View Full Version : Election Results

Patrick
04-06-2005, 03:06 PM
I guess by now everyone has probably heard the election results, but Pete White barely won in Ward 4, Patrick Ryan won in Ward 8! That sounds reasonable. I those will be great additions to the council. I know we've known Carl for along time, but personally, I think the guy shot himself in the foot.

Still the race for Ward 4 was mighty tight!

Carl Sullivan, 1,051 (46.7%)

*Pete White, 1,196 (53.2%)

I hope Susan Johnston runs for Ward 2 next time that seat is open.

---------------
"City voters fill council, school board seats

By Michael Bratcher and Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Voters Tuesday elected an Oklahoma City restaurant owner to the school board and chose an attorney and a retiree to fill seats on the Oklahoma City Council.

Gail Vines, 50, co-owner and partner of Flip's Wine Bar and Trattoria, was elected to Office No. 2 on the school board.

In council races, voters returned attorney Pete White to the Ward 4 council seat he held from 1982 to 1989 and chose retiree Patrick Ryan to fill the Ward 8 spot.

Vines defeated opponent Gary Walker by a vote of 867 to 676, for the school board seat. Supporters gathered Tuesday night at her restaurant to watch returns.

She said her strong background in the arts and being a small-business owner for 20 years helped her campaign.

"Gary Walker ran an amicable, admirable campaign," she said. "He should be congratulated. I am just so proud of the District 2 voters who were not persuaded politically by any party."

Vines said she's pleased to join a district that is "open to changes when they need to be made and not be stuck in cement."

Walker said he is disappointed in the outcome but is happy for Vines. He also was glad to see more voters turned out for the runoff election.

With all 44 precincts reporting, White had 1,196 votes to opponent Carl Sullivan's 1,051 votes for the Ward 4 council seat.

In Ward 8, Ryan had 1,730 votes to opponent Eric Roberts' 1,125 votes, with all 41 precincts reporting.

White declared victory about 8 p.m. Tuesday. He thanked a group of about 50 supporters who crammed into his tiny law office at SW 79 and Walker Avenue.

White said he had to change gears after falling behind Sullivan by more than 100 votes in the March primary election.

"I emulated what he did," White said, referring to the hands-on approach of his opponent. "We did a pure, retail campaign, shaking hands and talking to people."

In another major metro race, Edmond voters re-elected Mayor Saundra Gragg Naifeh to a third consecutive two-year term. The challenger was political newcomer Julie Fost. "

Patrick
04-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Also, just for the recod, the Tulsa bond issue, the largest Tulsa has ever put before the people, passed. The projects in it are very similar to the bond issue OKC passed a few years ago.

------------
"Largest bond issue in Tulsa history passes

By Chad Previch
The Oklahoman

TULSA - Voters Tuesday night overwhelmingly approved the largest bond issue in the city's history.

The $250 million in bonds will go toward infrastructure, including major transportation and street projects.

All six measures, which also affect police and fire operations, were passed by at least six of every 10 voters, early numbers show.

"It was bread-and-butter infrastructure," Councilman Chris Medlock said Tuesday night. "We're going to have a whole lot of streets, creeks and sewers that are going to get fixed."

Residents approved $154.43 million for transportation and streets; $32.8 million for sanitary sewer; $32.82 million for flood control; $5.1 million for police to renovate and expand the three division sites, for a new property room and for an expanded forensic laboratory; $19.5 million for fire operations; $5.36 million for maintenance for public facilities such as Gilcrease Museum and Performing Arts Center.

Because of Tuesday's election, the city's millage in 2006 will increase to 10.41 per $1,000 assessed in property value. That would increase to a peak of 12.97 in 2010. "

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Was Anderson running, or was his user title an inside joke or something?

Patrick
04-07-2005, 01:39 AM
He's thinking about running in the future, to replace Jerry Foshee!

HOT ROD
04-07-2005, 06:58 PM
It will be great to have Anderson in office. We need someone in there who knows what OKC needs to grow!

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Maybe he can put in a word for us... LOL