place to shop. That its management is composed of terrible people makes said boycott a bonus, however.

Maybe your boycott will drive them out of business so all of their workers will finally be able to experience the utopia of unemployment.

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 06:35 AM
I've never understood the WalkMart haters. It can be a pretty ghetto place to shop (at least the one by me), but the prices are low, the selection is broad and they employ alot of people of all ages and abilities. I worked for WalMart years ago (the now closed on in the Village). I took the job when I started my first business in my teens. I could pay three employes, but I couldn't pay myself. They were easy to work for, worked with the odd schedule I needed and offered lots of opportunities for overnight work for extra money. Hate them all you want, but they support a lot of families.

Midtowner
10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Maybe your boycott will drive them out of business so all of their workers will finally be able to experience the utopia of unemployment.

Nah.. I just don't care for the place. As Mr. Bates said, too ghetto.

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 06:53 AM
I've never understood the WalkMart haters. It can be a pretty ghetto place to shop (at least the one by me), but the prices are low, the selection is broad and they employ alot of people of all ages and abilities. I worked for WalMart years ago (the now closed on in the Village). I took the job when I started my first business in my teens. I could pay three employes, but I couldn't pay myself. They were easy to work for, worked with the odd schedule I needed and offered lots of opportunities for overnight work for extra money. Hate them all you want, but they support a lot of families.

The people they "employee" are paid so little that the taxpayers foot the bill for a lot of their needs. Our society subsidizes their pay. That's not something to be proud of or support. But they are pretty forward-thinking when it comes to sustainability and cost-reduction(occasionally by means other than payroll cuts). So it's hard to label them as a net positive or negative force.

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 06:54 AM

Most people who work there would be better off finding new employment anyways.

Just the facts
10-24-2011, 07:03 AM
Hate them all you want, but they support a lot of families.

That is exactly why they are hated. Collectivist would prefer that those families be supported by government.

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Which, to me, is a perfectly good reason not to shop at any particular retailer. We actually usually opt to pay 5-10% more and go to Target. Usually a completely different vibe there.

That said, I still support the role WalMart fills 100%.

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 07:13 AM

I would disagree. Those with skills and education can do very well at WalMart if they choose to work their way up. The average longterm WalMart employee is probably pretty lucky to have that job. WalMart continuously pays at or often above wages for the same types of work and historically offers more flexibility and benefits. For those looking for part-time employment to supplement their income or between careers, you can't beat it.

Sure, you're not going to make $40k/yr. working a register, but should you?

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Yes. There are retailers doing just fine operating with a living wage minimum.

And most of the people there do not have the faculties to "work their way up". And even if they did the stress of working in management at that particular retailer takes as many years off of your life as a pack-a-day smoking habit. More flexibility and benefits? What the hell? That's just wrong. Competitive pay based on a paper rubric of box-touches per hour? That really means something.

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 07:50 AM
That is exactly why they are hated. Collectivist would prefer that those families be supported by government.

Those families ARE supported by the government.

Midtowner
10-24-2011, 07:56 AM

Well, their kids will now be supported by Medicaid since the parents no longer have medical insurance, so I guess that makes you a collectivist?

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes. There are retailers doing just fine operating with a living wage minimum.

And most of the people there do not have the faculties to "work their way up". And even if they did the stress of working in management at that particular retailer takes as many years off of your life as a pack-a-day smoking habit. More flexibility and benefits? What the hell? That's just wrong. Competitive pay based on a paper rubric of box-touches per hour? That really means something.

Then I guess any disgruntled WalMart employees are welcome to go work for those unnamed retailers. Unless I missed the part where they are being forced to work there.

I'm sure you have some actual facts to back up your goofy comparisons to working WalMart management and smoking.

Actually, yes, lots of flexibility and better than average benefits for similar employment for full-tiume workers. I saw it first hand when I worked there in the late 80's early 90's and when my son worked there in recent years. A 24-hour store offers far more flexability than a 9-5 or 9-9. Plus, there are literally dozens of positions available in a single store.

Heaven forbid we put no responsibility or personal accountability on the workers themselves. If they want to make more, then work more, work elsewhere and educate yourself and develop your skills.

Snowman
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Has their been any statements released on what percentage are full time workers with benefits at the stores? I was thinking like five or ten years ago their were complaints they often were being pretty heavy about not letting most people be full time employees; it also seems like teens, college students and retirees have made up a lot of the low end on pay. Not sure if it is possible to remove the numbers from the head store managers, distribution chain and corporate headquarters even if they are available though, since they likely get far better pay and benefits than the average employee.

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Has their been any statements released on what percentage are full time workers with benefits at the stores? I was thinking like five or ten years ago their were complaints they often were being pretty heavy about not letting most people be full time employees; it also seems like teens, college students and retirees have made up a lot of the low end on pay. Not sure if it is possible to remove the numbers from the head store managers, distribution chain and corporate headquarters even if they are available though, since they likely get far better pay and benefits than the average employee.

Here's some info. http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Wal-Mart-Hourly-Pay-E715.htm

Also, many employees opt out of benefits because all they can wrap their head around is the fact it takes money out of their check. And yes, I realize that if you're check is based on $8/hr then you don't exactly have alot to spare. However, I also don't think any responsible adult should try and support themselves and their family being a cashier their entire life.

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Then I guess any disgruntled WalMart employees are welcome to go work for those unnamed retailers. Unless I missed the part where they are being forced to work there.

I'm sure you have some actual facts to back up your goofy comparisons to working WalMart management and smoking.

Actually, yes, lots of flexibility and better than average benefits for similar employment for full-tiume workers. I saw it first hand when I worked there in the late 80's early 90's and when my son worked there in recent years. A 24-hour store offers far more flexability than a 9-5 or 9-9. Plus, there are literally dozens of positions available in a single store.

Heaven forbid we put no responsibility or personal accountability on the workers themselves. If they want to make more, then work more, work elsewhere and educate yourself and develop your skills.

I'm sure your son found them to be pretty flexible if he did well there, but for the bulk of employees in this and other retailers who use similar payroll models this does not happen.

Those other, decent-paying retailers are slower to spread. Unfortunately that's one of the problems with being a moral employer in this country. You have to compete against companies that have no qualms about paying so little that a significant number of their full-timers are on government assistance. Many of the people who work at places like this simply do not have the ability to improve themselves or are at least at a distinct disadvantage versus someone like myself or your son. And even if they do leave other retailers, who might not have wages quite as low, have also depressed their pay rates in response to the 900-pound employer in the room.

The research about job-related stress and its impact on heart disease and other dampers for life expectancy is very freely available online. Are you really going to make me look up something that you could research yourself with just a few minutes time?

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Here's some info. http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Wal-Mart-Hourly-Pay-E715.htm

Also, many employees opt out of benefits because all they can wrap their head around is the fact it takes money out of their check. And yes, I realize that if you're check is based on $8/hr then you don't exactly have alot to spare. However, I also don't think any responsible adult should try and support themselves and their family being a cashier their entire life.

It is not an opt-out system. It is opt-in. They also might fail to opt-in because the coverage is garbage, or because the employees honestly don't know what they're signing up for. They're doing enrollment right now, I suggest you go sit in on one. Ask their $9/hr HR people some probing questions about coverage, see how informed any hourly employees(including the ones whose job it is to inform their decisions) actually are. It'll be revealing.

rcjunkie
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm sure your son found them to be pretty flexible if he did well there, but for the bulk of employees in this and other retailers who use similar payroll models this does not happen.

Those other, decent-paying retailers are slower to spread. Unfortunately that's one of the problems with being a moral employer in this country. You have to compete against companies that have no qualms about paying so little that a significant number of their full-timers are on government assistance. Many of the people who work at places like this simply do not have the ability to improve themselves or are at least at a distinct disadvantage versus someone like myself or your son. And even if they do leave other retailers, who might not have wages quite as low, have also depressed their pay rates in response to the 900-pound employer in the room.

The research about job-related stress and its impact on heart disease and other dampers for life expectancy is very freely available online. Are you really going to make me look up something that you could research yourself with just a few minutes time?

I'm 100% positive that no one is holding a gun to their head and making them work there, this is after all a free country.

HewenttoJared
10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm 100% positive that their reasons for staying feel genuine to them.

Bunty
10-24-2011, 10:51 AM

I heard it's awful to go there at 2 am due to the strange customers that time of night. Maybe that's when the ghetto really comes out.

Caboose
10-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Hey look, HEW has decided he knows what is best for a bunch of people who didn't ask him for his input to begin with. If only we had people like you planning every facet of life for others, wow what a utopia.

Let me know when you decide to leave Petulant College Sophomore Land, and start thinking about things like an adult.

Just the facts
10-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Heaven forbid some of you would come in contact with people that aren't from the same socio-economic background as yourself. Does it get much more elitists then saying, "I don't go to Wal-Mart because it is ghetto and the poor people there are disgusting, especially the ones after 2AM"?

I am not a regular Wal-Mart shopper for several reasons, but contempt for their customers isn't one of them.

Snowman
10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Heaven forbid some of you would come in contact with people that aren't from the same socio-economic background as yourself. Does it get much more elitists then saying, "I don't go to Wal-Mart because it is ghetto and the poor people there are disgusting, especially the ones after 2AM"?

I am not a regular Wal-Mart shopper for several reasons, but contempt for their customers isn't one of them.

Different socio-economic backgrounds can not explain all that you see at http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos

Bunty
10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Or be careful by picking your Wal-Mart on the rich side of town. But then I have never ventured in a Wal-Mart on the rich side of town at 2 am to see what the atmosphere is like.

Just the facts
10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Different socio-economic backgrounds can not explain all that you see at http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos

Without even clicking on the link, I assume that website allows you to feel superior to a stereotypical Wal-Mart shopper, thus validating your decision not to shop there based on the customer and not the quality of the merchandise, the cleanliness of the store, or the length of the check-out lines.

Just the facts
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Or be careful by picking your Wal-Mart on the rich side of town. But then I have never ventured in a Wal-Mart on the rich side of town at 2 am to see what the atmosphere is like.

They have Wal-Marts on the rich side of town? Who shops there?

FRISKY
10-24-2011, 12:01 PM
They have Wal-Marts on the rich side of town? Who shops there?And where is the "rich side of town"? Is there a minimum income to live there?

Snowman
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Without even clicking on the link, I assume that website allows you to feel superior to a stereotypical Wal-Mart shopper, thus validating your decision not to shop there based on the customer and not the quality of the merchandise, the cleanliness of the store, or the length of the check-out lines.

The problems I see with walmart come from how they manage the store not the customers, I have read enough of your posts to know you are far more arrogant than me.

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm 100% positive that their reasons for staying feel genuine to them.

I can say the same about people who won't give up crack. I have little sympathy for either one.

BBatesokc
10-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Give me a break. There was nothing 'elitist' about my opinion that WalMart is pretty damn ghetto from my perspective. If I was elitist I certainly wouldn't choose to live in the often overly ghetto neighborhood that I do. We have the means to live in Edmond should we choose, but we don't. But that doesn't change reality or make anyone an elitist for pointing out the obvious.

Bunty
10-24-2011, 09:03 PM
And where is the "rich side of town"? Is there a minimum income to live there?

In Edmond, it's the Wal-Mart with the fancy looking fake facade near I-35. Maybe they had to go fancy to suit the rich people.