View Full Version : iOS5 Upgrade

Midtowner
10-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Anyone else have issues with this? I upgraded two phones, a 3GS and a 4. The 3GS upgraded the OS, but wiped out my music and apps. Took 5 hours to rebuild/get the OS to finally install without an error. When I upgraded the 4, it wiped the OS, then the computer played the "do not recognize USB device" game. Reinstalled iTunes and the device driver to no avail. Eventually solved my problem by disconnecting the keyboard because I perceived some sort of USB device conflict happening. Did everyone else fare well?

Tydude
10-15-2011, 07:21 AM
i had no problems with it at all my iPhone 4 is just fine and is working great

Stew
10-15-2011, 09:12 AM
My iPhone 4 upgraded fairly flawlessly except at first my contacts got wiped out. After freaking out a bit I found online to disable then reenable the cloud feature for contacts. That brought back all my contacts.

My iPad 2 on the other hand was a complete failure. The backup got hosed for whatever reason. I ended having to do a reset then take the route like it was new out of the box. IOS 5 installed just fine and really I didn't lose anything I just had to sync with the apps/media/books/etc in my iTunes and re-setup my mail and whatnots. Other than being annoying it was okay.

I must say though I really like the cloud feature and the faster access to the camera.

MikeOKC
10-15-2011, 11:03 AM
With the Apple servers getting slammed, it's causing some problems with upgrades to iOS 5. I've read enough to decide to wait a few days to upgrade. Waiting a few more days won't hurt. I'm anxious though as the upgrade is definitely a huge leap forward.

Questor
10-15-2011, 12:59 PM
I had no problems with the upgrade / no manual intervention was required; however, man it took forever! A word of warning if you upgrade to iOS 5 do it at night and plan on not texting or calling anyone the rest of that evening. I periodically poked my head in and looked at what was going on and yes this install wiped everything on my phone and then installed new firmware, rebooted many times and then slowly reinstalled all my music and apps. I think the whole thing took around 3 hours or more.

Lord Helmet
10-15-2011, 06:29 PM
I waited a couple of days and just upgraded this morning. Everything went perfectly on my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, and my iPad.

MikeOKC
10-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Went ahead and did the upgrade tonight - perfect.

MikeOKC
10-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Just realized this will be the last update done with the computer. The iOS devices are now on their own, no longer tethered to iTunes and actual computer hardware. I love the simple iCloud storage and easy updating, the 're-install purchase apps' is another make-it-simple touch. All the new features in iOS 5 are very slick and makes working with these devices even easier - if that was possible. The iPad now seems so much a part of me it's hard to imagine the daily routine without it.

kevinpate
10-16-2011, 05:21 AM
... new features in iOS 5 are very slick and makes working with these devices even easier - if that was possible. The iPad now seems so much a part of me it's hard to imagine the daily routine without it.

Assimilation, complete.
Apple ... the Borg with better marketing

BBatesokc
10-16-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm waiting another week or so before I upgrade my iDevices.

MikeOKC
10-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Assimilation, complete.

I've made no secret of the fact I have made my living securing (mostly) Windows software. I helped found a large company that trains people to secure Windows. I own a Windows desktop and a Windows laptop. However, I can appreciate marvels when I see, touch, and use one. The iPad is one of those marvels. I had an iPod touch before the iPad - another marvel. It's absolutely true that I would be lost without my iPad. I have made my living from Windows - I use it every day. I have tried 2 Android tablets and, much as they try, they can't come close to the beauty and simplicity of the iPad. It just works.

I'm no Apple "fanboy," if that's what your "assimilation" and "borg" comments were implying. I can appreciate good technology -- wherever it comes from.

HewenttoJared
10-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Apple servers were bogged down heavily all weekend.

White Peacock
10-17-2011, 08:47 AM
My iPad upgraded without issue. My girlfriend's iPhone 4 took hours to complete, but finally did so without any errors.

In contrast to MikeOKC, although I love my iPad, I much prefer my Galaxy Tab overall.

AAC2005
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I upgraded my 3GS on Saturday late afternoon - just hooked it up and left it alone. It went surprisingly quicker than I had anticipated (and read about) and everything was in its proper place afterwards; so far, no noticeable problems!

Pete
10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Just upgraded my iPhone 4 and love the new features, especially the pull-down summary of notifications from the home screen and *finally* a good to-do list app. Very cool how they integrate location, so that the phone can notify you of what you need to do once you get to a particular place.

jn1780
10-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Assimilation, complete.

This should help the Borg(Apple).
http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=27532

BBatesokc
10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
I just bought two of Sprint's iPhone 4S's 64GB this morning. I've always wanted one, but refused to pay AT&T's rates. Sprint let me grandfather my existing bundled plan - one wifi, two iPhones and two EVO's, unlimited everything for $280/month. Glad I waited.

So far I'm loving the new OS. I haven't upgraded my iPod Touches or iPads yet though. Will most likely sell the iTouches without upgrading.

td25er
10-18-2011, 08:33 AM
All of the "suits" in my company had nightmares upgrading to ios5. Basically all of the issues already described. Errors, wiped data, deleted pictures, etc. I think my boss got back most of his pictures, but couldn't find recent ones of his only grandson. I'm not sure if he got them back or not. My wife is scared to update b/c her iphone4 is running horribly slow for some reason. Apps freezing, slow downloads and web browsing. She actually told me to stick with Android when I mentioned in was considering the sprint iphone.

BBatesokc
10-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I've updated tons of iDevices and I agree it can be challenging - certainly not anymore than a major Windows update. As long as you are backing up to iTunes, what's to lose? I've reset my devices back to factory new if they were acting too buggy and I didn't have time to trouble shoot and iTunes always puts everything back - pictures and all.

OKCTalker
10-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Just started the upgrade. Thanks for the reports everybody. Wish me well!