View Full Version : The Inbox

Thunder
09-29-2011, 01:00 AM
How many of ya'all have an email address that is never used or stopped being used for years? I got quite a few that I haven't used in several years and then some I don't even remember. Everyone know my primary email address is ThunderOKC@aol.com. I also have ThunderOKC@yahoo.com that I have not even used for several years, but still use it for the ID on YIM regularly. Well, I have something interesting to share. :-)

Inside the inbox of ThunderOKC@yahoo.com is the Topic Notifications for OKCTalk.com. It goes all the way back to 2008. This is the email that I used for this forum. How many Topic Notification emails were gone unchecked? Nearly 24,000! :-O I just deleted them all and now its empty. LOL!

I am still subscribed to Topic Notification for this forum with the Yahoo email address, because when I am logged on YIM, which is almost always 24/7, I receive email notifications from YIM popping up on the lower right portion of the screen. When I see the title of it, I know what topic received a new post, so I go to check quickly.

Thanks for reading another interesting material from Thunder!

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 06:27 AM
I have utilized multiple email addresses for many years, originally they were based on a particular business use (JohnTV, Video Vigilante, PI related, general contract work, etc.) and a personal email account. In recent years I've created email addresses specific for social media sites and junk mail. I find it useful to have an individual email address for my social media accounts so posts and such are archived there - if you ever try and find a particular post on your FaceBook page from say a year ago, you'll know why this is a good idea. I also have an email address I use when signing up for stuff and I figure they are going to bombard me with junk mail.

SoonerDave
09-29-2011, 07:21 AM
I have two old Cox email addresses that I stopped using when I got a Gmail account, but I check it every now and then because there are still one or two folks that haven't updated their mailing lists....aside from those, it is FLOODED with spam/junk. Most of the time that's the addy I provide for marketing folks that are obviously harvesting emails.

As an aside, one of the reasons I like gmail so much is that their spam filter is pretty darned good, and most of the rest is easy to build filter rules to either junk upon receipt or "relabel" such that I never see it unless I just want to look at it.

BBatesokc
09-29-2011, 07:43 AM
I always avoid 'free' email accounts provided by COX etc. If I go to change Internet providers I lose my email address. A third party like Gmail or one tied to a domain name you own is always the better option.