View Full Version : Oklahoma City ranked 36th best city in the U.S.

KayneMo
10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/20110920/america-s-50-best-cities/slides/16

MDot
10-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe it's because I never took the time to think about it but I never realized there were 10 colleges in the OKC area.

Achilleslastand
10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
According to mayor Mick we are numero uno and a big league city..............

dmoor82
10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
nm

skyrick
10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
St. Paul ranked below OKC? Plano, TX ranked 11th? Did you SEE the picture they used of Plano? They couldn't have offered a better image of ugly suburbia if they tried.

venture
10-05-2011, 04:14 PM
According to mayor Mick we are numero uno and a big league city..............

I can't wait until the whole "big league city" thing goes away.

adaniel
10-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Plano, TX ranked 11th? Did you SEE the picture they used of Plano? They couldn't have offered a better image of ugly suburbia if they tried.

Hey lay off my hometown.....acutally now that I look at it yeah that was a pretty bad pic :doh:

What I don't understand is how Irving ranked higher than Plano. Some parts of it resemble a very large scale version of Lyrewood Lane.

But hey some people like their suburbia extra vanilla. I grew up in Plano and I think I turned out fine :dizzy:

okcpulse
10-06-2011, 06:46 AM
I absolutely cannot stand it when major sites use outdated population figures. 546,000? That was four years ago! It isn't hard to get the latest population stats. Do these people not have the ability to Google the census bureau website?

Just the facts
10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
St. Paul ranked below OKC? Plano, TX ranked 11th? Did you SEE the picture they used of Plano? They couldn't have offered a better image of ugly suburbia if they tried.

My head exploded. Is there any wonder children living in that type of enviornment grow up to use drugs? However, they did use alleys in that subdivision which is interesting.

http://dlimages.businessweek.com/imageserve/01jr2QefiietU/600x300.jpg

ljbab728
10-06-2011, 08:36 PM
However, they did use alleys in that subdivision which is interesting.

Thats actually very common in Plano. My cousin has lived there for many years. Her house has an alley behind it.

MDot
10-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Thats actually very common in Plano. My cousin has lived there for many years. Her house has an alley behind it.

They do that pretty much everywhere in Texas. I like when they have the alleys and not drive-ways in the front.

semisimple
10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey lay off my hometown.....acutally now that I look at it yeah that was a pretty bad pic :doh:

What I don't understand is how Irving ranked higher than Plano. Some parts of it resemble a very large scale version of Lyrewood Lane.

But hey some people like their suburbia extra vanilla. I grew up in Plano and I think I turned out fine :dizzy:

I agree with your assessment of Irving, but Irving didn't rank higher than Plano. Irving was 50th. Plano was 11th. Frankly, I'm surprised Plano wasn't higher given the criteria.

progressiveboy
10-06-2011, 09:16 PM
They do that pretty much everywhere in Texas. I like when they have the alleys and not drive-ways in the front. I like the way they put the garages in the back of house's in DFW. It is more aesthetically and visually pleasing! Who wants to see junk in someones garage? The one downfall with alleys in backways is crime lurks and there has been residents getting out of their cars and garages and they are met by robbers. They target these residents.

MDot
10-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I like the way they put the garages in the back of house's in DFW. It is more aesthetically and visually pleasing! Who wants to see junk in someones garage? The one downfall with alleys in backways is crime lurks and there has been residents getting out of their cars and garages and they are met by robbers. They target these residents.

That's true. Luckily when I stayed with my grandparents down in Coppell we never had to deal with any crime and they never experienced any crime in the 25 years they lived down there. But it is more appealing to the eye when the garages are in the back.

Just the facts
10-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I think the entire subdivisions being totally devoid of people for 8 hours a day contributes more to suburban crime than allies. Why hid in an alley when you can just go in through the front door anytime between 8AM and 5PM and not a person will see you?

dmoor82
10-06-2011, 10:11 PM
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1187100690261&id=ed4ddf9677b5501ade958cea0e0e49a4&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.blogsmithmedia.com%2fstadium. weblogsinc.com%2ftmz%2fimages%2f2008%2f09%2f_0004_ LFL-Logo_full.jpgNOW THIS would make OKC a BIG league city and move us up on this list!j/k

adaniel
10-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I like the way they put the garages in the back of house's in DFW. It is more aesthetically and visually pleasing! Who wants to see junk in someones garage? The one downfall with alleys in backways is crime lurks and there has been residents getting out of their cars and garages and they are met by robbers. They target these residents.

I for one do not care for alleyways. If you compare a typical suburban neighborhood in Plano or Frisco TX and one in Edmond the one in Edmond will be much more livelier. Most people hang out of their garages, store the kids stuff in garages. etc. Yes you don't have to look at people's crap in their garage but most folks keep their garages closed anyway. Not to mention that alley right-of-way takes up valuable space for backyards.

Oddly Dallas is the only place I have seen alleys used in new construction. Even in Fort Worth all homes have front or side load garages.

mcca7596
10-08-2011, 11:38 PM
It just seems more idyllic to hang out on a front porch than in a "man cave". LOL

Just the facts
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I think the failure in Plano is trying to use the urban alley in the worst possible example of suburban sprawl. Since all of those cul-de-sacs are dead end roads the whole thing is pointless. Alleys are supposed to work in conjunction with thru street. It turned out to be nothing more than a waste of asphalt. Pick anyone of those streets that have an alley coming off of it and I’ll be the alley carries 50X the number of cars as the ‘street’. If it proves anything though, it is that skinny streets work.

KayneMo
10-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Maybe it's because I never took the time to think about it but I never realized there were 10 colleges in the OKC area.

I also didn't realize that there are 51 museums in OKC, never would've guessed!