View Full Version : Devon and On-Site childcare

okc_bel_air
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know if Devon has or will have onsite childcare in the new building?
Thanks

Thunder
10-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Does anyone know if Devon has or will have onsite childcare in the new building?
Thanks

Are you an employee? Ask your supervisor. Heck, all employees should know the answer.

Are you considering applying at Devon? Just give them a call and ask.

If they currently offer such service in their old mini tower, then there will be one in the monster tower.

Pete
10-03-2011, 08:31 AM
I've never seen anything about their new complex that mentions child care but it would be odd for them not to provide it, as both CHK and SandRidge are in the process of building large child development centers.

bombermwc
10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Doesn't DHS require that a certain amount of time be spend outdoors once you're something like 3? If so, it would complicate offering childcare downtown....they'd have to find a way to convert some of the top-level garage or something to a play area...and that would be pretty pricey since you'll have to pad the conrete, and find a way to attach the structures without drilling too much, direct path to the area from the building, etc.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought that was something all of the daycares we researched mentioned. Or maybe it's just policy that most of them set up rather than being a regulation. But who the crap knows, with DHS. Just because it's a rule doesn't mean they actually care or enforce it.

kevinpate
10-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Not aware of an outdoor requirement, but many, probably most, centers (commercial and home based) do include outdoor time when weather permits. It's healthy for the wee ones, the workers, and it burns off some of the pent up energy reserves. That's as useful to day care haunts as it is for elementary schools to have recess time.

Pete
10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
SandRidge already has a downtown child care facility (in that parking structure due east of their tower) and is planning to included an expanded version in their new amenities building, and I know there are other centers downtown, so there has to be a way to make these things work in that area.

Also, Devon has the huge advantage of not only have a multi-acre park on it's campus but the entire Myriad Gardens directly across the street.

jn1780
10-03-2011, 09:49 PM
They will make the kids work on the thirteenth floor.

Maybe they find it easier to just pay their employees daycare bills.

bombermwc
10-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Pete - that's why you have to have some direct access. You're not going to shove 20 kids on an elevator at a time to go down to the ground floor play area. And you're sure as hell not going to cross a street with them. Ever tried to move more than a couple kids anywhere at a time? It's complicated to integrate that sort of thing into a facility unless you just ignore the outside thing. And personally, i'd rather have my kid be able to play outdoors.

kevinpate
10-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Street crossing isn't all that complex. a wee bit of training, a rope with handles that space the wee ones single file, and the fact that most youngsters are actually rather complacent and mindful of authority figures.

Well, mindful of most excluding their parents. After all, they have to push someone's buttons, lol.

Pete
10-04-2011, 08:37 AM
bomber, they could easily establish a day care in the garden wind, on the ground floor if necessary, and immediately adjacent to their park.

This is what SandRidge is doing in their amenities building.

soonermike
10-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I left Devon in April and unless something has changed in the past six months, there will not be any childcare in the new complex. This question was raised by employees at town hall meetings where both Larry Nichols and John Richels both stated that Devon will not be providing any on-site childcare.

bombermwc
10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Street crossing isn't all that complex. a wee bit of training, a rope with handles that space the wee ones single file, and the fact that most youngsters are actually rather complacent and mindful of authority figures.

Well, mindful of most excluding their parents. After all, they have to push someone's buttons, lol.

I'm going out a limb and saying you don't have a 3 year old here....cause they don't know how to do that. We're not talking about school-age kids that practice follow the leader all day between class/music/pe/lunch.....those kids aren't gonig to be in the daycase beacuse, shock, they're in school. It's the younger group that's the issue...those that don't understand the concept yet. 2 year olds just don't do that, but they still need outdoors time.

As for Devon, it's probably an easy way to remove the liability as well. They're an oil and gas company, not a childcare company. It's a perk, but there's a laundry list of issues that can come up for both the parents and kids.

kevinpate
10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
bombermc, you may have less faith, or perhaps less experience, with wee ones.

Though my own are now all grown, and one has begun growing her own crop of wee ones, a steady parade of the looking forward to turning 5 someday crowd have had the run of our place for over a decade. The barely 2's ... yeah, they can at times be a lot like herding cats.

By 30 months though, there's some real magic going on more often than not.

metro
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm with bomber, some of these people clearly don't have a toddler. I have a toddler and I can tell you not only would it not happen, but it would be a HUGE insurance liability, and insurance and DHS might even prohibit crossing the street. With a 6 to 1 teacher to student ratio, this is not happening with kids under 4, and possibly even older.