View Full Version : New Corporation Commissioner Patrice Douglas

OKCMallen
10-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Anyone care?

yukong
10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I dated her in college. So, I guess I care. We were good friends. She is good people.

Midtowner
10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I shared an intern with her for awhile. The revolving door at the corp corp continues to spin. As usual, I don't think we'll notice a difference.

Larry OKC
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
She may be "good people" and turn out to be an excellent Corporate Commish...however any elected official that violates the most basic promise to their constituents (that they will serve for the term they are elected, barring death or family emergency), has lost any expectation to get my vote ever again for any future office. I went through this with Jim Roth (voted for him twice as Co. Commish) and others.

Frustratedoptimist
10-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I've met her several times and she never seemed "real" like the other Edmond councilmen. This seems like another stepping stone for her. I hear that she and the Gov are good pals.

OKCMallen
10-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I have concerns that she has absolutely no relevant experience and was 100% a political decision. The Commission isn't like other political bodies: it requires certain kinds of expertise...that's the reason it exists: the issues at the Commission are of a technical and legally nuanced nature, and a special body needs to see to those issues. Not just any schmo.

I didn't vote for Fallin anyway, but I'll remember this and I hope y'all do to: it's "politics as usual" with ol' Mary running the show.

Midtowner
10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
We'll have politics as usual until we have a viable second party in this state. To the victor go the spoils.

kevinpate
10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
... Not just any schmo.

Haven't there been more schmos, irrespective of party affiliation, than non-schmos over the past few decades?

MikeOKC
10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
I have concerns that she has absolutely no relevant experience and was 100% a political decision. The Commission isn't like other political bodies: it requires certain kinds of expertise...that's the reason it exists: the issues at the Commission are of a technical and legally nuanced nature, and a special body needs to see to those issues. Not just any schmo.

I didn't vote for Fallin anyway, but I'll remember this and I hope y'all do to: it's "politics as usual" with ol' Mary running the show.

I agree with the spirit of your post, but not the specifics. In fact, I think the need for overseers without connections to the industries they regulate is crucial. We need a true Public Utilities Commission. We need a commission to make sure the consumers are not shafted. The Corporation Commission has a huge staff, for different industries and different regions of the state. They need the expertise. The commissioners themselves need only to accept all the pertinent information and make decisions in the best interests of the people of the state. Period. Not decisions in the best interests of the corporations. We've had a few brave souls at the CC, but not enough.

As for Douglas, expect more pandering to Oklahoma's Big Business Cartel.

OKCMallen
10-18-2011, 10:24 AM
I agree with the spirit of your post, but not the specifics. In fact, I think the need for overseers without connections to the industries they regulate is crucial. We need a true Public Utilities Commission. We need a commission to make sure the consumers are not shafted. The Corporation Commission has a huge staff, for different industries and different regions of the state. They need the expertise. The commissioners themselves need only to accept all the pertinent information and make decisions in the best interests of the people of the state. Period. Not decisions in the best interests of the corporations. We've had a few brave souls at the CC, but not enough.

As for Douglas, expect more pandering to Oklahoma's Big Business Cartel.

You'd be wrong to disagree that Corporation Commissioners are charged to understand and implement both technical information and legal nuance. It's better to have someone that understands those things than it is to have someone completely oblivious. Or are you *seriously* arguing that experience, knowledge, and expertise isn't important in choosing a C-Commissioner?

I think we actually agree; I'm not sure why you couched your post in a contrarian manner.

rcjunkie
10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
We'll have politics as usual until we have a viable second party in this state. To the victor go the spoils.

And then we will have the "new politics as usual".