View Full Version : Occupy OKC in Kerr Park...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Soonerus
10-11-2011, 08:03 PM
What a Pathetic group, I hope OKC enforces the 11p.m.-6:00a.m. curfew...they never let the homeless stay there...these people have lots of tents like they plan to camp out...

dmoor82
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Freedom of speech and freedom to protest!I myself do not support what they are doing but they have the right to do it!

Jersey Boss
10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I think the curfew only applies to minors, but beside that, how would folks camping there affect you? You seem angry by calling a group of peaceful activists, "pathetic". Are you against the concept of people having the right of redress as articulated in the 1st Amendment to the constitution?

Just the facts
10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
What stops a homeless person from waging a perpetual state of protest?

Frustratedoptimist
10-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I may not agree with them 99%, but when was the last time any of us ever cared so much for a cause that we made a hand-made sign and/or risked our lives by sleeping in a park? Me, never.

Oh yea, anyone else see the sign on Channel 5 news last night that read "Don't be Douchy"???? Best ever.

Soonerus
10-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Absolute curfew from 11p.m.-6:00a.m. Not just for minors....pathetic because I walked through there today and saw them...no problem with freedom of speech but they are not saying anything ....

bucktalk
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I've been pretty amazed to hear lack of comprehensive and coherent response from many of the protestors in other cities when asked to voice what their goal is in gathering. No one seems to know - not even the protestors...

BlackmoreRulz
10-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Pretty sure that they have a three day permit to stage their protest, that could explain the lack of curfew enforcement.

OSUMom
10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Hopefully their protest will be over before that building they are camped right next to starts to come down.

metro
10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I may not agree with them 99%, but when was the last time any of us ever cared so much for a cause that we made a hand-made sign and/or risked our lives by sleeping in a park? Me, never.

Oh yea, anyone else see the sign on Channel 5 news last night that read "Don't be Douchy"???? Best ever.

Risk their life for sleeping in a park? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think....

skyrick
10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
What a Pathetic group, I hope OKC enforces the 11p.m.-6:00a.m. curfew...they never let the homeless stay there...these people have lots of tents like they plan to camp out...

God forbid you should actually SEE people who disagree with your politics. OKC, business as usual.

Ginkasa
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Absolute curfew from 11p.m.-6:00a.m. Not just for minors....pathetic because I walked through there today and saw them...no problem with freedom of speech but they are not saying anything ....

They have a permit. They're allowed to stay there all night.

Soonerus
10-11-2011, 09:33 PM
That is discriminating against the homeless and I object...curfew signs are very prevalent in the park...you must say something before somebody can disagree with you...these people say nothing, a bunch of nobodies...

Stew
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
The homeless are free to show up at this event if they so desire.

redrunner
10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
That is discriminating against the homeless and I object...curfew signs are very prevalent in the park...you must say something before somebody can disagree with you...these people say nothing, a bunch of nobodies...

That "Don't Be Douchy" sign was for you soonerus.

Soonerus
10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
They need to stay all year and are not allowed...not fair...

OSUMom
10-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Homeless people do sleep in that park. I see them on the stairs around the water stage most mornings.

Soonerus
10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
One guy has lived there for about 15 years and that's it...it is his turf...

OSUMom
10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I've seen more then Timothy there. Although I haven't seen him around for a couple of weeks.

Soonerus
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
He is still there...

venture
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
That "Don't Be Douchy" sign was for you soonerus.

LOL +1

Soonerus, did you complain this much about the Tea Party protests?

chuck johnson
10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I've been pretty amazed to hear lack of comprehensive and coherent response from many of the protestors in other cities when asked to voice what their goal is in gathering. No one seems to know - not even the protestors...

This begs the question of whether or not they are receiving fair and complete coverage. I'll give my impression though.

If there is no social contract requiring the wealthy to pay more in taxes, then there should be no social contract requiring the rest to bail them out.

If we really want a free market, why are we giving tax breaks and subsidies to corporations. Why are we bailing them out.

If John Doe makes poor financial choices or suffers from unforeseen fiscal circumstances, than John Doe is screwed. If John Doe CORP. makes poor financial choices or suffers from unforeseen fiscal circumstances, John Doe CORP simply dissolves or becomes the newly formed Jane Doe CORP.

I'm not professing a belief in either way at the moment, but I believe these are the questions and issues (among many) the protesters want answered and resolved.

BBatesokc
10-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Probably comes as no surprise I support them in spirit/theory. I wish more people would actually stand up for something beyond griping around a table at some coffee joint or tapping away on their keyboard. Peaceful protest is great and I've seen a very few instances where violent/physical protest was even necessary (mostly in other countries). I can make jokes about the appearance and apparent lack of cohesive message/goals of these protestors, but beyond that I say "go for it!"

rcjunkie
10-12-2011, 04:06 AM
During TV interviews in other States, it's obvious most were protesting to be protesting, most of the ones interviewed couldn't explain in any detail what, or why they were protesting. In this instance, maybe a "silent" protest would have been called for.

HewenttoJared
10-12-2011, 05:19 AM
these people say nothing, a bunch of nobodies...
Yea! Just like these jokers!
http://americanhistory.si.edu/brown/history/6-legacy/images/sit-in.jpg

BlackmoreRulz
10-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Comparing these protests to the civil rights movement is in very bad taste.....

Of Sound Mind
10-12-2011, 05:55 AM
...these people say nothing, a bunch of nobodies...

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Just the facts
10-12-2011, 06:24 AM
This begs the question of whether or not they are receiving fair and complete coverage. I'll give my impression though.

If there is no social contract requiring the wealthy to pay more in taxes, then there should be no social contract requiring the rest to bail them out.

If we really want a free market, why are we giving tax breaks and subsidies to corporations. Why are we bailing them out.

If John Doe makes poor financial choices or suffers from unforeseen fiscal circumstances, than John Doe is screwed. If John Doe CORP. makes poor financial choices or suffers from unforeseen fiscal circumstances, John Doe CORP simply dissolves or becomes the newly formed Jane Doe CORP.

I'm not professing a belief in either way at the moment, but I believe these are the questions and issues (among many) the protesters want answered and resolved.

Then they should join the Tea Party movement. As near as I can tell the Occupiers only want their student loans forgiven - i.e. a personal bail-out; which is the exact opposite of what you just wrote. That is why this group is so hard to figure out. They are advocating for more of what caused them to get mad in the first place.

HewenttoJared
10-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Comparing these protests to the civil rights movement is in very bad taste.....

No, it illustrates a point. People can say a lot without saying anything.

HewenttoJared
10-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Then they should join the Tea Party movement. As near as I can tell the Occupiers only want their student loans forgiven - i.e. a personal bail-out; which is the exact opposite of what you just wrote. That is why this group is so hard to figure out. They are advocating for more of what caused them to get mad in the first place.
No, they should not join the anti-reality party.

Just the facts
10-12-2011, 06:42 AM
No, it illustrates a point. People can say a lot without saying anything.

You should try it.

HewenttoJared
10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
No sir. I do have things to say. Lots of them.

So do you. For example: "I was wrong about global warming being faked."

lasomeday
10-12-2011, 07:01 AM
No sir. I do have things to say. Lots of them.

So do you. For example: "I was wrong about global warming being faked."

He is all talk and no action! He sits at home all day in his boxers complaining about everything.

Roadhawg
10-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Probably comes as no surprise I support them in spirit/theory. I wish more people would actually stand up for something beyond griping around a table at some coffee joint or tapping away on their keyboard. Peaceful protest is great and I've seen a very few instances where violent/physical protest was even necessary (mostly in other countries). I can make jokes about the appearance and apparent lack of cohesive message/goals of these protestors, but beyond that I say "go for it!"

+1

HewenttoJared
10-12-2011, 07:07 AM
He is all talk and no action! He sits at home all day in his boxers complaining about everything.

I'm the most optimistic person I know. And I haven't had a free day to "sit around" in months. Maybe since February.

chuck johnson
10-12-2011, 09:33 AM
During TV interviews in other States, it's obvious most were protesting to be protesting, most of the ones interviewed couldn't explain in any detail what, or why they were protesting. In this instance, maybe a "silent" protest would have been called for.

Again, this begs the question of fair coverage. Every movement, like the Tea Party, has a fringe element or an element that is simply there to take advantage of an opportunity. Mainstream media seems to be focusing on that fringe, while excluding those who are at the heart of both movements. This interview never made it to the air, not initially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrT-0Xbrn4

lasomeday
10-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm the most optimistic person I know. And I haven't had a free day to "sit around" in months. Maybe since February.

Sounds like you need a vacation! Got a tent?

chuck johnson
10-12-2011, 09:39 AM

I would agree that there are some similarities between the group. As for having a personal bail out, that sounds like a case of fair play?

lasomeday
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah if we forgive those with student loans now, people that don't have student loans can complain.

They should be protesting GM and Chrysler/Fiat as well as AIG. They have not mentioned them in anything. The banks have actually paid off their loans with interest, so the US gov actually made its first profit ever!

dankrutka
10-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Just like any protest, some people are able to articulate a message clearly and others are not. I have heard very coherent explanations of the message from protestors not much different than what chuck johnson said.

chuck johnson
10-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah if we forgive those with student loans now, people that don't have student loans can complain.

They should be protesting GM and Chrysler/Fiat as well as AIG. They have not mentioned them in anything. The banks have actually paid off their loans with interest, so the US gov actually made its first profit ever!

I don't think the core message is about getting their student loans forgiven, rather it's the question of why personal bailouts are not an option while corporate bailouts are the norm.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I have a suspicion that the ever rising banking fees (Bank of America?) will not only stem losses from the repayment of those TARP loans, but were probably decided long ago. We loaned money to companies whose business is lending money.

A classic rule of thumb in business, "Once you get the customer's money, do whatever it takes to never give it back".

Forget the refund, I think we all just got store credit.

Richard at Remax
10-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Maybe if some of these people put as much effort into protesting into making thier own situations better then they woulnd't have to worry about hating on millionaires and big corporations for not sharing the wealth. this is america. anyone who is anyone can make it but it's all about how much you want it. I am a big dave ramsey guy and in one of his books he states that 85-90% of millionaires out there were self made. pretty not many of those people had their hands out and complaining. And I am all for some of my taxes going to people who need help cause there are people out there that are in dire situations and I have no problem with that.

Haha I could go on about more stuff but I don't want some people's heads to explode.

RadicalModerate
10-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Suggested Viewing: "Sweet Land"

Tag line: "Farming and Banking Don't Mix."
(Available on Netflix)

chuck johnson
10-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe if some of these people put as much effort into protesting into making thier own situations better then they woulnd't have to worry about hating on millionaires and big corporations for not sharing the wealth. this is america. anyone who is anyone can make it but it's all about how much you want it. I am a big dave ramsey guy and in one of his books he states that 85-90% of millionaires out there were self made. pretty not many of those people had their hands out and complaining. And I am all for some of my taxes going to people who need help cause there are people out there that are in dire situations and I have no problem with that.

Haha I could go on about more stuff but I don't want some people's heads to explode.

As the son of successful immigrants, I believe in most of what you're saying, but none of that solves the root problems. My mother has a very successful business and one of the most successful businesses in her industry in OKC. She did this after coming to this country at 19 years old without a lick of English.

However, as successful as she is as a small business owner she faces stiff competition from large corporations. She has no issue with that competition, she does take issue with the fact that she does not have access to the same tax breaks they receive. As a savvy and hardworking businesswoman, she'll be fine regardless but the root issue remains unchanged. We are giving massive tax breaks and bailouts to corporations that we are not willing to give everyone else.

I understand the reasoning behind bailing out the banks. The problem is that we never solved the root issue of why we had to do so in the first place.

All those protesters could go work their fingers to the bone and become the next generation of millionaires, but the root problems still exist.

sacolton
10-12-2011, 10:27 AM
So if I participated with Occupy OKC, you'd think me "pathetic"? I don't like the way this country is going and how our economy is being destroyed by the banks. The middle-class is slowly being phased out and soon there will be only two classes: The Rich and The Poor. There's nothing wrong with protesting. It's your right. Right now, people are angry because we've been asleep too long doing nothing.

sacolton
10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFz1VVXsWRU&feature=player_embedded#!

urbanity
10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Mobilizing the majority

A protest movement geared toward 99 percent of Americans gets started in OKC.

Click for exclusive video links!
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-13268-mobilizing-the-majority.html

Roadhawg
10-12-2011, 02:05 PM
In a way this reminds me of the way American colonists reacted to the Stamp Act in 1765... I suppose some on here would tell the American colonists to grow up and get over it.

Midtowner
10-12-2011, 02:33 PM

They definitely have some good points to make. Education is too expensive, the banking system needs fixing, etc. Asking for the government to fix a broken system isn't the same as putting your hand out and complaining.

As far as student loan forgiveness goes, strictly speaking, if you wanted a huge boost to the economy, student loan debt actually exceeds credit card debt now. It'd be a huge shot in the arm.

OSUMom
10-12-2011, 07:32 PM
But if no one pays back their student loans, there won't be money to give to the next crop of college students. Sort of a "I got mine, too bad you can't have yours." I also have to wonder how many of those people crying to have these unpayable student loans got degrees in areas that aren't known for providing good paying jobs.

One of my biggest problems with this group is the whole 99% thing. I understand where that number comes from, but it sure makes it sound like they assume they represent 99% of the people. As far as I can tell I agree with one point of theirs. But I'm not in the lofty 1%. So I guess I'm not part of the 100%? That's not a huge deal, just a bit irritating.

chuck johnson
10-12-2011, 07:45 PM
But if no one pays back their student loans, there won't be money to give to the next crop of college students. Sort of a "I got mine, too bad you can't have yours." I also have to wonder how many of those people crying to have these unpayable student loans got degrees in areas that aren't known for providing good paying jobs.

But if we keep bailing out financial institutions and corporations, there won't be money to bail the next crop of financial institutions and corporations. Sort of a "I got mine, too bad you can't have yours." I also have to wonder how many of those financial institutions and corporations crying to have these bailouts invested in areas that aren't known for providing good returns.

OSUMom
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I was against the bailouts. Never should have happened. Just think, if Penn Square Bank had been bailed out, you know this time around they would be right in the middle of the stupidity, holding their hands out for more gov money. No one bailed them out and one stupid financial institution is not around to be stupid anymore.

chuck johnson
10-12-2011, 07:54 PM
I think protesters would agree with you. Are you sure you're not in the 99%?

OSUMom
10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
As I said, I have ONE issue I agree with them on. After that I haven't seen one other thing that I agree with. So no, I don't think I'm one of their 99%.

chuck johnson
10-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm going downtown and telling them right now. I may make a sign for them , "OSUMom supports this message".

JK

OSUMom
10-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I will wave and tell them that's me when I walk by them in the morning.

Stew
10-12-2011, 10:47 PM
One of my favorite sites has an interesting article, I Stand with the Protesters (http://www.financialsense.com/contributors/lee-adler/2011/10/10/i-stand-with-the-protesters)

...The student loans are the tip of the iceberg. Bankers have made and sold trillions of dollars worth of loans that they knew, or should have known, could not be repaid. That's fraud. It must be prosecuted. Today, central bankers and governments are refunding those loans, knowing that a substantial portion of them cannot be repaid. Worse, they are buying them above par because of today's fake low interest rates. Then they guarantee them by obligating us and future generations to repay them. This is criminal.

I figure that at least a third of our deposits are worthless because they have no assets behind them. Those running the scam know that. Those investing in the scam know it. But they don't care because they get to collect their fees off the top. That is a system that institutionalizes theft. It must be changed to a performance based model. If you don't earn a positive return, you don't get paid. Instead, governments have taken over the scam while transferring wealth to and protecting the criminals who built the system.

If you are blaming the protesters, or are mystified by them, then you just don't get it. Denial is part of the problem. Too many people have yet to wake up to the fact that they have already been victimized. They are playing along with the dishonest shell game of extend and pretend that the Fed and other central banks and governments are running. It's time to get real, wake up, and face the music. The longer the game goes on, the worse the consequences for the 99%, and ultimately for the 1%, whose ranks will be decimated at some point, and probably not peacefully if this scam is allowed to continue for much longer.

WilliamTell
10-13-2011, 05:42 AM
This is great. I support the people protesting. I understand the big gripe about student loans first hand.

HewenttoJared
10-13-2011, 06:42 AM
As I said, I have ONE issue I agree with them on. After that I haven't seen one other thing that I agree with. So no, I don't think I'm one of their 99%.

You are the 99%. you just haven't done the math.

lasomeday
10-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Explain what the 99% is.