View Full Version : Spanky McFarland's Barbeque Restaurant

DallasCop2566
10-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Anybody remember Spanky McFarland of the Our Gang movies having a barbeque restaurant on North May Avenue just north of 39th Street Expressway in the sixties?

I remember him telling me he was going to close and move to the Southlake, Texas area and open a similar restaurant there.

He did move, looked in the Southlake-Keller area for a suitable location and I guess never found one.

Saw him at a Charity Reception in the early seventies in Grapevine, Texas and asked him why he never opened his restaurant and he told me he was enjoying retirement too much.:Smiley259

RadicalModerate
10-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Sorry . . . Just couldn't resist
But it IS nostalgic . . . And it's set at about the same point in The Timeline as the aforementioned BBQ place. =)

If this wasn't on the jukebox, it should have been.
If only for the "ironic"/"iconic" name recognition factor.

I especially like the break/fadewaway starting at about 2:02 . . .

KfUb9o0lDoo

Bigrayok
10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
I started another post about this a awhile back. He made an appearance at what is now Southern Nazarene University around 1976 or 77 where he showed clips from the Our Gang/Little Rascals series and told stories about what happened to everyone on the shows. He mentioned he had lived in Bethany and owned a BBQ off N.W. 39th and May. He said at the time he was a district manager for Magic Chef. I get the idea he spent a lot of time in sales in his later years and made a lot of personal appearances at sales conventions. There are some clips of him on YouTube speaking at conventions. He had a great personality and was very funny.

Bigray in Ok

MikeOKC
10-20-2011, 05:27 PM
I started another post about this a awhile back. He made an appearance at what is now Southern Nazarene University around 1976 or 77 where he showed clips from the Our Gang/Little Rascals series and told stories about what happened to everyone on the shows. He mentioned he had lived in Bethany and owned a BBQ off N.W. 39th and May. He said at the time he was a district manager for Magic Chef. I get the idea he spent a lot of time in sales in his later years and made a lot of personal appearances at sales conventions. There are some clips of him on YouTube speaking at conventions. He had a great personality and was very funny.

Bigray in Ok

Spanky's Pizza. Was that before - or after - the BBQ?